• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trade In 3DS Get PS Vita For As Low As 149.99 At Best Buy

TheNatural

My Member!
eBay and Amazon charge fees. Right now, you can get a used one for $130. Let's say you sell it for that price and give free shipping (because others are). Let's look at eBay.

$130 - $9 (sold fee) - ~$5 (shipping out of your pocket) = $116. Plus you have to deal with scammers, actually getting it sold, the post office (for me it's about 15 minutes away), and potential issues with the shipment itself. Some people want that extra $16, but in the hour combined time it would take me to do all that stuff (listing, driving, packaging) I'd rather just lose the $15.

The shipping isn't out of your pocket, the shipping is charged by the seller. Like I said, it depends on how much money you want to make or lose. Not to mention, if you have a 3DS, chances are you have games for it, and the game trade in value isn't exactly great either - selling a 3DS with a game online adds more money.

It just depends on what you want to do. Less money + less hassle, or more money, for a little more hassle and waiting.

Einbroch

Banned
The shipping isn't out of your pocket, the shipping is charged by the seller. Like I said, it depends on how much money you want to make or lose. Not to mention, if you have a 3DS, chances are you have games for it, and the game trade in value isn't exactly great either - selling a 3DS with a game online adds more money.

It just depends on what you want to do. Less money + less hassle, or more money, for a little more hassle and waiting.

Oh god yes, game trade-ins are AWFUL. But others on these sites are offering to sell the 3DS for $130 final charge, that means you'll want to sell it for $130 final or wait around a while.

If I can hurry and finish Tales of the Abyss 3d and Persona 4 Golden gets announced for US, maybe I will do this deal.

It's definitely coming.

Edit: mfer

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I never understand why people would do these deals when they can just sell through Kijiji/Craigslist and get more value.

Instant gratification and not having to deal with scammers/weirdos?

But if all Best Buys are like the one near me, be prepared to get less than $100 for the unit. When they say "good", they really mean "mint". If you've got a scratch, scuff mark, nick, or whatever, be prepared to be given a rating of "poor".

You can't just insert that SD card into any 3DS and have them work. They are tied to your 3DS system.

Not ambassador games, from what I understand.

At least I hope you couldn't because I would have totally done that before selling my 3DS. ;_;

What are you guys talking about?!

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/gi_index.jsp?menu=transfer&submenu=ctr-gi-apps-transfer-what-data

All content downloaded via the eShop on both systems (DSiWare, Ambassador games and status, 3DS Downloadable software, etc) will be combined together onto the target system.

After the transfer is complete, titles will be available to re-download from the Nintendo eShop.

Any game data that is duplicated on both systems is overwritten by the data on the source system.

The eShop balance from both systems is combined together. (Total amount cannot exceed $200 or the transfer will be canceled.)

Data associated with any pre-installed software or applications (Face Raiders, Streetpass Mii Plaza, etc). Only the data associated with the source system is retained.

Photos, Videos, and Sound files

Any photo and sound files that exist on the target system’s internal memory will be overwritten. However, photo and sound files saved to the target system’s SD Card are still retained.

System Settings from the source system (Parental Controls, Internet settings, etc)

Save data associated to DSiWare and Nintendo 3DS Downloads

The WFC ID associated to DS online games.

image.php

Don't mind me nabbing this one.

Mastperf

Why "gamers" would wish death on such a nicely done piece of hardware is beyond me. Think of all the possibilities the Vita could offer if it took off and was heavily supported.

Emitan

I can't get over how awesome my future lime green Vita will look next to my blue 3DS.

If they bring that white 3DS over here though... man. When are we gonna get materials that can change color?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
1. Buy 3DS
2. Trade 3DS plus $$ for Vita
3. Regret trading 3DS
4. Trade Vita plus $$ in for 3DS revision
5. Miss Vita
6. Buy Vita

That's some deal, but I wouldn't take it, really. I'm not sure who would do a trade-in *at this point of time* (excluding down the road when Vita's software lib is stronger), especially with the promise of more games coming for 3DS (along with what's out now), versus the Vita's launch lineup. Asuming they see the potential in the Vita's eventual offerings, why would they not have seen the 3DS's promise, considering they may have bought it for the same reason?

TheNatural

My Member!
FYI - that used 3DS that is just a regular black 3DS went for $137.50 at the end. Charged $10 shipping, which is a little bit of overcharging, but that's a good $30 plus more than this trade it.

Good deal i suppose, but i never got the idea of trading in my consoles/handhelds especially not for a different one, partly because I predict this will end up happening if i ever did trade in:

1. Buy 3DS
2. Trade 3DS plus $$ for Vita
3. Regret trading 3DS
4. Trade Vita plus $$ in for 3DS revision
5. Miss Vita
6. Buy Vita

And partly because I think just waiting for a price drop or something is far more financially sound.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Games are still tied to handhelds/console and not accounts. It's not as simple as simply putting the content on an SD card, taking it to a new system, and activating it there. You have to have both systems as the same time and transfer it.

If you traded in a console you can't just put all the information on an SD card for later use from what I understand. You would have to have the new system and the old system at the same time.

Tookay

Why "gamers" would wish death on such a nicely done piece of hardware is beyond me. Think of all the possibilities the Vita could offer if it took off and was heavily supported.

I don't think anybody wishes death on the Vita, beyond the stupidest of fanboys. That said, gaming isn't a charity where we prop up a system just because it has possibilities.

Games are still tied to handhelds/console and not accounts. It's not as simple as simply putting the content on an SD card, taking it to a new system, and activating it there. You have to have both systems as the same time and transfer it.

If you traded in a console you can't just put all the information on an SD card for later use from what I understand. You would have to have the new system and the old system at the same time.

Ahh, I get what you mean now. That's an odd way of doing things...

Yeah, I thought for sure Nintendo would FINALLY get an account based system with the 3DS, but it sounds like Wii U will the first Nintendo console to implement this.

You never know, with all the features they've pumped into the 3DS post-release they may update it for accounts. Otherwise WiiU/3DS interoperability will be pretty difficult.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What the fuck does that mean? Resell value is resell value? Meaning anything that is your offer you take, regardless of what it is, is the same?

Nice to know that $20-$60 more doesn't mean shit to you, but I'm guessing for a few people it does. Just right off on eBay, here's a used one going for $112 near the end of it's auction, with a little unreasonable $10 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-3D...ideo_Games&hash=item4cfe908f01#ht_2462wt_1139

If you want maximum value for something, trade in's isn't the way to do it.
A person with 776,315 seller feedback is running a business. The winning bid was $137.55. For the person that bought it... paying $147.55 shipped is really stupid when you can get a new one for 150$ + tax + the cheapest possibly free shipping.

My post was talking about how keeping it until a revision comes to get some use out of it is an option you can and I would do. If you do, you will lose more than $37.55 because the resale value will drop. So, freaking out about $37.55 or more is completely pointless because not wanting to fool with selling it yourself and keeping it until a revision comes are both valid and understandable options.

Takao

Banned
HOLY cra[p I just saw a viat commericaldf during bod's burgers

I have translated this into English:

Egads good sirs, I believe I have just laid my eyes upon the first advertisement for the precious PlayStation Vita handheld video game platform during the quaint animated television show, Bob's Burgers. I am quite excited.

GQman2121

Banned
FYI, you don't necessarily have to use the $100 on a Vita. Once they ring up your 3DS, that credit to placed on a gift card and you can do as you please with it. Go buy that new dishwasher that the wifey has been asking for.

Top Bottom