• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

venne

You can't really tell watching a movie or playing a game. It's all about text. It also depends on how far you hold your phone from your face. It's also one of those things that isn't that noticeable in and of itself.

Take the new iPads for example. You can't tell the iPad 2 is really a big step down until you put it side by side with the iPad 3.

Biggest problem is some of the newer hyped WP7 stuff like both the Titan and Titan 2 are like a full inch bigger than some of the new Nokia stuff. Considering WP has one standard resolution and on smaller devices an inch difference is a big deal.

Honestly my 4" focus has a ppi of 233. It's not as good as the 3.5-3.9" phone stuff, but it works. Going to something of the 4.3 or 4.7 variety though really makes a noticeable difference in text.

Pentile doesn't help the Focus with text.

I haven't seen the Focus S, but I'd bet it looks a lot better even though it's larger with a lower PPI.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I haven't seen the Focus S, but I'd bet it looks a lot better even though it's larger with a lower PPI.

I went from a Focus to a Focus S. The SAMOLED Plus on the S is far superior, no doubt. In terms of pixel density, even on my 4.3" screen, I don't mind the resolution. I'm not looking for pixels, and it just doesn't bother me. Between the screen on my S and the tiny ass screen on the iPhone 4S, I'll take my bigger screen. I definitely can see how nice the 4S screen is in terms of sharpness and no jaggies, so its not like I'd turn down a higher res screen for my next phone, it just isn't the biggest factor for me when picking a phone. Also, its one of those things that some people REALLY notice, and others not so much, like the whole Pentile argument.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

True, but I wasn't really going into screen types.

Honestly I don't notice it much unless I'm reading a ton of text and browsing the web. Even then on my 4" phone I don't notice it to much. I notice it more on my GF's Inspire since her phone is a tad bigger at the same res, and I noticed it a lot more on the HTC Titan I messed around with at the MS store a few months ago.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
thank you.

Not really. It just shows how great the phone looks, not how well it preforms.

No, putting the lumia next to those other boring looking black slabs will really sell the platform plus they did a great job with nailing the MC Hammer dance. Toss in the cuteness factor and you have a winning ad.

So I've had my Phone 7 for a while, and don't really care much about apps and things.

BUT I really want to play Words With Friends. Is that possible using WP7?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
People always bitch about this, but it's not like you have to keep the same phone for 3 years.

I'm on my 3rd phone in a little more than 4 years on Rogers (all on "3 year contracts"), and I'm eligible for upgrade now so I might pick up the 900 to replace my Focus.

I was thinking about that too. I'm sure a lot of the people who are into smartphones and who bitch about the 3 years never keep the same phone for that long.

Probably going to replace my Focus as well.

Black-Box

People always bitch about this, but it's not like you have to keep the same phone for 3 years.

I'm on my 3rd phone in a little more than 4 years on Rogers (all on "3 year contracts"), and I'm eligible for upgrade now so I might pick up the 900 to replace my Focus.

except when you are on a different company. I would have to buy out my phone to be able to get the 900

ElNino

except when you are on a different company. I would have to buy out my phone to be able to get the 900
Well yes, that is an exception for sure. Personally, I've never changed cell providers so I don't worry about buying a phone from a different provider.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed on the Rogers website they have removed the Focus. Also the price of the Lumia 710 outright is now $230....who needs the 610 at that price! Granted the design of the 610 is nicer. I really hope the pricing of the 900 is that aggressive, but I doubt it.

I'm deliberating between the Lumia 800 and 900. How big is the 900 compared to the Galaxy Nexus? I the Nexus is WAY more phone than I need.

Plus, it appears Rogers is only selling the 900 in black...ugh

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm deliberating between the Lumia 800 and 900. How big is the 900 compared to the Galaxy Nexus? I the Nexus is WAY more phone than I need.

I would be pretty surprised if they didn't have the Cyan model. I do not want the black one.

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god

Hx8QR.jpg
Z8lHc.jpg

We all know that back when the Nokia and Microsoft partnership was announced, Nokia was given special rights to alter the user interface as they saw fit. At least with the current Lumia devices, we didn't see much of a redesign at all, however we have recently come across some work by one of Nokia R&D's senior graphic designers (who has also worked on the Nokia 808 PureView) that clearly shows at least some one at Nokia was considering a complete redesign of Windows Phone.

xuSyd.jpg
WBn9h.jpg

DwzKq.jpg

This particular designer was transferred from Nokia to Accenture in September of 2011, so it's very likely that she is no longer working on Windows Phone UI designs since Accenture is the company that Nokia is now outsourcing all of their Symbian related work to.

So it would seem that Nokia's Chief Technology Officer is not interested in altering Windows Phone's user interface experience at all. Though these concept images certainly indicate that Nokia may have actually been thinking about redesigning Windows Phone at one point.

We thought we'd reach out to both Microsoft and Nokia to see if they had anything to say about this. Microsoft officially told us that they had not previously seen these designs and they are not currently working with this designer. Our Nokia contacts looked into the matter for us and their response was that these concept mockups "are purely her own personal design explorations and were never part of any project being done at or for Nokia."
http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/nokias-complete-redesign-of-windows-phone

Phew.

Please, Nokia, don't even think about touching Windows Phone's Metro. Windows 8 is already bad enough, keep your terrible UI crap to Symbian.

Vanillalite

The thing is the 900 has LTE. The 800 doesn't. If you are going to use LTE get the 900. If not I'd personally rather just get the 800, and it'll probably be cheaper.

kazinova

I take better designed craps that those few images. Wow, I would be depressed if that was the direction that Nokia took WP7 for their phones. I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole in that condition, compared to reality where I'm desiring a Lumia 900 like you wouldn't believe.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
The thing is the 900 has LTE. The 800 doesn't. If you are going to use LTE get the 900. If not I'd personally rather just get the 800, and it'll probably be cheaper.

about 70$ cheaper atm. but thats because its on sale, normally its 50$ on 3yr plan. more good news, the reviews of the 800 on the telus website have been mostly positive.

ElNino

LTE however also has more expensive data plans (about double for me) and more limited coverage. From what Rogers coverage maps shows, I would only be able to get LTE while at work and (possibly) during my commute but not at home. Considering the price differences ($50 vs $25) I would very likely only use my normal 3G for either the 800 or 900.

That being said, I don't know if I want a smaller screen size than my Focus so the 900 looks more appealing to me.

Vanillalite

LTE however also has more expensive data plans (about double for me) and more limited coverage. From what Rogers coverage maps shows, I would only be able to get LTE while at work and (possibly) during my commute but not at home. Considering the price differences ($50 vs $25) I would very likely only use my normal 3G for either the 800 or 900.

That being said, I don't know if I want a smaller screen size than my Focus so the 900 looks more appealing to me.

You could always wait it out till Apollo. Do you have to get a phone now? I still have my focus, and I see no reason to upgrade to a non Apollo phone.

*Posted from my focus while I'm waiting for the Dr. to see me*

ElNino

You could always wait it out till Apollo. Do you have to get a phone now? I still have my focus, and I see no reason to upgrade to a non Apollo phone.

*Posted from my focus while I'm waiting for the Dr. to see me*
No, I don't have to get a new phone now. It's more a matter of taking advantage of my yearly hardware upgrade benefit. To be honest though, I probably won't until there are better deals on the phone I do decide to get... as in free. ;-)

Vanillalite

No, I don't have to get a new phone now. It's more a matter of taking advantage of my yearly hardware upgrade benefit. To be honest though, I probably won't until there are better deals on the phone I do decide to get... as in free. ;-)

There are some good deals at least on Amazon in the US for a penny phone. Still nothing worth cashing your upgrade in on.

Honestly unless you need a phone right now I wouldn't suggest anyone to buy anything right now on all platforms. Better off waiting for this years new crop that'll start hitting in Q2.

Lesiroth

So around how much will the Lumia 900 cost unlocked on release? I'm seriously considering getting one when it's out and selling my Atrix, kinda tired of Android and I'd rather not go iPhone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh wow, I seriously can't believe how easy it was to update to 8107 (the keyboard fix update). Of course, I have a Chevron unlocked phone, but if you do, don't hesitate, it's as easy as upgrading to the Mango beta last year.

No more disappearing keyboards, WOOHOO!!!!

ScreenCapture12.jpg

And yes, brot, I know you told me this months ago. I just needed to get pissed off enough at the disappearing keyboard to go through with it. Hopefully my wifi is improved as well, I had been having issues where if I lost wifi, it also killed my 3g/4g signal.

Klocker

Oh wow, I seriously can't believe how easy it was to update to 8107 (the keyboard fix update). Of course, I have a Chevron unlocked phone, but if you do, don't hesitate, it's as easy as upgrading to the Mango beta last year.

No more disappearing keyboards, WOOHOO!!!!

ScreenCapture12.jpg

And yes, brot, I know you told me this months ago. I just needed to get pissed off enough at the disappearing keyboard to go through with it. Hopefully my wifi is improved as well, I had been having issues where if I lost wifi, it also killed my 3g/4g signal.

which method did you use plz?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
which method did you use plz?

I followed the instructions from here: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2012...l-out-started-get-it-now-and-update-manually/

Standard warnings apply: You need an unlocked phone, this could brick your phone, this could make you lose all your settings and data, this could turn out really bad for you etc. etc.

I went from 7720 to 7740, then to 8107, and now I'm flashing the language pack because my phone app doesn't work. All the links are there. As always, proceed with caution or wait until (if?) At&t decides to release the update.

Klocker

I followed the instructions from here: http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2012...l-out-started-get-it-now-and-update-manually/

Standard warnings apply: You need an unlocked phone, this could brick your phone, this could make you lose all your settings and data, this could turn out really bad for you etc. etc.

I went from 7720 to 7740, then to 8107, and now I'm flashing the language pack because my phone app doesn't work. All the links are there. As always, proceed with caution or wait until (if?) At&t decides to release the update.

thanks was glad to see another Focus S go well. will do as I'm getting tired of waiting for ATT. Am unlocked on 7720.68

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
you mean developer unlocked, right?

my phone isn't unlocked and I used this method just fine.

Your phone isn't developer unlocked? I thought this method required a dev unlocked phone, it would be awesome if it didn't since Chevron isn't selling any more tokens.

ronito

So I just picked up an SGH-i677. I got tired of fighting my iphone.
So is there any point in jailbreaking this thing? Is the homebrew scene worth getting into or is it just a bunch of crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom