• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My translations:
We had previously discovered this creature, but now we know it's name - 'Takozonesu'. Similar to the Inklings, she was the ability to fight by transforming between octopus and human forms and is one of the elite soldiers in the Octarian Army. They seem to be strong enemies who can effectively use the shot guns and bomb weapons.

the 'Takozonesu' can also appear in groups.
It's hard to win while fighting off multiple of these ladies at one time.
So you should aim to kill them individually.
Ah, that's not something I learned from Cap'n Cuttlefish - I thought it up by myself.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
B-Ri2C3CMAAeDVk.jpg:orig

Squids apparently love fashion. It says something about this shoe brand (aroma?).

How did I miss this

Geg

Ha, I get it, it's a pun on "Amazoness" but with tako/octopuss.

So the Japanese name translated would be Takozoness or Octozoness.

thefro

Ha, I get it, it's a pun on "Amazoness" but with tako/octopuss.

So the Japanese name translated would be Takozoness or Octozoness.

You don't need the "-ess" on the end since "Amazon" = female already.

I'd go with "Octozon" then. The Treehouse usually stays away from using Japanese words in their name translations.

Octo girl artwork looks great indeed.

"We had previously discovered this creature, but now we know it's name - 'Takozonesu'. Similar to the Inklings, she was the ability to fight by transforming between octopus and human forms and is one of the elite soldiers in the Octarian Army. They seem to be strong enemies who can effectively use the shot guns and bomb weapons."

The elite octopus soldier girls with rival skills. Interesting.

batbeg

So have any people thought about game modes Splatoon Devs should be thinking about

Splatoon Modes Ideas

4 Person Free For All - the goal is to color the most area during designated time, each player is penalized heavily if he kills one of the other players while inking up the place. This will provide a different mechanic where certain players will focus on trying to ink up the environment while others try to get hit on purpose. Players see score in real time thus 3 people are able to group against one and try to get him penalized by trying to get hit by his ink.

Traversal Trials - Pretty much capture the flag in a randomly generated environment, where the different traversal mechanics are introduced and whoever captures the flag first/arrives at a particular check point wins. Since we have seen some additional environments and elements in the SP, those should be used here(pipes, obstacles, platforming). People are able to get hit and restart the course, but only long range weapons which require multiple hits for a kill are permitted.

Maze - Randomly generated maze where the opponents need to get to the center and retrieve an item. Once they have the item they need to return to an entrance in order to win. But you can only traverse ground you've already inked yourself and cannot ink while carrying the item. All players are able to see the maze and colors during the game unless they are inside the center/carrying the item. You can drop the item in order to fight or ink the maze path, but when you pick it up again the map/coloring of the map dissapears - so you have no way of knowing if someone is approaching you while caring the item.

Hide and Seek - One person is able to shoot during this mode, but they have limited ink. The map starts in the color of the person who is searching. Other players are able to color the terrain as they move through it but the person searching is able to view the whole map and its is colored. So if you run into the person who is searching while coloring in squid mode you're toast, but if you color some parts and than hide further behind they might shoot into nothing. The people hiding have a 10 second head start to color some of the terrain before the person searching is deployed.

Those would be dope as hell to me - wonder if such modes would be played in a TPS

I really hope this game has at least a few unique modes. This is looking like one of the most invigorating TPS online shooters I've ever seen but the lack of options is going to really bum me out of there's just 4v4 and 1v1 (which is what I'm assuming the duel mode will be)/

Anyway since nobody else offered a mode I was thinking of a Capture the Flag mode whereby the flag is actually a giant sprinkler that increases its range the longer it is held. This way the game is still about claiming territory but the "flag" is going to be so overpowered that the players will all want it.

So the Octogirl enemies are called Octolings, I dig it. From the Tumblr:

"These Octarian fighters were discovered a while ago, but we’ve just now learned their real name: Octolings! Like Inklings and their squid powers, these tricksters can switch between octopus and humanoid form at will. They apparently make up an elite corps of the Octarian forces. We’ve seen footage of them heavily armed with bombs and ink guns, so don’t go messing around with these suckers unless you have to!"

