• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

_RT_

Just bought this game over the weekend (PSN sale).
I've played for 30 minutes and can't even get past the intro stage. Lol.
Should I just pack it in?

Thats the learning curve for you, practice with your gun for stagger enemies when they are about to hit you, hit them back without remorse with your weapon you can get your health back

Oidisco

Just beat
Lady Maria
and holy shit it was so tough. I couldn't get the correct dodge timing down for whatever reason and I was being a bit impatient but it was super fun!

I'm really liking this DLC so far. The bosses in the main game have been a bit easier than I expected, so this fight and
Ludwig
were a nice surprise.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Micolesh or whatever is not fun either.

The bosses in Bloodborne have mostly been a huge letdown for me after the dark souls games. I mostly loved all the humanoid bosses of dark souls so I'm already pretty weird.

The bosses in Bloodborne have mostly been a huge letdown for me after the dark souls games. I mostly loved all the humanoid bosses of dark souls so I'm already pretty weird.

I think Micolash have one only dangerous move , and have like 0 frames to tell you where is he gonna cast it

psyfi

Banned
Hey yall, I'm playing my first NG+ and I could use some advice on stats. I'm currently level 90 with

Vit 33
End 34
Str 10
Skill 40
Bloodtinge 11
Arc 12

Should I just keep on boosting Vit / End / Skill, or show some love to the other stats? I prefer quick, agile weapons, but I wouldn't mind trying slower ones sometime too. But if I do NG++ etc. do I really have room to spare points to stats that I'm not majorly focusing on?

Hmmm thinking about calling it guys. Tried for weeks to beat this game but just hit the wall. Have not made any real progress, not sure where to go, enemies are way to tough, and feel like I've missed way to much. Just not fun or interesting anymore.

I want to beat it and I want to play it but its crossing into that feeling like a waste of time area. Not sure if there is something just not clicking with this game or what.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hmmm thinking about calling it guys. Tried for weeks to beat this game but just hit the wall. Have not made any real progress, not sure where to go, enemies are way to tough, and feel like I've missed way to much. Just not fun or interesting anymore.

I want to beat it and I want to play it but its crossing into that feeling like a waste of time area. Not sure if there is something just not clicking with this game or what.

Where are you in the game?

psyfi

Banned

The only time I ever felt like that was when I was in an area prematurely. Try exploring a little more, and just let yourself enjoy the gameplay while you level up.

Pixieking

Banned
Hey yall, I'm playing my first NG+ and I could use some advice on stats. I'm currently level 90 with

Vit 33
End 34
Str 10
Skill 40
Bloodtinge 11
Arc 12

Should I just keep on boosting Vit / End / Skill, or show some love to the other stats? I prefer quick, agile weapons, but I wouldn't mind trying slower ones sometime too. But if I do NG++ etc. do I really have room to spare points to stats that I'm not majorly focusing on?

Where are you in the game? Just started NG+? What runes are you using? If you can spare a slot or two for the Moon Rune(s), leveling isn't too hard, especially if you intersperse it with actually exploring and pushing further into the game. It also depends upon how willing you are to grind. If you can find a good spot and don't mind it, you can just drop one point in Str, one point in Vit, one point in End repeatedly over the course of 3 or 4 hours, and not "lose" points.

grmlin

So today I learned, after playing through this game multiple times, that I can stun my nemesis the
brainsuckers
with fire.

Holy fuck, and all this because I accidentally used my fire gem equipped saw spear lol.

If I had known this before. Countless insight would have been saved!

jviggy43

So today I learned, after playing through this game multiple times, that I can stun my nemesis the
brainsuckers
with fire.

Holy fuck, and all this because I accidentally used my fire gem equipped saw spear lol.

If I had known this before. Countless insight would have been saved!

I love in upper cathedral ward getting ambushed by two of them and having no iframes to escape if they catch you in that spell that freezes you. As soon as you get up the other one grans you before you can dodge.

On my end of news that I discovered....pizza cutter scales with Str AND Arc. I think this might be my favorite build now as the pizza cutter was so good on my strength build. Then again, my bloodtinge simon's bow/katina build was awesome too. I need to farm for some blood gems so I can Pvp.

grmlin

I love in upper cathedral ward getting ambushed by two of them and having no iframes to escape if they catch you in that spell that freezes you. As soon as you get up the other one grans you before you can dodge.

On my end of news that I discovered....pizza cutter scales with Str AND Arc. I think this might be my favorite build now as the pizza cutter was so good on my strength build. Then again, my bloodtinge simon's bow/katina build was awesome too. I need to farm for some blood gems so I can Pvp.
With arc? Really?

I'll put points into it later, too then. Until now the pizza cutter was a beast, especially against bosses.

I can set
the dream on fire and kill the nurse
before I do the DLC right? I don't think I did it like this the last time.

jviggy43

With arc? Really?

I'll put points into it later, too then. Until now the pizza cutter was a beast, especially against bosses.

I can set

Yeah it scales B with arc and S with str which is perfect for my build. I literally couldnt believe it, and dont understand why but Im not complaining,

To your second part, yes. Thats typically how I do it considering the difficulty in the dlc compared to the main game.

No, don't give up yet. Central Yarnham might well be the hardest part of the game, as after that you'll get vital experience and once you get to Cathedral Ward it's a good area for levelling up. Have you got past the mob around the fire? Just past there you can unlock a shortcut to save you keep running back through the whole level. Don't give up yet, and we'll at least try to help you get past this area so you can give the game a proper shake!

Yeah, this is something I was going to touch on when I'd finished the DLC, but as much as I love the game I don't think the bosses are anywhere near as good as Demon's or Dark Souls (haven't played DS2 or 3). Most are either a hunter or a big beast; there's not enough variety IMO, and most of the big enemies are quite flail-y in their attacks.

Vit 33
End 34
Str 10
Skill 40
Bloodtinge 11
Arc 12

I focused on VIT and STR until I had both at 50, and then I put a lot into END and Skill. Have not put any into Bloodtinge (because I barely use my gun) or ARC. I'm about level 130 now, and my stats are roughly something like this:

VIT 55
END 28
STR 50
Skill 35
Bloodtinge 11 (starting number)
ARC 12 (starting number)

Where are you stuck? I'm not particularly good at the game but I've powered through and I'm close to the Platinum, largely because I love the combat and I did a lot of grinding in Central Yarnham & Cathedral Ward to make sure I was appropriately levelled, if not over-levelled. Don't forget as well that summoning is always an option - even though it has been out for two years there always seems to be a pretty decent number of people online IMO.

I can set

Yep; you can visit the DLC at any time up until you've killed the last boss(es).

I already miss this game. Thinking about doing mindless Chalice Dungeon runs untill I find the Hintertomb Chalice and kill all bosses in all other "set dungeons" (no randoms).

I already miss this game. Thinking about doing mindless Chalice Dungeon runs untill I find the Hintertomb Chalice and kill all bosses in all other "set dungeons" (no randoms).

In 2010 after I'd got the Platinum for Demon's Souls I felt a emptiness and no other game appealed to me for a while. I'd played it for 10 weeks straight and was genuinely unsatisfied with any other game after that.

psyfi

Banned
Where are you in the game? Just started NG+? What runes are you using? If you can spare a slot or two for the Moon Rune(s), leveling isn't too hard, especially if you intersperse it with actually exploring and pushing further into the game. It also depends upon how willing you are to grind. If you can find a good spot and don't mind it, you can just drop one point in Str, one point in Vit, one point in End repeatedly over the course of 3 or 4 hours, and not "lose" points.
I just beat the game for the first time a few days ago, and now I'm on NG+ right after BSB. I have one moon rune equipped (I think), but I don't have a second. I honestly feel pretty OP right now, so I don't feel a need to grind echoes. I guess my concern is that I'll eventually become underpowered if I keep making progress and eventually move onto NG++, but stop putting points into the stuff I'm specializing in. Like, if I stop favoring SKL and put points into STR instead, I'm worried I won't be strong enough in either by the time I reach the end of NG+. Does that make sense? And I'd really like to avoid grinding. I've gotten this far without doing it.

I might be worried about nothing, but somehow I got the impression that this could be an issue.

Yeah it scales B with arc and S with str which is perfect for my build. I literally couldnt believe it, and dont understand why but Im not complaining,

To your second part, yes. Thats typically how I do it considering the difficulty in the dlc compared to the main game.

i believe the Arc scaling only kicks in if you have it with an arc gem - which will convert it to a completely arc weapon without any bonus from Str.

I just started the Defiled Chalice ...this isn't fun. Also Loran Darkbeast is kicking my ass because the camera is awful.

jviggy43

Thats what Im doing now. Let me know if you wanna co-op some. It seems we both enjoy running solo but chalice dungeons are great for running with someone else. I need some blood gems for PvP

Where are you stuck? I'm not particularly good at the game but I've powered through and I'm close to the Platinum, largely because I love the combat and I did a lot of grinding in Central Yarnham & Cathedral Ward to make sure I was appropriately levelled, if not over-levelled. Don't forget as well that summoning is always an option - even though it has been out for two years there always seems to be a pretty decent number of people online IMO.

In the final phase and fighting the blood enemies but... not much else. Randomly came across Darkbeast boss and beat that but clearly should have come across it earlier or something. Try to summon but generally does not find anyone when I'm playing. Trying to go through the dlc area too.

I can kill stuff but I missed so many items, npcs, bosses and what not that its more a turn off than compelling me to beat it much less play again to see what I missed.

cj_iwakura

Does anyone else feel like the messages have never been 'right' since Demon's Souls? They always had a certain level of poignancy that I appreciated. Things like 'Someday...' 'Remember....' etc. Dark/Bloodborne have a thing with customs that just doesn't work as well, not to mention the poor punctuation/capitalization.

i believe the Arc scaling only kicks in if you have it with an arc gem - which will convert it to a completely arc weapon without any bonus from Str.

Exactly, low scaling on Arc doesnt mean the weapon can propertly works on arca unless you found the uncanny variant that can fully supports arc and still the stats works better with arc gems

Does anyone else feel like the messages have never been 'right' since Demon's Souls? They always had a certain level of poignancy that I appreciated. Things like 'Someday...' 'Remember....' etc. Dark/Bloodborne have a thing with customs that just doesn't work as well, not to mention the poor punctuation/capitalization.

You can add some verbs and prepositions if you press R1 I think

You can add some verbs and prepositions if you press R1 I think

Yeah, you can say better sentences in this than Demon's and DS1 for certain (not sure about the other two). Such as 'Beware of ambush therefore rolling is required' or something like that, with a silhouette of your character pointing if you want.

Saya

I've fought alot of bullshit bosses in my time but Defiled Amygdala is taking the cake. I'd rather fight Orphan again.

He's easy once you know the pattern. I killed him just a few days ago. Keep strafing to his left and bait him in using his leg stomp. You can get a few hits in every time. When he starts jumping around, stand still and use the R2 charge attack.

Pixieking

Banned
I just beat the game for the first time a few days ago, and now I'm on NG+ right after BSB. I have one moon rune equipped (I think), but I don't have a second. I honestly feel pretty OP right now, so I don't feel a need to grind echoes. I guess my concern is that I'll eventually become underpowered if I keep making progress and eventually move onto NG++, but stop putting points into the stuff I'm specializing in. Like, if I stop favoring SKL and put points into STR instead, I'm worried I won't be strong enough in either by the time I reach the end of NG+. Does that make sense? And I'd really like to avoid grinding. I've gotten this far without doing it.

I might be worried about nothing, but somehow I got the impression that this could be an issue.

I don't think that's an issue - I think dropping points into Str will still give your main weapon selection a boost in attack power, just not as much as Skl would, and once you hit 50 Skl you're going to see diminishing returns due to the soft-cap anyways. End's soft cap is 40, so you're close to that, too. If you're concerned about NG++, you could always leave any potential grinding til right near the end of the game, and it won't feel like a chore to do. Just before the Nurse boss (with the 2 pigs) was giving me a level every 5-ish minutes in NG, and that was with one Moon rune attached.

psyfi

Banned
I don't think that's an issue - I think dropping points into Str will still give your main weapon selection a boost in attack power, just not as much as Skl would, and once you hit 50 Skl you're going to see diminishing returns due to the soft-cap anyways. End's soft cap is 40, so you're close to that, too. If you're concerned about NG++, you could always leave any potential grinding til right near the end of the game, and it won't feel like a chore to do. Just before the Nurse boss (with the 2 pigs) was giving me a level every 5-ish minutes in NG, and that was with one Moon rune attached.
Cool, thanks for the info. I made a little more progress tonight (beat Amelia) and so far it's been pretty smooth sailing. I just got my first weapon to +10 -- Blade of Mercy. :)

jviggy43

Im totally 180ing on this arcane build. Especially since ill have to stop at 120 for the pvp cap. Blows my mind how terrible of an idea it was to tie this to bullets while also requiring 5-7 bullets for any good spell. Unfortunate but looks like Ill be going back to gem hunting for my skill/blood tinge build.

Fought the Watchdog in Cursed & Defiled Pthumerian Chalice a few times, and I probably didn't get it lower than 2/3 health. One time I got someone to co-op with me and I had an NPC Old Hunter, but I got a bit too brash and died to it before we had a chance to do too much damage to the bloody thing. Losing steam a little, but I need to have this finished before Horizon is out next week.

Pixieking

Banned
Bought this on sale and then found out you need ps plus for invasion, messages and co op. Guess I should have seen it coming.

Initially the idea of having to solo it sucks, but unless you're really into SoulsBorne games for the PvP/Co-op, it's actually fantastic playing through on your own. The atmosphere without messages, invasions or the possibility to do co-op is so tense, especially when you get into the pure horror enemy designs.

I played it without PS Plus on NG, and I'm now in NG+, doing the same. Don't let the initial "that sucks" detract from your enjoyment. :)

grmlin

Yes, play it offline, alone, without help. Thats the best feeling in the end!

I'm in the DLC now, killed the nurse with the Whirligig, easy mod again.
OMG I forgot how friggin hard it is lol. What a difficulty spike, it's almost like another game mode compared to the vanilla game.

Can't wait to fight Ludwig again.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just started playing Bloodborne not too long ago after beating DS1 and 2, but I'm stuck in Old Yharnam. How the hell am I supposed to kill that machine gun hunter?

You dont have to but, keep moving so he cant hit you. Theres a way to climb up once youbget behind the tower.

Just started playing Bloodborne not too long ago after beating DS1 and 2, but I'm stuck in Old Yharnam. How the hell am I supposed to kill that machine gun hunter?

You can also cheese him a bit by throwing him off the ledge with constant attacks when he's close to it. If you can't find his loot down there you just need to reload the game and climb the tower again.

So one guy (Elajjaz) did a new speedrun World Record of Bloodborne + DLC (all bosses) on 18th of January 2017 (!!!).

A new World Record in 2017!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0bWlr4rYdo

1:12:48, all bosses, no Chalice, no deaths.

Un-fucking-believable.

Dat Ludwig fight is just WOW. And he had balls of steel in the Laurence fight, Jesus.

I love Elajjaz. He's so chill and fun to watch, and you can really learn a lot about the game from his speedruns.

To be clear I've gotten to the ladder but every time I try to fight that guy he just owns me super hard, and I don't wanna fight the other guy at the bottom because the gunner on top is just gonna come at me like Mac in Predator. I guess this is just gonna boil down to git gud, but the transition from Souls to Bloodborne hasn't been easy.

To be clear I've gotten to the ladder but every time I try to fight that guy he just owns me super hard, and I don't wanna fight the other guy at the bottom because the gunner on top is just gonna come at me like Mac in Predator. I guess this is just gonna boil down to git gud, but the transition from Souls to Bloodborne hasn't been easy.

Well, accidents can happen and he maybe slip down that tower with some random bullets on his body

psyfi

Banned
Just keep trying. In both of my play throughs so far I beat the dude at the bottom first, it shouldn't be an issue. Just coax him out. Then for the guy at the top, it helps to be agile. On my first play through I got lucky and he rolled off the tower, lmao.

And idk, I've only played DS1 before BB, but I found BB way easier. Maybe I was just more used to the formula.

Dave_6

Just started playing this again for the first time since 2015. I played it a little after it launched but stopped because of the difficulty and my lack of patience :p I left off after first getting to the Cathedral Ward but made some decent progress and have gotten to BSB as of last night. Got wrecked twice even with me summoning Alfred but I'm going to give it a few more tries tonight. I've been watching epicnamebro's walk throughs and even he died a few times on that fight.

psyfi

Banned
Just started playing this again for the first time since 2015. I played it a little after it launched but stopped because of the difficulty and my lack of patience :p I left off after first getting to the Cathedral Ward but made some decent progress and have gotten to BSB as of last night. Got wrecked twice even with me summoning Alfred but I'm going to give it a few more tries tonight. I've been watching epicnamebro's walk throughs and even he died a few times on that fight.
BSB is when I broke down and finally started summoning co-op players. It made the fight way better, and from then on I summoned help for nearly every boss battle.

Okay, so confession time: I don't like boss fights in any game all that much, including Soulslike games. I know that's sacrilege around these parts, but man, they're just not my thing. My love for Souls games is in the exploration, discovery, atmosphere, and combat against normal enemies. The bosses are fun, but I don't get nearly as much out of them as the entire rest of the game. So I fully endorse cheaping out on the boss fights. No shame. You do you.

Top Bottom