• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R*'s PATHETIC port job: Bully 360 freezing (among other glitches) [PATCH NOW OUT]

VALIS said:
Maybe because it is? Or all of us who've put many hours into the game without a problem don't count?

Typical GAF. Graphical glitches are always blown astronomically out of proportion, and instead of just mentioning "Hey, I've been having some problems with this game," instead it's gotta be "OMG my game froze and everyone must pay! The whole industry is corrupt! HEY EVERYONE! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!"

Honestly, I just shut the game off now after 8.5 hours because I'm bored. It's hilarious, and well written with great voice acting, but not very challenging at all. Go here, press this button. Go there, press that button. Meh. It's more akin to The Sims than Grand Theft Auto.
Seriously.

Thank you.

Costanza

Banned
VALIS said:
Maybe because it is? Or all of us who've put many hours into the game without a problem don't count?

Typical GAF. Graphical glitches are always blown astronomically out of proportion, and instead of just mentioning "Hey, I've been having some problems with this game," instead it's gotta be "OMG my game froze and everyone must pay! The whole industry is corrupt! HEY EVERYONE! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!"
This is pretty much the same logic people used when 360s first started to RROD... until it happened to you.

dyls

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I just hope whatever actions need to take place, bad discs being replaced, patch going out, etc. It just gets squashed and fast. It would be a pity for this game to do bad in sales on 360 simply due to an issue that occurred.

It would be worse if the 360 version outsells the un-glitchy PS2 or Wii versions. What kind of message would that be to developers? "Just get it out the door, and maybe fix things a few weeks later and everything will be fine."

backflip10019 said:
Hmm, I don't know. I think Rockstar will try to address it a little better than that. They know that they have the whole industry looking at them right now and will (hopefully) say something better than that.

I hope you're joking.

Pimpbaa

Ha, it's on my google news page (canadian version).

bullyproblems.jpg

VALIS said:

Uhh, your logic makes absolutely no sense. This isn't simply a "graphical glitch" but an error that is causing many people to not be able to play the game as it is supposed to be. Just because it's not happening to everyone doesn't mean that Rockstar shouldn't be responsible and respond to those who are having the problem.

Congratulations, maybe you got a good disc, or maybe you have a Falcon-chipped 360, but there are a lot of people out there who are experiencing the problem, one that Rockstar must be responsible for.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
VALIS said:

Honestly, I just shut the game off now after 8.5 hours because I'm bored. It's hilarious, and well written with great voice acting, but not very challenging at all. Go here, press this button. Go there, press that button. Meh. It's more akin to The Sims than Grand Theft Auto.

Graphical glitches? Typical GAF? Have you been reading the reports from all across the net that have been summarized in here? This is widespread hard-locking of xboxes across the board. I've never had a game hard-lock my xbox before... and this game has done it three times to me.

You got lucky, congratulations.

I like how you tacked on this superior attitude about how no one should even care about the game anyways because it bores you. Typical GAF.

sublime085 said:
I hope you're joking.

Uh, no, I was not joking. Maybe you just don't understand the magnitude of what is happening; it appears that Rockstar released a game that does not even play on some 360s. Yes, everyone is looking at them right now.

FlyinJ said:
Graphical glitches? Typical GAF? Have you been reading the reports from all across the net that have been summarized in here? This is widespread hard-locking of xboxes across the board. I've never had a game hard-lock my xbox before... and this game has done it three times to me.

You got lucky, congratulations.

I like how you tacked on this superior attitude about how no one should even care about the game anyways because it bores you. Typical GAF.

I love your opinions, J. :D

VALIS said:

Uh, was this something really worth having a meltdown over?

A lot of people, even with falcon-model 360's such as myself, are genuinely having problems, scout's honor and all that.

VALIS

I agree, if you guys are having problems with the game, you're entitled to a working product, whether that's a patch, a replacement disc or whatever else. You're more than entitled to mention the problems you've been having with the game.

I have a problem with the internet attention whoring (let's Digg this thread!!!) and from the hip conclusions that Bully 360 is "broken" that's been going on in this thread. Why some of you felt the need to go overboard instead of just simply state your problems, I don't know. It's irresponsible.

But really, it's more the (cough!) journalists fault than anything for reporting some thread on a gaming forum as news.

VALIS said:
I agree, if you guys are having problems with the game, you're entitled to a working product, whether that's a patch, a replacement disc or whatever else. You're more than entitled to mention the problems you've been having with the game.

I have a problem with the internet attention whoring (let's Digg this thread!!!) and from the hip conclusions that Bully 360 is "broken" that's been going on in this thread. Why some of you felt the need to go overboard instead of just simply state your problems, I don't know. It's irresponsible.

But really, it's more the (cough!) journalists fault than anything for reporting some thread on a gaming forum as news.
I commend any journalist for picking up on said thread if it was part of a widespread pattern of outcry.

Which it was.

Costanza

Banned
VALIS said:

The point of whoring it out was that we didn't think Rockstar would have even acknowledged the issue if it was just kept confined to gamefaqs/xbox.com forums. We did all this so R* would have to take responsibility and fix the damn game.

plaidtopia said:
I commend any journalist for picking up on said thread if it was part of a widespread pattern of outcry.

Which it was.
Agreed.

VALIS

And before someone suggests it, I'm not some Rockstar fanboy. In fact, even though I like a lot of their games, they're one of my least favorite developers on the planet. Based on various interviews and pieces written about them, they seem like a bunch of arrogant ball sacks.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Costanza said:
The point of whoring it out was that we didn't think Rockstar would have even acknowledged the issue if it was just kept confined to gamefaqs/xbox.com forums. We did all this so R* would have to take responsibility and fix the damn game.

So we can, you know, PLAY the fucking game we just paid $50 for?

plaidtopia said:

Which it was.

Well we really don't honestly know how wide spread it is. Obviously anyone who is internet savy, buys a product, and it doesn't work properly is usually going to complain about it on a message board, homepage, etc. Or if someone had said product and it having problems, they might specifically go to a Bully thread or post just to submit there issues. Yet we don't have a accurate view of how many people are not having the problem. How many people are going to go out of there way to post that they have no issues with the game honestly? Point is, we don't know how widespride the issue is really.

Either there is something very specific that is causing this or everyone without it freezing is just having bat shit insane luck.

backflip10019 said:
Uh, no, I was not joking. Maybe you just don't understand the magnitude of what is happening; it appears that Rockstar released a game that does not even play on some 360s. Yes, everyone is looking at them right now.
You're an idiot. No, they are not.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
VALIS said:

Considering -THIS- particular gaming forum is visited regularly by much of the gaming press and not some podunk little hideaway in the ether of the internet plays a relatively large factor.

Problem seems larger than a few isolated cases, and myself and others are on the sidelines waiting for SOMEONE, ANYONE to get off their duff and get answers before I slam $50+ down. We can do the "He said, She said" bullshit about whether it works or not, but with the eyes and ears of the industry looking at this place religously and nothing is said or done, then that would be a greater disservice.

dork

Banned
I rented the ps2 version a week or so before the 360 one came out, because i had never played it. The load times made it unplayable, so i figured i would wait. Just got the 360 one, and the load times are just as bad, loading between every building UGH.

Costanza said:
I've been playing for 2 hours now without a freeze... hm

Change any settings at all on the xbox? anything thats different at all you can tell? Also btw never answered but I'm playing with HDMI in 720p.

dork said:
I rented the ps2 version a week or so before the 360 one came out, because i had never played it. The load times made it unplayable, so i figured i would wait. Just got the 360 one, and the load times are just as bad, loading between every building UGH.

Oh come on its really not that bad. Usually there a few seconds long aside from some that take longer then others, but those seem to be rather few and not the majority of the load screens.

Costanza said:
Nope, nothing.

And Rockstar was so worried about the backlash of negativity of the GAF, they secretly pushed a patch that installs in the background, unknown to the user ,when logging on with their copy of Bully. LOL

Hmmm well yeah this is very interesting! :lol

I've been following this from the start and it just never makes any more sense. Rockstar, please save us the insanity. Then again, if its this rare, happening sometimes, not happening for hours at a time, it might be awhile before even they can pinpoint WTF is causing it.

sublime085 said:
So any actual game impressions? I want to discuss it, but the official thread is dead as a doorknob.

Bump it.

Good game, has a sometime jittery framerate, but overall is tons of fun to play and really brings back the feeling of being in school.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
sublime085 said:
So any actual game impressions? I want to discuss it, but the official thread is dead as a doorknob.

Bump it.

I only played the PS2 version for an hour. If you don't like GTA you wont like this. It has all the same flaws. My GTA enjoying friends all seem to like it though.

VALIS

I'm pretty certain any problems are going to do with Xbox Live, as it seems to be a common culprit when issues like these arise. In fact, check out the 2k8 baseball thread. Some frame rate dips, mini freezes, glitches.... but sign out of Xbox Live and they all go away! Testers probably can't replicate the issues a game might have when connected to Xbox Live the same way an end user would be (ie. lots of friends requests, friends logging on and off, getting mail, Windows Live shit, etc.).

I thought this was well known by now. This would not be the first time freezes or frame rate lags have been pinned on a game's XBL integration. And that's why I think everyone tends to overreact these days when their game lags or freezes. These aren't Super Nintendos anymore. They're doing more than just running game code.

The PC gaming routine of "we'll patch the game later" is very much alive in the console world now, whether people like it or not.

VALIS said:
I'm pretty certain any problems are going to do with Xbox Live, as it seems to be a common culprit when issues like these arise. In fact, check out the 2k8 baseball thread. Some frame rate dips, mini freezes, glitches.... but sign out of Xbox Live and they all go away! Testers probably can't replicate the issues a game might have when connected to Xbox Live the same way an end user would be (ie. lots of friends requests, friends logging on and off, getting mail, Windows Live shit, etc.).

I thought this was well known by now. This would not be the first time freezes or frame rate lags have been pinned on a game's XBL integration.

Somebody with lots of freezing should test this out as well.

I think the game is fun. I never had a chance to play it on the PS2 so I'm glad they brought it to the 360. My game froze once, maybe it'll never freeze again, no big whoop. Just putting my update in where applicable.

Oh, and my 360 RRoD'd once too, and I still love the damn thing, but that doesn't mean someone didn't fuck up there. Same reasoning applies here in my book.

Costanza said:
:lol Me too. I think I got like 6 of them then I kept getting time taken off.

Europe was a breeze. I bet you ten bucks that Geography 5 is Africa though! God, I'm gonna fail the fuck outta that one.

Costanza

Banned
Skiptastic said:
Europe was a breeze. I bet you ten bucks that Geography 5 is Africa though! God, I'm gonna fail the fuck outta that one.
Was Geography in the PS2 version? I don't remember it, but I only played it for a couple hours on PS2.

Costanza said:
Was Geography in the PS2 version? I don't remember it, but I only played it for a couple hours on PS2.

No thats a new one. You can tell which ones are new because you only win clothes from them and not new abilitys, etc.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
slasher_thrasher21 said:
No thats a new one. You can tell which ones are new because you only win clothes from them and not new abilitys, etc.

You get a new ability after geography 2 -
It shows you the location of the rubberbands on the map

FlyinJ said:
You get a new ability after geography 2 -
It shows you the location of the rubberbands on the map

Oh crap, then is geography a new class or did I just pull a space cadet and didn't rememer. Or is it just that one new ability you get?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Oh crap, then is geography a new class or did I just pull a space cadet and didn't rememer. Or is it just that one new ability you get?

No, it's new. I thought I was just getting clothes and stuff from new classes too, until I passed Geometry 2.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
slasher_thrasher21 said:
And thats a damn good ability too! :D

Yeah, it is. And it's an optional thing, so if you want to find them on your own you can just never enable it on the map.

Top Bottom