I feel like she's not as special if there's multiple.

Really? I feel the opposite way. To me, if she was just a boss I would find her design a bit underwhelming, but as a generic enemy their design is anything but generic. Really looking forward to fighting them.

Seems the Splatoon tumblr has almost caught up with the Japanese twitter
Aside from that one tweet with the two octo girls.

The last few tumblr posts to compare

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/112270398729/this-is-octo-valley-the-jumping-off-point-for#notes

"This is Octo Valley, the jumping-off point for Splatoon’s single-player story mode. It’s also where Cap’n Cuttlefish has been keeping a solitary watch on the growing Octarian threat! Not the most social of pastimes, but the path walked by heroes is often a lonely one. To that end, it sounds like his grandkids haven’t been visiting as much lately. Not that I asked, but he told me anyway…"

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/112305831834/word-on-the-street-is-that-the-octarians-secret#notes

"Word on the street is that the Octarians’ secret lair is somewhere beneath Octo Valley. In fact, Cap’n Cuttlefish told one of our undercover interns that he’s fairly certain these teakettle-like thingies are the way in! He also told Meghan that he’s convinced the Octarians are planning some kind of trap, to never let her guard down, and that if he was only a few years younger, he’d take care of those Octojerks himself…"

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/112325409627/these-octarian-fighters-were-discovered-a-while#notes

"These Octarian fighters were discovered a while ago, but we’ve just now learned their real name: Octolings! Like Inklings and their squid powers, these tricksters can switch between octopus and humanoid form at will. They apparently make up an elite corps of the Octarian forces. We’ve seen footage of them heavily armed with bombs and ink guns, so don’t go messing around with these suckers unless you have to! "

Sounds like the name of the female Inkling hero has just been confirmed!

" In fact, Cap’n Cuttlefish told one of our undercover interns that he’s fairly certain these teakettle-like thingies are the way in! He also told Meghan that he’s convinced the Octarians are planning some kind of trap, to never let her guard down, "

Meghan seems to be one of the interns of the squid lab.

And the one missing tweet just got posted on the Splatoon tumblr

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/1...ved-new-intel-confirming-that-octolings#notes

"We’ve received new intel confirming that Octolings can appear in pairs or even larger teams from time to time. The thought of facing a solo Octoling makes me weak in the knees, so taking on two or more sounds like a one-way ticket to the danger zone! I had one of our undercover interns ask Cap’n Cuttlefish about this situation, and he said that back in the day, he took out a few Octoling squads by focusing his fire on one at a time. Seeing as he lived to tell this tale, sounds like some good advice!"

You know. Comparing these translations to the Japanese translations.
Seems like they are avoiding calling them females.. despite already confirming only female octarians can transform into human form. Strange.

Octolings? :(

they don't sound like bad guys if you give them cute names

also they should be very careful not to mess up the Lore of a new IP making it too different from Japanese and English translations so avoiding gender is silly at this point keep the story straight

Those octolings look way too cute... And they're baddies with sexy outfits... And tentacles... So.... Where is the fan-art? (asking for a friend)

They were always cuties though

the Squids are sounding more like elitist jerk-fashionistas more and more
if they make the Octo's too charming that will be the vibe you get

it will seem like one side lives underground they are the oppressed and the squids are the evil ones lol

these guys should have just been the only real baddies
B360SVrCIAA3kix.jpg:large

these are too close to your hero types to make them anti-hero levels of cool
B-2JpOoVIAAUNuK.jpg:large

now you give them a cute name you ruined the vibe

You know. Comparing these translations to the Japanese translations.
Seems like they are avoiding calling them females.. despite already confirming only female octarians can transform into human form. Strange.

Did they confirm that it's only the females that can transform full stop or just that the transforming ones in this game are only female? I'm hoping for some male Octolings too in a sequel.

the Squids are sounding more like elitist jerk-fashionistas more and more
if they make the Octo's too charming that will be the vibe you get

it will seem like one side lives underground they are the oppressed and the squids are the evil ones lol

these guys should have just been the only real baddies

these are too close to your hero types to make them anti-hero levels of cool

now you give them a cute name you ruined the vibe

Eh, the goggles are pretty evil-looking to me. And from what I've heard of the story it has always seemed like the Octarians' motives aren't necessarily evil. I think making them basically two equal races warring is much more interesting than just cute blob things being the villains.

Did they confirm that it's only the females that can transform full stop or just that the transforming ones in this game are only female? I'm hoping for some male Octolings too in a sequel..

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/547596249629597696
Japanese tweet:
"イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。 タコ軍団には、イカと同様、ヒトの姿に変身できるものがいるようだ。だが、不思議なことにメスの個体しか確認されていない。メスのタコだけが変身能力を持ってい るのだろうか?それとも単に誰かの趣味なのだろうか……?"

Google translate:
It's investigation report from the squid Institute. The octopus corps, as well as squid, seems there are things that can be transformed into a form of human. But, not only female individual is confirmed Strangely. I wonder only female octopus has a makeover ability? Or simply ...... wonder that someone hobby?

(No proper translation for this tweet.)

From Splatoon tumblr:
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/106078220214/breakings-news-weve-just-received-solid-evidence

"Breakings news! We’ve just received solid evidence confirming that some of the octopus creatures can take on a humanoid form, just like the crazy squids! However, this has so far only been observed in females. Are the octo-males not capable of this amazing feat? We’re assigning two interns to focus on answering this tantalizing question."

Did they confirm that it's only the females that can transform full stop or just that the transforming ones in this game are only female? I'm hoping for some male Octolings too in a sequel.

Eh, the goggles are pretty evil-looking to me. And from what I've heard of the story it has always seemed like the Octarians' motives aren't necessarily evil. I think making them basically two equal races warring is much more interesting than just cute blob things being the villains.

if they really wanted to equal races they should have allowed one side to play as Octos in 4v4

this being Nintendo I can see the Octos not being truly bad and just one side of a warring world as you pointed out tho

if they really wanted to equal races they should have allowed one side to play as Octos in 4v4

this being Nintendo I can see the Octos not being truly bad and just one side of a warring world as you pointed out tho

Maybe, but I like the idea of the Splatoon games being the Inklings' sport while a war is going on underground. Plus, I reckon they'll be playable in a sequel. :)

Believe this bigger version of the group pic wasn't posted yet:
ubnwU3jl.jpg

^ Ah okay awesome, thanks. Looks like it's unconfirmed... Leaves potential for the future :)

It confirms all the octolings seen so far are female. So not calling them female is kinda weird.
I wouldn't mind seeing male octolings in a sequel or so.

Yesss the Splatoon fan-art train does not stop moving!!
Time to get the fanart train rolling again
Feel free to add more fanart in the fanart thread. Not many posts at all lately. More are welcome.

Geg

You don't need the "-ess" on the end since "Amazon" = female already.

I'd go with "Octozon" then. The Treehouse usually stays away from using Japanese words in their name translations.

Yeah, it's a Japanese thing I think. "Amazoness" can be used to refer to Amazon warriors I believe

It confirms all the octolings seen so far are female. So not calling them female is kinda weird.
I wouldn't mind seeing male octolings in a sequel or so.

Do you mean not having a female pronoun in the last two posts? To me it's pretty naturally worded as they were talking about multiple (female) enemies. I mean I could be wrong, but I don't think they're avoiding saying that, it's not like they need to spell it out that they are female - it's pretty obvious. Plus as you said in a previous English post their gender was talked about.

Any news about amiibo support??
i would say is pretty much set in stone.

The game pays a huge emphasis in clothing and accessories for the playable characters. At minimum we should get support to unlock outfit or clothing parts depending of which Amiibo character is tagged. For example, tagging the Link Amiibo lets the Inkling use the Hero's Cloths or accessories related to the Link character or Zelda series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom