• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
How is this any different than what Steam/Valve does with their own games?

Probably because people want games to be available on what is largely considered the best digital distribution platform?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Deadbeat said:
Thats okay buy RO2 instead. Also, I bet Activision has no problem having all the steam market.
Agree with that. If EA is truly making it Origin exclusive, I have fears for ME3.

bernardobri said:
So, in the case of Steam, for those who managed to buy the game, is the download still available 24/7 or is it completely lost for good?
You can still download it and play it, all this does is stop you buying it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Xamdou said:
EA pulled Crysis 2 from the steam store because they know of the upcoming steam summer sale which will make mark the game's price anywhere from 30%-50%.

What? Steam cant just lower the price on games they dont own whenver the fuck they feel like it

Cartman86

Banned
Keep the DRM the same as steam and don't require me to run two different clients for digital games and I will buy it on any service. Not fair that steam is always going to be the one client that i'm okay with running? Too bad.

sflufan

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
How is this any different than what Steam/Valve does with their own games? I mean, I wouldn't expect Valve to put their games up on EA's Origin.

The main issue isn't that the game was pulled from Steam -- the issue is that it's available for every other DD service EXCEPT Steam.

If the game were truly an Origin exclusive, then this would be a non-issue.

kamspy

Boxed games work fine people.....I own 250+ games on Steam and I recognize that Left 4 Dead isn't available on D2D.

EA owns DICE, I really like DICE, so yeah. No biggie. Box looks hot anyways.

Omikron

szaromir said:
What if EA offers a better service soon?

Maybe they will, do you honestly believe this to be the case however?

And then, do you see people re-buying all the games they own on steam over on another platform?

TheUsual said:
Agree with that. If EA is truly making it Origin exclusive, I have fears for ME3.

I expect EA to make all of their games exclusive to Origin. They actually have enough good IP's to pull it off as well.

It's understandable but a shame that people will be electing to miss out on Crysis 2 because of this, it's a great game.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Xamdou said:
EA pulled Crysis 2 from the steam store because they know of the upcoming steam summer sale which will make mark the game's price anywhere from 30%-50%.

Valve doesn't just put games on sale without the publishers permission. :|

PatzCU

If BF3 isn't available on Steam, I'll just buy the game from Amazon. There is no fucking way I'm giving ANY money to EA through their Origin service. Quit forcing me into using your shitty DD software and let me choose how I want to buy your product. Honestly, this is a horrific precedent and I'm hoping there is another motive behind pulling Crysis 2 from Steam (not that I give a shit anyway).

If I have to install Origin to play BF3 online, I might not even buy it. And this is coming from a guy who has owned, and played extensively, every BF since 1942.

leadbelly

Banned
Interesting. I wonder how much Valve gets for each game downloaded on Steam?

I was waiting for this to go on sale too. I wasn't going to get the game when I knew a DX11 patch would be released at a later date. You might as well wait for it to go on sale and get it then. That way you get it cheaper and it's the superior version.

I guess it won't be in a Steam sale now though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I suspect it will only be about a year or so before they move all of their games to being only on Origin.

SWTOR + BF3 + ME3 will probably be enough to grab them any consumers who were willing to switch anyway.

Max

I am not Max
scoobs said:
If bf3 is not on steam... i dont even know what to say. I honestly might not buy it
Is there something wrong with physical media lol

acting as if you don't own a disc drive

History repeats itself.

EA fought a hard fight with Microsoft before they really would support xbox live on the original xbox. It looks like EA is again trying throw its weight around by not supporting Steam.

Well . . . I have a feeling I'm not going to be buying as many EA PC games.

And there goes my dream of getting the old Medal of Honor back catalog on Steam.

szaromir

Banned
Omi said:
Maybe they will, do you honestly believe this to be the case however?
I am not as fond of Steam as many people here. Maybe it's only my PC, but Steam adds 15-20 seconds to the booting process of any game which is really annoying. If other DD services help me avoid that and offer competetive pricing than I have no objections using them.

Kalnos

Banned
vzPsB.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
vidal said:
A new boycott begins.
Eh more that most gamed I want from EA I don't care enough about unless I get it on super Steam sale.

Rebel Leader said:
would it work with saves from steam me2 saves?
Yes, my Origin copy of ME2 worked just fine with my ME1 save from Steam

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
How is this any different than what Steam/Valve does with their own games? I mean, I wouldn't expect Valve to put their games up on EA's Origin.

Valve doesnt put their game on every other service except gamersgate or impulse is the difference. This is done specifically to hurt Valve.

Omikron

szaromir said:
I am not as fond of Steam as many people here. Maybe it's only my PC, but Steam adds 15-20 seconds to the booting process of any game which is really annoying. If other DD services help me avoid that and offer competetive pricing than I have no objections using them.

Competitive pricing? I would have thought with all the sales etc, pricing would be on the bottom of complaints about Steam.

As for the start up time. Ho hum I guess. It does add time, but only really a valid complaint if you are switching and changing every 5 minutes.

Regional pricing is a legitimate complaint however, but not the fault of Steam/Valve.

Ploid 3.0

EA should partner up with Google to help people find their digital download game.. for free! If people want a particular EA game they will find it. Not being on steam will just reduce their impulse buys from steam backlog addicts.

coopolon

I think this is premature. Steam has too much penetration and Crysis 2/Alice don't have anywhere near the clout to pull the Steam diehards away. BF3 might, but I doubt it as well. Steam is just too well entrenched at this point.

We'll just have to see how many steam diehards there are vs. people who like Steam but will go to Origin if there's no other option.

Dante23

PatzCU said:
If I have to install Origin to play BF3 online, I might not even buy it. And this is coming from a guy who has owned, and played extensively, every BF since 1942.

I'm in the same boat.

venne

Omi said:
And then, do you see people re-buying all the games they own on steam over on another platform?

It's just a rumor, but I've heard from a mole deep inside Microsoft that the Windows team is working on a service pack that will allow any version of Windows, from XP up, to run multiple programs of the same type. They got the idea when people had to uninstall Internet Explorer to use Firefox or Chrome. It's cutting edge stuff if they can pull it off. Supposedly it's been delayed to a Q1 2013 release as it's more difficult than they expected.

Hold out hope! In a couple years you may be able to use Steam and Origin on the same PC!

Xamdou

Max said:
Is there something wrong with physical media lol

acting as if you don't own a disc drive

Buy Crysis 2 retail CD from any store you like (ie: Amazon). Register game cd key on origins allowing you to DL the digital version of Crysis 2 plus get unlimited future dl's and use of their service if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom