• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your geeky pop culture blindspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else have a geeky pop culture blind spot?

I self identify as a total nerd.. Or geek.. Or.. I don't even know what words you use for that anymore, since its all so commonplace now. It's still odd to me, as someone who grew up in the 80's and 90's. I have a Star Wars and a GI Joe tattoo.. So.. That should tell you enough. Even so, there are things I missed the boat on.. Or just never bothered to watch/read/etc.

First one.. Harry Potter.. I was a huge Lord of the Rings snob, so Harry Potter always seemed like kids crap to me, so I never read the books, and avoided the movies (still never seen one all the way through). I eventually got over the edgy LOTR bias, but by then so many books/etc came out that it felt like way too much of an investment to catch up.

Second.. Doctor Who. Who? Exactly. I'd never even really heard of it until a couple of years ago. Maybe a few times in passing but never knew what it was or what it was about. I was playing Draw Something years ago and someone drew the Tardis and assumed (incorrectly) that "of course I'd know what that is.. I'm a nerd!". Still don't understand anything about Doctor Who, but now know that the phone box thing is a Tardis!

So anyone else.. Something you don't get but the rest of the world seems to?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Star Trek and super heroes.

Really for any sci-fi that isn't Terminator, Back to the Future, or Star Wars, then I couldn't care less about it.

Not into Disney or much else either, except Pixar.

Anime. Just never been into it despite having tons of friends always gushing about them. I can find the animation amazing but the style of storytelling and the plots just aren't my thing.

ThisGuy

DnD, I even had a friend try to get me into. I think the biggest issue was there was just the two of us.

I regret that to this day. DnD seems like such a fun concept. Drinking beer with a group of friends and playing DnD sounds great.

Fou-Lu

Star Trek definitely. It is more my dad's thing so I didn't let myself get interested in it.

DnD, I even had a friend try to get me into. I think the biggest issue was there was just the two of us.

I regret that to this day. DnD seems like such a fun concept. Drinking beer with a group of friends and playing DnD sounds great.

Why not give it another shot? It really is a hell of a lot of fun.

Shadybiz

I'm an 80's kid myself. For some reason, I never really got into G.I. Joe. Don't know why. I was into Transformers, TMNT, The Real Ghostbusters, etc...Joe just never really clicked with me.

Creepy

Those tv shows that never end that everybody loves, like game of thrones.

oh god and the superhero movies, so boring, occasionally I had to pretend to be awake when my gf puts them on... thankfully she's stopped trying as of guardians of the galaxy.

Anime. Just never been into it despite having tons of friends always gushing about them. I can find the animation amazing but the style of storytelling and the plots just aren't my thing.

Yeah, add anime too. I've seen a few, but they never really clicked with me either.

Ashodin

avoid game of thrones like the plague

lessee

battlestar galactica is terrible too

many other franchises that are just terrible

Harry Potter, same as you. Never liked it and I doubt I ever will.

I am also as casual as you can get with comics, from a scale of 0 to Slayven I barely move the dial to 0.5.

American animation in general is also a huge turn off. From classics like Simpsons, to South Park (absolutely despise this one), to modern ones like Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, Futurama, Adventure Time.

Acorn

Dragonball Z
Persona
Naruto
Pokemon
Oh this stuff too, though most of it wasn't big here. Except from Pokémon ofcourse. Currently experiencing my first persona, it's damn good.

I've still not watched the anime or played any of the Pokémon games, I need to get round to that at some point.

Ashodin

i also avoid blame space and bronsonlee too because they're just too mainstream, i prefer some triplestation and bobby roberts, the knockoff cola brands

Anime, Star Trek, Transformers, and The Lord of the Rings. At least I've given anime and Transformers shots in the past, though.

Doctor Who as well, but it's very much on my to-do list.

MST3k. Yeah, never heard of it growing up. When I started browsing the internet I would see "MST-Style" or MSTing fanfics. It wasn't until I got into Rifftrax that I eventually got into its predecessor.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dragonball, Transformers, Power Rangers and a weird block of stuff that was popular in the US from say, 1980 through 1991. I moved here in the mid 90s, so there are like, bands (Motley Crue) and candy (almost all of it) and TV shows that I wasn't exposed to growing up in the UK.

Candy is the weird one, because I don't eat it as an adult, but it's all still around, so people stare at me when I do stuff like realize that a Mounds is actually a Bounty bar.

Saganator

Almost all of it. Anime, comics, Harry Potter, Doctor Who, I'm not into a lot of "nerd culture." I just like my computer games and science.

Doctor Who also for me. I tried an episode and just couldn't be bothered to give a shit.

A lot of well known anime. I've watched maybe six or seven series ever. Most are just so long and it's such an investment and there's so many ups and downs that I'm just kinda meh over it.

Edit: oh shit, streamers? Streamers and video essays and most of that in general. Why would I want to watch someone rant for twenty minutes when so much of the content is biased and ill constructed? Why do I want to hear someone scream at me? I will watch some friends stream, but for the most part, YouTube in general makes me feel like an old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn. Just give me some text I can skim (or read more in depth if it's good/interesting). Just let me play the game myself. (I also usually hate video tutorials too.)

PudieRSC

Doctor Who as well. I've tried. Twice. And I have general ideas just by geek osmosis. But yea,

And Batman TAS. Which is my own fault. I'm a huge Batnerd but the lack of any easy streaming option and building it up in my head has meant I haven't watched it yet.

kswiston

Videogame streaming. I have zero interest in watching other people play games.

Also PnP and Table Top rpgs. I will play them in CRPG form, so I get the basic gyst of the magic system in things like D&D.

Cagey

Banned
Most Western/Anglophile stuff but comics are the "blind spot" I'm most happy to have. I like to hope its just childhood nostalgia for adolescents and beyond.

Superhero comic books. Although I do see a lot of the movie adaptations I don't have any idea about the source material. They seem like a convoluted web of universes spanning 50+ years that I wouldn't know where to start. I guess the plus side is lack of any expectations on what the movie adaptations should be like and being able to go in totally fresh. But a lot of the callbacks and some plot elements go right over my head.

I think comic movies are kinda dumb minus a few like, Winter Soldier, Avengers 1, Dark Knight trilogy, MoS.

Also never seen a game streamer before. I don't care. I have watched some longplays of arcade games on Mame though, but I never actually see or hear the person playing.

Most of the MCU except for GOTG and Captain America movies.

Dr Who. I tried but the cheese was too strong.

Harry Potter. Just have no interest.

Pokémon. Even as a kid I just didn't get it.

YouTube personalities. I like a couple like Angry Joe, RLM, Double Toasted, etc. but I don't understand the super popular ones with those quick cuts after every other word.

Zubz

Banned
Honestly, a lot of the big ones. Star Wars, Star Trek, & Harry Potter are the biggest 3 for me, but despite having seen the movies I often forget a lot about LotR, & I never got into the big 2 comic book publishers until late high school.

Most JRPG's & Console FPS' also tend to be blindspots, too.

Somnid

F2P PC/mobile games. I spend my life on NeoGaf and yet every few months I see a headline "game X has 100 million users, higher GDP than France" and I'm like "WTF when did this happen?"

90% of television
All sci-fi that isn't Star Wars
Anime and manga
Trading Cards
Board Games
Comics (I did get into it heavily for about a year but just got bored with the whole thing)
Fictional literature

What's funny is that most people that know me assume I like the typical nerdy stuff, but most times I have no idea. I'm a shut in that loves video games. I don't know who Frodo is 😒

robotrock

Banned
Metacritic enthusists. I see people on the gaming side organize fucking spreadsheets so they can hold reviewers accountable if a games metascore drops

I don't think you should even call yourself nerd with a blindspot. Being a true nerd is hard work and I don't like the term being watered down by posers.

Those two in the OP are probably my biggest but that's because I don't care for them at all.

I read the Harry Potter books just because and never watched past the first movie. I have no interest in any future of the franchise.

Watched an episode and a half of Doctor Who and read up on it and really didn't like it. Even seeing some pieces of recent seasons has just reinforced that.

Having watched Game of Thrones and never will. Though I'm not sure how "geeky" that ism

I have had experience with pretty much everything else. Though perhaps not thoroughly.

I watched a lot of the first two Star Trek series and eventually plan to watch a lot of DS9.

Watch the first 6 Star Wars movies and while I haven't watched any recent stuff I'm sure I will eventually.

My Marvel stuff is based on a lot of the various 90's cartoons. I have no interest in the MCU.

I'm not keeping up at all with Boruto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom