• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what kind of pen do you write with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

My current go-to is Uni-Ball's 207/Signa (I love the black with a hint of purple), although I've got a random assortment of other pens that are okay - Pilot's Varsity and UniBall's Power Tank for doing stuff in cold weather or where I'm writing upside-down. I actually prefer the Varsity to my fancy Sheaffer pen but the power tank is too bulky (it's 1mm) for general use.

I refuse to write with regular-ass Bic ballpoints, however. They just feel wrong.

4 colours 4 lyfe

6c4dbafa-e24d-43ba-bdcb-1821edc7ad39.jpg.w480.jpg

Tenck

0.3mm for me too. I like to fit as much as I can when taking notes and it's the perfect size. Will never go back to other types of pens.

Now I need one that looks nice instead of the cheap ones I buy at CVS.

e69eef73-97c8-4129-9958-1a2b82631531

Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop Grey. Fine point.

The weight isn't for everyone but I love the cold metal casing. It's hard to go back to a ballpoint now.

Edit: But yeah I love OP's choice of Pilot Hi-Tec-C (0.3 mm) . A great and precise pen that I used a lot before going fountain pen. Still have them around the house for more precise work.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Pilot E95S with a Fine point (Top left)
TWSBI Mini 1.1 Stub (Top right)
Pilot Stargazer with a Medium point (Bottom)

I prefer the wetness and line width of the Stargazer's medium nib, which tends to give the best mix of performance and characteristics of the ink once it's dried. The stub nib's slanted angle doesn't work with my handwriting as nicely, but I can get some nice variation if I treat it more like a brush. Still not completely comfortable with using the E95S' Fine nib, because it brings the worst of my handwriting out. Takes some getting used to, whereas the Stargazer's nib is more forgiving of a little shakiness. It writes very well though, and is quite wet as far as Fine nibs go.

danthefan

Lamy Joy, it's a very cheap fountain pen but the difference between it and a non fountain pen can barely be described. I really like the Pilot G2 as well, kinda opened my eyes to things beyond a crappy Bic biro.

Fliesen

I carry one of these around in my bag (i own a blue, red and green one), so i'd call that "my" pen.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.seawavesonline.com/image/cache/catalog/MARKER/UNIBALL%20PENS/tintenroller_mitsubishi_uni-ball_eye_p-ub-157g_s-700%20(1)-500x500.jpg[/IMG]
it's the "uni-ball eye (fine)"

But usually i just use whatever ballpoint pen i accidentally stole from a coworker...
which, currently, is this beauty.
Code:
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/8cEDP4Q.jpg[/IMG]

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I guess I'd call myself moderately interested in pens. *shrug* I have a few thoughts.

For fountain pens, if you're going to invest in one pen, I'd go with a Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point.

pilot-vanishing-point-fountain-pen-black-matte-extra-fine-nib-12.jpg

They are both exceptional pens with gold nibs.

For a starter pen, the Pilot Metropolitan is an incredible value. They now come with stock italic nibs, which I adore - it's the easiest way to instantly make your writing look better.

metpop2.jpg

The venerable Lamy Safari is another great affordable pick. There are tons of designs to pick from.

images

My latest acquisition is a Namisu Nova. I swapped out the steel medium nib I ordered for a black fine nib and I think the reult writes 1000x better and looks really nice!
kXYseWX.jpg

And if you are looking for inks, Robert Oster makes very afforable inks that are ridiculously good. That's what all the cool fountain pen people are using these days.

OP, the pen you posted...
after years of searching, I think I finally found my ideal ball point pen.

99037.jpg

I recently discovered the Pilot Hi-Tec-C (0.3 mm) pen. I own and have used fountain pens in the past but I tend to lose pens very easily so wanted a cheaper alternative.

...is actually a rollerball. Ballpoint pens have oil-based inks, whereas rollerball pens have water-based (gel inks are water-based) inks. This is important to me as I work in a field where regulatory guidelines specify only ballpoint pens for official paperwork. As such, I've acquired quite the collection of ballpoint pens. The pens all use a few different brands of refills - this is the actual bit controlling the writing properties. You then pick a body that looks and feels like what you want. Most of my pens have Parker-style refills from Parker, Schneider, or Schmidt. I love Pilot pens, which have a few custom size refills.

My favorite ballpoint pens are the Baron Fig Squire (accepts rollerball of ballpoint refills)

Baron-Fig-Charcoal-Out-of-Box-768x550.jpg

The Pilot S20
21865.JPG

And the iconic Parker Jotter (make sure to get the 2016 refresh.)
jotters.jpg

I'm always happy to talk more about pens! Stop by the fountain pen thread (which has become our catch-all pen thread for the time being) if you want to chat, or send me a PM!

I ordered a Lamy safari yesterday. It'll come tomorrow. Never had a fountain pen before.

Play with it for a year and if you like it go straight to the top and get a Lamy 2000. Outside of my watch it is the best everyday carry purchase I have ever made.

I guess it helps if you actually write a lot but honestly every person in the world should carry a pen.

Play with it for a year and if you like it go straight to the top and get a Lamy 2000. Outside of my watch it is the best everyday carry purchase I have ever made.

I guess it helps if you actually write a lot but honestly every person in the world should carry a pen.

Yeah, I write a ton and it appeals to me to buy something that I could use and enjoy for like 30+ years. I'll see how much I like the safari, it seems like a good entry point.

IronRaven

I use one of these at home:

brian-fellhoelter-tibolt-tad-edition_1_fdab3a0b0200f82d608a69df5edc6184.jpg

It has a Schmidt easyFLOW 9000 M blue cartridge inside.

And for when I'm out and about, just a simple black clicky space pen:

5qY68um.png

No one gone digital yet? Fuck me.

I avoid pens/pencils as much as I can. Surface Pen and OneNote for me as much as possible.

88146e69-c251-435c-8f12-c8a6f744ab34.jpg

When I have to use the ol' school ink it's Uniball eye micro.

UN00899-BU-ZZZ-Uni-Ball-Eye-Micro-Rollerball-Pen-UB-150-Blue_P2.jpg

Rotring .25mm Rapidograph

QjudCgA.jpg

Got a case of 4 [ab]used, older versions of them, 0.25, 0.35, 0.5 and 0.7mm and some empty ink vials, years ago at a garage sale for $2. Apparently a new one costs 32 Euros each, so
2Mhkon6.gif

The 0.5 one was clogged beyond comprehension sadly (although I may have improperly cleaned it), but the others came back to life

The .25's my main though, it's fine. Cryptid-quality pic time:

I picked two of these Space Pens up at some observatory in LA (I honestly can't remember the name but it did have a bust of James Dean outside for some reason...) and they are my personal favorites.

image_prodzoomimg12481_1.jpg

Just in case I find myself in low orbit and need to make some quick sketches of our flat earth to prove SOROS and all the (((globalists) wrong.

Dishwalla

Banned
I'm a fan of the basic Bic Clic Stic.

It's cool because businesses widely use them and adorn them with their info, so they are so easy tp collect. Have dozens of Clic Stics from a variety of different places.

- Waterman 27€ (I think) fountain pen that I bought in 2009, mostly used when writing for fun, and when signing important stuff. Black ink

- Parker Vector rollerball that I was given by my father when at elementary school. Hard to believe I still haven't lost it 20 years later. Notes taking. Blue ink

- And a cheap Lyreco ballpoint suplied by the office . For when the ink of the others won't stay in place or I need to do pressure. Black, too. Despite how I hate disposable pens, ink flows extremely well.

And for the record, I will avoid cheap advertising pens and bics like the plague. Environmental guilt, they work like crap and they dry fast.

Currently a Pilot V-Pen Fountain or a Kaweco Sport or one of my Lamy Safari SE coloured pens i have at home. If i don't have a fountain pen to hand it's whatever is about from pencils to Sharpies.

I have been a fan of the Zebra F-402 since college. It's a relatively inexpensive pen, all steel, including the clip, great balance with easy to find and super cheap refills.

s0263889_sc7.jpg

emb

I use Ohto 'Graphic Liners'. Saw them pop up on Massdrop, looked nice enough, cheap enough, and they've generally been pretty good for me. They're supposed to be drawing pens I guess, but writing hasn't been a problem.

Alpende

I have a ton of basic Quantore pens I 'forget' to put back when I'm done with work. They write good enough for college notes and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom