• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

Tan

Every time this thread is bumped my heart skips a beat, then I get disappointing.
There isn't even a release year, right?

Kouriozan

Everytime I see this thread in the first page, I hope it finally got a release date </3
Still nice to get info though.

Edit : x)

Retro

From Twitter
Spending the day making terrain gen even more interesting. Got stuff like this so far.
Pc7Q1Xc.jpg

o0jdsfT.png

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
In other news, the game has already been confirmed for OUYA. It's a shame Starbound probably won't make launch though.

That tweet is old news (Dec 19), and the tweet only states that the Chucklefish devs WON a Ouya Dev Kit, not that they're commited to putting the game on the Ouya.

Last thing we heard, was that Tiy was playing around with the dev kit, and that's about all the Ouya news concerning Starbound that we're aware of.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
And as if I don't get enough joy making people suffer...

Samurai armor is nice. Spiky vines. Oooooh.

I'm kinda starting to notice that we haven't seen a lot of wielded weapons that AREN'T guns.

Also a little humor from Tiy:

[11:02pm] Random_Guy: hey Tiy!

[11:02pm] Tiy: yo

[11:02pm] Random_Guy: in your own words, how far along is the game?

[11:02pm] Random_Guy: gimme a percent

[11:02pm] Tiy: its gabe newell :)

I'm kinda starting to notice that we haven't seen a lot of wielded weapons that AREN'T guns.

Yeah, we really haven't even heard too much since they were talking about doing different animations.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The original post on procedurally generated weapons had several swords, but that was a long time ago.

That's pretty much what I meant. All we've been seeing lately are guns.
Makes you think that the late game weapons are mainly guns.

And I think we've kinda had the conversation before of guns vs swords, so no arguments of which is better, just pointing out that there's a severe lack of choppy choppy swingy swingy weapons.

Retro

Sorry to bump the thread, but there's a little news;

@Tiyuri
So many people asking me for a release date this week. We're making good progress guys and pretty much all the major things are done. . . but there are still a lot of small details to add and I don't want to attempt to estimate an accurate release window

&#8207;@Lithen1
Can you confirm 2013? :)

@Tiyuri
yes

@benrenatus
How much time will you give us before releasing the game? Will you tell us the release date a month before, or two weeks before, etc

@Tiyuri
as soon as I'm 100% sure what the release date is

@Tiyuri
We're not that far away. Be patient with us and we'll deliver something worth the wait.

That's good news for those of us worried about feature creep; "All of the major things are done" sounds like a step in the right direction. "We're not that far away" makes me wet.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Two bits (although considerable "bits") of Starbound related info, incoming...

The TL;DR version: Pretty much most of the main stuff is done. They're just tweaking it, essentially. Tiy points out that he didn't go Minecraft route, and just release early and just fix things along the way (which is essentially what Terraria did too, but he's too nice to mention it) Since this game involves exploring a "universe", its gotta be big (in content), so that's what they're working on.

The other piece of info... CRAFTING SYSTEM SCREENS

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but looking at that screen, LEVEL would suggest to me that there's some sort of RPG XP grind mechanic going?

Special thanks to Retro for finding the info. He'd post it, but he didn't want the usual rage/crying to be directed at him, when he bumps the thread.
On the other hand, I do enjoy the pain and suffering of others, so I'm more than happy to bump this thread... again.

COMMENCE WITH THE TEARS AND BEGGING!

Retro

From Twitter;
&#8207;@StarboundGame
Chronicle Readers-- the newsletter will be sent out next week rather than tomorrow...for reasons!

This, on the heels of them asking what a fair price for a preorder would be... so... ready your "It's fucking nothing" and "It's happening!" gifs for next week.

balddemon

Banned
From Twitter;

This, on the heels of them asking what a fair price for a preorder would be... so... ready your "It's fucking nothing" and "It's happening!" gifs for next week.

ntAI91b.gif

after playing terraria quite a bit on pc lately, I am getting this game solely for the ability to walk up 1 height blocks.

edit: and after trying for an hour to play multiplayer with my friend, I'm getting it to play multiplayer with my buddy lol.

Retro

One of the moderators at the Starbound forums said "I can tell you that it's not the release date." No surprise there, but maybe something about the roadmap to completion they keep saying is coming.

Also, if there is news, they may have put it off for fear of it being misinterpreted as an April Fools joke.

after playing terraria quite a bit on pc lately, I am getting this game solely for the ability to walk up 1 height blocks.

edit: and after trying for an hour to play multiplayer with my friend, I'm getting it to play multiplayer with my buddy lol.

The next Terraria PC update ("End of May" is all we know now), you can walk up 1 height blocks too.

Retro

Oh well, Starbound had a good run.

Heh, nah. Terraria seems to be concerned with a down-to-earth approach with multiple biomes and such, while Starbound is focused on lots of unique planets with their own sort of atmosphere / weather / biome. Considering the split between Tiy and Redigit seems mutual and friendly, I wouldn't be surprised if they purposely avoid stepping on each others' toes.

Retro

From Twitter:
@StarboundGame
Whoa guys, the Chronicle isn't being delayed because of the release date. Sorry! But I hope you'll find the reason pretty exciting anyway!

Start of Beta? An official trailer? A big reveal of something?

Twinduct

Am I the only one that playing Edge of Space while waiting for this to release?

Been trying to, but it feels way too early for the game at this stage. Also I can't really find the 'logical' path in the game.

The latest update does help a bit though.

Retro

Only confirmed versions are Windows, Mac and Linux. Chucklefish has said they have an Ouya development kit, but that's as far as that goes. No comment on console/handheld versions. I imagine Terraria's success (or lack thereof) on the console/handheld scene will drive their decision.

Youtube: Starbound - Showing off our weapon sounds!

I want an option for these sounds! This shows off a few of their weapons, if you don't care for the joke. Also looks like all guns use your energy bar instead of ammo. Don't remember if that was known before.

When's release, I want beta, etc.

Pretty sure that's a new feature. At least I remember seeing ammo in a screenshot not too long ago. I also think it's a great idea.

Flamethrower was awesome, and no damn melee weapons shown at all. :/

Exuro

I've been craving for a beta/early access of this for a while now. Good to know they're on their way to get it finished this year.

Nohar

nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

What? I like what's going on that moon! The cake is a lie.

Oh well, it's not a release date, but it's still nice of them to share that with us.

Paskil

I really like the looks of this game. I have yet to play Terraria. There were a few times I was tempted to get it on PC a while ago, and now the PS3 launch has also been enticing me as well. I'm holding out for the Vita release.

Glad to see this is coming this year, definitely getting good vibes.

Top Bottom