• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman 5 viral marketing hints at E3 reveal [Hitman: Absolution]

I've never been so starved for a sequel...ever. Fuck, I need this game yesterday!

There are dozens of things I want fixed/added in the sequel, but by far the biggest thing that needs attention is the AI.

-Just think about what would probably happen in real life and make it happen in the game. If you casually enter a restricted area, you should be told to leave, threatened, maybe even physically roughed up a bit, but the guns shouldn't immediately come out once you cross an invisible boundary.
-If a security guard or police officer sees you brandishing a weapon, they should tell you to freeze and drop it, if you run, they chase and try to subdue you. Just pulling out a gun and shooting is unrealistic, unfun, and completely unnecessary.
-If you're in disguise,you should be able to actually blend in. In past games, guards could hover over bodies, sound alarms, even drag dead bodies and hide them out of sight, all without raising suspicion. If you try and act out your disguise, it will most likely end in an alarm.
-Use your money mid level towards various ends. Purchase less conspicuous clothing and props (umbrellas, newpapers, containers for bombs or guns, etc.), bribe people for information,services, or access (like paying the prostitute in Contracts to distract a guard), things like that.
-Be able to realistically interact with the AI. Once in disguise, communicate with your fellow guards/officers. Make small talk with the guards to gain their trust, be able to check in to blend in better or manipulate their positions (kill someone report the body, backup arrives, leaving routes unguarded and guards vulnerable to attack).
-Finally, establish a certain relationship between police/security and criminal thugs. In some levels, the police could be very upstanding and law abiding, in which case they might interfere with criminal activities, but if a cop goes lone wolf into a situation with a bunch of thugs, he might get killed. On the other end of the spectrum, the police may be corrupt and in bed with the criminals, making them near inseparable, though money disputes may damper their relationships. In other cases, the non-cop guards are more legitimate and just serve as body guards to a corrupt target, they could possibly aid or call the police if they have a hard time. 47 should have a way of discovering these types of relationships and use them to his advantage.

Better not fuck this up, Io! I'm only a few missions into Blood Money, but Silent Assassin is my favorite Stealth game, ever. Only Tenchu 1 comes close.

-BLITZ-

Anyone have noticed recently what's going on at hitmanforum
I didn't saw a new topic open about this, but if is old let me know.
http://www.hitmanforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53301&st=920

5534760462_6d5dbd3b0d_b.jpg

Zenith

Banned
the 3rd image.

jKDu6.jpg

all 3 images have included references to Toronto's CN tower.

this on contained a url in the metadata leading to the image posted above.

Reveal coming Tuesday, June 7th, 2011

IO mod confirmed that's everything you're going to learn from the ARG.

alr1ghtstart said:
you know you want it
hitman5dudebro_ynz9.jpg

Fantastic.

Zenith said:
the 3rd image.

jKDu6.jpg

all 3 images have included references to Toronto's CN tower.

this on contained a url in the metadata leading to the image posted above.

Reveal coming Tuesday, June 7th, 2011

IO mod confirmed that's everything you're going to learn from the ARG.

Man, a mission in Toronto or just... Canada would be cool. I still remember that one mission in Syphon Filter: Omega Strain or whatever that was forced by the Toronto government to change the location and identity of the French terrorists.

Woffls

Okay so this is definitely happening now? It looks like 'Nick' from IO is either teasing them or stringing them along for a colossal beatdown of a hoax. I'm assuming it's the former, and we have under 3 months to wait :D Gonna' be mega hyped for this by E3.

CN Tower, eh? Interesting...

I wonder if we'll be going in or sniping our target through the revolving restaurant window.

Or maybe there'll be the option of doing it either way?

Dammit IO stop teasing us!

Fletcher

I haven't played Blood Money in a long time and am thinking about going and picking it up again. Does it hold up well on 360?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Fletcher said:
I haven't played Blood Money in a long time and am thinking about going and picking it up again. Does it hold up well on 360?

yes, very much so. The frame rate and controls are solid, and the game had a reasonable Amount of AA so you have a clear image. I should know because it was my very first game I got my full 1000 achievements I spent on a game. It's great to look back on it now because that game is in the top list of worth recommendations to play on the 360's library. I’m going to double dip (unless 360 controller support on PC but KAL2 had this so it should) for both versions 360/PC because of how great it feels to play with a controller with this style of game. I just can't wait to play hitman with the updated tech IO has made post dog days.

Woffls

Fletcher said:
Yup, there's some issues with it displaying on 50hz (or 60hz) screens or something, though. Might want to do some research on that first or buy the PC version. I can't remember exactly what the problem was, and it might have been a PAL thing anyway.

Fletcher said:
I playing it now, for the first time. The visuals are pretty bad and the menus are clunky, but the gameplay itself is pretty awesome.

Rebel Leader said:
I read that as shitman... ha
That was part of the joke, I believe.

Continuing my Blood Money playthrough, man I'm having problems with the Mardi Gras level. It's cool but I keep alerting people, not sure why. I'm not at the frustration point where I'm looking it solutions yet, but I'm getting there.

Pachimari

IO Interactive has confirmed, that Hitman 5 will be revealed at E3 this summer.

The first CGI image from the game as well:

ss_preview_5534760462_6d5dbd3b0d_b.jpg.jpg

And it might take place in Canada, as four images from the ARG has refered the CN Tower in Toronto.

PS: We might split this into a new thread, I just wasn't sure if another one were already made, as I just came home from work.

OBS! Very(!) old news... =;(

Sh1ner

Can't wait, I love the series. I am already over the look of code 47 as well. I hope they will try something different with the story this time. Poor 47 is always getting screwed by some agency or some copy contractor. Hopefully this time it doesn't lead all the way to the white house :|

2 and 3 had brilliant endings. Preferred 2 though.

RedSwirl

Secks4Food said:
I've never been so starved for a sequel...ever. Fuck, I need this game yesterday!

There are dozens of things I want fixed/added in the sequel, but by far the biggest thing that needs attention is the AI.

-Just think about what would probably happen in real life and make it happen in the game. If you casually enter a restricted area, you should be told to leave, threatened, maybe even physically roughed up a bit, but the guns shouldn't immediately come out once you cross an invisible boundary.
-If a security guard or police officer sees you brandishing a weapon, they should tell you to freeze and drop it, if you run, they chase and try to subdue you. Just pulling out a gun and shooting is unrealistic, unfun, and completely unnecessary.
-If you're in disguise,you should be able to actually blend in. In past games, guards could hover over bodies, sound alarms, even drag dead bodies and hide them out of sight, all without raising suspicion. If you try and act out your disguise, it will most likely end in an alarm.
-Use your money mid level towards various ends. Purchase less conspicuous clothing and props (umbrellas, newpapers, containers for bombs or guns, etc.), bribe people for information,services, or access (like paying the prostitute in Contracts to distract a guard), things like that.
-Be able to realistically interact with the AI. Once in disguise, communicate with your fellow guards/officers. Make small talk with the guards to gain their trust, be able to check in to blend in better or manipulate their positions (kill someone report the body, backup arrives, leaving routes unguarded and guards vulnerable to attack).
-Finally, establish a certain relationship between police/security and criminal thugs. In some levels, the police could be very upstanding and law abiding, in which case they might interfere with criminal activities, but if a cop goes lone wolf into a situation with a bunch of thugs, he might get killed. On the other end of the spectrum, the police may be corrupt and in bed with the criminals, making them near inseparable, though money disputes may damper their relationships. In other cases, the non-cop guards are more legitimate and just serve as body guards to a corrupt target, they could possibly aid or call the police if they have a hard time. 47 should have a way of discovering these types of relationships and use them to his advantage.

I agree that the next step is that you should be able to talk to people in Hitman in order to gain information.

I've personally had this really out-of-whack idea for a next Hitman game that will probably never get made, but here goes:

-I'd make each mission take place in a sandbox about the size of GTA III or, a few city blocks in GTA IV - big enough to give the feel of a chunk of an actual city.

-You arrive several days in advance of your target. All you have at first is a picture of the target, maybe a name, and the day they will be in that city. They may be at a public event, or a private one locked deep in an office building or something.

-You first have to actually investigate your target: talk to people, gain access to places with restricted information. That could mean stealing stuff, hacking computers, etc. Find out where and when they will arrive exactly, find out about their security, etc.

-When you know the time and place you now have to set stuff up. Buy whatever weapons/tools you may need either locally, by order, or procure on-site. That could be anything from weapons to power tools, grappling hooks, disguises, whatever.

-My thinking is: say you find out your target is at a secret meeting in an office building. You order a rappel and a proper disguise and come off the roof down the side of the building - if you decide not to snipe them from a building on the other side of the map.

-That could just be on the most hardcore difficulty. Switch it to casual and fastforward all the way to the time of arrival and turn it into a normal Hitman mission.

spicy cho

I think I'm going to ignore my inner graphics whore and play silent assassin again, I've played through BM like 3 times now.

soultron

Banned
Io/Eidos Toronto. Make it happen, dudes.

I will help make Freedom Fighters 2 if it means I don't have to relocate. And if EA sells the license.

Wasn't it rumoured that Eidos was eyeing Toronto to open up another dev studio there?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit a new Hitman!!! Fuck yeah! But it's set in Canada? That seems a little weird, i barely know anything about Canada except that it doesn't strike me like the kind of place where people would be inclined to hire Hitmans unlike the US.

Gexecuter said:
Holy shit a new Hitman!!! Fuck yeah! But it's set in Canada? That seems a little weird, i barely know anything about Canada except that it doesn't strike me like the kind of place where people would be inclined to hire Hitmans unlike the US.

it's most likely just one locale.

Zenith

Banned
Gexecuter said:

most likely just one assignment. Like the one set in the super-tall building in Kuala Lumpur. Hitman games always go all over the world.

Gexecuter said:
Haha there are criminals in Canada too, just ask Boogie.

Kabouter

I've probably finished every mission in Blood Money (with the exception of the Riverboat one and the tutorial) ten times, can't wait for this. Loved previous iterations too, but Blood Money took it to a new level. They should improve on that. Keep the formula, improve the AI somewhat, but don't change too much. Mostly, I just want new levels, new puzzles to figure out. Don't include more action, don't make levels so large that you're playing Assassin's Creed rather than Hitman.

Kabouter said:
I've probably finished every mission in Blood Money (with the exception of the Riverboat one and the tutorial) ten times, can't wait for this. Loved previous iterations too, but Blood Money took it to a new level. They should improve on that. Keep the formula, improve the AI somewhat, but don't change too much. Mostly, I just want new levels, new puzzles to figure out. Don't include more action, don't make levels so large that you're playing Assassin's Creed rather than Hitman.
Same here. If they stuck to the same exact formula (a formula that no one else does, by the way) and just freshens up the graphics and the AI like you said, I'd be extremely happy.

derFeef

IO has an impossible task to do - make a Hitman game that 'everyone likes' and also make that game so it does not piss off the hardcore fans.

ArjanN

derFeef said:
IO has an impossible task to do - make a Hitman game that 'everyone likes' and also make that game so it does not piss off the hardcore fans.

IMO they already did that with Blood Money.

JambiBum

derFeef said:
Fuck that. Get that everyone likes bullshit out of here. Every game doesn't have to cater to every person.

derFeef

JambiBum said:
Fuck that. Get that everyone likes bullshit out of here. Every game doesn't have to cater to every person.
I personally would welcome a Bloodmoney 2, so to say. But we have seen more streamline-reboots, than stick to the roots re-iterations.

pakkit

Banned
Kane and Lynch 2 wasn't bad at all. It wasn't dumbed down either, it has a very specific vision and it stayed true to it. It was simple, frenetic, and pretty terrifying.

That said, I'm excited to see them return to their original franchise.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, hopefully there's only level set in Canada because i would love to fly around all over the world doing hits like in silent assassin, a level set in Brazil or Israel would be pretty sweet.

Also guys you know what's crazy, Hitman was Eidos second biggest franchise before the merger with Square with 8 million copies sold, surpassing by a landslide other IO franchises. I think it's pretty weird that Eidos didn't release another game in the series for so long considering it's so popular, someone should ask IO or Square what the fuck took so long.

Fox Mulder

Gexecuter said:
Also guys you know what's crazy, Hitman was Eidos second biggest franchise before the merger with Square with 8 million copies sold, surpassing by a landslide other IO franchises. I think it's pretty weird that Eidos didn't release another game in the series for so long considering it's so popular, someone should ask IO or Square what the fuck took so long.

yeah it's puzzling. I'm all for a new hitman, but I'm skeptical of IO after they blew years on that K&L bullshit.

spanks

Glad to see that horrible mock-up confirmed as a fake.

I think there's good reason to be optimistic. The reason they've taken so long is that they've been working on a new engine. All previous Hitman games were built on the same decade-old engine, so hopefully this engine will allow for even more ambitious gameplay (Open-world? Online co-op? More detailed AI routines?)
I also like to see Kane and Lynch as more of a side project, and a chance for IO to experiment with new ideas, such as various improvements to the action-oriented aspects of Hitman, or the addition of online multiplayer (with which K&L was their first foray).

obonicus

DennisK4 said:
Kane and Lynch are terrible. Both games suck incredible amounts of ass.

Kane and Lynch 1 isn't bad because it's dumbed down, though. It's about as complex as Freedom Fighters. Actually, it's slightly more, because you actually have to keep track of your dumb-shit teammates.

It will never cease to amaze me how even though the prior successful games are complex, developers still have this insane unsubstantiated belief that dumbing down games will bring in a bigger audience.

Blood Money was dumbed down from the previous Hitman games, and that just made it the best one. All of a sudden everything wasn't so fiddly and such a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom