• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

got mine instore at Target in Canada. No problems

my only complaint is that I made a Huge Mistake picking Killzone as my 1st game. God, when will I learn?

vg260

Amazon's packaging for the PS4 was god awful. You do not stick it in a huge box put it at the bottom, them just some air-filled buble plastic on top. Idiots.

Cheech

Couldn't be more wrong. If anything I'm a PC master race gamer first and foremost. I also own a Wii U, a 3DS and a Vita. I do not currently own a PS4 or a PS3 for that matter

Yeah, but that doesn't excuse faulty reasoning. You can't simply take the number of broken PS4s and extrapolate based on people who report in specific places on the internet. Most people will simply return the PS4 for a new one or call Sony.

I kind of hope some of you guys take a Statistics class at some point in life. ;)

my only complaint is that I made a Huge Mistake picking Killzone as my 1st game. God, when will I learn?

Granted I have smaller children, but Knack has seen 8000% more play time than Killzone. Both games aren't great, but Killzone looks particularly bad against BF4, which is amazing.

Krakn3Dfx

I know 17 people who got PS4s from Amazon yesterday and none of them are having any real issues so far beyond typical launch stuff *knock on wood*.

I feel bad for people with issues, Amazon/Sony should have set aside an allocation of systems for potential issues just so the only answer for those people wasn't 'refund', and they could have gotten an exchange from Amazon, ideally a cross shipment situation. Also, Amazon's shipping on mine was crap, the PS4 was sitting in the bottom of the box w/ packing bubbles on top of it, wtf is point if you're not protecting the system box on all sides? I understand they had a ton of these things to ship out, but still.

I don't think we can make any determination of percentage failed at this point. If Amazon shipped out 50,000 units and 500 failed, that's still only 1% of the units overall, admittedly, there will be people with failed units that don't post reviews on their site when it happens, but people with failed units and problems are far more likely to post a review than people who fired up the system and started playing.

Hopefully Sony can take care of the people with issues quickly and by 2014 this is mostly a distant memory.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The craziest part about all of this, is that the PS4 hasn't even been released worldwide yet. Next will be Europe and the UK, after that, in December, the rest of the world. If this problem remains consistent, then we have a massive, massive, problem on our hands. If Sony have to 'hold back' or recall large batches of systems, they will literally lose customers to the Xbox One.

Imagine how many people have put the PS4 away for Christmas for their child, spouse, or sibling. Normal, everyday people who don't keep up to date with this shit. They're fooked. :/
You're posting this under the assumption that all or most people who had their PS4 fail on them would go and buy X1 instead.

Which is...
Looking at 360 stories, isn't probably going to happen.

If it's problematic, things will come out to the open soon enough.

Any maths trying to gauge the situation right now would be completely pointless and inaccurate. It's tales from the ass.

Speevy

Banned
I think there are going to be faulty PS4 consoles.

We won't know whether this is a rare or common thing for a couple of months, I think.

Since it's equally anecdotal, we should have a PS4 check-in thread.

Like "Post whether your PS4 is defective."

We could tally the results. We could probably get more than 500 responses.

Udham

It's funny how Sony fans are tabulating the exact number of complaints that they see and thinking that it's the actual number of broken systems.
Exactly. I think we will know the magnitude of the problem only after Christmas.

ironcreed

Banned
The bottom line is that there is just no real way to know, as it's only day 2. But the one thing that is certain is that this is most definitely a problem, and a lot of people are having it. Hopefully we will see things start to settle down in the coming days.

diggler41

Got mine from Amazon last night. Played for about 3 hours. No problem whatsoever. Had 2 friends who grabbed them from Amazon as well. Nothing so far.

Yeah, but that doesn't excuse faulty reasoning. You can't simply take the number of broken PS4s and extrapolate based on people who report in specific places on the internet. Most people will simply return the PS4 for a new one or call Sony.

I kind of hope some of you guys take a Statistics class at some point in life. ;)

Granted I have smaller children, but Knack has seen 8000% more play time than Killzone. Both games aren't great, but Killzone looks particularly bad against BF4, which is amazing.

Also, speaking of Knack. This is why I hate reviews. I've gotten some time with Knack at a friend's house who owns it. Knack is not as terrible as those reviews say at all. Maybe I just have a different view, but it isn't. My friend, who I could never see playing Knack, is in fact playing it and enjoying it. So, it isn't particularly deep, but that doesn't seem to be the point, and I guess some reviewers didn't see that.

Boss Man

Got mine yesterday with the one-sided air bubbles AND the box (at the top, with the bubbles) was almost completely open. No idea what's going on with UPS lately. The system hasn't given me any issues yet though.

What? Killzone has been brilliant to me so far. Campaign that isn't just another COD run through the halls, and MP that is fantastic (barely evem scratched the surface on it too). I haven't even gotten a chance to try BF4 yet because of how impressed I was. What don't you like?

Enectic

Banned
I know basing off Amazon reviews is not exactly the best metric to go off of but I do find the number of complaints troubling. For example

PS3 160GB Core:
933 customer reviews
642 5 star
89 1 star

Xbox 360 4GB:
919 customer reviews
558 5 star
110 1 star

Kindle Fire HDX (very recent product release)
489 customer reviews
262 5 star
37 1 star

PS4:
757 customer reviews
406 5 star
289 1 star

Again this could be nothing but it definitely is making me worry a little bit. My PS4 is on it's way from Amazon and should be here on Monday.

jmood88

I like how people are using amazon reviews as a bases for there being a huge faulty console problem. If there were loads of ps4's that were faulty this would be a bigger issue then it is.

There are a lot of broken consoles out there but with each new report people just brush it off as just part of the standard hardware faulty rate or "lol, that's just number 255, nothing to worry about".

Also, speaking of Knack. This is why I hate reviews. I've gotten some time with Knack at a friend's house who owns it. Knack is not as terrible as those reviews say at all. Maybe I just have a different view, but it isn't. My friend, who I could never see playing Knack, is in fact playing it and enjoying it. So, it isn't particularly deep, but that doesn't seem to be the point, and I guess some reviewers didn't see that.

Reviews are nothing more than opinions of someone.

Nier got bad reviews, and it's one of my favourite games this gen, so why should I give a shit what they think?

I love how faulty hardware is something we have to expect now. Its like the RROD got us use to this crap so now its ok with Sony having a similar problem.. because they are holy can do no wrong Sony. :/

peter-moore.jpg

Things break.

Theeze

Neo Member

Interesting...I was planning on picking up killzone since I haven't bought any games for it. I guess battlefield it is!

Torraz

Please explain the comment regarding Killzone. It's the only game I preordered for the console. Considering switching to Battlefield.

Is PS 4 battlefield going to have worldwide servers? Not sure if getting into the game two weeks later is going to be a massive disadvantage for Europeans as all the other players already have the best unlockables?

Borgia

Banned
There are a lot of broken consoles out there but with each new report people just brush it off as just part of the standard hardware faulty rate or "lol, that's just number 255, nothing to worry about".

There isn't "a lot" when you compare it to the amount of consoles actually shipped though, it's a small percentage. No ones brushing it off, I just don't think its as serious as say, RROD in which people are trying to compare it to.

I'm gonna pick up Knack this afternoon,
I'm really disappointed with Killzone. You get to have no fun for the first 40 minutes = this kills any prospect of 2nd replaythroughs.

vg260

If you got crappy packaging from Amazon, you should be able to leave feedback here:
http://www.amazon.com/packaging

However, mine doesn't show up there. I'm gonna email the feedback, because the way they packaged many of these was ridiculous.

Also, why to manufacturers cheap out console packaging. It' electronic equipment. How about putting some foam in there, not just cardboard.

What is sad about this is that due to the way people use social media, I don't trust a thing that comes out of it. You know that a good percentage of faulty consoles are either normal or being inflated by some strange Xbox zealot crew. And next week the same thing will happen around Xbox One. And the truth will be very hard to discern until we get a distance away from these launches.

The misinformation age.

Cheech

Yeah. I think the scores are probably fair, but only from the standpoint that this is really not a $60 game. As a $20-$30 downloadable game, it would have been perfect.

I got it for $40 through Amazon's B2G1, and it's borderline worth it because my kids enjoy it so much, and I'm having fun playing it with them.... but it is very borderline. There just simply isn't that much to it to justify the price. Mario this is not.

Please explain the comment regarding Killzone. It's the only game I preordered for the console. Considering switching to Battlefield.

Is PS 4 battlefield going to have worldwide servers? Not sure if getting into the game two weeks later is going to be a massive disadvantage for Europeans as all the other players already have the best unlockables?

I hate to just rip the crap out of Killzone because there are a lot of people on GAF who enjoy the series, but I really didn't care for it at all. It is just painfully generic with nothing to recommend it. BF4's servers are segregated by region (NA, SA, Europe, etc.), but you can join any specific region you want, or exclude specific regions if your ping is too bad.

Switching out Killzone for BF4 is a massive upgrade, just speaking for myself personally. I would much rather play CoD over Killzone as well.

vcc

There isn't "a lot" when you compare it to the amount of consoles actually shipped though, it's a small percentage. No ones brushing it off, I just don't think its as serious as say, RROD in which people are trying to compare it to.

RROD also was a post warranty issues. Within warranty it's just inconvenient. After warranty it becomes an issue of consumer protection. I'd give credit where credit is due and MS stepped up to bat to to fix/swap the 33% of consoles within 2 years and 50+% of consoles within 3 that died. Although they probably would have faced a class action suit to the same magnitude if they didn't extend the warranties.

jackdoe

I'll second Amazon's packaging being a joke. They were nice enough to stick fragile stickers on it though. And I cannot believe that people are even comparing this to RROD. It's not even remotely the same for reasons that other more sane posters have explained in this thread already.

labaronx

got mine from Amazon and its working fine

set it up got on psn downloaded patch and resogun all in about 15 minutes all seems functional

I will agree that amazon packed it very poorly... like my first vita that was broken when it arrived at launch and I had to wait another week for a replacement from them

sorry to everyone who has a broken one

I know basing off Amazon reviews is not exactly the best metric to go off of but I do find the number of complaints troubling. For example

PS3 160GB Core:
933 customer reviews
642 5 star
89 1 star

Xbox 360 4GB:
919 customer reviews
558 5 star
110 1 star

489 customer reviews
262 5 star
37 1 star

PS4:
757 customer reviews
406 5 star
289 1 star

Again this could be nothing but it definitely is making me worry a little bit. My PS4 is on it's way from Amazon and should be here on Monday.

If you know those aren't the best metric, then why post them? You cannot base much at all off customer reviews on a website. If that is making you worry, then you should be worried about the Xbox One reviews on Best Buy. System isn't even out yet but the reviews on Best Buy.com currently are:

Does this worry you too? See, take any website customer reviews with a grain of salt.

5 Stars - 60

4 Stars - 8

3 Stars - 3

2 Stars - 5

1 Star - 23

RedAssedApe

Banned
Amazon/Sony should have set aside an allocation of systems for potential issues just so the only answer for those people wasn't 'refund', and they could have gotten an exchange from Amazon, ideally a cross shipment situation.

Need to take a page out of Apple's book. People tend to think that just because it doesn't get reported, that there are no hardware defects/failures. But what really is happening is that they are keeping stock on hand for warranty and exchange purposes for this very reason. Customers end up happy with a no questions asked replacement and instead of posting a negative review they gush about Apple customer support.

Got mine from amazon and so far it works. I did notice that the package was beat up and it wasn't packed with any protection - just the box in a box

LX_Theo

Banned

PS3 160GB Core:
933 customer reviews
642 5 star
89 1 star

Xbox 360 4GB:
919 customer reviews
558 5 star
110 1 star

489 customer reviews
262 5 star
37 1 star

PS4:
757 customer reviews
406 5 star
289 1 star

Feel free to try that comparison again when the PS4 is NOT in its stages of infancy. Or compare the number for a few days after 360 and PS3 original launch... Not a reasonable comparison at this point by ANY viewpoint.

careksims

When the UPS guy came over and dropped the box. Oh man the box it was delivered in was beaten up and the edges of the box were already torn apart! I feared my PS4 would be messed up. Amazon really packed it bad. The PS4 in the box was at the bottom.

After setting it up and all, the PS4 booted up like a champ. Even did the Update via wi-fi. There were hiccups because of PSN though. Played the damn thing all night long.

labaronx

What is sad about this is that due to the way people use social media, I don't trust a thing that comes out of it. You know that a good percentage of faulty consoles are either normal or being inflated by some strange Xbox zealot crew. And next week the same thing will happen around Xbox One. And the truth will be very hard to discern until we get a distance away from these launches.

The misinformation age.

And next week the same thing will happen around Xbox One.

I expect it to be worse next weekend because the Xbox one is useless without the update that many people don't know about.... here's hoping Amazon packages my xbone a little better than my ps4

Enectic

Banned
If you know those aren't the best metric, then why post them? You cannot base much at all off customer reviews on a website. If that is making you worry, then you should be worried about the Xbox One reviews on Best Buy. System isn't even out yet but the reviews on Best Buy.com currently are:

Does this worry you too? See, take any website customer reviews with a grain of salt.

5 Stars - 60

4 Stars - 8

3 Stars - 3

2 Stars - 5

1 Star - 23

Because this is a discussion about defective PS4 units from Amazon and not defective Xbox One/PS4 units from Best Buy. I'm also getting a One from Amazon and I'll be voicing the exact same concerns if we see the same thing happening.

turnbuckle

If the person reviewing actually bought the product using their amazon account, then the review will have "amazon verified purchase" next to it, so it's pretty easy to tell who is making shit up and who bought the system.

Not really. There are plenty of reasons to post a review to Amazon even if your purchase wasn't there. If I bought something from Best Buy or Wal-Mart or some other place I'd still post my review at Amazon simply because I find it to be a good aggregator of reviews. I don't want to have an account at Walmart.com or Bestbuy.com or randomstore.com.

Of course, non-verified reviewers are more likely to be BS but that doesn't mean they all are.

Amazon's packaging for the PS4 was god awful. You do not stick it in a huge box put it at the bottom, them just some air-filled buble plastic on top. Idiots.

Yeah, I thought that was odd as well. I would have at least expected some kind of cushioned cardboard/foam liner that comes with lots of other high-end electronics purchases. I haven't even looked at our PS4 yet but I'm gonna assume there weren't any physical defects. The box ours came in looked perfect and our UPS driver has always been awesome. But the packaging itself is, like you said, godawful.

demigod

I got mine from Amazon so i'm calling FUD on this. Mine did have the air bags inside. The UPS man just put mine down, he doesn't throw them here, lol.

Pain

Banned

PS3 160GB Core:
933 customer reviews
642 5 star
89 1 star

Xbox 360 4GB:
919 customer reviews
558 5 star
110 1 star

489 customer reviews
262 5 star
37 1 star

PS4:
757 customer reviews
406 5 star
289 1 star

Horrible comparison. Try comparing the launch models of PS3 and 360.

I went ahead and wrote a positive review about the PS4. I have had a great experience so far and I didn't want that kind of thing to get marred by fanboy negativity. I trust that some people have had negative issues and they should talk about that as it eventually improves the experience for everyone but no sense in letting childish fanboys flood something as innocent as a product review page.

Vizzeh

Banned
As said before it will take weeks for all the postive reviews to go up, there is likely thousands and thousands shipped by amazon, and only the broken console guys rush to review.

So in this case assume There are Total Shipped consoles = Positive vs Negative comments (positive comments can be ignored)

turnbuckle

I went ahead and wrote a positive review about the PS4. I have had a great experience so far and I didn't want that kind of thing to get marred by fanboy negativity. I trust that some people have had negative issues and they should talk about that as it eventually improves the experience for everyone but no sense in letting childish fanboys flood something as innocent as a product review page.

Well, that goes in both directions. Senseless fanboys giving 5 stars or people trying to re-sell a system granting it 5 stars.

I'm gonna give our system a few weeks before reviewing, but if it works I'll be giving it a 5 star review. The specs are great, the design (defects aside) is great, and I fully expect myself to be primarily a PS4/PC gamer this generation. But I won't be a fanboy in either direction; I just want good systems and good games.

As said before it will take weeks for all the postive reviews to go up, there is likely thousands and thousands shipped by amazon, and only the broken console guys rush to review.

So in this case assume There are Total Shipped consoles = Positive vs Negative comments (positive comments can be ignored)

Also, it's easier to quickly find a reason to grant 1 star than to grant 5 stars. For non-enthusiasts, the jury may still be out for awhile whether or not they love the product. This may delay a review they'd post or cause them to not write one at all. I'm not in a rush to score the system until I get some use out of it, but if mine was defective I'd have already posted a 1 star rating.

In other words, if i had rated my 360 when I first got it I would have scored it 5 stars. It was maybe a month or so after I bought it that my first RROD occurred. It's been so long that I really can't remember exactly how long it took for each RROD to pop up for us, but I do know the second time it happened for me it was less than a week from receiving it.

Speevy

Banned
The best thing I can say is that if this is a big issue, at least it is immediately apparent.

There aren't people who use their console and then it breaks.

Enectic

Banned
Welp, speak of the devil. Just got a knock on the door and it turns out my launch bundle arrived early. Packaging seemed not so great (could of used a bit more packing material and/or actually wrap the product). Actual PS4 box looks perfect.

CAM00211_zpsceb3bf37.jpg

CAM00212_zpsdd2eb9ee.jpg

Top Bottom