• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 |OT| It Stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Watching the advance screening during the week, the first episode is a little bumpy, the cast getting their rhythm and working out the kinks, but by the later episodes they'd flying on all cylinders just like Mike and Joel did (and feel like a good mix of both Mike and Joel's types of humour). It was nice to finally find the source of that ridiculous faces gif.

Still not big on Servo's voice, but then anyone but Kevin coming out of him sounds strange to me (and no Josh doesn't count, he isn't Servo in any real capacity), but it's not bad. In time, it'll grow on me. Crow is fantastic.

There is nothing wrong with the first episode. It just suffers from what internet folk hate the most. Change.

Also, Joel > Mike.

Also, I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE.
Agreed on Joel vs. Mike. Disagreed on Tom Servo's new voice. And disagreed with gabbo that Josh doesn't count, he totally does!

I've only ever seen 3 episodes of this show (And my girlfriend has seen 0). Can I hop right into this new season? Cast changeover has me thinking yes. Also... do I need to watch this new season in order?

Sorry for dumb questions!

Fury451

Banned
I've only ever seen 3 episodes of this show (And my girlfriend has seen 0). Can I hop right into this new season? Cast changeover has me thinking yes. Also... do I need to watch this new season in order?

It's effectively a reboot, but the show doesn't really have any continuity anyway (aside from the old Sci-Fi Channel episodes where a "plot" was mandated but later dropped anyway), so you can hop in yes. I would say watch this season in order though, it's more convenient that way, but not required.

It's effectively a reboot, but the show doesn't really have any continuity anyway (aside from the old Sci-Fi Channel episodes where a "plot" was mandated but later dropped anyway), so you can hop in yes. I would say watch this season in order though, it's more convenient that way, but not required.

Thanks! I've really enjoyed what I've seen but it's always looked so exhausting to get into. There's just so much stuff! Just didn't know what/if there was any continuity between the non-riffing parts!

opoth

Banned

You don't have to watch it in order, but I would highly recommend it. You will miss callbacks to riffs and concepts earlier in the season if you skip around, those aren't dealbreakers but you'll be missing out on some jokes.

Krowley

I'm very early in episode 2 and there's already a noticeable improvement.

I think some folks would be better served to just skip episode 1 altogether. Especially people who are new to the show. Just watch the little introductory sequence and then jump ahead.

Episode 1 isn't exactly terrible or anything, but it has some serious rhythm issues and I don't think it's a good starting point for people who've never been introduced to the MST3K concept before.

Honestly, they should've either scrapped episode 1, or shoved it back somewhere into the middle of the season. Episode 2 makes a much better first impression.

Retro

Two "episodes" in. The Kaiju song alone was worth getting this kickstarted.

Zero complaints so far, I don't know why people think the riffing is too fast, seems fine to me. They're more active in the theater too, the bit about (E1 minor spoiler)
collecting Reptilicus slime for dinner
was a nice touch.

Here's hoping we get another season at least.

Blader

The new Crow sounds about as close as possible to Trace's. So unless you've only ever watched the last three Mike seasons, there's not much of an adjustment needed there.

opoth

Banned
I still think that the first episode is middle of the road quality wise, it's not bad, not great, but half the issue is just adjusting to the new crew. The monster song makes it worth not sleeping on, for sure.

MadeULook

I thought the first episode had some really solid moments. But I mostly agree with the consensus here. It's a decent episode but nothing spectacular. The great monster rap alone makes sitting though the episode worthwhile anyways. Song is super catchy and gets stuck in your head.

I'm mostly fine with the crew. The only one that threw me off was Servo. I think it's okay going though the first episode and I'm willing to bet it'll grow on me throughout the 14 episodes.

There is a relatively popular gif from Reptilicus that has been bouncing around the internet for years.

kuva_1247668191.gif

Wow, that does seem familiar now, thanks.

Jakoo

I still think that the first episode is middle of the road quality wise, it's not bad, not great, but half the issue is just adjusting to the new crew. The monster song makes it worth not sleeping on, for sure.

I am watching that now and the monster song was the first time I felt like that this season will ultimately deliver.

The first episode isn't great thus far but the old MST3K had some clunkers too, and this is certainly entertaining enough.

Fury451

Banned
Watched a few- I like it. Like old friends coming back, the humor is still really good, and since the last official MST3K episode was nearly 20 years ago, the new voices/cast aren't too jarring at all.

Just didn't know what/if there was any continuity between the non-riffing parts!
Pretty minor. The later years somewhat moreso (like in seasons 8 + 9 the setting changed every few episodes as they traveled), but it's nothing that stops a single episode viewed out of context from being entertaining.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
About halfway though episode 2 right now, only thing I don't care for so far is how the host segments start and end without a commercial break in-between. Feels weird for them to leave the theater, do a host segment, then go right back into the theater without a break.

Other than that, really enjoying it. It absolutely does feel like old MST3K.

Here's my detailed review of the MST3K Season 11 premiere (which I watched about three times leading up to today). Please check it out.

MST3K Season 11 Premiere at Good Enough Geek
An edit for you to make:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Season 11 opens with a bang, and the subsequent episodes I've squeezed in so far do not disappoint either. The show has always been Joel Robinson's baby, one for which he worked hard to recover the rights and bring back to modern audiences. Joel has recruited a great new crew who will one day be as beloved as their predecessors (well, nobody can top Joel).
Joel Robinson is the character's name. Joel Hodgson is the real life person's name.

Good article, otherwise!

Sanjuro

Really excited to see you guys dig the show so much.

Thought you might like to see some early explorations for Kinga. First time I've been allowed to post pre-production concepts.

That's pretty great! Thank you for sharing.

I think my only "peeve" is the MST3K logo patches on many of the characters. Other than that, I like the clean design to be honest. With the HD production it makes things pop a bit more without the crew being required to drastically change things.

Same with Jonah's WWF Ice Cream bar cardboard color scheme.

Frenden

Banned
I suspect a lot will hit the art book.

Very early on, it was me, Joel, a set designer, and his lawyer from my understanding. So a lot of things changed from those early concepts (once funding and production realities set in). Still a blast to make, though!

fester

Banned
Everything is great... Except Felicia Day. Her "high school drama nerd" overacting is really grating.

Well that sucks. She's talented enough that I expected her to be raising the bar for the rest of the cast.

The new Crow sounds about as close as possible to Trace's. So unless you've only ever watched the last three Mike seasons, there's not much of an adjustment needed there.

Trace was always the best and it's hard for me to watch MST3K without him. Good to hear the new Crow "fits". I'm planning to watch a couple episodes this weekend and will see how it goes.

Frenden

Banned
Early Jonah Heston concept. I wanted a rolled-up sleeve and peeled-back-top option for the jumpsuit to give a few looks.

Sanjuro, I wanted a very clean look to all the tech I drew. Not in terms of wear and tear or pristine upkeep, but in terms of the simple geometry. I'll try and dig up some early Kinga war machine designs. She initially was going to have tanks and things.

louiedog

I wouldn't be surprised if Joel requested it that way, so as not to spoil the movie titles.

I get that, but it's going to make rewatches hard.

One of the things I like about Netflix is when I use the TV apps it just says, "Play Season 1, Episode 4" or something like that so I'm not spoiled for shows where the title is revealing. I didn't get into It's Always Sunny until like season 8 was airing so catching up on Netflix was great because the title card jokes always landed since I didn't see them in advance. But at least they're there when I go to the episode listing to rewatch an episode that I liked.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I get that, but it's going to make rewatches hard.

One of the things I like about Netflix is when I use the TV apps it just says, "Play Season 1, Episode 4" or something like that so I'm not spoiled for shows where the title is revealing. I didn't get into It's Always Sunny until like season 8 was airing so catching up on Netflix was great because the title card jokes always landed since I didn't see them in advance. But at least they're there when I go to the episode listing to rewatch an episode that I liked.

It's weird, I was just scrolling through the Season 11 episodes and while the titles for episodes 1-5 weren't there, 6-14 were. Huh.

Sanjuro

The titles were there for the VHX streaming/download.

I don't think spoilers are a problem with this show. I mean, they advertised films prior to the episodes on commericals.

Fury451

Banned
It's weird, I was just scrolling through the Season 11 episodes and while the titles for episodes 1-5 weren't there, 6-14 were. Huh.

All are there now it seems, they weren't this morning.

Also my only main complaint is that they need to slow down some of the jokes (early episodes still). They're good lines mostly, but they're so rapid fire sometimes they become borderline annoying because everyone is talking back to back to back.

Frenden

Banned
Probably less of a spoiler conscious decision and more to do with how the Netflix CMS surfaces info if I had to guess.

Not

Banned
Early Jonah Heston concept. I wanted a rolled-up sleeve and peeled-back-top option for the jumpsuit to give a few looks.

Sanjuro, I wanted a very clean look to all the tech I drew. Not in terms of wear and tear or pristine upkeep, but in terms of the simple geometry. I'll try and dig up some early Kinga war machine designs. She initially was going to have tanks and things.

Dude thanks for posting these, fucking awesome work

Venture

Netflix sure don't seem to be promoting this. Nothing on the home page, not at the top of any of the categories that I could see. I had to use search to find it.

Finished episode 1 and... I kind of liked it. It's rough but has a lot of potential. I like the look of the show and the in theater stuff was solid. Host segments were OK, with the monster song being a real stand-out. The new Mighty Science Theater end theme is cool too.

Things I didn't like so much:
They should've done a better job establishing the premise of the show. Seeing Gizmonics was neat but the time would've been better spent setting up Moon 13 and the Mads. They had almost nothing to do in the episode.

Servo and Gypsy need more personality. They're just kind of bland.

I wish Jonah and the Bots voices were more distinctive. They sound too similar in the theater.

Random thoughts:
Long credits! Holy crap, the show's crew is huge compared to the original show. I'm not even counting the list of Kickstarter backers.

It was cool to see Beez McKeever is back working on the show.

I'm really freaked out by Crow's giant hands.

Hahaha that was great.

Seems like the Two biggest issues are things that you really can't change or they were done on purpose. Joel mentioned they did faster riffs because he felt it might help rewatchibilty

The other is getting used to servo's voice, I guess I don't have a problem because it's been a bit since I watched the classics and it doesn't bother me
Much

Fury451

Banned
Seems like the Two biggest issues are things that you really can't change or they were done on purpose. Joel mentioned they did faster riffs because he felt it might help rewatchibilty

That would be understandable but some of the riffs are basically stepping on each other. There's like 3-4 sometimes in one or two scenes back to back. It's borderline too much because the flow and humor crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom