• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lupita Nyong'o: Speaking Out About Harvey Weinstein (NYT)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/...region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region&_r=0

I have been following the news and reading the accounts of women coming forward to talk about being assaulted by Harvey Weinstein and others. I had shelved my experience with Harvey far in the recesses of my mind, joining in the conspiracy of silence that has allowed this predator to prowl for so many years. I had felt very much alone when these things happened, and I had blamed myself for a lot of it, quite like many of the other women who have shared their stories.

But now that this is being discussed openly, I have not been able to avoid the memories resurfacing. I have felt sick in the pit of my stomach. I have felt such a flare of rage that the experience I recount below was not a unique incident with me, but rather part of a sinister pattern of behavior.

Harvey led me into a bedroom — his bedroom — and announced that he wanted to give me a massage. I thought he was joking at first. He was not. For the first time since I met him, I felt unsafe. I panicked a little and thought quickly to offer to give him one instead: It would allow me to be in control physically, to know exactly where his hands were at all times.

Part of our drama school curriculum at Yale included body work, using massage techniques on one another to understand the connection between body, mind and emotion, and so I felt I could rationalize giving him one and keep a semblance of professionalism in spite of the bizarre circumstance. He agreed to this and lay on the bed. I began to massage his back to buy myself time to figure out how to extricate myself from this undesirable situation. Before long he said he wanted to take off his pants. I told him not to do that and informed him that it would make me extremely uncomfortable. He got up anyway to do so and I headed for the door, saying that I was not at all comfortable with that. “If we’re not going to watch the film, I really should head back to school,” I said.

Fortunately for me, I have not dealt with any such incidents in the business since. And I think it is because all the projects I have been a part of have had women in positions of power, along with men who are feminists in their own right who have not abused their power. What I am most interested in now is combating the shame we go through that keeps us isolated and allows for harm to continue to be done. I wish I had known that there were women in the business I could have talked to. I wish I had known that there were ears to hear me. That justice could be served. There is clearly power in numbers. I thank the women who have spoken up and given me the strength to revisit this unfortunate moment in my past.

Good for her for finally speaking out, and good on her wanting to make this a rallying cry for others that have suffered similar circumstances in their lives.

There is a lot of information there, and well worth the read. As infuriating as it is.

Neece

Can't say enough how despicable the pattern of behavior was. And all that were complicit.

Just glad so many women have finally felt safe enough to speak out.

Can't say enough how despicable the pattern of behavior was. And all that were complicit.

Just glad so many women have finally felt safe enough to speak out.

Sadly, some people (such as some classmates of mine) think it is just a bandwagon effect now. That the women just want attention. And that was from a female classmate too.

That led to a spirited discussion this morning.

Linkura

We got a running total on how many women have spoken about Weinstein's abuse? Good lord.

everyone-gif-4.gif

Sick fucking bastard.

Salsa

remember when Elijah Wood recently talked openly about the freakin pedophile rings in hollywood, probably the same ones Corey talked about back then

I was hoping this scandal would blow the lid on that as well

remember when Elijah Wood recently talked openly about the freakin pedophile rings in hollywood, probably the same ones Corey talked about back then

Look no further than “wholesome” companies like Disney and Nickelodeon.

Salsa

Look no further than ”wholesome" companies like Disney and Nickelodeon.

I don't doubt it but that shit "getting out" would be the tipping point for a major change up in the industry

it aint gonna happen, but as it is everyone's gonna tap themselves on their back over kicking Weinstein out and everyone will forget about the underlying issue

not that im complaining much since we're getting people coming forward about this daily at this point. It's a good thing

Boke1879

That's going to blow open eventually.

I don't doubt it but that shit "getting out" would be the tipping point for a major change up in the industry

it aint gonna happen, but as it is everyone's gonna tap themselves on their back over kicking Weinstein out and everyone will forget about the underlying issue

not that im complaining much since we're getting people coming forward about this daily at this point. It's a good thing
There was a blind item I read recently where a 14 year old Bella Thorne was allegedly sleeping with her producer for Shake It Up, a show that used to air on the Disney Channel.

q8dwvjx_d.jpg

kaiju

We got a running total on how many women have spoken about Weinstein's abuse? Good lord.

A lot. Many of them were near misses (yet still very, very inappropriate). I shudder to think how many victims this monster actually went the distance with.

I just finished reading that and wondered if there was a thread. Really powerful stuff and she helps you understand why it took so long for anyone to speak up.

Ratrat

Is he really the worst of the bunch? I thought by now we would have had more people exposed. Hollywood seems to want to take him out with a vengeance but I hope its not going to be the end of it.

Weinstein probably isn't the worse. He most likely fell out of favor with his powerful circle and got thrown under the bus as he is no longer protected.

PixelatedBookake

There was a blind item I read recently where a 14 year old Bella Thorne was allegedly sleeping with her producer for Shake It Up, a show that used to air on the Disney Channel.

q8dwvjx_d.jpg

Do you have a source for that? I'm all for outing creeps but that's an tactic I see (I read somewhere) from people who want to push a specific narrative.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just read it and god damn Weinstein was a monster. I've heard so many victim's stories and fucking hell that is horrifying.

Also makes me wish I spoke out more but at my last restaurant job since the head chef was and the general manager committed rampant sexual harassment. The most I did was speak to my coworkers about it but no one batted an eye and they all thought it was normal because it's a restaurant. The chef would do anything he could to get feel on the female servers. Like he even brought up a trick when none of them were around and told all the guys how to slyly rub your back against their boobs. I felt so fucking uncomfortable even listening to it and was wondering why no one thought this was wrong.

weepy

Probably not. I know that there have been some pretty slimy rumors about Dan Schneider and some other producers heading Teen television programming.

I've seen the rumors as well, but all of them seem like...well, rumors with nothing backing them and a majority of them are because Schneider "looks" like a pedo, whatever that means.

kswiston

I've seen the rumors as well, but all of them seem like...well, rumors with nothing backing them and a majority of them are because Schneider "looks" like a pedo, whatever that means.

I didn't follow the stuff about him close enough to comment either way. His name is just the first to come to mind. The guy heading Saved by the Bell had allegations thrown his way as well. Basically, there have been enough rumors about a number of different hollywood execs working with underaged teen stars that it's unlikely that all of them are made up, even if some of them are made up. Abuse of power is rampant in that industry.

GhaleonEB

Read this just a bit ago. The bluntness of his final dinner with Lupita, even knowing everything this monster did...jesus. The whole, let's cut to the chase, I lured you here under false pretenses so I could fuck you and then do your career a favor. And he's clearly so damn comfortable with it because that's how he operated for who knows how long.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Fuck Harvey Weinstein.

At the same time we all know he wasn't the only one doing this shit with how brazen he was. This seems to be the norm in upper Hollywood and I want to see more heads roll. Hopefully more women can find the courage and support to come forward so we can start removing these parasites from positions of power.

Fuck all these scumbags, Hollywood or any other industry.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you have a source for that? I'm all for outing creeps but that's an tactic I see (I read somewhere) from people who want to push a specific narrative.

The source is an entertainment gossip blog on which a random internet person makes exceedingly vague posts that are updated with a "reveal" up to years later (if ever) when one of the details happens to kindasorta align with something in real life. Nobody should be placing any stock in it.

Toothless

The thing that really disturbs me about this story is that it really shows how much of a predator this guy was. Who knows how many college students he tried this on, young women trying to get both the film and theater industry. Lupita made it to Hollywood on her own; there are probably countless people who gave up after being harassed or worse by Weinstein. The more and more that comes about this, the more disgusted I am.

Donos

The thing that really disturbs me about this story is that it really shows how much of a predator this guy was. Who knows how many college students he tried this on, young women trying to get both the film and theater industry. Lupita made it to Hollywood on her own; there are probably countless people who gave up after being harassed or worse by Weinstein. The more and more that comes about this, the more disgusted I am.

That's what i think too. There are probably countless women who won't speak out about this fucker.

Top Bottom