• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“The GAF Collection” – Weekend Photoshop Thread

C Jones

grandyu said:
there are some fantastic covers doodz.

though, i'm gonna have to shit on the parade for a little bit.
I'm sure others have mentioned it, but the reason why most of these great looking covers will never work is that they're just too damn esoteric.

This then led me to wonder why book covers are allowed so much more creative freedom and meanwhile games get an orgy of collages that include the whole damn cast of the game.

I guess game coorporations (mostly western) just think the majority of the gaming population arent intelligent enough for subtlety.

perhaps the reason why japanese game covers are usually better is because there's no such condescending stigmas attached to gamers there. It makes sense, since they do have a much wider range of people that game.
Would be nice if games came with reversible covers (like RE5) - one for "selling" the game and another more geared towards shelf display.

Ecto311

307qo09.jpg

Didn't see a star tropics one yet.

260y1cl.jpg

Work in progress

grandyu

C Jones said:
Would be nice if games came with reversible covers (like RE5) - one for "selling" the game and another more geared towards shelf display.
yeah.... though it's too much to ask to have a decent manual in colour nowadays

One more from me tonight... unedited image from Zatôichi to Yôjinbô. I will say though that there are a few in this thread that really capture the aesthetic of the Criterion covers. Me, I'm just photoshopping.

Hats off to you guys, especially McBacon, ShaunBRS, somnific, Bernbaum, painey, and Jocchan.

2eaqf02.png

bitq

Bernbaum said:
Wow, this is addictive. Here is my last one for the day, and my personal favourite.

29m6tmg.jpg

god damn.... so awesome

is the design original? very cool concept. the whole premise of the game in a single picture.

Willeth

JasonMCG said:
Quick 'n dirty. Not the most original, but...

AtariTennis.jpg
I really like this.

Someone mentioned God Hand before - to be honest, I'm not sure it needs altering. There are some covers that are just fine the way they are.

DestinRL

Theres so much greatness here but I think my 2 favorite are actually pretty simple. Rock Band with the picture of the amp and MGS4 with the egg. Very nice.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
From gaffer AVCables who is currently banned:

falloutcoverone.jpg

falloutcovertwo.png

he also said, i don't have time to be creative right now, maybe later and that everyones entries are great in this thread.

Ecto311

SweetTea023 said:
Finishing up a first draft of a Bioshock 2 cover...Do I need to include the "NeoGaf collection" sidebar?

I don't think you need to but it would help it "fit in".

Has anyone thought of putting these into a blurb book? Theirs probably not enough to get a full book yet but it would be awesome as a show piece book. I used blurb for my wedding pictures and it came out really good.

SweetTea023 said:
Finishing up a first draft of a Bioshock 2 cover...Do I need to include the "NeoGaf collection" sidebar?

Edit: Here it is:

Bioshock2Cover.jpg

I'd say put in the GAF Collection and take out the 360 bar as it looks like a regular box art at the moment. Fix the title up and just put in the picture and it would probably look pretty awesome.

dabookerman said:
gafcolsnakeeater.png

Here's one I did.

I guess only fans will get it lol.

I'm not usually a fan of the real photo covers but this one is awesome. One of my favorites.

VGChampion said:
I'd say put in the GAF Collection and take out the 360 bar as it looks like a regular box art at the moment. Fix the title up and just put in the picture and it would probably look pretty awesome.

Ok thanks for the tips~ I did some adjusting. I just copy/pasted the GAF Collection tab because I'm not sure how to make it myself =/- Any thoughts?

v.2:
bioshock2cover2.jpg

Top Bottom