• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ditch your PS3, Get $100 store credit towards Xbox One

LTWood12

How is this desperation?

Best Buy had a promotion at the end of last year where you could trade in any 360 or PS3 for a $100 store credit. No one was crying foul then. As a matter of fact quite a few people here took advantage of that.

It's business people. Business!! Stop taking it so personal.

It's desperate because they're losing money on the deal when they really don't have to. I don't think it's bad move on it's own, but to me it looks like a move for a company that's significantly behind. They AREN'T significantly behind. I just think this contributes even more to the desperate Microsoft narrative.

They've got more games right now, and they're about to have Titanfall. With this it feels like they're throwing all the shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Console wars or desperation on a level we've never seen before?

We're not even getting started.

PsqfyH8.jpg

_Ryo_

How is this desperation?

Best Buy had a promotion at the end of last year where you could trade in any 360 or PS3 for a $100 store credit. No one was crying foul then. As a matter of fact quite a few people here took advantage of that.

It's business people. Business!! Stop taking it so personal.

I don't see anyone taking it too personally but just for the sake of argument the ad says to trade in a PS3 for 100$ store towards the price of an XBOX ONE.

The deal doesn't make any sense when you can still get the PS4 cheaper without doing anything at all. Why would anyone do this unless they are desperately in need of an xbox one, and who would be in desperate need of one when they're selling cheaper online than in retail and they're still readily available in stores everywhere? It's a bad deal through and through.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Overrated in your opinion maybe. Demons Souls, Uncharted, GoW, Last of Us, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, LBP, Killzone, etc. are fantastic franchises and many of them are 5 million+ sellers, so you might rethink your post.
Price isnt the only differentiator. Tech, hype, word of mouth also play a role in this. And do not underestimate the value of PS+ and its instant game collection. The overall package regardless of price is considerably better than Microsofts offer in UK/EU.

Yeah, it was in my opinion of course. Demons Souls is awesome, but I have my doubt we will see more of that now that From is doing multiplattform Dark Souls. I agree with your general point anyways though, the overall package is much better.

It's desperate because they're losing money on the deal when they really don't have to. I don't think it's bad move on it's own, but to me it looks like a move for a company that's significantly behind. They AREN'T significantly behind. I just think this contributes even more to the desperate Microsoft narrative.

They've got more games right now, and they're about to have Titanfall. With this it feels like they're throwing all the shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

or they're trying to get some last Gen people who are on the fence so they can get some more Xbox 1 customers maybe

Spin? This is what the subject line in my email says:

KlmtKj4.png

They are actually trying to get Sony customers. Is this difficult for you to understand?

Then I apologize. I never saw the subject line. I found it hard to believe it said specifically the PS3 if the promotion was for all of the systems.

You were right. I was wrong.

shandy706

I wouldn't get rid of my 360 or PS3 as it's the only console with an acceptable (and recent) version of college football :(

My 360 is literally my NCAA machine now.

Edit** Also, I remember posting something about this (I swear I did) in another thread like a week ago...or at least within the last week.

Marcel

Not desperation. If I recall correctly their marketing department has always been aggressive when it comes to competitor's products.

Just look at some of their "Chromebook" ads. :lol

Haha. Read "aggressive" as "try too hard". Ah I don't know, maybe I'm being too tough on 'em. Surely those homely Pawn Stars men must have my best interests as a consumer at heart.

nynt9

God damn, they're going for the throat.
Microsoft is ruthless when it comes to business.

If only they were as ruthless when it came to the making of the product itself. Could have had an uncompromising product that worked flawlessly upon launch, but we got a messy design with no clear vision and a lot of UI downgrades (party system etc). I legitimately don't understand why they don't spend a bit less money on advertising and a bit more on design and development, and this goes for all their products (surface, winphone etc).

Back on thread, this isn't even a good deal. Even Gamestop will give you better bang for your buck.

CoG

How about keep your PS3, get a PS4. Still end up spending $400 and have a shitton of great content available on the PS3?

Ditching a PS3 would probably be the worst gaming choice one could possibly make. The PS Plus offers alone make it irreplaceable. I have so much content tied up to that console.

Top Bottom