• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online monetization model leaked. Buy money. [Found on Rockstar Servers]

Permanently A

don't see the issue. you can buy or make money, so what? unless they make the guns purchaseable with cash pay2win strong there isn't an issue.

MormaPope

Banned
If micro transactions were really part of GTA Online why didn't the pirates or leakers find that info in the files a couple of weeks ago? Why would Rockstar not mention this fact? This seems like something that should've leaked long ago if it was real.

We are heated because this demonstrates the shit direction that AAA gaming is taking when even a super profitable game degrades itself with cash transactions. Cash transactions outside of expansion content should not exist in games you bought. Ever. F2p in general is a scourge to gaming as its practices are infecting every fucking game now.

Spend cash to get in-game items to decimate your competition? How can anyone think that's a good thing no matter how it is implemented? Real life currency infecting grand theft auto, a game that specifically poked fun at this practice within its game satire. Just incredible.

Where does it say anything about decimating competition?

creid

If true, then the decision to delay GTAO to 10/1 might be brilliant PR on Rockstar's part. Including this pricing info or releasing the online mode before reviews hit would probably ensure lower review scores, or at the very least, lead to negative press about this kind of monetization.

Savitar

Whatever happens you know there shall be some epic stories coming out of a GTA Online.

Goons will make sure of that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If this is true, I can see myself investing way less time in the online than I planned. So I guess it's a good thing for my backlog / social life...

:(

BigDug13

don't see the issue. you can buy or make money, so what? unless they make the guns purchaseable with cash pay2win strong there isn't an issue.

Uhh. Guns, armor, cars, helicopters, everything in GTA revolves around in-game money. This finding specifically is for spending your real cash for in-game money. We already know what you can buy with in-game money and it isn't simply skin packs or whatever like other f2p games. It's the exact tools one would need to have a leg up on the competing players.

Hip Hop

What positive aspect comes from cash for in-game items? Especially in a competitive multiplayer game. What positive aspect? It's tough to open one's mind when this is straight up external cash for in-game money which in-game money is how you buy armor, weapons, helicopters, properties, cars, etc.

Real currency for in-game currency when we already know what in-game currency in GTA can purchase. Nothing positive here.

It's a free roaming game, there is nothing competitive about it.

Eusis

They should just make GTA:O free and the people who bought the game get $60 worth ingame cash.
That'd be a little extreme admittedly since that's in a sense giving the SP game for free or screwing over those who just want to play GTA:O. $10 would be more reasonable really.

I have to admit though, from a morbid amusement angle it WOULD be ironic if after Peter Molyneux's statement about $1 billion in 3 days "not being impressive" we had GTAV bringing in truly maddening profit from microstransactions. It wouldn't be worth the price it'd entail, but still.
Let's be honest with ourselves, this is a game where it's fun as hell for many of us to just drive on sidewalks and mow down everyone in our way. This IS the kind of game that'll encourage picking fights with other people or just being a dick, even if people may not act this way in other games.

PureGone

Banned
Nothing to do with opinions here. No one was disguising GTA as multiplayer game of the century. We all know what the optimal part of the package is.

I remember a online multiplayer trailer that was hyping it to be amazing. Lots of interviews with houser with him saying its a massive part of the game...

BigDug13

Where does it say anything about decimating competition?

How do you think you get the cars, armor, guns, etc that you will use in the competitive online game? Will you use in-game money to purchase those items? Will other players also do that? Should you be able to pad your in-game bank account by using real currency?

BigDug13

So it's fully co-op? No death match, racing, turning on your heist buddies and stealing their cash? All things that would be easier if you could buy better items ahead of time using your real cash?

Because what you say is not how Rockstar presented this online game on their trailer.

We are heated because this demonstrates the shit direction that AAA gaming is taking when even a super profitable game degrades itself with cash transactions. Cash transactions outside of expansion content should not exist in games you bought. Ever. F2p in general is a scourge to gaming as its practices are infecting every fucking game now.

Spend cash to get in-game items to decimate your competition? How can anyone think that's a good thing no matter how it is implemented? Real life currency infecting grand theft auto, a game that specifically poked fun at this practice within its game satire. Just incredible.

