• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Slaythe

*posts murky jpgs*

I sent png I don't understand why they turned into jpg.

Here's one D:

amarec_20170328_155247.png

Byvar

So the consensus right now, from discord and here :
- ps4pro version is perfect
- regular ps4 has had no gameplay stutter for anyone, it might have occasionally stuttered in cutscenes for some, but not frequently and hasn't been noticeable out of hours of playthrough
That's fantastic news! So it's either because:
  • KingdomHops was using the Twitch app on PS4 which somehow slowed down the game
  • His hard drive was fragmented which caused the extra load times mid-cutscene
  • The problem is exclusive to regular PS4s
  • It occurs randomly, like the save crashing
Or a combination of any of those points. I just hope it gets fixed for regular PS4s too if that was the cause (I play on one), and they get rid of some of the other issues.
Also, let me know when you get to Beast's Castle since in the stream the stuttering wasn't that bad before then either.

BigEmil

I sent png I don't understand why they turned into jpg.

Here's one D:

amarec_20170328_155247.png

Nice high res UI one of my gripes with on emulation the UI and effects can't be touched up so it looks so bad and jarring not to mention bad visual and audio accuracy on top of that in the pcsx2 emu. And again on top of that SE improved some visuals touched up here and there in PS3 Final Mix Remix versions so we get that on PS4 too which is absent in PS2 version
PS4 version truly the definitive version collection (Well PS4 Pro first but yeah)

Quick ranking of the series

1. Kingdom Hearts
2. Kingdom Hearts II
3. Kingdom Hearts: re:Chain of Memories
4. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
5. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
6. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
7. Kingdom Hearts: re:Coded

Not counting Unchained, Back Cover or 0.2

Slaythe

That's fantastic news! So it's either because:
  • KingdomHops was using the Twitch app on PS4 which somehow slowed down the game
  • His hard drive was fragmented which caused the extra load times mid-cutscene
  • The problem is exclusive to regular PS4s
  • It occurs randomly, like the save crashing
Or a combination of any of those points. I just hope it gets fixed for regular PS4s too if that was the cause (I play on one), and they get rid of some of the other issues.
Also, let me know when you get to Beast's Castle since in the stream the stuttering wasn't that bad before then either.

It can't be random. KingdomHops experienced them more than 10 times, while similar things happened, and Bizkit finished the entire game, and did not experience any stutter whatsoever.

Out of possibilities left, there are :

- physical + reg ps4 (very likely to not be a problem but not confirmed 100% yet)

- KingdomHops' ps4 being faulty

- 60 fps stream function causing too much stress on regular ps4

So that's encouraging.

Quick ranking of the series

1. Kingdom Hearts
2. Kingdom Hearts II
3. Kingdom Hearts: re:Chain of Memories
4. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
5. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
6. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
7. Kingdom Hearts: re:Coded

Not counting Unchained, Back Cover or 0.2

Add KH2FM lv1 Crit as the 0., cause it's on op ;) .

Vibed

How do I get this KH 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 bundle from Best Buy? I can't find it online. Never played KH, so I'm excited to jump in relatively soon.

Cornbread78

How do I get this KH 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 bundle from Best Buy? I can't find it online. Never played KH, so I'm excited to jump in relatively soon.

This is how I'm going to roll as well, but not until I finish, Mas Effect, Nier, Horizon and Persona 5, which could take me the rest of the year to do...

Feeroper

So having both 1.5/2.5 and 2.8 - what is the recommended order for all the games together? I've seen the posts that show the 1.5/2.5 order but how about if we include 2.8 as well?

I'd like to do a big play through of the series having only completed 1 & 2 back in the PS2 days.

So having both 1.5/2.5 and 2.8 - what is the recommended order for all the games together? I've seen the posts that show the 1.5/2.5 order but how about if we include 2.8 as well?

I'd like to do a big play through of the series having only completed 1 & 2 back in the PS2 days.

1.5>2.5>2.8. That's really the best way.

But for completionist sake:
KH1,
Re:Com,
KH2,
358/2,
BBS,
ReCoded,
DDD,
Unchained.

358/2 takes place during the events of KH1, but you'd get more out of watching it after KH2. Unchained is pretty standalone, but it's best to just watch it towards the end anyway.

Slaythe

I think order of release is the best.

Kingdom Hearts 1

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (but if you don't like it, skip to 2, it's a special game with cards !)

Kingdom Hearts 2 (it's the high point of the series, phenomenal game if you play on the hardest difficulty which makes the gameplay shine, a bit too easy otherwise)

Kingdom Hearts 352/days (it's a movie... it takes place before KH2, it gives you more background info about KH2 characters, but spoils a lot of surprises, i'd watch it after 2)

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, it's a prequel and happens before KH 1, but add too many confusing plot points to be seen as proper "starting point" IMO. You'll enjoy it more by playing it after all the other games.

KH coded (another movie)

KH DDD

KH 0.2 This takes place after BBS and around KH1

Slaythe

why are those letterboxed??

They removed the option to resize the game.

So it's permanently letterboxed. But it's so small it's basically invisible when you're playing.

It's extremely thin so I'm not noticing it, and I'm usually extremely bothered by those.

Dear God, that command menu font -.-

I played on PS4 Pro for my review. No treasure-chest stutter, no save game crashes (yet) on KH2, and the image quality is damn fantastic. I was stunned at how good the character models and portraits look in 4K. The touch-up work done for PS3 still shines here.

Slaythe

Dear God, that command menu font -.-

I played on PS4 Pro for my review. No treasure-chest stutter, no save game crashes (yet) on KH2, and the image quality is damn fantastic. I was stunned at how good the character models and portraits look in 4K. The touch-up work done for PS3 still shines here.

Glad you liked it ! Indeed I am very pleased by the port. The load times being instant are the biggest change.

They have fixed Sora's ingame face.

He used to look off because of the eyes placement. :D

ac028132240dab8bb26b96fe2260e26c.png

37c40425765ba41e9ac07c720dd7bf46.png

He looks closer to his cutscene counterpart now, in terms of proportions.

Kawngi

Never played anything from the series, looking forward to hopping in later on the Pro whenever UPS shows up today

The load times being instant are the biggest change.

I didn't expect that to be such a difference maker, but it *really* speeds up the pace of play. My cherished boss-killing slow-motion fade in KH1 is half as long, though!

I'm finding little things like enemy movement and dodge/block timings easier to discern in 60fps.

Slaythe

I didn't expect that to be such a difference maker, but it *really* speeds up the pace of play. My cherished boss-killing slow-motion fade in KH1 is half as long, though!

I'm finding little things like enemy movement and dodge/block timings easier to discern in 60fps.

Ahah yeah.

Also, I took that screenshot and booted the ps2 game...

The 60 FPS feels so smooth. The inputs are much faster, the game responds so well. I felt sick by simply moving around to get to the tower on ps2 while playing on ps4.... This is shocking.

Ahah yeah.

Also, I took that screenshot and booted the ps2 game...

The 60 FPS feels so smooth. The inputs are much faster, the game responds so well. I felt sick by simply moving around to get to the tower on ps2 while playing on ps4.... This is shocking.

Assuming you are from the US, you should try the PAL version!

Are you also noticing things like platforming are easier? It's subtle, but that's what you get from playing the original dozens of times. I can "feel" when to jump a little better, and manual camera control really emphasizes Sora's cardinal directions when moving.

Slaythe

Assuming you are from the US, you should try the PAL version!

I'm PAL.

You mean the "cinematic movie-like experience" ? 25 FPs 20% sped down.

=(

But it was the first time I got to hear FF characters talk, and it was dubbed in my own language, a first for Square games ! I didn't speak english back then, so it was an acceptable price to pay !

Slaythe

Are you also noticing things like platforming are easier? It's subtle, but that's what you get from playing the original dozens of times. I can "feel" when to jump a little better, and manual camera control really emphasizes Sora's cardinal directions when moving.

Actually, the physics are slightly affected by 60 fps. For instance you can't jump over some stairs in KH2 :p .

But the removal of any input delay is the saving grace when it comes to timing your jumps !

edit : crap, sorry for double post

Byvar

It can't be random. KingdomHops experienced them more than 10 times, while similar things happened, and Bizkit finished the entire game, and did not experience any stutter whatsoever.

Out of possibilities left, there are :

- physical + reg ps4 (very likely to not be a problem but not confirmed 100% yet)
- KingdomHops' ps4 being faulty
- 60 fps stream function causing too much stress on regular ps4

So that's encouraging.
Someone's still getting lag pauses on regular PS4 so it doesn't seem limited to KingdomHops's PS4 or the stream function. I guess we'll see if it's the regular+physical problem once more people progress further in KH2.

Just ordered this and 2.8 for in store pickup at Best Buy. Never played anything from the series but with ME being a travesty I needed something to play and the deal for buying both was solid.

Burbeting

Banned
I hope I can hear more experiences about Base PS4 here. Feeling held back due to KH2 issues so much so I'm not sure if I should buy this on european release.

Orion514

Going to pick up my GameStop preorder on lunch today. I have Pro, so i'm excited to see how it is in 4k with no loading.

Cruxist

No chance of saves transferring from PS3 to PS4 is there? As much as I love KH2, there's just too many games out to really want to replay it again right now.

Slaythe

I am trying to confirm who has digital and physical among the people that reported issues.

No chance of saves transferring from PS3 to PS4 is there? As much as I love KH2, there's just too many games out to really want to replay it again right now.

It's night and day with the ps3 version. Honestly this plays and looks incredible. If you're a fan I think you should still consider it tbh.

Slaythe

As said, it makes no difference. Physical disc is just used for verification on boot, there's no data running from it.

I would be really surprised if that had anything to do with it since disc version runs from the HDD too.

That's correct, but what you download digitally is not exactly the same as what is installed from the disc.

It usually doesn't make any difference, but I am just trying to get more elements before coming up with an assumption.

If everybody that has issues does indeed have the physical copy, it would certainly point towards something. While if it's mixed, it means the cause of the issue is gonna be a lot harder to identify. Can't hurt to ask around :) .

Also Frank, you might want to edit the OP to state that ps4pro version is in the clear, and that the save crashes are rare. :p

BigEmil

As said, it makes no difference. Physical disc is just used for verification on boot, there's no data running from it.
The disc drives runs at random intervals while running the game to check it again does it not? Maybe it could happen at those times but of course unlikely

Top Bottom