• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Case Scenario for the Vita

AppleBlade

I love my Playstation Vita. The screen is gorgeous, it fits perfectly in my hands, I love the fact that all the games are available digitally. I have really enjoyed the system since I purchased it on launch day.

With that said, I am heartbroken by the struggles the Vita is having with sales and I am getting worried that this awesome hardware will not only miss out on having an awesome library but might also die an early death. What do you guys think?

What is your worst case scenario for the Vita? Will it be like the dreamcast? Awesome launch but quickly fades away?

Fewr

Worst case scenario: I don't buy it and miss out on great games.

EDIT:

For Vita: Suffer the fate of game boy micro maybe.

Shtof

Yeah, if sales don't pick up rather soon third parties will leave the ship early. Sony can't support an entire console ecosystem by itself, at least not as long as there are two consoles at any given time.

PaulLFC

It just needs a steady stream of games.

The launch lineup was great, and I still have plenty to play from it, but after that, there's been hardly anything, at least here in the UK. There's been Disgaea last week and... I think that's it. I think there might be a Harry Potter game out too, but there's been hardly any games at all since launch week.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think I'll wait until this summer is over before passing judgment, but I'm not too concerned with it 'dying early'. It's in Sony's best interest that this succeeds, and Sony knows that. I'd be surprised if Sony prematurely killed it without giving it the old college try.

Eusis

Worst case scenario is that it's discontinued tomorrow. Beyond that, if it sputters out so fast we don't even get to see some of the stuff announced like Ys Celceta, which would be about the same as spontaneously discontinuing it.

vita-review-us8175.jpg

adolf_hitler.jpg

nuclear-bomb-explosion.jpeg

2.jpg

PS+Vita+VS+HAMMER%2521.png

-Winnie-

Not having the Vita Call of Duty game for launch was a big mistake. If they had managed that, I feel the Vita situation could be completely different.

Oddduck

It's all on E3.

Wii U might have a lot of pressure on it to have an amazing E3, but PS Vita has just as much pressure. Sony needs to show that there's a huge lineup of games and support on the horizon.

If they fumble with E3, Vita might be fucked.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I sadly see a Dreamcast-esque lifespan for it. Truckloads of potential, a few gems, fantastic hardware, but just ignored by far too many.

I never loved a system quite the way I loved my Dreamcast..

..I still haven't gotten a Vita, as I fear it's fate..

Desty

Banned
Yeah there is the next wave of games for this year but I worry that those resources will float towards PS4 / Xbox720 games afterwards and leave the Vita landscape barren. I hope this doesn't happen! C'mon Vita, stay with us!!

I'd say a price drop occurs ($199 or lower) and nobody notices.

At that point it's probably dead unfortunately, at least in the US.

In Japan it needs Monter Hunter something, or some other huge game franchise

Dueck

Banned
Sony's pockets are too deep to abandon it, and if they do, they'll never be able to market another handheld successfully again.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I don't see the platform being Dreamcasted but Sony could be ignoring it by treating the PS4 as their only legitimate child.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I love my vita, and I am hoping it really takes off after E3 and especially the holidays.

Call of Duty Vita
Assassins Creed Vita
Killzone Vita
God of War Vita
LBP Vita

etc etc etc will really push sales and make room for new IP's.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
How much has sold PSV so far?

Well in Japan in one week the 3DS does nearly 10 times as better than the PSV. 10... times. In USA it seems to be fairly closer (225 3DS >200K PSV if I remember right from last NPD), but the 3DS sold millions over the Christmas so that gives the 3DS a bigger advantage.

Foffy

Banned
E3 is the final chance for the Vita. I wouldn't have thought this a few weeks ago, but with the announcement of New Super Mario Bros 2, Nintendo has already created a nuke to destroy all momentum the Vita would have had for 2012. The only way to counter that is with a major portable title. Key word here is portable: having Killzone, Resistance, or Uncharted in the palm of my hand as a console experience won't cut it for me, and doesn't seem to be cutting any interest with the mainstream.

Xander51

It hasn't even had one holiday season yet. If it flops this coming fall, then I'll worry. I feel like I'm reading a 3DS thread from a year ago.

It hasn't even had one holiday season yet. If it flops this coming fall, then I'll worry. I feel like I'm reading a 3DS thread from a year ago.