I agree with ur stance on microtransactions in online games but getting mad at rockstar over somthing they haven't even confirmed to be happening is a stretch

cdkee

Banned
I'm not surprised that there are micro transactions. That much was obvious. Didn't expect you to just be able to buy money though...

Sorian

Banned
I remember a online multiplayer trailer that was hyping it to be amazing. Lots of interviews with houser with him saying its a massive part of the game...

Every trailer has hype. That isn't anything new, my question to you looking back at the media for the game. What had more focus by a landslide? The multiplayer will probably be great but my point stands, you shouldn't be buying a GTA game for the online just like you shouldn't be buying a CoD or Halo for the singleplayer.

Astery

Here's a pic of the ingame website I was talking about
VAehR7v.png

Seems funny that they would do the same exact thing they are parodying.

the irony.That's the bigger joke.

BigDug13

I agree with ur stance on microtransactions in online games but getting mad at rockstar over somthing they haven't even confirmed to be happening is a stretch

I'm mad at the idea of allowing in-game currency direct purchases with real money. It's the exact worst kind of microtransactions in an online game like this.

If it turns out to be false, then great. But the idea that there are files in their game already that hint at these features. It's enough for me to get mad.

MormaPope

Banned
Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting.

This sounds like someone trying to ape Rockstar and how they handle descriptions. And then here are the amounts for cash in the text file:

$100,000
$200,000
$500,000
$1,250,000

What would be the price difference between $100,000 and $200,000 when it concerns real cash? Lets say $100,000 is $5, would $200,000 be $7.50 or $10.00? And then for whatever reason the million dollar option isn't a million dollars, its slightly above that mark.

The actual dollar amounts are extremely odd if they were legit. It would make more sense for a $100,000, $500,000, and $1,000,000 range instead of whats in the file.

If this is true it isn't a gigantic biggie, but this seems incredibly fake and fishy.

BigDug13

Every trailer has hype. That isn't anything new, my question to you looking back at the media for the game. What had more focus by a landslide? The multiplayer will probably be great but my point stands, you shouldn't be buying a GTA game for the online just like you shouldn't be buying a CoD or Halo for the singleplayer.

Do you at least acknowledge that if this rumor is true, it will actually taint the GTA brand more than if they had never released an online portion?

cdkee

Banned
I could see micro transactions for weapon/car skins or colors, clothing as well, but not in game money. Surely R* has more sense than that. I'll believe it when I see it in my game.

My only beef with this is that I thought this was a real simulated economy. But you can inject money into it out of thin air? I understand the US mint does this but.... If it doesn't hurt the realism or the cool dynamics of the economy, then why not? Something tells me it's going to be the weak link (money from thin air) in the chain (solid economy that ties together all the game systems), though

Gurrry

If this is true, its the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

Spending real money for virtual money so i can buy virtual clothes and virtual stocks?

Id rather spend real money on real clothes and real stocks.

What a horrible idea.

KissVibes

Banned
Here's a pic of the ingame website I was talking about
VAehR7v.png

Seems funny that they would do the same exact thing they are parodying.

Probably because GTA is written by a bunch of cocks that aren't actually funny when it comes to satire or parody. They just go for lame cliches and jokes other people have been making for years.

BigDug13

lol this stance is ridiculous. Just play it as you normally would.

Some people are only willing to grind out in a game if the grind is the identifier of time investment. In other words, lots of people don't want to sink 100 hours into an online grind to earn money that someone can just spend the real cash to equally achieve. It cheapens the effort for those gamers, and I can understand it.

I worked forever on my Everquest Bard, attending raids, earning levels, gear, etc. If someone else can just pay money to get an equal character, it cheapens my effort. It's why eBay characters are looked down on. You didn't earn the character you're playing.

Not saying that mentality is right, or healthy, but it exists.

MormaPope

Banned
Probably because GTA is written by a bunch of cocks that aren't actually funny when it comes to satire or parody. They just go for lame cliches and jokes other people have been making for years.

Like what? Can you point out many instances like that in GTA V or past GTA's or are you just spitting venom for no good reason?

