• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

So you think it's some issue with the coating on the back of the phone?

One would think it would have gotten around somehow that the case makers should not put patterns inside their cases...

Nah, there is no coating on the back of the phone. In my opinion it's the materials the cases are made out of combined with the heat generated from the phone/being in hot environments in general that causes the case to stick and imprint their pattern on the back. Haven't tested this at all, just an educated guess

Clipse

Anyone else trying to upgrade this year after taking advantage of last year's $650 trade-in credit promo that some carriers were offering?

I've been thinking of the best way to go about this and it seems like buying a SIM-free iPhone 8 outright and swapping in my SIM card should let me keep the monthly credits until my iPhone 7 is paid off. I'm assuming this will only work if the credits are tied to the line and not the phone.

Only other options I see:

1. Verizon's early upgrade program. Turn in my phone so I no longer need to pay off the rest, but I forfeit any remaining trade-in credit from last year.

2. Buyout the rest of my phone ($500~) and then sell/trade it for as much as possible, which I will probably barely break even on.

Anyone else trying to upgrade this year after taking advantage of last year's $650 trade-in credit promo that some carriers were offering?

I've been thinking of the best way to go about this and it seems like buying a SIM-free iPhone 8 outright and swapping in my SIM card should let me keep the monthly credits until my iPhone 7 is paid off. I'm assuming this will only work if the credits are tied to the line and not the phone.

Only other options I see:

1. Verizon's early upgrade program. Turn in my phone so I no longer need to pay off the rest, but I forfeit any remaining trade-in credit from last year.

2. Buyout the rest of my phone ($500~) and then sell/trade it for as much as possible, which I will probably barely break even on.

SIM-free model won't be available for about a month after launch, maybe more. Also I think you would still be forfeiting the credits if you go with Option 2.

Maybe Verizon will let you buy the phone full price without activating it? I know if you buy it at an Apple Store before the SIM-free model comes out it HAS to be activated

SIM-free model won't be available for about a month after launch, maybe more. Also I think you would still be forfeiting the credits if you go with Option 2.

Maybe Verizon will let you buy the phone full price without activating it? I know if you buy it at an Apple Store before the SIM-free model comes out it HAS to be activated
They don't do unlocked until a month after release?

Clipse

Just spoke to a Verizon rep and they said I'd keep my monthly credits if I were to put my SIM in an unlocked phone bought outright. I don't mind waiting a few months for the SIM-free phones to be available since waiting will save me a couple hundred dollars in the end.

They don't do unlocked until a month after release?

Correct

Just spoke to a Verizon rep and they said I'd keep my monthly credits if I were to put my SIM in an unlocked phone bought outright. I don't mind waiting a few months for the SIM-free phones to be available since waiting will save me a couple hundred dollars in the end.

Awesome! Like I said, you can see if upgrading but paying full price voids your credit if you DON’T want to wait, but you seem pretty content

Damn, that sucks. Can you unlock a iPhone?

Only the carrier can. So you might be able to buy one full price from your carrier and then immediately request an unlock, don’t know how that would work.

“Unlocked” also contains two definitions, one being that it isn’t locked to a carrier, but the second is that it has the LTE bands to work on every carrier. Every generation that model changes

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Sprint model is the universal one
iPhone 6s and 6s Plus: AT&T model is the universal one
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Verizon and Sprint phones are universal

iPhone SE: there is no universal one, only Sprint models will work on Sprint

Always check here before buying an “unlocked” phone:
https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Only the carrier can. So you might be able to buy one full price from your carrier and then immediately request an unlock, don’t know how that would work.

“Unlocked” also contains two definitions, one being that it isn’t locked to a carrier, but the second is that it has the LTE bands to work on every carrier. Every generation that model changes

iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Sprint model is the universal one
iPhone 6s and 6s Plus: AT&T model is the universal one
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Verizon and Sprint phones are universal

iPhone SE: there is no universal one, only Sprint models will work on Sprint

Always check here before buying an “unlocked” phone:
https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Hmm, wonder what they gave me when I asked for an unlocked 7+? I would think the verizon/sprint one.

Are unlocked harder to get early on since they're not part of the preorders due to the delayed release?

Hmm, wonder what they gave me when I asked for an unlocked 7+? I would think the verizon/sprint one.

Are unlocked harder to get early on since they're not part of the preorders due to the delayed release?

If memory serves, not moreso than normal. Everything will be supply constrained for a couple months, even once the unlocked ones come out

There's no physical difference between a carrier locked phone and a SIM-free one as long as they have the same radios, so it's all coming from the same supply line, there's not a new one being opened up

If memory serves, not moreso than normal. Everything will be supply constrained for a couple months, even once the unlocked ones come out

There's no physical difference between a carrier locked phone and a SIM-free one as long as they have the same radios, so it's all coming from the same supply line, there's not a new one being opened up

Yeah, I just didn't know if people buying unlocked is less common so they set up less that way or something initially so there's a smaller pool available. Is preordering through the apple store still the best way to potentially get one? I'd rather just have unlocked if possible so maybe I'll see if my T-mobile store does that or not.

Yeah, I just didn't know if people buying unlocked is less common so they set up less that way or something initially so there's a smaller pool available. Is preordering through the apple store still the best way to potentially get one? I'd rather just have unlocked if possible so maybe I'll see if my T-mobile store does that or not.

If you want a truly truly unlocked one it's hard to say. I can't answer that until we know which model has all the radios and will become the SIM-free phone. It may be the T-Mobile phone this year, it may not be

If you want a truly truly unlocked one it's hard to say. I can't answer that until we know which model has all the radios and will become the SIM-free phone. It may be the T-Mobile phone this year, it may not be
Yeah, I have T-mobile now so they're the only one I would risk to get over an unlocked phone but still really really prefer to get an unlocked model. Being locked to something is stupid for me.

Appreciate all the help, I think I'm returning my 7 plus at the end of this week for a $50 burner phone from amazon and then seeing what they release and making a decision.

Yeah, I have T-mobile now so they're the only one I would risk to get over an unlocked phone but still really really prefer to get an unlocked model. Being locked to something is stupid for me.

Appreciate all the help, I think I'm returning my 7 plus at the end of this week for a $50 burner phone from amazon and then seeing what they release and making a decision.

Probably a good decision. You'll get a 7S with upgraded specs and a 10nm chip for the same money.

What's the easiest way to get MP3 files onto an iPhone? I have pretty much never had the need to do it before and when I used Android it was as easy as drag and drop but I know iOS doesn't have have that kind of a system. My college course is done through MP3 files and so I am researching the best way to get them on my phone.

What's the easiest way to get MP3 files onto an iPhone? I have pretty much never had the need to do it before and when I used Android it was as easy as drag and drop but I know iOS doesn't have have that kind of a system. My college course is done through MP3 files and so I am researching the best way to get them on my phone.

Just add them through iTunes. iTunes has a drag and drop mode. Get iTunes, add the files to it, plug in phone, drag files to phone

do you even to need to drag the files to your phone?

I thought iTunes uploads mp3s to the cloud so you can access them through the music app on your phone

it does for me anyway, but is that because I have Apple Music?

do you even to need to drag the files to your phone?

I thought iTunes uploads mp3s to the cloud so you can access them through the music app on your phone

it does for me anyway, but is that because I have Apple Music?

Yes that’s a feature of Apple Music. Or iTunes Match which is cheaper

Is it supposed to sync what you've listened to across devices? Or is there a way to make it do that? Like I have it autodownload new podcasts, if I listen on my phone is there a way to have it also mark it as listened to on my ipad?

Sweet, I'll keep googling for an answer but not opposed to spending a couple bucks if it fixes my issue.

Overcast, if I remember the new business model, is totally free with ads (not in the podcasts themselves aside from what the hosts read, but in the UI) with an optional $10/year purchase to remove ads

Overcast, if I remember the new business model, is totally free with ads (not in the podcasts themselves aside from what the hosts read, but in the UI) with an optional $10/year purchase to remove ads

Eh, not sure I'm a fan of paying a subscription to listen to podcasts.

So it seems it's SUPPOSED to sync but apparently it's been buggy as hell for a while and apple hasn't cared to fix it. I might just buy pocketcasts, apparently that syncs and even syncs across ios and android so it will literally be every device I own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Eh, not sure I'm a fan of paying a subscription to listen to podcasts.

So it seems it's SUPPOSED to sync but apparently it's been buggy as hell for a while and apple hasn't cared to fix it. I might just buy pocketcasts, apparently that syncs and even syncs across ios and android so it will literally be every device I own.

it does, but isn't perfect.

It'll sync which podcasts you are subscribed to, and it'll sync how much of each podcast you've played - so you can resume cross-platform. But the 'up next' queue doesn't sync, and it doesn't sync settings. That can be a pain. Eg I have my favourite podcasts set up to auto download, keep all episodes, automatically add to 'up next' and then delete themselves when I've finished listening to an episode. That means I almost never leave 'up next' - there is always something ready for me to listen to, and I just sometimes adjust the order based on my mood.

But none of that syncs across - not even from iphone to ipad. I just switched to android and had to set it all up again. Doesn't take a long time, but it is the sort of thing that is a bit frustrating.

it does, but isn't perfect.

It'll sync which podcasts you are subscribed to, and it'll sync how much of each podcast you've played - so you can resume cross-platform. But the 'up next' queue doesn't sync, and it doesn't sync settings. That can be a pain. Eg I have my favourite podcasts set up to auto download, keep all episodes, automatically add to 'up next' and then delete themselves when I've finished listening to an episode. That means I almost never leave 'up next' - there is always something ready for me to listen to, and I just sometimes adjust the order based on my mood.

But none of that syncs across - not even from iphone to ipad. I just switched to android and had to set it all up again. Doesn't take a long time, but it is the sort of thing that is a bit frustrating.

I think that should be ok, the podcasts app built in hasn't been syncing how much I've listened to which has been the biggest frustration. I'll be listening on my ipad and then go for a jog later and it shows the episode like I haven't listened to any of it so I have to start another episode or hunt through an hour+ to find where I was.

just go to settings and messages and flick it off

not sure why the site above wouldn't work for you though

No clue, nothing with apple has worked so far with owning this phone.

I signed out of everything like it said and it was still sending/receiving somehow. Flicked it off and trying again...

No clue, nothing with apple has worked so far with owning this phone.

I signed out of everything like it said and it was still sending/receiving somehow. Flicked it off and trying again...

If you signed out of the messsges portion of settings (not just iCloud) there’s literally no way anything can be directed to that phone

Deku Tree

Ok I paid for an album on iTunes.

On my iPhone it says the album is "purchased" in iTunes app but I don't see a download icon.

And when I click on the songs individually on my iPhone it asks me to subscribe to apple music.

So how do I download the album directly to my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10?

Ok I paid for an album on iTunes.

On my iPhone it says the album is "purchased" in iTunes app but I don't see a download icon.

And when I click on the songs individually on my iPhone it asks me to subscribe to apple music.

So how do I download the album directly to my iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 10?

iTunes -> More -> Purchased -> Music -> whatever you bought

You can also turn off Apple Music stuff in the Music setting if you don’t want to see it, don’t know why it was bothering you about that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so - iphone 6s, 7, or 8? I had a 6s since launch until about a month ago when I gave it to my son for his birthday (anticipating the new iphones). But the X is a big step up in price I'm still trying to process.

If I don't go for the X, then I need to choose between the 6s, 7, and 8. All seem pretty damn similiar. If we put aside wireless charging, then what are the real differences?

- 7 adds optical stabilisation for the camera over the 6s
- 7 is a bump in CPU/GPU, 8 is another bump. But I never felt the 6s was slow at all.

anything fundamental I'm missing? Trying to work out if the 7 is worth £100 more than the 6s (probably, OIS sounds good and CPU bump won't hurt); and if the 8 is worth £150 more than the 7 (struggling on this one)

so - iphone 6s, 7, or 8? I had a 6s since launch until about a month ago when I gave it to my son for his birthday (anticipating the new iphones). But the X is a big step up in price I'm still trying to process.

If I don't go for the X, then I need to choose between the 6s, 7, and 8. All seem pretty damn similiar. If we put aside wireless charging, then what are the real differences?

- 7 adds optical stabilisation for the camera over the 6s
- 7 is a bump in CPU/GPU, 8 is another bump. But I never felt the 6s was slow at all.

anything fundamental I'm missing? Trying to work out if the 7 is worth £100 more than the 6s (probably, OIS sounds good and CPU bump won't hurt); and if the 8 is worth £150 more than the 7 (struggling on this one)

OIS is totally worth it, I’d say don’t go below the 7 at least. 7 also has (official) water resistance, significantly better speakers.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think you're fine with the 7, it improves enough over the 6S, while the 8 gives way too little over the 7 to make it worth the extra cash, in my mind.

Unless you really really want that lighting option for the camera, that is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think you're fine with the 7, it improves enough over the 6S, while the 8 gives way too little over the 7 to make it worth the extra cash, in my mind.

Unless you really really want that lighting option for the camera, that is.

lighting option may be limited to the plus with dual lenses - tempted but don't want a big, heavy phone. Also you can arse about with lighting in post processing but I dont usually use my phone for portraits..

Is the dual lens awesome though?

OIS is totally worth it, I’d say don’t go below the 7 at least. 7 also has (official) water resistance, significantly better speakers.

OIS is so worth it. Also, the flash is amazing and selfie camera is a bit better. iPhone 7 also has marginally better screen and battery life.

Quick

Banned
Thinking of getting an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. I'm coming from an iPhone 6. I figure the 8 has almost the same specs to the 7.

Worth the jump?

Top Bottom