It is a strangely mirrored situation. And it will likely turn out exactly the same, Sony will either announce buttloads of excellent titles at E3/cut the price (or both) and we'll be lost next year without a new system to... oh wait!

Guys, the WiiU is doomed. Calling it. That's our next thing. Excellent.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Will it be like the dreamcast? Awesome launch but quickly fades away?

What awesome launch did the vita had?

EDIT: Not that I hate the system (Will get one after price drop eventually) but from what I remember the launch wasn't great.

RedSwirl

We need to wait until this holiday to judge. Almost every newly-released game platform doesn't really begin to pick up steam with its game library until the first holiday season after its launch.

Foffy

Banned

But even with the doom and gloom in the early period of the 3DS, we had big games to look forward to. We knew Kid Icarus, Super Mario 3D Land, and Mario Kart 7 would be big games. As much as I'll probably enjoy Gravity Rush, that's not nearly in the same atmosphere as those games, and that seems to be the biggest standout out of Sony's first party affairs.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I sadly see a Dreamcast-esque lifespan for it. Truckloads of potential, a few gems, fantastic hardware, but just ignored by far too many.

I never loved a system quite the way I loved my Dreamcast..

..I still haven't gotten a Vita, as I fear it's fate..
One of the reason behind the amazing Dreamcast library was that it received plenty of Naomi Arcade ports because it was basically sharing the Naomi architecture with lesser specs. You could say they weren't even ports! The Vita on the other hand... is an island on it's own.

I love my vita, and I am hoping it really takes off after E3 and especially the holidays.

Call of Duty Vita
Assassins Creed Vita
Killzone Vita
God of War Vita
LBP Vita

Wow you have great expectations if that is your worst case scenario.

Without success in Japan, we are seeing the worst case senario. Western support, if it even materializes, won't do much to move hardware to the masses in the US. Just as they failed to on the PSP.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm living in Vita's worst case scenario right now.
I STILL don't fucking have Gravity Daze!
I want that so badly.
I just don't understand why we're getting it almost 6 months after Japan did... :(

big_z

Sony's pockets are too deep to abandon it, and if they do, they'll never be able to market another handheld successfully again.

Sonys pockets are empty and the company is on life support. Vita needs some miracle software to get sales up. A price drop might help too but Sony isn't in a position where they can lose more money.

jakncoke

Banned
3rd parties start opting to not release Vita games. Such madden/call of duty..ect. At that point Sony would probably be better off firesaling(sp?) it

I'm living in Vita's worst case scenario right now.
I STILL don't fucking have Gravity Daze!
I want that so badly.
I just don't understand why we're getting it almost 6 months after Japan did... :(

They've clearly got translators that used to work for Square Enix/Game Freak.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™

Call of Duty Vita
Assassins Creed Vita
Killzone Vita
God of War Vita
LBP Vita

Aah... innovating console experiences!

Carl

Same as is the worst case for any console.

Sony launched it at a high price. But they should have done. Makes more business sense to squeeze as many $250 sales as they canbthen drop the price, than it does to start at a lower price. I suspect next year everything will be fine and people will be talking about how the WiiU is doomes. Rinse, lather, repeat.

zroid

Banned
If Vita continues as-is, we're headed for a worst case scenario.

Luckily, this probably isn't going to happen. What the Vita needs is an identity that isn't "the system you can use to play PS3 games on-the-go." Sony's banking too much on that premise, and it was never a good one.

I think the Vita's best asset is still its dual analogues (possibly in combination with its multi-touchscreen). A handheld system has never had this before -- CPP doesn't count as it's optional. Developers need to find a way to make a fun portable-type experience using this tool they've had for over a decade. Console ports and spinoffs won't cut it, I'm afraid.

3rd party support evaporates over the next year, planned games are downspec'ed and ported to 3DS.

Sony is faced with either dropping the price, which they cannot do due to financial issues, or quietly discontinuing the system. They discontinue the system in the Fall of 2013.

Foffy

Banned
Without success in Japan, we are seeing the worst case senario. Western support, if it even materializes, won't do much to move hardware to the masses in the US. Just as they failed to on the PSP.

I would assume they're failing in the west because once again, Sony's vision is not the vision gamers want. I know saying Sony's handhelds are console games on a portable screen is not completely accurate, but based on how they market the system in the west, that's just the idea Sony presents. I would only assume that the system is bombing in Japan because they've actually applied this approach over there by emphasizing Uncharted as the biggest Vita game at launch.

Top Bottom