• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

Does it really matter if Horizon did 950k or 1050k? Either is a great result for a single-platform new IP

Didnt expect Dark Souls 3 to be one of the 10 best selling games of the year.

Good for them.

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised by this. They might be saying that Souls is over, but given how well it does, this is obviously not the case. And that makes me really happy

Oddish1

lol, spin it how you want. The userbase argument is silly, sales don't extrapolate to the size if the userbase, the zelda fanbase is still there. That's why you see games sell as well or better at launch then 4 years into a console life. It's a weak attempt to downplay. Lots of downplaying Horizon here, pathetic.

I think when your game has over 100% attachment rate then it's a sign that said game is somewhat limited by the availability of the console it's attached to. Like, if there were people willing to buy Zelda without a Switch, how many people passed on getting it until Switches were available?

The denial is clear: you struggle to face the idea that PS4 sales are near 800k (which is why I used 700-800k to quantify what near means) while the PC sales are 220k. I mean you still do, as you scurry besides this point, in each post, poorly trying to paint the discussion being something it never was.

That 18k really doesn't change the point, like many of your replies: Nier PS4 sales can be estimated 700-800k while PC sales are 220k.

Point is, you're comparing shipped numbers you're extrapolating (on the higher side, how convenient) vs sold copies (on the lower side).

The 220k figure (which is outdated but whatever) is about sold copies that has been estimated by Steamspy while you're figuring 700 to 800k copies can only be PS4 ones, based on shipped numbers.

There's no struggling with that idea, I'm just telling you, what you're comparing are oranges and apples.
Hence why you're taking it to the level of not reading this very thread and jumping to conclusions, to get to the same side again.

But keep going on with your personnal vendetta because someone dared to bring up some facts.

Wait, is that only Xbox, or is it including Win10 digital games aswell?

if only xbox, what about people who buy it on the web store? even those that only play the game on PC for example? would those numbers not be added?

i honestly don't think Microsoft is making a distinction between win10 and xbox anymore
at least for play anywhere it should be obvious.

This has been fun guys

See on the forum on other topics

Signing off from this thread now. See you next month. Mat will be back on the forum and then you have a double barrelled shotgun of 2 NPD guys

You've been downplaying in this topic for a while now. You aren't exactly being subtle about it.
No, you are wrong... Lot of Gafers said before this thread that Zelda had no chance against Horizon (Bigger usar base + Marketing)... And look what happened. Also asked for a confirmation to the NPD guy. Thats it.. You are the console warrior here, not me... I have both games and i love both.

No, you are wrong... Lot of Gafers said before this thread that Zelda had no chance against Horizon (Bigger usar base + Marketing)... And look what happened. Also asked for a confirmation to the NPD guy. Thats it.. You are the console warrior here, not me... I have both games and i love both.

You have been doing this for pages now...give it up jesus. No one cares. You having both is irrelevant and means nothing.

So you are at war because some people said something. Yeah that's not petty at all.

Stop reading me comments.. simple.

Good idea. Ignored.

Toni

Are we expecting the Switch to to outsell the PS4 next month? Let alone the following months in the US?

Whats the general concensus?

PS4 and Xbox One base was around 200k to 300k after the holidays.

Crom

The fact that a new IP is even close to a 20 years established flag ship franchise is the bigger story.

What? Both did as well as they hoped they could.Zelda is limited by supply constraints. Switch just launched and is hard to find.

Horizon is a new IP that was heavily pushed on a system with a large install base.

Looks like a win for both

I think when your game has over 100% attachment rate then it's a sign that said game is somewhat limited by the availability of the console it's attached to. Like, if there were people willing to buy Zelda without a Switch, how many people passed on getting it until Switches were available?

You just proved my point about userbase, thanks. Zelda is also on Wiiu.

Kill3r7

Are we expecting the Switch to to outsell the PS4 next month? Let alone the following months in the US?

It completely depends on stock and availability. I don't see Nintendo being able to meet demand until after the summer.

Zedark

So the Wii u version sold zero copies?
No, but that doesn't negate this: few people own a Wii U and even fewer will go out and buy one for Zelda. They will wait for the Switch to become available before they buy.

I am willing to stake a prediction that Zelda will have a 90% attach rate over thr next month as well, showing I think that Zelda Switch could have done better with more availability. But as I said, it's a moot point to argue since we can't have that knowledge anymore, and both games did great regardless so the argument is not necessary imo anyway.

I dont think so, the Switch still sold out everywhere. The PS4 has no problem to supply the demand. PS4>NS>XBO for the next month... Maybe.

Zedark

I think so, IIRC April is a bad month for hardware sales typically, yet Switch is still riding on initial demand and MK8D is coming as well. I think they will stock approximately and outsell the competition.

crazyprac

We finally get more info via npd and y'all result into petty console/game warrior bs.

OT, can't wait until all publishers give out digital numbers. And I'm hoping that the price for digital games will get cheaper vs physical, that's the only thing holding me back going full digital.

tzare

there also gaffers that said the contrary, that a guerrilla game had zero chances vs a establlished IP+ console launch.

All I'll say about Zelda sales is that "it was expected."

Seriously. Go back to every NPD thread when Hyrule Warriors, Zelda WW HD and TP HD were released. Go see how high those games charted despite being a WiiU game and how well those games sold on the WiiU.

Zelda's fanbase in the US market has always been reflective of an extremely sizable core audience who are not only significant in quantity, but truly loyal to the franchise, with a large percentage of them buying even remasters and spin-offs.

The performance of the Zelda franchise in the US market has always been unquestionably strong.

There are some games that go above and beyond the notion of their limited install base and Zelda is one of them. That being said, Zelda also hits its peak sooner, given its audience is more the hardcore gamer.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I dont think so, the Switch still sold out everywhere. The PS4 has no problem to supply the demand. PS4>NS>XBO for the next month... Maybe.

That's false. PS4's first two months, at least, saw the console being supply constrained.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My name is Sam Naji not Nagini and why should I get fired ?. Numbers are numbers are numbers. NPD does not take sides, we just report on the business impartially.
Sorry. I couldn't recall the spelling of your last name and thought the Harry potter reference would get a laugh. No malice intended.

There have been several gaffers who have gotten in trouble over the years for leaking npd numbers. They either get baned, asked to get banned or just disappear. You guys stopped providing numbers a while back so it was surprising to see an official
Npd employee come on gaf and start posting numbers again. It's been years since we had actual sales numbers. Tell your bosses sending you here was a good thing.

Lots of people also said HZD would bomb in many threads.
Best not to really get caught up in that stuff sometimes.

This has been fun guys

See on the forum on other topics

Signing off from this thread now. See you next month. Mat will be back on the forum and then you have a double barrelled shotgun of 2 NPD guys

Thanks for the info.

Sorry. I couldn't recall the spelling of your last name and thought the Harry potter reference would get a laugh. No malice intended.

There have been several gaffers who have gotten in trouble over the years for leaking npd numbers. They either get baned, asked to get banned or just disappear. You guys stopped providing numbers a while back so it was surprising to see an official
Npd employee come on gaf and start posting numbers again. It's been years since we had actual sales numbers. Tell your bosses sending you here was a good thing.

What ?
He did not post any numbers .
The numbers we get are from leaks or working out things like usual .

If they sold ~500k at launch then they can probably supply at around the same rate they've been doing since then, seems like that's more or less the case in Japan and MK8 should come with a stock boost. So yeah they should handily outsell the others in April.

Zedark

All I'll say about Zelda sales is that "it was expected."

Seriously. Go back to every NPD thread when Hyrule Warriors, Zelda WW HD and TP HD were released. Go see how high those games charted despite being a WiiU game and how well those games sold on the WiiU.

Zelda's fanbase in the US market has always been reflective of an extremely sizable core audience who are not only significant in quantity, but truly loyal to the franchise, with a large percentage of them buying even remasters and spin-offs.

The performance of the Zelda franchise in the US market has always been unquestionably strong.

There are some games that go above and beyond the notion of their limited install base and Zelda is one of them. That being said, Zelda also hits its peak sooner, given its audience is more the hardcore gamer.
I think people were doubtful because of the expected Switch shipments rather than the game's appeal.

I think people were doubtful because of the expected Switch shipments rather than the game's appeal.

If there were poor Switch stock, the game would've simply sold more on the WiiU instead.

I firmly believe the game would still sell upward of 900k even if it was released just on the WiiU.

Wow Nier actually charted 9th. That's great news! And I don't know why, but I thought KH would chart a little higher.

Give it a rest guys, noone cares. It shouldn't be this important to you which platform the game sold the most on. Be happy that a niche game was successful and that both PS4 and PC gamers got to enjoy it. It's a shame it wasn't released on Xbox too.

Whining about sales in a sales thread will you get you far.

If you don't care, don't post.

Reg

Banned
But Horizon was suppose to be one of the biggest bombs of 2017?!?

The downplaying of its terrific sales by some posters is pathetic.

leeh

Late to the party here but good to see Nintendo smash it outside the park with switch, and to see Horizon do super well.

Other than MS, you're no where to be seen ha.

I will be surprised if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gets the top spot next month. Mario Kart 8 released on Wii U when there were over 6.25 million Wii U consoles shipped (estimating 5+ million sold based on Wikipedia), so by the time MK8D comes out, I don't think there will be more than 2.8 to 3 million Switch units out there.

Happy for both 1-2-Switch and especially Super Bomberman R. And if those sales are not counting digital, then they probably did even better.

Top Bottom