• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 154 END

I CANT BELIEVE ITS OVER! I thought we would get one more arc but then it just ended with a powerful kingcrabshipping duel to send us off, there was even more action with them than with say Yusei and Izayaoi.
thought they would kiss, not just hold hands, even RetributionShipping went further
...speaking of that...where in the world did Carly go...

Overall 5D's is definitely my favorite of the YGO's so far, Yusei was a good lead, the supporting characters all had good duels and eventually became important and all arcs were highly enjoyable and suspenseful. Will rewatch someday.

10/10.

GBF Try 13
DAERJq_LVo_AA0drb.jpg

STOP INTRODUCING LOVE RIVALS SHOW! THERE'S TOO MUCH! THERE'S TOO MU-

Oh...he blew up the moon, with a phoenix....Sense of calm returning...Anger subsiding.

Anyway SukaSuka anime episode 06 already made it less "pushing" and "throwing everything" compare to LN(well LN author himself is also anime series composition after all), but you know even LN author can't change the plot by a lot because LN fans is very easy to be triggered lol.

So it's historical issue from LN and it can't be helped.

Suka Suka ep.6

I still really like the show, but after those reveals, I'm not sure where they are going to go with it...

Well the LN originally ended(butchered, click here to see what i mean) here, so the author originally wrote a happy ending for them, but then after publisher let him write 3 more volumes, something changed, i mean you still remember first scene of anime episode 1 right, that scene is
after volume 2

BeyBlade GRevolution Episode 2

Emotional episode just because of what the tag team idea is doing to the team. Ray could have actually said what he needed to say instead of letting Tyson jump to his own conclusions and Max couldnt have said things in the manner he said it in. Tysons scream at the end was powerful, Chief couldnt help.

I wonder what Kai will do :( I hope he joins with Tyson.

Aki-at

Re:Creators - 3

Alright, I didn't quite expect it, but I'm liking this for some reason. I thought I was going to hate them trying to figure out how the system works in the world but I got a few laughs from it. Guess this is going to be my guilty pleasure from now on.

Anyway SukaSuka anime episode 06 already made it less "pushing" and "throwing everything" compare to LN(well LN author himself is also anime series composition after all), but you know even LN author can't change the plot by a lot because LN fans is very easy to be triggered lol.

So it's historical issue from LN and it can't be helped.

Well the LN originally ended(butchered, click here to see what i mean) here, so the author originally wrote a happy ending for them, but then after publisher let him write 3 more volumes, something changed, i mean you still remember first scene of anime episode 1 right, that scene is
after volume 2

That's interesting to know that it's a problem 'baked' into the story, as it's from what happened to the Light Novel during its original publishing run and while I agree with what you said earlier, that Light Novel fans would be hard to please and possibly throw a fit if he changed anything, I still think it would've been better for the story if he'd used this as an opportunity to readjust what was forced upon him.

I don't feel like it makes a great excuse for anyone looking to enjoy the series who disliked the way episode six played out though. Also, from the little bit of reading I did stuff was indeed cut? So it's not like what we saw in Episode 6 was a perfect adaptation of the LN anyway.

Love Rice Episode 6

Yeast Kings were hte singing group and they were decent but the time for the episode was so short that it made me wish for so much more. A much longer HarveStars performance would have been great.

Todays Cookpad tv didnt look that appetizing :(

DAEfqb0VYAUEkx4.jpg:small

Line_HTX

Re:Creators - 3

Alright, I didn't quite expect it, but I'm liking this for some reason. I thought I was going to hate them trying to figure out how the system works in the world but I got a few laughs from it. Guess this is going to be my guilty pleasure from now on.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same, Aki. I know this show is bad, and it's obvious Rei Hiroe wrote too much dialogue at the outset, as he admitted himself. But I find myself drawn to this cheesy premise that the characters become real and of course the OST.

That's interesting to know that it's a problem 'baked' into the story, as it's from what happened to the Light Novel during its original publishing run and while I agree with what you said earlier, that Light Novel fans would be hard to please and possibly throw a fit if he changed anything, I still think it would've been better for the story if he'd used this as an opportunity to readjust what was forced upon him.

I don't feel like it makes a great excuse for anyone looking to enjoy the series who disliked the way episode six played out though. Also, from the little bit of reading I did stuff was indeed cut? So it's not like what we saw in Episode 6 was a perfect adaptation of the LN anyway.

Well checking MAL episode is their most likely episode i guess that's fine lol(kinda surprising, for purely anime view i personally think episode 3 is best one).

Kenka Bancho Otome -Girl Beats Boys- Episode 5 – Show 'Em What You're Made Of! The Great Study Session
DAEimOtVwAAkfl9.jpg:small
DAEimOuV0AEBJd1.jpg:small

Konparu was hilarious and the way he started getting flustered, why wouldnt this really be BL :(

Cornbread78

Alice ep.6

It's funny because this is what I thought the show was going to be like from the begining. In short, this was super freakin' cute. Sanea and Sana together are super cute and grumpy old man is great.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same, Aki. I know this show is bad, and it's obvious Rei Hiroe wrote too much dialogue at the outset, as he admitted himself. But I find myself drawn to this cheesy premise that the characters become real and of course the OST.
I find I don't know how to feel about Re:CREATORS anymore. As much as I like the premise and the characters themselves, the one thing that's bothered me thus far more than the excessive dialogue in the first several episodes is that I've found the Creations have too many similar battle traits. The only one that feels uniquely talented so far is the evil schoolgirl and the mech pilot, since most of the rest can fly and have either a melee and/or ranged weapon of sorts. Compared to the diversity of fighters in something like Fate/Zero, I worry that the battles to come won't have the kind of variety they'll need to stay interesting.

Aki-at

Looking forward to see the infamous 5th episode that's blabbermouth city. Maybe if I go in with low expectations I can get some enjoyment from it.

cj_iwakura

Serial Experiments Lain [END]

Very surprised with the happy ending, it wasn't the tone I was expecting. Maybe it was because I was waiting for some more concrete explanations, but it certainly felt the show arrived on its climax suddenly. Anyway, in the midst of all the confusion, Lain was a cool show. Quite though provoking and interesting in its own weird fashion.

I'm also glad that Alice had a bigger role in the finale. Episode 12 was great and, for once, it was completely straightforward. I think my biggest annoyance with the show was that people rarely acted like normal human beings, even though it was understandable in a few cases. The scene with Alice and Lain near the end of 12 was the most "human" in the show and it was beautiful. I kind of wish the show had been that direct with its approach more often, but maybe this would have actually ruined it.

Now check this out.

http://fauux.neocities.org/

Also, NieA_7 is the next show the team worked on. Same writer and art designer, but it's slice of life. You'd probably enjoy.

Drifters 1-3

After someone recommended this to me, and had me watch the OP (which is awesome BTW; one of the best of last year), I decided to give this a try after hearing mixed things about it while it was airing in the fall.

So far, I'm liking it a lot. I'm a sucker for fantasy-meets-history stories, so I really like that aspect. Those who've seen me in the NaNoWriMo threads know I'm writing a book taking place in an alternate WW2 where the Nazi's discovered dragons, so seeing the MIG come in at the end of Episode 3 to shoot down the dragons make me giddy with excitement. My god, that was such a hype moment. I loved it.

One issue I have is the whiplash from dramatic to funny that happens in certain scenes. Like the scene at the end of Episode 2, where Shimazu has the villagers get their revenge on the commander, which is followed by a comedic scene before getting serious again. I don't mind the comedy, I just wish it would be better separated from the more serious and dramatic moments. That's my only problems, though.

I also really like how the characters feel like they come from around the globe. While the main characters are all Japanese (Nobunaga, Shimazu, and Yoichi), you also have Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, Scipio and Hannibal, Anastasia, and Joan of Arc, giving it a nice mix of different cultures. I'm excited to see where this goes next.

Cornbread78

after volume 2

Oh, so lots more craziness to come, I see..

Origin spirit of the past

So I have mix feeling about this, but I am mostly disappointed. First of all I think this film starts extremely strong. Powerful apocalyptic visuals with a super good track playing followed by the introduction of this world post-end with quite a few really interesting concept and characters. The forest which is the what-seem-to-be antagonist here looks extremely menacing and oh so powerful. Agito and co are a super fun bunch. And boy are the visuals beautiful. We then have the different factions introduced and the main girl Yula gets a more important role, she gets taken away and then the whole film plummets from there. Boy is that girl so dumb and hot damn is this cool military faction a super one dimensional villain. Their whole mission by the end seems like a joke and tossed to the side. Even the forest itself which looked super cool and imposing at the start did absolutely squat. Almost non of the cool things introduced actually amounts to anything. Where were all the cool scenes with the enhanced people? Agito had a few and thank god Agito and his father were in this movie cause they at least redeemed some of it. The action was also surprisingly disappointing for a film. Then the movie ends....yep I'm disappointed :(

A feel like when I watched Harmony all over again.

[Little Witch Academia TV] - 19

This series has always been afflicted by bad writing but this is usually counterbalanced by strong visuals and some snappy direction. You can, occasionally, get caught up in the ride because it's being executed so well that you forget how poorly the show handles certain fundamental aspects of storytelling, such as characterisation. This episode, unfortunately, doesn't even have the decency to look good. It's just a bore. It's not like I expect the show to 'magically' fix itself, 19 episodes into it's run (this isn't Fafner, after all), but could it at least avoid being ugly? Couldn't they at least wheel out some decent storyboarding for a two-part episode dedicated to one of the most important people in the show? Can't they find someone to draw a decent piece of background art? What's going on at Trigger?

The background art of this show has always bothered me because it feels bland and empty. It's purely functional lines and colours that fail to convey any emotion, ideas, or information. Background art, as a key element of mise-en-scene, is a hugely powerful tool that can give the audience a feeling, tell them about a space or convey ideas about a character. One of the most important places where we can learn about a character through background art is when we visit their most personal space - the bedroom. A characters bedroom is often a reflection of their tastes, hobbies and personality as well as acting as a window into their past and present. It can tell the audience a lot of key information very succinctly. How does Little Witch Academia fair on this metric?

Consider the below three bedrooms from this episode:

These bedrooms are almost completely devoid of any character information at all. They're just empty, hollow spaces filled with familiar household objects. Apart from Diana's bear and box, there's absolutely nothing else going on with these three key spaces. It just feels like such a waste of potentially useful visual information. It doesn't feel like anyone is actually living in any of these rooms.

At this point I feel like you could write a book on anime bedrooms.

Texhnolyze is also regarded as the SEL staff 5 year reunion.

That doesn't make any sense. The only two people who worked on both shows were Yoshitoshi ABe doing original character designs and Chiaki J. Konaka writing scripts. The directors were different (Ryutaro Nakamura on Lain vs. Hiroshi Hamasaki on Texhnolyze), as were pretty much the entire rest of the creative staff as far as I can see.

cj_iwakura

That doesn't make any sense. The only two people who worked on both shows were Yoshitoshi ABe doing original character designs and Chiaki J. Konaka writing scripts. The directors were different (Ryutaro Nakamura on Lain vs. Hiroshi Hamasaki on Texhnolyze), as were pretty much the entire rest of the creative staff as far as I can see.

As much as I love Nakamura's work, to be fair, ABe and Konaka are pretty much the dream team.

That said, Texhnolyze... it's tough love. The art is fantastic, but the show really drags. The OP is on a whole other level, though.

wtf did i just click on

Wired
Sound For
Wired
People
presentday.gif

Jex

Lupin the Third Part 1 Episode 6

Lupin the Third is a weird show because it has Looney Tunes level physics (Jigen shoots a hole in a car, then Lupin throws a knife with a stick of dynamite attached to it into the hole and the car blows up) but also just a ton of stone cold murder. The Phantom Thieves right? They steal shit but Lupin, Jigen and Fujiko have no issue just MURDERING a ton of people every episode!

Yeah, that's kind of the tone of the little of the manga that I had read as well. It wasn't until Miyazaki cleaned him up (or ruined him) that he became less of a terrorist. To be honest though, I kind of dig the tone of the early series because it's pretty unusual, it's not often that the 'hero' of a series is such a callous criminal.

Jex

At this point I feel like you could write a book on anime bedrooms.
Speaking of which, I had meant to incorporate some examples from other show's into my post, but I was too tired. Now here's a good one form Mob Psycho: Shigeo's room vs Ritu's room.

Here's Shigeo's bedroom:

And now Ritsu's:

The contrast is fairly stark. Shigeo's room is nearly completely bare, devoid of any traces of his character. It gives him the sense of being a blank canvas. It's not empty like the rooms in Little Witch Academia because those rooms are stuffed full of meaningless (by which I mean things that fail to convey ideas/information) clutter like lamps, chairs, paintings, etc that are just 'filler' for the space. By contrast, Shigeo literally only has one piece of furniture, so this 'empty' astehtic is clearly deliberate in Mob Psycho vs the generic carelessness of Little Witch Academia.

Meanwhile Ritsu's room clearly conveys an idea of who Ritsu is (or at least, who he is trying to be). There's a real sense of his studious and organised nature: the desk with rows of what I assume are textbooks on it, a world map, a board with a schedule on it, all his stationary neatly filed away - it's clear that he's a focused, dedicated student who works hard to achieve the success he has received at school. It's not like he's stumbled into his good grades, he's obviously working at it.

Anyway, wish I had included the above in my earlier post, but never mind.

Jarmel

Banned
I should mention though that shot of Diana's room is bare because that's her cleaning out her room. They showed her room previously in the first cour and it had books everywhere.

Background art is still generally shit though(except for cityscape shot in ep 18).

Line_HTX

「正解するカド」公式‏ @Seikaisuru_Kado 1h1 hour ago

「正解するカド」第6.5話予告動画
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8EjBjPpE8

Fucking shit, first Seven Mortal Sins last Friday was 4.5, now Kado 6.5 this week. Why does production fall so behind more and more...

「正解するカド」公式‏ @Seikaisuru_Kado 1h1 hour ago

「正解するカド」第6.5話予告動画
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h8EjBjPpE8

Fucking shit, first Seven Mortal Sins last Friday was 4.5, now Kado 6.5 this week. Why does production fall so behind more and more...
Tsuki ga Kirei also getting recap episode today btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom