• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

I still have mine in a shipping now state for 2 days from them. Im not the only one they messed up big time with this launch, anyone with an xbone preorder should try to find a retail store that is still selling preorders if you can.

Shady859

I wonder if those "faulty HDMI" were part of the Amazon complaints. After receiving my console yesterday afternoon I was expecting something trashy but it honestly looked like those 3 for $5 I bought off Ebay long ago and still work. Used my Redmere Monoprice cables like I use on my important electronics. I still believe alot of non-verified reviews on this and the Xbone will be fanboys hating on the other console. Remember that TRU Xbone thing on Youtube....

My system arrived working but honestly packaging left something to be desired. People don't think when they pack shipping boxes. Always use a huge ass box the throw item at bottom, which will take 90% the damgage in shipping, and fill the open area above with bubble wrap to ensure the item stays firmly in the damage area. I am a former shipping manager in a warehouse that routinely shipped fragile items and this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. :|

Replicant

Bummer. You'd think they had some universal standards?

No they don't. Take an example Steelbooks, which are small, rare, and easily crushed items.

Amazon UK + FR + DE + ES:
They put the Steelbook in this individual cardboard container which ensures that the Steelbook can't move around much. THEN they put those individual cardboards inside a bigger box, ensuring they can't get crushed easily.

Amazon JP:
They would put the Steelbook together, taped it to a large cardboard, wrapped it with plastic, stick the cardboard to the bottom of a large box. If you're lucky they'll throw some proper bubblewrapper on the top but not always the case.

Amazon US:
They would just throw the Steelbook inside a large box and throw this 'fun bags' along with it as padding. No, these are not proper bubblewrapper. These are small-sized plastic-like pillows which are completely useless at handling impact. They are not even proper beans.

Amazon CA:
Placed the Steelbook inside a padded bag and send it away. Just pray it doesn't get crushed by larger item during shipping.

Tobor

Amazon. Arrived on time and works perfectly. I haven't had a chance to post a 5 star review yet, but I will.

SpeedNut

Other than having 2 layers of sticker (one clear one and one with blue PS logo tape on top of it) that I wasn't expecting when I got the box, everything showed up on time and has been working. I think Amazon's shipping model to not break street yet get people their consoles on X date just didn't work this time around for everyone.

People keep saying that but this seems more widespread to me. We go through new device launches all the time and it's super rare to see THIS many complaints so quickly.

We will have to wait and see. Look at GAF for instance how many do you think from here preordered a PS4? Probably a few thousand and from those there are about 20+ reported faulty consoles and I believe most who got a faulty console would talk about it, especially on hardcore gaming forums. So if we say there were 2000 sold to members and 20 were broken that is 1%. Of course this is just speculations and the truth will be out there sooner or later. Gamers are vocal on the internet especially when they have waited moths to get their hands on a new console and it would not surprise me if many of the reported ps4 on various sites comes from the same persons going into rage mode (which I probably would to) and post everywhere about my misfortune and anger.

ron_bato

No problem with Amazon PS4. Manufactured in Yantai Sepetember 2013, from VA Amazon warehouse.

Just want to add my update as well, September 2013 (not sure where it was manufactured) ordered via amazon and it's working fine.

I live in the Philippines so I was freaking out a little when I learned about the issues and learned it was a september manufactured console (the other thread had a lot of broken units manufactured in september). My aunt is bringing home the ps4 with her when she goes home here for the holidays. I had my cousin's fiancee test it out and everything is working fine (also note that I didn't have them install firmware 1.5 just to be sure). I feel gutted for everyone who's having problems, I hope everything works out fine for everybody.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People keep saying that but this seems more widespread to me. We go through new device launches all the time and it's super rare to see THIS many complaints so quickly.

I personally believe this is more widespread than what we'd consider totally normal. That's a shame and Sony will have to fix it.

However, for me, I'd much rather units arrive DOA than work fine for 6 months and then go DOA. Odds are 95% of these BLOD examples are the same error in manufacturing and at least we can quickly assess failure rates. It doesn't, at least in the early going, appear to be heat related or stress related. That's why I created the Q&A thread-- I wanted to see how much data we could collect and how fast.

That's just me, though.

Fox Mulder

While I doubt many console failures can be attributed to it, Amazon really did a lousy job packing the console. Nothing I enjoy more than opening the box to see those big air bag bubbles on one side of the box while the other is offered not even a minimum of protection.

but the ps4 box itself should offer sufficient protection for all the potential abuse it may see from the factory to your door. Retail consoles are delivered to stores in boxes without bubble wrap.

Bikola

Well perhaps you should get off the internet. Maybe then it won't seem so widespread. it's 2013 for godsakes, a cat playing a piano gets blown up so easily.

HariKari

Amazon packed mine like a bunch of morons. They put a ton of the airbags on top of it, and none underneath. No peanuts or anything. So anytime this was dropped on the ground, the PS4 box took all the force. I don't know if someone was in a shitty mood or what, but that's not how you pack things.

Thankfully neither the HDX nor the PS4 was 'damaged' and they work. Box wasn't pristine. If mine had to travel between DCs it probably would have gotten broken.

fade_

I personally believe this is more widespread than what we'd consider totally normal. That's a shame and Sony will have to fix it.

However, for me, I'd much rather units arrive DOA than work fine for 6 months and then go DOA. Odds are 95% of these BLOD examples are the same error in manufacturing and at least we can quickly assess failure rates. It doesn't, at least in the early going, appear to be heat related or stress related. That's why I created the Q&A thread-- I wanted to see how much data we could collect and how fast.

That's just me, though.

That's what I was saying in the other thread. Would much rather have my PS4 fail now then after the warranty. That being said I'm not going to baby my system hoping it doesn't break. It's been on standby for hours and the only probs I have seems to be PSN related. Also noticed my mic recording skips when stuff is installing in the background.

Revoh

I bought mine from Amazon. I'm importing from the US. If my console is DoA I'm pretty much fucked. 400$ plus taxes down the drain

This is literally like 1%. I don't know where these crazy 10% figures are coming from tbh. 200 out of possibly a million sales? Yeah, I'm sure it well under and will remain under 10%.

Mudo

I am another with the always pulsing blue light bricked PS4 from Amazon. never could get Sony to answer last night and Amazon said basically alI I could do Is get a refund. now I need to figure out where/how to get another.

I do believe this is going to end up being a fairly small % of the total units shipped but I am still saddened that I am 1 of the 0.4%

Any thoughts on where I might be able to find a PS4 in the next few days? I want to play all my games sitting here, badly :/

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My Amazon PS4 is fine.

That said, they put about 6 feet of large bubble wrap in that box, bot only figured to put it on one side of the console which just so happened to be the top part of the box. So my console sat at the bottom of the box with no protection between it and whatever floor they threw it around on. Genuinely surprised it functions but whatever.

Same here. The packaging was horrendous.

They should be ashamed.

Hari Seldon

I wonder if those "faulty HDMI" were part of the Amazon complaints. After receiving my console yesterday afternoon I was expecting something trashy but it honestly looked like those 3 for $5 I bought off Ebay long ago and still work. Used my Redmere Monoprice cables like I use on my important electronics. I still believe alot of non-verified reviews on this and the Xbone will be fanboys hating on the other console. Remember that TRU Xbone thing on Youtube....

My system arrived working but honestly packaging left something to be desired. People don't think when they pack shipping boxes. Always use a huge ass box the throw item at bottom, which will take 90% the damgage in shipping, and fill the open area above with bubble wrap to ensure the item stays firmly in the damage area. I am a former shipping manager in a warehouse that routinely shipped fragile items and this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. :|

Yeah that shit is ridiculous. My PS4 box was dinged up from amazon, but luckily the console is working fine.

Windforce

Well now I'm super scared. :(

Bought mine from Amazon (midnight of the 15th 'surprise' batch) and it's coming on the 22nd. Now gotta pray it will work.... oh my.

I bought mine from Amazon. I'm importing from the US. If my console is DoA I'm pretty much fucked. 400$ plus taxes down the drain

Same here.

My Amazon PS4 is fine.

That said, they put about 6 feet of large bubble wrap in that box, bot only figured to put it on one side of the console which just so happened to be the top part of the box. So my console sat at the bottom of the box with no protection between it and whatever floor they threw it around on. Genuinely surprised it functions but whatever.

I had the exact same thought when I opened the box at work. Bubble wrap only on the top, etc. I know for a fact a lot of those UPS guys are not very kind to those boxes.

That's just me, though.

You make a good point. The real concern would come if people's consoles begin dying after days and weeks of use.

Shady859

I am another with the always pulsing blue light bricked PS4 from Amazon. never could get Sony to answer last night and Amazon said basically a I could do I get a refund. now I need to fugues out where/how to get another.

I do believe this is going to end up being a fairly small % of the total units shipped but I still saddened that I am 1 of the 0.4%

Any thoughts on where I might be able to find a PS4 in the next few days? I want to play all my games sitting here, badly :/

Sucks man, hate to hear this! Your weekend is ruined or mine totally woulda been. :(

Gamestop supposedly is only holding pre-orders for 48 hours so i'd start doing the work right now and finding out if they have some that will be going up for sale. I'd go in person and tell them your story, if they are decent at all they will give you dibs or info on exactly when they are for sale to the public.

Shipping/packaging is just another reason (besides owning a 360 since launch RRODpalooza) that I bought the 3 year Squaretrade warranty.

RPGCrazied

If/when I get the chance to get the console, you can bet I'll get it in a store somewhere, open it to make sure its in good condition, then take it home. If it has any problems it goes back to the store. Simple. I won't buy big pricey items online. Games/DVD's small stuff like that is fine.

If/when I get the chance to get the console, you can bet I'll get it in a store somewhere, open it to make sure its in good condition, then take it home. If it has any problems it goes back to the store. Simple. I won't buy big pricey items online. Games/DVD's small stuff like that is fine.

How the hell could you tell if there was an internal problem by opening it in the store?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just adding my name to the list of healthy PS4s that came from amazon at the bottom of a box with 6 feet of bubble wrap on top and dropped from waist height on my porch by the UPS driver who didn't even knock.

Zoator

I actually have the opposite mentality, simply because Amazon has by far the best customer service of any retailer I've ever interacted with. If your item is defective, you can be sure that you can return it at no cost to you, and get a refund or a replacement overnighted to you (provided they're available) with no questions asked.

OSHAN

Amazon PS4 here. Working no issues.

Packaging was a mess though. PS4 on bottom of box with some large bubble/air packs on top. That's it.

Midas

Just ship it back? I will do that if it's broken, it will probably be like 30 € or so for shipping but it's better to get some back rather than nothing.

mjAUT

Same for me, except I paid $ 500 including shipping and customs for delivery to Austria. It's still € 6 cheaper than buying it here, tho.

Any idea if Sony Europe would fix a console bought in the US?

DigitalFirefly

Neo Member
Mine was from Amazon and working (so far). It was at the bottom of a large box and all the air bubble packing material was at the top. There was also a hole in the side of the Amazon box (not the PS4 box).

Bikola

And yet you made the post linking to that video knowing full well what it is but yet saying that's how Amazon does it. There's a point you're trying to make...

Please, I dont wanna get into an argument over a video that was meant as a joke. Surely with all these defective consoles coming from amazon, the problem has to be something at their end.

BrianReturns

Neo Member
Add me to the list of Amazon orders that arrived DOA. Got the pulsing blue light when powered on. No video appears, and it isn't possible to enter safe mode. God this is a pain in the ass. Now to decide whether to return to Amazon or Sony... any thoughts?

Top Bottom