• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Game Informer Details

UrbanRats

Frankly, it sounds as bad as it gets. :\
EDIT: looked at the screens, well, officially dead to me now.
That looks incredibly generic and horrendous.

spirity

Did WoW have an OT back in 2004? Could just copy that one.

No it didn't.

Holy fuck, this means we have nothing to copy. I know, we can just plagiarize the GW2 OT. No originality required. Nobody will read the ESO OT because they can just read the GW2 one, which will be better, but who gives a shit.

LETS DO IT

A bit disappointed with some of the details, but none of them are outright deal breakers. Hopefully there'll at least be an open beta weekend or something.

Darklord

Banned
This is going to bomb so hard. Everyone will buy it, realize that it's some shit MMO and not like Skyrim and quit before the first free month.

Wow those screenshots are so disappointing. You could remove the title and show those screenies to 1000 hardcore Elder Scrolls fans and not a single one would guess that's a new game from the series. Putting graphics aside even the gameplay is disappointing in that its sounding like your typical WoW-lite themepark MMO, going against the very spirit of ES' sandbox gameplay.

F2P within 6 months, this shit will fail bad. If we can already see that why can't the devs or the publisher? SMH.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wow those screenshots are so disappointing. You could remove the title and show those screenies to 1000 hardcore Elder Scrolls fans and not a single one would guess that's a new game from the series. Putting graphics aside even the gameplay is disappointing in that its sounding like your typical WoW-lite themepark MMO, going against the very spirit of ES' sandbox gameplay.

F2P within 6 months, this shit will fail bad. If we can already see that why can't the devs or the publisher? SMH.

TBF we have the gift of hindsight back in 2007 when it was pitched it likely did seem like a good idea. After spending all that money most probably on this thing (most AAA mmo's aren't cheap to make), it was probably too late to cancel anyway.

At worst they make profit on box sales and maybe second month subs.

Scirrocco

I've never actually played an Elder scrolls game, and have a long history with MMO's. I guess this makes me their target audience.

It's nice their trying some things differently from WoW (3 faction pvp, being able to become emperor, public dungeons) but still looks fairly generic. I'll keep an eye out for some videos, to see if it can change my mind, but i doubt i'll ever pick it up, even if it goes F2P, if only because Medieval Fantasy MMO's have burned me out at the moment.

Come 2013 I think i'll still be able to say i've never played an elder scrolls game.

It's the state of the MMO genre since WOW launched actually (besides some exceptions). A real missed opportunity, a case of study for this young industry.

Yea, but it's like MMO's these days have completely ignored the concept of a perpetually changing, dynamic, persistent online world.

Technology has progressed so much to really allow for a different experience. It's sad that MMO's that came out nearly 10 years ago had more forward thinking ideas (no matter how poorly implemented they may have been at the time).

-Third person perspective
-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs
-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2

Interest killed.

Vesper73

Notice how in the screenshots they didn't show any sweeping vistas. Hero Engine = Shitty draw distance with static bitmap in background to simulate distant terrain.

Get ready to zone from one province to another instead of seamlessly walking across.

DOA, do not want, stop this right now, someone!!

mnannola

So it looks like this game is borrowing mostly from Wow, but also a bit from GW2, EQ(public dungeons) and DAOC(3 faction PvP).

Is there ANYTHING this game is doing that is original? Just one thing?

Elder Scrolls has always been about being innovative and trying to push the envelope on what an open world RPG could be. Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind may not have been polished, but it would be hard to make an argument that they were not innovative.

Now it seems they have gone to a studio and said "Make me a really generic MMO, just make sure to use Elder Scrolls lore and locations." WTF! I hope they are saving the good stuff for E3...

Vesper73

This is just one of those things that really makes you angry, because you know that if done right this could have been awesome!

I'll tell you one thing, after having more active combat system, ala Tera, good luck with your '1','4','2','1','4','2' combat system. You better bring something original to this or its DOA.

Why would a company waste its money in such a manner?? We're not analysts, but we all know this is DOA already. I don't get it....

I wonder what Todd Howard truly thinks about this.... Todd?

I don't know what you guys expected an MMO to look like

It is an MMO set in Elder Scrolls world. It is not another Elder Scrolls game.

Judgement will be passed once I play (hopefully beta test) it.

We need a sandbox ESO with an intricate crafting system & economy, player houses & towns, a lot of community/social things + of course a huge continent to explore with tons of group quests & dungeons. A way to immerse yourself in the Elder Scrolls universe, live the daily occupations of an adventurer in such setting, with some friends.

This man gets it!

zlatko

Banned
The first reveal a few days ago had me super excited with what they can do with this game.

Now the details + the screens + footage = Dog shit. I usually like to look at things from a glass half full perspective, but this thing doesn't even have a drop in it.

If Zenimax wanted to make a MMO, make a MMO, and don't sully a solid franchise name. :/

BigDes

Notice how in the screenshots they didn't show any sweeping vistas. Hero Engine = Shitty draw distance with static bitmap in background to simulate distant terrain.

Get ready to zone from one province to another instead of seamlessly walking across.

DOA, do not want, stop this right now, someone!!

The fact that there are no flying mounts basically confirms this

Hari Seldon

Man whoever created and sold the shit ass Hero engine must have either lied their ass off or had one hell of a sales pitch.

Dunlop

Man whoever created and sold the shit ass Hero engine must have either lied their ass off or had one hell of a sales pitch.

I'm still trying to figure out how they convinced Bioware to purchase it when it was not complete and for such a high budget MMO

I fucking hate the engine with a passion, but kudos to the sales staff of that company

KuGsj.gif

shaowebb

My only thing is I am curious just how looted house and towns will look online if everyone is cleaning them out at once. I mean I took anything that wasn't nailed down and made a fort out of pillows and cabbages. Log in day 90 go to town and it looks like a going out of business sale has just concluded.

Top Bottom