• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Fox Mulder

Red Bull will try to keep both drivers after 2018, but I think it will be tough to counter deals from Mercedes and Ferrari.

They're looking fucked really unless Honda are amazing going into 2019. Ricciardo is up after 2018 and Renault is dumping them. They let Sainz go to Renault. Verstappen won't stick around in a shit car. Their young driver program is dry after pulling Gasly up. The new engine rules are still a few years off.

Maybe Honda will be amazing in 2019 and Kvyat went to train with monks on a mountain to gain WDC form.

xrnzaaas

It would be better if they introduced an F1 race in Zolder and rebranded it as a Dutch one since it's close to the border anyway. ;)

Burai

shitonmychest57
They're looking fucked really unless Honda are amazing going into 2019. Ricciardo is up after 2018 and Renault is dumping them. They let Sainz go to Renault. Verstappen won't stick around in a shit car. Their young driver program is dry after pulling Gasly up. The new engine rules are still a few years off.

Maybe Honda will be amazing in 2019 and Kvyat went to train with monks on a mountain to gain WDC form.

Sainz is on loan for a year. They could easily put him in at RBR in 2019.

Aiii

So not worth it

shas'la

I think there is a danger of doing too many street circuits.. they already are mostly train-fests. I hope we still get some entertaining permanent circuits under Liberty!

I think there is a danger of doing too many street circuits.. they already are mostly train-fests. I hope we still get some entertaining permanent circuits under Liberty!

Apparently Liberty are much more keen on street circuits rather than organisers having to build circuits that struggle to survive in places that don't have the motorsport history (like india for example). You also have the travel infrastructure to get to the track and a larger potential audience (which Malaysia suffered from).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hm, I think that we will see more street circut races in the future.

With Malaysia gone, F1 wants another race in Asia that would replace it. Street race in Vietnam and second race in China (Street race in Shanghai) are in talks.

Aiii

So not worth it
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...r-2021-kosten-deckel-budget-cap-12720072.html

From the article
Regarding engine rules:
- FIA and FOM jointly developed new engine regulations
- V6 turbo with 2 electric motors (MGU-H and MGU-K) expected
- many standardised parts to reduce complexity and costs
- power output of over 1000PS together with reduced aerodynamics are supposed to make cars more difficult to drive
- second MGU-K at the front axle wouldn't have generated enough electric power to offset weight increase
- FIA and FOM want to avoid lengthy arguments
- changes can be requested, but only if reasons are provided
- reasonable requests will be considered, categorical refusal to accept certain concepts will be ignored

Regarding decision making processes:
- Strategy Group and F1 Commission will cease to exist
- FIA and FOM want to be able to react quickly without lengthy arguments in commissions and teams trying to push for regulations that suit them
- to be independent of teams' opinions, Ross Brawn has put together a group of engineers to evaluate technical rule changes with regards to lap times and sensibility to dirty air

Regarding budget cap:
- budget cap is supposed to be ready for 2019
- costs are to be reduced gradually so that big teams can adapt slowly
- every team will be assigned at least one overseer
- most difficult task will be to convince teams that budget cap enforcement is watertight

Zaru

Yeah it's gonna be a hard sell that they can assure budget limit enforcements. How do you deal with those separate companies that are created for the technology side? You can't exactly make them stop researching/producing technology and "selling" the results to the racing team. Or at least it'd be really fucking difficult to get all teams to agree to that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Looks good to me. Engines become standardised in most parts, so it will be cheaper to develop and should allow for more manufacturers to step in.

Dissolving the strategy group in favor of Brawn's own team is definitely better, less bureaucracy and no hidden agenda's for any of its members.

Budget cap is great news, and glad they're starting so soon.

DBT85

I'm OK with all that.

Budget cap is going to be hard to enforce though.

Next up, let's talk about prize money.

Not sure how you stop Mercedes from using hq to build a £40k part and selling it to the Brackley team for £1 tho.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I like Valsecchi, but I think I'd prefer Nicholls and Franchitti who do Formula-E together.
I like Franchitti because anytime he makes a vague reference to something that happened in his career, I immediately know what he's talking about and it makes the commentary that much funnier.

Paraphrased example:
After watching the Mahindra teammates crash at Mexico:
Nicholls: "Have you ever crashed into a teammate before?"
Franchitti: "Yeah... (beat) Wasn't my fault though."

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I like Franchitti because anytime he makes a vague reference to something that happened in his career, I immediately know what he's talking about and it makes the commentary that much funnier.

Paraphrased example:
After watching the Mahindra teammates crash at Mexico:
Nicholls: "Have you ever crashed into a teammate before?"
Franchitti: "Yeah... (beat) Wasn't my fault though."

Yeah, he's had a much richer career than Valsecchi. Shame it got cut short.

DBT85

Sorry for random Q but...

What ever happened to the 18' low profile tyres?
Teams bitched that they'd have to spend money, so it didn't happen. It is more likely now that brawn will just be telling them what's what rather than asking permission.

Zeknurn

Did Mercedes wrote that engine proposal part?

Ha, looks like it.
I thought they were going to scrap the MGU-H to make the power unit cheaper and less significantly less complex. Maybe it will become a spec part? I don't think Mercedes would like that though.

But as long as they make the power units cheaper for the teams, they make the performance between the manufacturers equal and it's enough to bring new manufacturers into the sport.
I don't care what kind of power unit they run.

What is more important is the implementation of a budget cap allowing for a more competitive grid and cleaning up the aero to make it possible for cars to follow and race each other.

I like Valsecchi, but I think I'd prefer Nicholls and Franchitti who do Formula-E together.

You're absolutely right. The casual nature of their commentating never ceased to amuse.

Mohonky

I dont know why people think going to this engine spec or changing another component is going to decrease engine costs. The manufacturers that have the money are going to spend it no matter what to find any advantage in any component they can. Short of producing nothing but a full spec engine engine from one supplier, the manufacturers are always going to be throwing money to find any advabtage they can.

And I hate the idea of spec anything. Its Formula 1. Some of the greatest innovations have come from the teams finding new and creative ways of making a car go faster, some from spending a boat load of money in R&D and some nust fucking stumbled upon something by sheer ass.

Jezbollah

I dont know why people think going to this engine spec or changing another component is going to decrease engine costs. The manufacturers that have the money are going to spend it no matter what to find any advantage in any component they can. Short of producing nothing but a full spec engine engine from one supplier, the manufacturers are always going to be throwing money to find any advabtage they can.

And I hate the idea of spec anything. Its Formula 1. Some of the greatest innovations have come from the teams finding new and creative ways of making a car go faster, some from spending a boat load of money in R&D and some nust fucking stumbled upon something by sheer ass.

A lot of F1 is already Spec stuff. It's the way to go if you have a disparity between revenue and smaller teams with less resources.

DBT85

The ECU is but I've never heard anything about sidepods being spec.

Little on a current F1 car is spec, but Brawn has the right idea that things that we can't see are easier to make spec.

Aiii

So not worth it

Because there is actually a cap on how much money you can spend until it stops benefitting enhancement of the component. If you could just spend twice as much and automagically get a twice as good engine then yes, you'd have a point.

By going spec they are constricting places where you can develop. And by doing that you lower costs across the board, making it easier for others to be competitive because the cost cap is lowered.

Top Bottom