• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parking outside of other peoples house.

GAF i need some advice...
I get in my car this morning about to head to work and discover this note on my window.

9oBSuOG.png

For context, i only passed my test a week ago and am not exactly the best at parking in tight spaces. The area i live is also very hilly and the spot I've been using is one of the only flat area. As i'm in the UK i drive a manual car and hill starts / reverse hill starts aren't exactly the easiest manoeuvre and i was cautious about rolling into another car.

So, do i honour the request and fined somewhere else or keep parking there as its a public road and he/she has no claim over the spot?

p.s. I have no parking outside my own home.

p.p.s. I'm not parking in front of their driveway.

We need more details. Is this a suburb? A city neighborhood? If it's the latter and you have permission to park in the area, they have no claim over the spot directly in front of their home. Parking is tight as it is.

Patryn

If you're constantly parking in front of the same house, and if you're taking the equivalent of two spaces I'd find somewhere new to park.

Being a new driver/bad driver does not justify taking up extra space for your car.

eXistor

I'd probably park somewhere else. You're not doing anything wrong, but if they're this petty, I'd assume they would take other actions if you keep parking there, it's unfortunately how people are. Is there no other street nearby you can park?

Mark your territory by pissing there.

In all seriousness, if you're parking in such a way that prevents a second car from parking when it would otherwise be possible (if you're new to driving, it would be understandable if your spacial awareness when parking isn't too hot yet), then park somewhere else that's quieter. Otherwise you have the right to keep parking there, but whether or not you choose to continue doing so depends on whether you think it's worth the possible future notes or confrontation.

ultron87

Are you leaving too much space around your car when you park? They say you're taking up 2x spots. I guess just try and get as close to other cars/driveways so that there's as much room for others cars as possible. I understand your new driver worries, but just do your best.

The problem is you took two spaces!

Don't take two spaces!

If you suck at parking, go practice. Street parking is open to everyone, sure, but don't be a dick about it and take up 2 spots.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I had this problem before except the person saw me leaving and pulled in front of me and blocked me in before coming over to talk to me, and told me they were going to start calling the police.

I went back, parked, took a photo, then went to the police station and asked if it was ok. They said sure, so next time she did that I told her I cleared it with the police.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Why are you living somewhere with no parking if you have a car?

I honestly understand both sides - I get it, you need somewhere to park your car and it's super annoying when there's nowhere to park.

But I've also lived somewhere where people kept leaving their car parked in front, and it was really annoying. It wasn't their space to park in.

Honestly, I would honour the sign. You don't live on that street so you shouldn't park there.

parking anywhere is fine

Um, no, it actually isn't. Especially in the UK where every square inch is compact and accounted for.

Theonik

Learn to park better. Other than that, they have no legal right to forbid you parking in their street.

But I've also lived somewhere where people kept leaving their car parked in front, and it was really annoying. It wasn't their space to park in.

Honestly, I would honour the sign. You don't live on that street so you shouldn't park there.
Since when do you think you own public roads that you may decide who should and should not park there?

cwmartin

I would find it odd if someone parked in front of my house everyday. Granted, I'm in your typical american suburb without a lot of street parkers to begin with. So likely not the same as a busy UK neighborhood.

are you taking up two spaces?

are you leaving a strange gap between you and the other car?

when I was a noob, I lady told me that my parking would deprive another because of the distance from the curb would bar another vehicle.

I gladly adjusted my parking to the edge of the curb that created a larger freer space in-between me and other cars.

Alienous

"... the fact that you insist upon taking x2 spaces because you park without consideration is also not nice".

They aren't going to let OP off of the hook even if he does a better job parking. Their next recourse will be making it inconvenient for you to retrieve your car, I'm sure.

Ferr986

You should take 1 space only, so that part is your fault. That being said, the street is for everyone and having a house doesn't mean you own the street, so in that regard they're in the wrong, you can park anywhere you want.

Rktk

People think the spaces on the public street outside their homes belong to them they wouldn't be happy even if you were taking up one space.

Malvolio

Taking up additional space is a legit complaint. However, "parking on a street you don't even live on" is an absurd comment. Work on your parallel parking, continue to park on whichever street you feel comfortable. Also, get a dashcam that will record upon damage to your car and keep this letter as evidence. Not saying that this person will trash your car, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
You should take 1 space only, so that part is your fault. That being said, the street is for everyone and having a house doesn't mean you own the street, so in that regard they're in the wrong, you can park anywhere you want.

Yeah but it's still a dick move to park in front of a house that isn't yours all the time.

Be a good citizen and neighbour, don't be that guy who starts wheeling out the legal technicalities.

Just make sure to take up space for your car only. One thing I find very fucking annoying though on my street is that there's sections where there's enough space for two cars. A couple people often park right in the fucking middle taking up both spaces thus fucking shit up for everyone else.

Dipper145

I assume you're parking in between two driveways or something and there's room for two cars there and you are parking in the middle. Given there's no specific parking space markings there's nothing you're really doing wrong, and you can continue to park there legally whenever you want.

That said, if you get out of your car and see you haven't left enough space for someone to park in front or behind you, pull forward or back more to make space for another car to park. They're probably just upset that people are taking the parking spot outside their house that they usually use, which I understand, but you don't have any actual ownership of any street parking outside your house.

Yeah but it's still a dick move to park in front of a house that isn't yours all the time.

How so? Maybe that's the closest open spot to wherever he lives as well. The only dick move is taking up two spots / not pulling forward or back a little to make room for another car to park if there's enough room for 2 cars in that area.

People are always parked in front of my house. I just park further down the street at the closest spot if the parking spots in my driveway are taken up by roommates.

If this is like a housing estate or a cul de sac or something then you really should be parking outside of your own home rather than other peoples. You're not going to get better at hill starts if you keep avoiding them anyway.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I can fully understand this person as I have had a neighbor do that infront of our house.

1. Learn to park correctly, lack of experience is no excuse. If you get out of your car and see you parked in 2 spaces, fix it. Get back and your car and correct it. Don't be a jackass and just leave it is.

2. If your building has no dedicated parking for you, and it is a public street, then yes it's first come first serve, but that doesn't excuse #1.

Fix your parking, and try seeing if that appeases the person. If that doesn't, reconfirm that parking is not meant for a specific lot or building, and still consider looking for parking more appropriate to your building if there is any. You really should not be parking infront of other peoples homes ever unless its a very short term/holiday thing, it might not be illegal but its rude as hell.

SJRB

Gold Member
Having only gotten a licence a week ago is no excuse to take up two spaces in a crowded street. I'd be annoyed too if I had to park on another block when someone else consistently takes up two spaces.

slit

Why are you living somewhere with no parking if you have a car?

I honestly understand both sides - I get it, you need somewhere to park your car and it's super annoying when there's nowhere to park.

Um, no, it actually isn't. Especially in the UK where every square inch is compact and accounted for.

So whose was it?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
if you are taking up more than one space then the note is justified and you need to learn how to park correctly.

are you leaving a ton of space between you and the next vehicle or something? it is pretty infuriating to see someone park with 6 feet between them and both cars on either side.

Ferr986

Be a good citizen and neighbour, don't be that guy who starts wheeling out the legal technicalities.

I dont' see why, you don't own the street. Random people park in my street and I never have a free spor for me but I don't care because I understand street parking is for everyone.

I find more dickish to pretend you own the street just because you have a house there tbh..

-----------------
......(car)......
^ that's two spaces.

you must park either:
-----------------
(car)............
or
-----------------
.............(car)

Enco

You can't move into a house without a private parking spot and get upset when people park there.

Sure it sucks for them but as long as you aren't blockinga driveway (which you said you aren't), it's cool.

Like others say just don't take up too much space.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I dont' see why, you don't own the street. Random people park in my street and I never have a free spor for me but I don't care because I understand street parking is for everyone.

I'm not saying you "own the street". I'm just saying that you shouldn't constantly park in front of someone else's house, it's pretty rude in my opinion.

Maybe I just don't have enough experience living in big cities where people don't give a shit about each other.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We have a neighbor who runs a yard business. He parks four to six huge business trucks on the street outside his house. I estimate he takes up about 14 or 15 car spaces. One day he put two outside my house, forcing me to park a block away. So I walked to his house, knocked on his door and told him that if he ever did that again I would have every single truck he owns towed, since it's illegal to permanently park commercial vehicles in domestic spaces. He hasn't parked on my block since. But I'm astonished his neighbors put up with it.

Top Bottom