• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

They will come eventually but if they dont get enough core third party support esp the big sellers they are in trouble as they cannot rely on casuals to get them through this time around. If Nintendo is going to rely only on first party support this is going to be the next game cube I fear.

I called this out last E3 and was fricken harped on. Wii U is going to put Nintendo squarely back where they were with the N64 on, which is a solid 3rd place.

It's clearly in stock in some places and not in others, I think their inventory management certainly seems to favour the online retailers as opposed to the brick & mortars..

but any way you shake it, if MCV can claim some retailers are telling them they're sold out (and honestly, claim its in ample supply if you want, attempts to discredit an industry supplement like MCV are sad) - shipments are low before you take into account sales at all... like HALF as low as is normal for a major console launch.

I'm afraid this says more about the economy and the UK high street than anything else. I don't think we're top dog in Europe any more.

Coolwhip

Banned
I called this out last E3 and was fricken harped on. Wii U is going to put Nintendo squarely back where they were with the N64 on, which is a solid 3rd place.

Haha right, you were in solitude with negative claims like that on GAF. You have no idea how ps720 will do yet. Times have changed in 8 years. And basing your judgement on the first weekend sales in the frickin UK.. pretty pointless.

Averon

Yup. Nintendo have one year (most likely less) to get their shit together before the deluge of next-gen excitement from Durango and Orbis suck all the oxygen out of the proverbial room.

Brera

Banned
2 Nintendo games at launch is a JOKE!

Not even classics, just EAD shovelware*. They can't even be bothered to support it properly!

How I wish for a return to the SNES and N64 launches where Nintendo released games that are remembered for decades to come!

* Nintendo shovelware is not the same as Ubi shovelware!

Sounds like that there are sellouts in certain areas. It will be interesting to see once happens in the full week once second shipments and redistributions are done. I wonder what percent of Wii U shipments were basic. The bundles vs basic sales were even more uneven that I though it would be.

Haha right, you were in solitude with negative claims like that on GAF. You have no idea how ps720 will do yet. Times have changed in 8 years. And basing your judgement on the first weekend sales in the frickin UK.. pretty pointless.

If it does well elsewhere (inc. some PAL territories), I'm fine. It can bomb here as long as I get software. :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Not even classics, just EAD shovelware*. They can't even be bothered to support it properly!

How I wish for a return to the SNES and N64 launches where Nintendo released games that are remembered for decades to come!

...NSMBU and Nintendo Land are now shovelware? Seriously?

meta4

It sold out everywhere, just like the PS3 did in 2006.

The fact that PS3 sold so much is itself fascinating. It is very hard to compare Sony brand loyalty with Nintendo's. If Nintendo or any other video game company at that time released a 600$ console by now they would have got bankrupt. Even the hardcore Nintendo fans are not in enough numbers to pay that much of money unlike Sony.

I hope not but it seems Nintendo is shooting itself in the foot with this approach.Really good gimmicks may sell a underpowered system but this tablet gimmick just does not seem enough to lure the casuals IMO. I may be proved wrong though as you never know what Nintendo has up its sleeve.

Ikael

Not quite surprised. I do consider myself a Nintendo fan, and this is the least excited I have ever been for a new Nintendo console launch. Everything about it screams "derivative" to me: the name, the controller aiming to compete against tablets, the launch games (except for ZombiU)... little to nothing to be excited about. Not even its future potential. I don't believe that it is a matter of price or marketing per se as it happened with the 3DS, but rather the whole product design and philosophy behind it, which is a far more insidious issue to tackle and correct.

mokeyjoe

Don't really know what to make of this. The launch has been so low key it's almost as if Nintendo have sneaked it onto the market.

Word of mouth seems to be good for the console. I expect it will be a solid seller over the long term to those Wii only gamers who are looking to upgrade. I think it'll be more of a gradual shift over to the new generation given the extrememly casual Wii demographic. It's not really a brand that's going to attract early adopters.

Majmun

I'm not buying this "economy in shambles" nonsense

High-tech luxury items are still getting sold in droves. Look at smartphones and tablets. Hell, parents are even buying iPads for their infants.

This is just a bad performance for the WiiU. No way around it.

Does anyone also have Ps2, GC and Xbox launchnumbers?

PaulLFC

Zavvi bundles are backordered, none of it available now, and HMV are completely out of stock.
A lot of places have stock, but also a lot of places do not have stock.
What are these "a lot of places"? I see HMV and Zavvi, that's two. Amazon could count as well although they'll have stock tomorrow. Three at a stretch.

Not quite surprised. I do consider myself a Nintendo fan, and this is the least excited I have ever been for a new Nintendo console launch. Everything about it screams "derivative" to me: the name, the controller aiming to compete against tablets, the launch games (except for ZombiU)... little to nothing to be excited about. Not even its future potential. I don't believe that it is a matter of price or marketing per se as it happened with the 3DS, but rather the whole product design and philosophy behind it, which is a far more insidious issue to tackle and correct.

Eh, it's much nicer than I expected. ZombiU aside, NL is wondrous for local MP, Mario is the best 2D platformer in years (not the best looking, I'm not blind, I appreciate Rayman a lot) and MiiVerse is just fabulous. Awful marketing (inc. the name) and a crazy price have quite possibly slit the console's throat. They need to adapt like a great boxer, now.

DSXBoy

At £300 Wii U is not just competing against other gaming consoles but against Ipads, Mini Ipads, I phones, Android Tablets, Kindles, Android smartphones. Apart from Nintendo fans, most hardcore gamers will not jump ship from Xbox 360 or PS3. The casual gamer has other far cheaper choices and there is no compelling game for the Wii U as Wii Sports was for Wii.
Wii was new, simple to understand and an impulse buy at £179 at launch in 2006.
Most casual gamers don't understand what Wii-U is for and think its too expensive.
The hype for this launch has been almost non existent and there were virtually no pre-order offers.
Personally, I love Nintendo but they have screwed up the Wii-U launch. I have got enough points on my Nectar card to buy Wii-U but as a casual gamer (I am an ex-hardcore gamer) there's no game that interests me. I'll wait and see. Just like the 3DS saga, I expect a substantial price reduction in the Spring.

I have been to HMV, Game, Sainsburys ASDA and Morrisons, They all have Wii U consoles in stock. It's not a Sell out.

I'm not buying this "economy in shambles" nonsense

High-tech luxury items are still getting sold in droves. Look at smartphones and tablets. Hell, parents are buying iPads for their infants.

This is just a bad performance for the WiiU. No way around it.

Does anyone also have Ps2, GC and Xbox launchnumbers?

The economy isn't in shambles anyway, it's not great, but we're well out of the depths of 2008/9 and unemployment has dipped to 7.8% and there are more people in work than ever before. We're quite a few steps away from shambles.

m.i.s.

Banned
First-party output is pathetic so far (present and future) and no one is going to buy a new console for a bunch of multiplatform ports. On top of it, Wii U is not by any means a cheap machine (Nintendo should already drop its integrated hardware and software philosophy), so no wonder it is doing so poorly.

Likely had probably the largest negative effect.

NES launched with Super Mario Bros; SNES, Super Mario World; N64, Super Mario 64; GCN, Luigi's Mansion placeholder while Sunshine was in development and Wii had playable demos of Super Mario Galaxy. ie hardware which really showed the promise of breakthrough new software.

I'll grant that some people probably perceive the games this way, but they're actually both very very good. If your post were a post on Miiverse I've no doubt that you'd be lacking the icon showing that you own either of them. Calling them shovelware is just downright stupid and diluting the meaning of the word.

BadWolf

Can't say I'm surprised or sad, don't think they deserve good sales for this effort of theirs. The hardware and idea/hook are very disappointing imo.

They will have a difficult time convincing the core crowd with ports and current gen hardware.

Simplicity was how they grabbed the casual audience last time around, the same won't work again (the gamepad has all the buttons of a normal controller and a screen to worry about).

ymmv

Banned
The fact that PS3 sold so much is itself fascinating. It is very hard to compare Sony brand loyalty with Nintendo's. If Nintendo or any other video game company at that time released a 600$ console by now they would have got bankrupt. Even the hardcore Nintendo fans are not in enough numbers to pay that much of money unlike Sony.

The PS3 was very expensive but it was still the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the block. Despite the high price, it was still a bargain for tech lovers and first adopters.

Apparently Asda are saying this when you try to order, despite showing it as in stock:

We have been informed by Nintendo that delivery into Asda of the Wii U consoles will be between 30th November and 15th December. We can assure customers that stock will ship to you as soon as it is received by Asda and fulfilled on a first come first served basis.

I wonder if there are any others doing similar things.

My argument was that after Nintendo's E3 showing the perfect storm that made the Wii a success wouldn't be duplicated this time around. Nintendo had lightning in a bottle with the Wii but as a company when it came to the hardcore Nintendo hadn't shown they learned anything from the previous generations. 3rd Partys, online and other factors were still non-existant however, at the time it didn't matter because Nintendo had a whole new audience to cater too. The casuals aren't going to be there for the Wii U like they were before. They have Ipad's and phones that more than adequately meet those needs. This launch needed to be pretty spectacular for them to gain enough traction to combat the shiny new Orbis and Durango and its just not enough. Next Gen Zelda and Mario will get all the hardcore to buy one and I will be there day 1 but its back to business as usual.

PaulLFC

It's clearly in stock in some places and not in others, I think their inventory management certainly seems to favour the online retailers as opposed to the brick & mortars..

but any way you shake it, if MCV can claim some retailers are telling them they're sold out (and honestly, claim its in ample supply if you want, attempts to discredit an industry supplement like MCV are sad) - shipments are low before you take into account sales at all... like HALF as low as is normal for a major console launch.

