• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

Callibretto said:
I think FF XII, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted have better facial animation then HL2. but I agree, HL2 facial animation is really good

on another note. since it's now known that the voice acting is placeholder, do you think the current voice samples comes from GG staffs?

To be honest this game just killed any hype I had for FFXIII in game footage.

k79

Banned
andycapps said:
Gamersyde's footage was good, but obviously highly compressed (a 200 meg file at 720p for 4-6 min of footage is highly compressed). Still looked good though! I'm just saying that when I was watching it I was keeping in mind that the game likely looks a lot crisper in real life so was watching it through those glasses.

Those playfrance vids look better/sharper i must say, and they're also like ~200Mb for 5 min. 720p footage.

Zeliard

mb03o1.jpg

jh57ko.jpg

Sexy.

deepbrown

zoukka said:
The game looks mighty fine, but to call it one of the best out there artistically, is just insane. For me. IMO. And so on.
How isn't it one of the best artistically? It rivals an art-film's art. The colour choice and lighting is second to none. The art is at the very pinnacle of videogames.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Zeliard said:

Imo... that fire murders the CGI fire from the first target vid. And I remember people saying that was one of the things that couldn't be done.

Pretty cool how far games have come since then.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deepbrown said:
How isn't it one of the best artistically? It rivals an art-film's art. The colour choice and lighting is second to none. The art is at the very pinnacle of videogames.

'Art' is two things though - the core aesthetic, and the realisation of that aesthetic.

The latter isn't anything anyone can really argue about here, IMO. The realisation/execution of the aesthetic they're aiming for in KZ2 is absolute top-notch.

However, the aesthetic itself..whether one likes it or not..that is a subjective issue. Personally I love Killzone's aesthetic, I always have. Art direction, for me, has been a consistent strong point for Guerrilla. And now, realisation of those aesthetics has also become a strong point, clearly.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
recklessmind said:
Imo... that fire murders the CGI fire from the first target vid. And I remember people saying that was one of the things that couldn't be done.

Pretty cool how far games have come since then.

Agreed. Now, I'll be in cryosleep, set the timer to february 2009 plz.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
k79 said:

Delicious as always :D

Look at the effort they put into that scope. They don't just black out everything around the reticle like most games... you can see the knobs, there's weapon sway, and you can even see Sev working the bolt.

It's disgusting.

edit: A little bit of motion blur would make that even sweeter. :D

FirewalkR

Insane Metal said:
Is there any video that shows some cutscenes or something like that?

At Gamersyde, check the beginning of Welcome Part 1, the end of Welcome Part 4, the beginning of Convoy Part 1 and the end of Convoy Part 3.

Facism

i like how that big armoured guy is talking all big and tough and eventually goes 'AUUUUUU FHAACKKKKKK' like he's just popped his load too soon.

pr0cs

It sure is pretty, likely the nicest looking FPS to date.
The AI doesn't look that good though, the gametrailer video shows the player sneaking in behind and head shotting the one enemy and the other just sits around like nothing happened. And the voice acting looks pretty rough "victory or die, victory or die" Ad nauseam, in general the Helgast chatter seems a lot like some dude trying to talk through a garden hose.
This stuff can be fixed before going gold though so it looks like the game is shaping up to be pretty epic.

tiddles

TTP said:
Yeah. I actually love placing charges that way. To the point I'd like to release the detonator by pulling the controller towards me rather than pressing Circle. Kinda like when sucking souls in Folklore.

What makes you think you CAN'T do it that way? :D

FirewalkR

Has the Eurogamer preview been posted yet? It's quite positive!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=323948

Just the ending, but do read the whole article:

The overall feeling of what we've played so far is a carefully constructed solidity: Killzone 2's world may not constantly surprise you, but it's remarkably tangible, from the heavy guns, to the thick, alien wind roaring in your face, and the drunken staggers of dying enemies. Despite its conservative aims - rather than introduce new ideas, Guerrilla wants to perfect a few old ones - no other shooter plays quite like Killzone 2, and no other shooter looks quite like it, either. That's a risk in a market as saturated as this, but the one thing Guerrilla has never struggled with is drawing attention to itself. Now at last there are promising indications that it's got the game to go along with the hype.

andycapps

thuway said:
I really hope there is a level where you go through some dark tunnels and the blue glow off your suit illuminates the entire tunnel while creepy, ambient, claustorphobic noises make their way through.

FUCK GG, do it.

That would be nice, particularly if there were creepy helghast dogs chasing you and the Helghast yelling after you (with echoes obviously). Maybe you could get separated from your squad or the rest of your squad could get wiped out, and the Helghast were tracking you so you decided to hide in Would be nice, maybe for downloadable content or for a followup title?
Make it happen, Tempy!

Tom Penny

The A.I is going to seperate this game from getting B's or A's for a score. What they have show isn't too impressive. They are pretty much morons.

FirewalkR

Tom Penny said:
The A.I is going to seperate this game from getting B's or A's for a score. What they have show isn't too impressive. They are pretty much morons.

If you're talking about when they show up and jump out of cover over balconies and stuff, I think that's scripted. Actual A.I. controlled movement seems pretty nice. I watched only parts of the videos though.

Anyway, I got all the Gamersyde, IGN and PlayFrance videos. What else is there with good quality?

davygee

Banned
Here is a comparison that I have done based on the E3 2007 trailer and the footage released today.

As you can see, the images on the left are from E3 2007 and the right are today's images.

k2comparisontm2.jpg

The textures, lighting, shading and effects are all much much better.

thuway

davygee said:
Here is a comparison that I have done based on the E3 2007 trailer and the footage released today.

As you can see, the images on the left are from E3 2007 and the right are today's images.

k2comparisontm2.jpg

The textures, lighting, shading and effects are all much much better.

Goddamn your LTTP :lol .

Blimblim

The Inside Track
andycapps said:
I really don't see how anyone is complaining about the footage shown thus far. Gamersyde's footage was good, but obviously highly compressed (a 200 meg file at 720p for 4-6 min of footage is highly compressed). Still looked good though! I'm just saying that when I was watching it I was keeping in mind that the game likely looks a lot crisper in real life so was watching it through those glasses.
We encode towards a certain quality, and let the encoder itself decide on the bitrate necessary to achieve this quality. I spent a lot of time trying to find a good setting between looking very highly compressed (see GT) and being too big. It's actually the first time since I went to 720p that anyone had ever said anything about the quality of our videos ;)

zoukka

deepbrown said:

Haha, almost got me.

andycapps

Blimblim said:
We encode towards a certain quality, and let the encoder itself decide on the bitrate necessary to achieve this quality. I spent a lot of time trying to find a good setting between looking very highly compressed (see GT) and being too big. It's actually the first time since I went to 720p that anyone had ever said anything about the quality of our videos ;)

Oh no, it's looks great, man. I'm not saying anything in regards to that. Just saying that it's compressed and if not, these file sizes would be in the gigabyte range without it. Just saying it looks great being compressed like it is, much less the actual game running on an HD display. I appreciate what you guys do, for sure. :D

thuway

So lets get this out the way - confirmed fixes are:

- Mouth animations
- Voice overs
- Textures (God as much as I hate saying this, I hate how some random ass peice of wood fucks the entire aesthetic)

Anything else? How close to final are we? I fail to believe this game can look any better. Aside from textures, the only dream I could want is if those debris particles actually stained things / stood out just a bit more.

hulot

~Devil Trigger~ said:
That's rather demystifying.

deepbrown said:
I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Any review with less than 10 for graphics is a joke. I wouldn't doubt if some sites joke about an 11 for graphics.
My 360 always claimed my 100" screen and my PS3 got the 32". I'm going to have to switch things up for this game.

thuway

CitizenCope said:
Any review with less than 10 for graphics is a joke. I wouldn't doubt if some sites joke about an 11 for graphics.
My 360 always claimed my 100" screen and my PS3 got the 32". I'm going to have to switch things up for this game.
Even for Uncharted / MGS4 :-X?

deepbrown

zoukka said:
Haha, almost got me.

Hahaha...NO.

This sums it up best:

"Despite being painted in all manner of grey shades, Killzone 2 is artistically and graphically striking. Where some games might drown in this monotonous palette, Killzone 2 interrupts its art style with carefully chosen accent colours; the red dress of Shindler’s List is introduced to explosion sparks, rays of sunlight, and the Helghast’s glowing eyes: the original trailer’s visual style has been beautifully reproduced."

Mmmkay

So did anyone else win the SCEE competition to play Killzone 2 SP tonight and watch Aliens at Vue in Leicester Square? :p

harSon

Banned
Just watched the video and... What in the fuck! This generation is definitely going to finish out with Killzone 2 being one of the most impressive game technically, I don't see many other publishers allowing the time needed to sprout out such an engine that GG has. The graphics, attention to detail, realistic animations, and physics are simply amazing.

:lol What did I tell you guys about the IGN AU preview I knew that was bs.
Thank goodness they threw up their UK play through on the home page.

antiloop

Tom Penny said:

It easily matches that stupid A.I. in COD4 which should be good enough.

FirewalkR

I like how all the journalists sound like they are restraining themselves when commenting about the graphics, searching for elaborate prose to conceal their true feelings.

I also like the complete reversal on your stance, BruceLeeRoy. You lacked conviction not to watch the videos, and instead allowed Killzone 2's awesomeness to embrace you fully. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom