• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide is seeking Legal Action aganist Valve

Yeah, I feel conflicted. Surely there should be some kind of comeback against users who are continually hostile, threatening and insulting...? I wonder what Valve's usual stance on this is, or do they typically just ignore it.

Considering the amount of sheer amount of victims to such things on the internet without recourse, why should they get the benefit?

Soodanim

Gold Member
...personal threats from internet dudes. I'm not condoning it, but they really need to grow a thick skin and move on.

The situation they find themselves in now is the result of them not being able to do this like any other dev who has made shit games in the past. They cannot seem to handle criticism at all. If they are threatening to sue everyone making personal internet attacks they will never win...if anything, it has just make things worse for them.
While I agree, if it's true that there are users that have been flagged on multiple occasions and nothing has been done then thats... Actually, that's unsurprising from Valve.

eot

Banned
...personal threats from internet dudes. I'm not condoning it, but they really need to grow a thick skin and move on.

The situation they find themselves in now is the result of them not being able to do this like any other dev who has made shit games in the past. They cannot seem to handle criticism at all. If they are threatening to sue everyone making personal internet attacks they will never win...if anything, it has just make things worse for them.

Telling someone to grow a thick skin when their family members get death threats is a shit response. I know that if that shit started showing up in the mail my parents would freak out. DH being complete idiots aside, they do have a point about Steam's moderation and lack of investment in customer support in general. It's a shame these guys are the ones making that argument since it will be overshadowed by everything else.

Nokterian

Sending death threats to devs or anyone else is no good i agree on that but DH did more harm than good, they even threatened Jim Sterling showed stuff like where his house was and other stuff.

But if you can't take criticism as in feedback or just calling you out for what it is by scamming people on steam be it from steam users or even a journalist like jim than you are to over sensitive about everything about every little damn line that comes across that is criticism. In the end they still play the victim and blaming everyone around them but not them self instead thinking about moving on and letting it go they drag them self even further down the hole.

ElRenoRaven

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Called that shit. These clowns are obvious. Can't wait for the Neogaf Lawsuit they file against us for bad mouthing them. lol

Minions

Watch what you post in this thread..... or you could be next!!!

Seriously though, I think the dudes gotta be just trolling at this point. No way this can make it to trial, and I hope he is prevented from filing more frivolous lawsuits.

Spade

This is gold.

alex-valle.png

GeNoMe

You can't help but applaud their persistence. Doesn't take away the fact that the people behind DH are complete fucking idiots though.

They should have just put their games on itch.io instead and called it a day.

But no, now they're in for an even bigger shock. This is not going to end well for them at all.

EDIT: Apparently they already put their games on itch, lol

Pheace

Oh God, they're representing themselves?!?! Judges LOVE that!

It does say at the top of the article on their website 'Seeking Legal Representation'.

And there's enough general animosity towards Steam they might actually get some free funding going based off that.

But yeah, good luck with that...

ElRenoRaven

When they lose these cases they are going to sue the judge, aren't they?

You know I wouldn't be surprised to see them try. At this point these dopes are gonna just keep looking for people to sue. It's sad though. I almost feel sorry for them.To be so delusional and insane. They have to be miserable people.

Chaser324

Banned
Telling someone to grow a thick skin when their family members get death threats is a shit response. I know that if that shit started showing up in the mail my parents would freak out. DH being complete idiots aside, they do have a point about Steam's moderation and lack of investment in customer support in general. It's a shame these guys are the ones making that argument since it will be overshadowed by everything else.

Yeah, it sucks. There are definitely good points to be made about Steam moderation and customer support, but these are possibly the worst people to argue those points doing it in maybe the worst way possible.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Im sure this has been linked many times but for the people who haven't listened to Digital Homicide talking with Jim Sterling.... it's actually insane how completely stupid this guy is

like holy shit I'm an hour in and everything he says is just completely wrong. he has no grasp on reality at all.

I'm not surprised that people like this exist. I am surprised that they managed to get games published. Even if they are horrible piece of garbage that abuse Unity packs and make drag-n-drop nightmares.

Durante

Good luck with that.

(They can't even win against Jim Sterling [not that I think they should] and now they try to take on Valve? Hilarious)

Considering the amount of sheer amount of victims to such things on the internet without recourse, why should they get the benefit?

If the law is going to change, it needs to begin somewhere. I don't like the DH guys and I think most of their actions have been moronic, but ignoring all of the baggage around this I do think they have a point that people who receive death threats online should be protected by the law. It's a shame this will be lost in the noise because they've become a bit of a joke.

How does the court system work in the US? Here, if you sue someone and lose, you have to pay for all the expenses of the winning party.

This would cost the A LOT of money, Valve's lawyer fees will be than what they made with their games.

LaronX

Neo Member
There argumentation is so flimsy and self centered it is mind boggling that those two are considered adults. I mean sure death threats and insults are a terrible thing and should be condemned, but those weren't the only people they tried to sue. Callomf there game shit seems to be a personal attack for them and there first reaction to everything seems to be the big red sue button that they hammered so much at this point no one is taking them seriously.

Barvo Digital Homicide. Many people committed public suicide and fucked over there careers, but no one quite as childishly and whinny as you two.

Hmmm I guessed in that other thread that they might be purposely trying to piss Valve off to get Valve to ban them and therefore have grounds (not really) to sue Valve. Seems like that came true.

I don't think so. It's more likely they were not expecting to be removed from steam. In fact, I assume they were expecting to have Valve support against the harassment they were receiving. Now, if what they say is true, they have all the rights to sue Valve and if Valve did something illegal the only way they can try to get justice is by suing them. They have nothing to lose since they already got removed from steam.

If the law is going to change, it needs to begin somewhere. I don't like the DH guys and I think most of their actions have been moronic, but ignoring all of the baggage around this I do think they have a point that people who receive death threats online should be protected by the law. It's a shame this will be lost in the noise because they've become a bit of a joke.

I've mentioned there are greater victims. If this shit passed for theses chucklefucks it would be an absolute embarassment. Considering we are talking about American companies, these things boil down to the respective policies. And Digital Homicide sure as hell aren't looking to make friends.

I'm sorry, who is Zoe Quinn?

Not sure if you are trying to argue in favor of such threats? Don't really think there's an argument to be made about this. Death threats aren't acceptable.

Zoe Quinn is an indie-game dev who was unfortunately made into the Prime target of the GamerGate movement.

The reason the quoted poster brought her up is (just my idea of it, can't say for certain this was the intention) because if she can't stop people online from bullying her, doxxing her and threatening not only her health and safety, but that of her friends and family members, then unfortunately DH don't have a case to make either by threatening legal action, even less so by DEMANDING that Valve hand over all information they have on these users, which is fucking PREPOSTEROUS.

Zoe Quinn is an indie-game dev who was unfortunately made the Prime target of the GamerGate movement.

The reason the quoted poster brought her up is because if she can't stop people online from bullying her, doxxing her and threatening not only her health and safety, but that of her friends and family members, then unfortunately DH don't have a case to make either by threatening legal action, even less so by DEMANDING that Valve hand over all information they have on these users, which is fucking PREPOSTEROUS.

This has nothing to do with the case in question though. DH is suing Valve for removing them from steam and hurting their business, they are not directly suing the people that harassed them.

This has nothing to do with the case in question though. DH is suing Valve for removing them from steam and hurting their business, they are not directly suing the people that harassed them.

Not sure you read the full story. They were going to sue 100 users who had been critical of their games and posted negative reviews on Steam. I can't honestly tell you if any of these people were part of the harassers, but it VERY MUCH has to do with this case, as the reason Valve responded is because they threatened to take Valve to court if they weren't going to turn over the info on the users they were very much ready to sue.

Bigrx1

Banned
people like this disgust me. Seriously they absolutely disgust me. Shady people who do endless amounts of shady things, but absolutely REFUSE to take any responsibility for it and continually just blame the rest of the world for their problems. Makes me wonder do they live in that much denial that they actually believe their own BS and can't even see it? Or they just don't care?

I can't even imagine what it must be like living in the household with this Rovine guy or whatever his name is. Could you imagine? Just a living tornado of chaos and endless fighting everyone and everything, while being the sole cause of what he's fighting in the first place. smh

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Didn't DH threaten Jim Sterling, saying they could determine where is house was based on a video he did where he goes outside briefly? That's creepy as fuck and there's no way I could take these guys' side, regardless of the threats they've received.

Except they intended to sue the people who harassed them, which is why they were demanding that Valve turn over user information for them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279563&highlight=digital+homicide

And instead of going to Valve to they sould have went to the court and eventually having a judge deciding if they had the right to sue people, in which case Valve would have been forced by the authorities to release such information. The point here is enstablishing whether they violated or not some terms that gave the right to Valve to remove them from Steam.

Maztorre

But they haven't reported the death threats to law enforcement. Instead, they have tried to subpoena Valve to directly hand over the personal details of their users.

If they were legitimately seeking protection from death threats, the correct channel for this would be reporting it to local law enforcement, who can then investigate on their behalf. Not attempting to obtain personal details from Valve so they can then attempt more frivolous lawsuits against more individuals, as they have been doing.

Valve are absolutely in the right to protect personal information in this case, until they are asked to provide the information to law enforcement. It would be fucking nuts if any aggrieved person or company could obtain personal information under their definition of "threatened".

Bigrx1

Banned
Didn't DH threaten Jim Sterling, saying they could determine where is house was based on a video he did where he goes outside briefly? That's creepy as fuck and there's no way I could take these guys' side, regardless of the threats they've received.

They sued him actually, it's been in the process for months now

Top Bottom