I'm afraid this says more about the economy and the UK high street than anything else. I don't think we're top dog in Europe any more.
If the shipments are low and it still didn't sell out, that's even worse.

Just because MCV claim it's "sold out" doesn't make it true. Anecdotal evidence from people who've actually been to shops and seen stock or no stock is a better indicator.

If the shipments are low and it still didn't sell out, that's even worse.

Just because MCV claim it's "sold out" doesn't make it true. Anecdotal evidence from people who've actually been to shops and seen stock or no stock is a better indicator.

They are trying to invoke images of the Wii, which really was sold out. You could spot which shops had got new stock by the queue that formed outside them. I highly doubt that this will be the case for Wii U.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I went into HMV to buy Far Cry 3 on Friday morning at 10am and there was just a huge pile of them sitting behind the counter. No advertising for it either.

PaulLFC

Look back in the topic, plenty of links to places that have stock
What? I just listed a load of places that have stock myself...

I was asking Wrestlemania to back up his claim of "a lot of places do not have stock", because from a quick check it certainly doesn't seem that way.

Frillen

You sound upset. Had some N Stock huh?

That's not the case. If you look at the UK chart threads you will see that poster defending the shit out of the fact that Playstation All Stars debuted 38th in the UK chart, and falling of the charts this weeks. But WiiU selling 40k and out of stock lots of places is horrible according to him. Double standards.

What are these "a lot of places"? I see HMV and Zavvi, that's two. Amazon could count as well although they'll have stock tomorrow. Three at a stretch.
Amazon, Zavvi, HMV, Sainsburys, Asda, Very, Simply Games, Expansys. Those are some of the ones I've checked, and Asda are out of stock despite saying they have stock on the site, there are almost certainly a few others doing the same, although the only way to check would be trying to order.

warerare

Argos didn't run out at any point as far as I can tell. I was checking.

CEX have 91 pre-owned deluxe models in stock. That's really weird to my mind. Who buys a console and then sells it a day or two later? Just return it at that point.

We don't know how many people got the £199 deal at Amazon. Some people probably just made a cool £95 just walking it into CEX.

That's not the case. If you look at the UK chart threads you will see that poster defending the shit out of the fact that Playstation All Stars debuted 38th in the UK chart, and falling of the charts this weeks. But WiiU selling 40k and out of stock lots of places is horrible according to him. Double standards.

Oh I see, yeah your right about that then.

Brera

Banned
I'll grant that some people probably perceive the games this way, but they're actually both very very good. If your post were a post on Miiverse I've no doubt that you'd be lacking the icon showing that you own either of them. Calling them shovelware is just downright stupid and diluting the meaning of the word.

When it comes to Nintendo games, I have high standards. WE have high standards.

We long term Nintendo fans can only standby for so long with the shovelware...yes, shovelware Nintendo pump out.

I fear WiiU will fail due to Nintendo taking a backseat, releasing even less games to give third parties "a chance".

What a stupid tactic. No one wants shit third party games on a Nintendo console. If 3rd parties released the same standard of games on the Wii or WiiU then they might get sales.

WiiU has potential to be the worst Nintendo console ever, even worse than Wii if they take this route. Nintendoland is a worrying sign already. I'm enjoying MarioU but a real Mario game would have been so much better.

So far, Nintendo deserve the shit they are getting.

WiiU is a disaster. They need to bring out a proper Mario game quick time or at least start announcing the good shit! I've just realised that they've not announced ANYTHING apart from Smash brothers!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Amazon, Zavvi, HMV, Sainsburys, Asda, Very, Simply Games, Expansys. Those are some of the ones I've checked, and Asda are out of stock despite saying they have stock on the site, there are almost certainly a few others doing the same, although the only way to check would be trying to order.

Both Asda and Sainsburys in Leicester (Fosse Park) both had stock this morning, I was shopping at both earlier today.

Expansys are not exactly a big console seller, and I'm laughing at the idea of Very selling them still, oh be mine Holly, be mine!

meta4

When it comes to Nintendo games, I have high standards. WE have high standards.

We long term Nintendo fans can only standby for so long with the shovelware...yes, shovelware Nintendo pump out.

I fear WiiU will fail due to Nintendo taking a backseat, releasing even less games to give third parties "a chance".

What a stupid tactic. No one wants shit third party games on a Nintendo console. If 3rd parties released the same standard of games on the Wii or WiiU then they might get sales.

WiiU has potential to be the worst Nintendo console ever, even worse than Wii if they take this route. Nintendoland is a worrying sign already. I'm enjoying MarioU but a real Mario game would have been so much better.

So far, Nintendo deserve the shit they are getting.

WiiU is a disaster. They need to bring out a proper Mario game quick time or at least start announcing the good shit! I've just realised that they've not announced ANYTHING apart from Smash brothers!

You really think a new Mario game will get them out of this situation? First party alone will not save Nintendo this time I am afraid.

Brera

Banned

I had Nintendoland and traded it in for Mario, so I would be showing as owning them! :p

Top Bottom