• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch Company Claims it Owns No Man's Sky World Generation Formula [they don't]

I feel so sorry for Hello Games. They're just a small, innocent indie studio dealing with one of the most anticipated games of the year, they don't need this shit.

Durante

Its a division between hard and soft math. If the math can be done on paper it can't be patented. If it requires a computer to do the math it can.
You do realize how ridiculous the idea of such a distinction is?

as I understood from one of the informatic law courses I had in college, a program can be patented, a mathematical algorithm can't
That doesn't make much sense, since a program is an algorithm and an algorithm is a program.

Wulfram

The algortihn generates shapes. Probably very distinct shapes.
It is possible they found a lot of the shapes they saw in NMS to be identical to what their formula generates.

That the game uses their "superformula" has been reported for a while, its not a secret.

When Murray wasn’t being pulled away from his computer, he worked on the terrain. He told me that he was always searching for ideas. Last year, he saw the film “Interstellar,” which features scenes of a lifeless snowy planet that “had some very perfect ‘mathlike’ terrain.” The next day, he developed formulas that would create similar crevasses. More recently, he had noticed geological formations that an artist had hand-designed for another video game, and realized that the algorithms of No Man’s Sky were not equipped to make them. The problem nagged at him, until he found an equation, published in 2003 by a Belgian plant geneticist named Johan Gielis.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/18/world-without-end-raffi-khatchadourian

Costia

That's not how stuff works in relation to what class of business they are. :)
Also, I'd love to know where you're getting the information that Sony would have any say in a third party's compliance law? Seriously, I'd love to know where you're getting that information.
That's why my post says "as far as i am concerner" and not "legally speaking".
I think that trying to portray this as a company that is tryng to prey on a smaller company is very missleading, since the smaller company is backed by a huge corporation.

As far as the case itself, I can't pick a side.
But i see a lot of people here rushing to support NMS.
Maybe they don't understand that a single formula can be somebody's life's work. And that NMS might be using it for profit while actively ignoring the creator.
The legal side of this doesn't intrest me that much, and personally I don't think it will hold up in court.
And there is also the possibility NMS is using a different formula.

legacyzero

Banned
Can you mother fuckers please leave Hello Games alone? Its bad enough they had to right copyright trolls over a fucking 3 letter word. Now they have to answer to this dumb shit?

Aters

If they just want money, they'd wait till the game actually comes out and makes money. I don't remember any patent troll jumps out before a big hit even happens. Right now I will wait and see. If the formula is patented, they are only right to protect their property. Also I find the title quite improporaite.

Also, the "you can't patent math" argument is simply not true. You certainly can patent an algorithm. It's not a natural thing that "just sits around waiting to be found", it is created and implemented by human hands, like all other intellectual properties.

Well looks like Sean Murray openly stated that they are using the Superformula created by Johan Gielis who at least partially founded Genicap. And the focus of that company is to work on technological implementations of that formula. So I guess it all depends on how valid this patent is and if patenting the technological implementation of a formula makes it magically different than patenting the formula itself. At least from their current position inquiring about what Hello Games precisely did doesn't seem too far out of line.

F-Pina

I hate these patents.
You can't create something nowadays without tripping on some stupid bullshit.
I am always afraid with my company projects to trip on some name, patent or something and go down because of that.

Oppo

if I'm not mistaken, a patent is specifically about implementation, is it not? So even if they are using a similar origin, the hello games implementation is what counts for patent purposes.

you can't patent an idea. just a method or implementation.

WinFonda

they settled to use the word Sky in their title so these trolls are probably just taking a shot at a settlement of their own. Sony's pretty heavily invested in this (and getting it out) so you never know.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
1. Its not copyright
2. You don't have to be a US citizen to register a patent in the US

That is not what he asked.

He asked if they have a patent in their own country, would it apply anywhere else in the world? And if so, how does that country enforce it upon another country's citizen/group?

He asked if they have a patent in their own country, would it apply anywhere else in the world? And if so, how does that country enforce it upon another country's citizen/group?
Yeah, this is what I meant.

For example, their patent for the use of the Superformula in a program shouldn't be valid in the United States.

Costia

He asked if they have a patent in their own country, would it apply anywhere else in the world?
AFAIK No. Had a few lectures on the subject. You need to patent your device in any country that you want to sell it in, if you want to prevent it from being copid.
I asume the dutch company did register it in the US and a few other countries as well.
And if so, how does that country enforce it upon another country's citizen/group?
The country where it was registered will enforce it within it's own territory. (Except china that doesnt care I guess)
Yeah, this is what I meant.
For example, their patent for the use of the Superformula in a program shouldn't be valid in the United States.
Their dutch patent won't be valid in the US. But their US patent will be valid in the US.

You do realize how ridiculous the idea of such a distinction is?

That doesn't make much sense, since a program is an algorithm and an algorithm is a program.

Where'd you get that idea? That's no where near being true. A program = implementation of an algorithm. That can vastly differ. It's like saying a recipe is a dish and a dish is a recipe, ignoring the ingredients, skill of the chef, cooking environment/tools, etc

LordRaptor

Also, the "you can't patent math" argument is simply not true. You certainly can patent an algorithm. It's not a natural thing that "just sits around waiting to be found", it is created and implemented by human hands, like all other intellectual properties.

Except most countries patent law specifically excludes mathematical equations from being patentable.
But then computer software started making money.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
AFAIK No. Had a few lectures on the subject. You need to patent your device in any country that you want to sell it in, if you want to prevent it from being copid.
I asume the dutch company did register it in the US and a few other countries as well.

The country where it was register will enforce it within it's own territory. (Except china that doesnt care I guess)

Their dutch patent won't be valid in the US. But their US patent will be valid in the US.

That is what I figured. And I was just about to mention China, but you beat me to the punch. Thanks for confirming my assumptions on this.

Wut?
So the teams working on AAA games are guilty? and guilty of what then?
@___@

Guilty for having their huge legal teams being inept in these situations? ;)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I feel so sorry for Hello Games. They're just a small, innocent indie studio dealing with one of the most anticipated games of the year, they don't need this shit.
Wut?
So the teams working on AAA games are guilty? and guilty of what then?
@___@

It's bullshit anyway. So many titles and engines, especially those related to AI, are built on previously established algorithms and formulas. Hell, software development as a field has only progressed by building on previously realized algorithms

Nokterian

Man hello games never can get any rest...i just want this game to be out there they had a hard already now this blatant stuff is coming there way.

Handy Fake

Found a US patent that appears to be related to this company: https://www.google.com/patents/US7620527

The bottom is interesting:

Jun 28, 2013 REMI Maintenance fee reminder mailed
Nov 17, 2013 FPAY Fee payment
Year of fee payment: 4
Nov 17, 2013 SULP Surcharge for late payment
Mar 15, 2015 AS Assignment
Owner name: GENICAP BEHEER B.V., NETHERLANDS
Free format text: ASSIGNMENT OF ASSIGNORS INTEREST;ASSIGNOR:GIELIS, JOHAN LEO ALFONS, MR.;REEL/FRAME:035168/0026
Effective date: 20141020

Durante

Where'd you get that idea? That's no where near being true. A program = implementation of an algorithm.
Ok, so you can patent one particular implementation of an algorithm? What, then, constitutes an implementation? Is it the specific source code in one specific high-level language? Is it the binary sequence for one particular processor architecture? If I change the name of a variable or a function, is it still in violation of the patent? What if I change the operand order of some commutative operations?

If all of that is still in violation, then what you are actually patenting -- regardless of what you call it -- is an algorithm, not an implementation. If it isn't, then the whole system is completely useless. That's why for the purpose of this discussion an algorithm and a program are functionally equivalent.

ClearData

It reads to me like this Dutch company is trying to get Hello Games to consent to letting them sniff around their source code under the guise of legal inquiry when they are most likely trying to steal Hello Games's intellectual property. The Genicap spokesman basically admitted as much in that interview, except he gave it the quaint term of "trading knowledge" when they are trying to build their own game. What naked opportunism.

Handy Fake

It reads to me like this Dutch company is trying to get Hello Games to consent to letting them sniff around their source code under the guise of legal inquiry when they are most likely trying to steal Hello Games's intellectual property. The Genicap spokesman basically admitted as much in that interview, except he gave it the quaint term of "trading knowledge" when they are trying to build their own game. What naked opportunism.

SnCcn5m.gif

JP

That's why my post says "as far as i am concerner" and not "legally speaking".
I think that trying to portray this as a company that is tryng to prey on a smaller company is very missleading, since the smaller company is backed by a huge corporation.
Dear me, if only you'd read my first post properly.

I'm would have been happy to have a conversation with you but when every single one of your replies is based on something that I've never said, which I keep pointing out to you, it's literally of no value to me to reply to you after this post having tried to help you.

I honestly don't think that I can make it any simpler for you than I'm making it to in this post. If you do want to keep posting what you are posting, I have no issues with that but there is no point in quoting me when you do so as that infers that you replying to me my posts when when from the content of your posts, you clearly aren't.

I don't really have anything else to say.

So tit for tat then.

Nokterian

Holy shit if that is true trying to troll them and steal there code in the process pathetic.

ClearData

I just finished watching Silicon Valley and this feels like a situation that would be in the show.

That's exactly what happened in the show. Except the Pied Piper guys just foolishly walked in and gave a presentation on their algorithm that was then copied. At least Hello Games isn't falling for the same trick being facilitated through dubious legal tactics.

Wulfram

That's exactly what happened in the show. Except the Pied Piper guys just foolishly walked in and gave a presentation on their algorithm that was then copied. At least Hello Games isn't falling for the same trick being facilitated through dubious legal tactics.

What's dubious about seeking to enforce a patent you own on a thing you invented?

Elandyll

Banned
With a quick look, it appears that the superformula is already used in applications out there including GNU ones?

Wouldn't Genicap have to explain why they did not go after every single application (free or not) of the superformula out there before getting on Hello Games' case ?(hence why companies often defend their IP even in the case of fan art/ nonprofit use).

Top Bottom