Some people are only willing to grind out in a game if the grind is the identifier of time investment. In other words, lots of people don't want to sink 100 hours into an online grind to earn money that someone can just spend the real cash to equally achieve. It cheapens the effort for those gamers, and I can understand it.

I worked forever on my Everquest Bard, attending raids, earning levels, gear, etc. If someone else can just pay money to get an equal character, it cheapens my effort. It's why eBay characters are looked down on. You didn't earn the character you're playing.

Not saying that mentality is right, or healthy, but it exists.

I get your stance, though I'm not ready to write off every game just because it contains monetization without seeing what that entails. If GTA Online allows people to "buy" game money, and that allows them to buy the same guns, cars, properties, ect...that I can buy by actually playing the game, having fun and earning money that way, more power to them. That won't turn me off at all. If there are special, more powerful or effective weapons, cars, properties that are only purchasable online, then I might have an issue. I'm just going to wait and see.

BigDug13

Except you're only buying money. You have to rank up to purchase equipment(From what I've read), please continue to jump to conclusions though.

Ranking up gives you the access to buy the equipment. The in-game money is what you will use to actually buy it once you've unlocked the tier.

So with real cash, you can still roll into every match arriving in a nice armored vehicle or aircraft of some kind, fully decked out in armor and guns with all attachments that you can get at your tier, and have a large garage of armored cars at the ready.

It still cheapens the experience for the people attempting to earn that stuff.

PureGone

Banned

From IGN:

Rockstar said that "refining open-world multiplayer into something really special" had been a huge focus in the development of GTA 5.

Yes i would think that Online would be a big part if i read that and many many other quotes like it from rockstar. They were hyping up GTA Online to be a big thing, people would have payed $60 just for it and i know people who have.

Chucker

Ranking up gives you the access to buy the equipment. The in-game money is what you will use to actually buy it once you've unlocked the tier.

So with real cash, you can still roll into every match arriving in a nice armored vehicle or aircraft of some kind, fully decked out in armor and guns with all attachments that you can get at your tier, and have a large garage of armored cars at the ready.

It still cheapens the experience for the people attempting to earn that stuff.

Right, after you rank up. That's going to take a while for most people. Or you could just run over to the military base and steal a fighter jet to deal with the people who have them.

MormaPope

Banned
It's not fake, it's on Rockstar's server. :p

You're right, the reddit post says the console requests the file when you go to the store tab.

The only thing this makes me worry about is the stock market. I'm going to need the GAF Street crew as a whole to invest in certain stocks, take out certain companies. The most crime committed by GAF Street will be white collar crime.

BigDug13

Right, after you rank up. That's going to take a while for most people. Or you could just run over to the military base and steal a fighter jet to deal with the people who have them.

It's going to be interesting to see if all that same stuff will be readily available on the online game without buying it, such as fighter jets sitting on runways.

BigDug13

What made you think they would be different?

Because unlike other AAA studio games that are struggling, they made $1 billion in like 5 days. They don't "have" to attempt to milk customers when the game is going to generate even more billions in sales plus whatever actual content DLC they come up with. Milking us only sours people on your brand and your studio and in this instance, it's unnecessary since the game is wildly successful and is making quite a few executives very rich.

BigDug13

Trevor has like a 150+ mil in his bank account, I don't think money is gonna be a problem. He makes millions so easy.

How does money carry over exactly when each character has their own? The fourth character slot on the bottom is supposed to be your online character who will have his own bank account. So how do you transfer money from Trevor or Michael to Online-dude?

Most likely it's a separate bank account.

MormaPope

Banned
Holy shit.

Yes, buying cash means it goes straight into the bank account. BUT anything they buy such as jets or cars can probably be stolen. Rockstar themselves have said you need to keep an eye on your own stuff or even hire people to watch it for you.

The duder that buys a million dollar jet might not have it when GAF Street rolls on by, and if duder buys multiple cars or jets with real cash its time for large scale heists.

I'm actually hoping now real cash can be used, just to grief the fuck out of people. If real cash is in, and you can steal what they buy, its time to do some scores.

EDIT: I don't know if it would be against Microsoft's/Sony's TOS, but holding a jet or vehicle ransom for marketplace currency would be hilarious. My god, stealing some kid's jet or tank and making them pay up would be glorious.

Top Bottom