• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

I think the lesson they will learn from this will be be quite the opposite of your expectations. They will try not to make an expensive to produce console in the future, as the costs are not covered by the games sold even on current install base.

I don't get it though! The GC was definitely in the same power field as the PS2 and Xbox, and while it didn't sell well at all, it had an attach rate of an insane 9.59, plus did end up being profitable for Nintendo. They can have power and still make money!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
All I said is that they need to target 3rd parties if they want to fill in their gaps and I would think preventing Wii U level delays should be one of Nintendo priorities going forward.

Sorry. I thought you were the delusional other poster.

Yes. I agree with you. 3rd party is the answer but that boat has sailed on WiiU and I don't expect any big third party to be champing at the bit when Nintendo releases their next bit of hardware.

Sandfox

I don't get it though! The GC was definitely in the same power field as the PS2 and Xbox, and while it didn't sell well at all, it had an attach rate of an insane 9.59, plus did end up being profitable for Nintendo. They can have power and still make money!

The Gamecube had the GBA holding it up.

Yes. I agree with you. 3rd party is the answer but that boat has sailed on WiiU and I don't expect any big third party to be champing at the bit when Nintendo releases their next bit of hardware.

There is no way the Wii U is getting 3rd party SW and I think if Nintendo wants 3rd party support for their next platform they'll have to take the initiative in some way.

Shiggy

I put together this graph and tweeted it. It shows that while Nintendo's year has been horrible, it's barely made a dent on the overall income it's gathered over the past three decades.

BnBQ9tDCMAAkKCJ.png:large

Based on this, the claim that Nintendo could last for decades more making similar losses is certainly a realistic one.

I think NeoGAF is the first place where cumulative net income is a relevant factor lol

The Wii U hardware forecast is pretty ambitious. I doubt that they can achieve that without a price cut. Mario Kart 8 might be their last hope, Smash Bros certainly isn't as much of a seller as some people make it out to be. While it sold incredibly well on the GCN, it underperformed on the Wii - making NoE sell off its copies to a low budget distributor, a first for that publisher. It will do well with the folks who bought the currently available Wii U titles, but it won't do a any magic numbers.

Why do you think this? The PlayStation brand has been much more successful than Nintendo's.

When you add up total consoles sold:

NES (62m) +
SNES (49m) +
N64 (33m) +
GCN (22m) +
Wii (101m) =
267m total over five consoles and 30 years
(avg. 53.4m per console, 8.9m per year)

vs.

PS1 (102m) +
PS2 (155m) +
PS3 (80m) =
337m total over three consoles and 19 years
(avg. 112.3m per console, 17.7m per year)

That's a gap of 70m consoles, even with two extra consoles and a 11 year headstart.
The lowest selling PlayStation outsold every Nintendo console except for the Wii.

Nintendo's actually on par with Microsoft:

Xbox (24m) +
360 (84m) =
108m total over two consoles and 12 years
(avg. 54m per console, 9m per year)

Needless to say, PlayStation is on a different level than both Nintendo and Xbox.

Edit: This isn't including the Handheld market, I should add. Only home consoles.

I think it was mostly from a financial health point of view. Sony's about to keel over and Nintendo is sinking pretty fast. Microsoft on the other hand, well they COULD easily withstand a bad situation for their console business, but from the sounds of it, the idea of spinning the Xbox division off seems to be gaining more support around there if some threads around here are to be believed.

Oh, yay. I'm guessing the graph that sums net profits is up next?
You might think the fool is a fool. The fool could be thinking the same about you.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to defend anymore or whether you're simply trying to be contrarian. What part of: "It doesn't matter what the fool thinks, it doesn't change that his opinion is wrong." do you not get.

watershed

Banned
It costs more money to make a more powerful console these days and development costs would go up as well. Games also take longer to make. We've already seen how Nintendo has struggled with hd development for the Wii U. How would it look if they were developing for the PS4?

AniHawk

I think NeoGAF is the first place where cumulative net income is a relevant factor lol

The Wii U hardware forecast is pretty ambitious. I doubt that they can achieve that without a price cut. Mario Kart 8 might be their last hope, Smash Bros certainly isn't as much of a seller as some people make it out to be. While it sold incredibly well on the GCN, it underperformed on the Wii - making NoE sell off its copies to a low budget distributor, a first for that publisher. It will do well with the folks who bought the currently available Wii U titles, but it won't do a any magic numbers.

it will only be good for the system in that nintendo can have something to push during the holidays, and it's a multiplayer family game and it's new. that's pretty much it. i think it has wider appeal than 3d mario at least.

I put together this graph and tweeted it. It shows that while Nintendo's year has been horrible, it's barely made a dent on the overall income it's gathered over the past three decades.

Based on this, the claim that Nintendo could last for decades more making similar losses is certainly a realistic one.

But the cost of development and time to develop a title has been increased compared to past, so we can't predict the future based on the past completely due to the huge competition(in casuals category from Indies and mobiles platforms) and decline in Gaming (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814237) which is the only big business Nintendo relies on. Lets see what is their new QoL platform.

HUELEN10

Loyalty to a company is a fool's errand.
That statement is irrelevant. As I said in that post, I'm not talking about fanboyism and whatnot, I am simply stating that it feels totally bogus that they did not increase their essentially "guaranteed buyers" by even a little bit, hell by the end of the 8th gen we might have found out that those numbers are down. It just seems bogus, that those that buy Nintendo hardware are dying, as in there's no growth, even with the 7th gen success. It just seems totally bogus. Usually it doesn't happen this way in toys/electronics, but here we are.

The fact of the matter is, the ONLY place to see Mario, Link, Samus, Mike Jones, Little Mac, DK, and Olimar is on Nintendo. Are the people who like and buy these literally dying off? Have they really completely failed in attracting any new fans? I am not saying this is the case, but it feels like Star Trek franchise in the late 90s-early 21st century all over again (where the fandom numbers were actually, literally dying off).

It costs more money to make a more powerful console these days and development costs would go up as well. Games also take longer to make. We've already seen how Nintendo has struggled with hd development for the Wii U. How would it look if they were developing for the PS4?

In my mind, beautiful. They care about 60fps, so if they kept the polygon/texture detail around the same (maybe spruce it up a bit), and that lighting, they could hit true 1080p60 every time and it would be MAGICAL

AniHawk

I think it was mostly from a financial health point of view. Sony's about to keel over and Nintendo is sinking pretty fast. Microsoft on the other hand, well they COULD easily withstand a bad situation for their console business, but from the sounds of it, the idea of spinning the Xbox division off seems to be gaining more support around there if some threads around here are to be believed.

all hail our amazon overlords

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
if Nintendo wants 3rd party support for their next platform they'll have to take the initiative in some way.

I think if Nintendo want 3rd support for their next platform they are going to have to pay the developers to do it.

Man looking at that makes me sad. It really feels like aside from the Wii they have no real place in the market anymore. I hope their next console bounces back for them.

Yeah except for the massive sales of their portables, their million selling console exclusives, and you know, that thing called the Wii. But yeah, totally, they're completely doomed this time for sure.

Nurgtrad

Neo Member
i Thought, 3,6m forecast is too high, if they didn't have a plan.

Smash and MK8 not will grow up sells very much, really, who want's to play this games actually have a WiiU.

¿We can expect a bomb in the next E3?¿Something not filtrated yet?

p.s. PKMN MMO for WiiU it's, probably, the best card they have and, i don't knwo why, but they didin't have the intention for made it

AniHawk

In my mind, beautiful. They care about 60fps, so if they kept the polygon/texture detail around the same (maybe spruce it up a bit), and that lighting, they could hit true 1080p60 every time and it would be MAGICAL
you know that's just a fantasy right. and i don't even mean it in the snide 'i'm glad your dream is one that won't ever happen,' but in the realistic sense that it's just something you want and not very realistic.

bananas

Banned
That's conveniently ignoring handhelds though, which is half (or more) of what makes Nintendo such a household name. You can't just focus solely on consoles as if that's the only thing that counts when it comes to gaming.

I added GB/C (119m), GBA (82m), and the DS (154m) to Nintendo's list and the PSP (80m) to Sony's and Nintendo wins on total sold (roughly by 205m units), but Sony wins on average per console (104.3m vs 77.8m) and per year (22m vs 20.7m)

Of course I'm not including current gen sales. The Wii U and Vita probably weight down the averages, while the 3DS and PS4 help.

That's what saddens me the most. What about loving thier exclusives, what about loyalty? I am NOT talking about fanboyism, I am talking about that many people, buying that many Wiis, and being able to immerse themselves into that much Nintendo exclusivity, only yo ignore their next offering? I mean, it's almost bogus to even consider! It's as if those that bought a Wii U didn't give 2 shits about Nintendo. I am not saying that is or isn't the case, but it just feels totally unreal.

I don't give 2 shits about Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft as companies. I follow the games. Nintendo only has one exclusive I want and that why I own their console. I've tried a couple of their other exclusive and they range from men (TW101) to Shit (ZombiU)

The only Nintendo published title that I think I will like is Mario Kart (with the sound effects off).

Company loyalty is for fools. Be loyal to your own needs and wallet.

That's what saddens me the most. What about loving thier exclusives, what about loyalty? I am NOT talking about fanboyism, I am talking about that many people, buying that many Wiis, and being able to immerse themselves into that much Nintendo exclusivity, only yo ignore their next offering? I mean, it's almost bogus to even consider! It's as if those that bought a Wii U didn't give 2 shits about Nintendo. I am not saying that is or isn't the case, but it just feels totally unreal.

If ever there was proof that people bought the Wii for Wii Sports and then got other Nintendo games for light entertainment then it is the Wii U. The console has had the same Nintendo games as the Wii and completely failed to follow up the huge sales. It doesn't have Wii Sports though. Wii sports sold the Wii not Mario and other Nintendo titles.

MarkusRJR

The audience Nintendo brought in weren't really traditional gamers. It's one of the reasons for the insane growth last generation. These people bought it for Wii Sports and Wii Fit, then maybe bought NSMB or Mario Kart due to playing it at friend's place or hearing about it from family. My tech illiterate aunt has both a DS and Wii. Both of these went into the closet after getting sick of them. Now she plays simple free games on her iPad and iPhone.

In other words, the audience never bought the Wii for traditional Nintendo content in the first place.

HUELEN10

There is no way the Wii U is getting 3rd party SW and I think if Nintendo wants 3rd party support for their next platform they'll have to take the initiative in some way.
Didn't they try to push 3rd party software by pushing it with the launch window of the 3DS? Didn't they do the same for Wii U to an extent (Rayman being delayed really killed momentum)? They can't show too much initiative either, it's bitten them in the ass too many times before.

cyberheater

Yeah except for the massive sales of their portables.

Sales of 3DS are relatively poor and the attach rate for software is appalling. Not exactly what you or anyone would call "massive sales". LOL.

JordanN

Banned
Then Nintendo have terrible workflows. If they're stupid enough to struggle making games again, then they have no future in gaming.

Even the idea of struggling to make Wii U games is stupid. There's so much documentation out there for PS3/360 development, how did Nintendo turn a blind eye to it to this day? You really have to go out of your way to fail at game development, in 2014.

Shiggy

it will only be good for the system in that nintendo can have something to push during the holidays, and it's a multiplayer family game and it's new. that's pretty much it. i think it has wider appeal than 3d mario at least.

Haha, "new" ;)
It might have more appeal to the teenage boys, but family wise a beat-em-up does have less appeal than a 3D multiplayer Mario. And unlike the GCN, the Wii U does not even appeal to teenage boys anymore.

3.6m Wii U's is a vastly over inflated estimate.

They won't meet it.

They're expecting it to be up YoY by 900k, with all the fierce competition they'll get. I think it will barely make it due to MK8 and a holiday pricecut. Wii U is sandwiched between last gen and PS4/Bone.

SmokyDave

That statement is irrelevant. As I said in that post, I'm not talking about fanboyism and whatnot, I am simply stating that it feels totally bogus that they did not increase their essentially "guaranteed buyers" by even a little bit, hell by the end of the 8th gen we might have found out that those numbers are down. It just seems bogus, that those that buy Nintendo hardware are dying, as in there's no growth, even with the 7th gen success. It just seems totally bogus. Usually it doesn't happen this way in toys/electronics, but here we are.

The fact of the matter is, the ONLY place to see Mario, Link, Samus, Mike Jones, Little Mac, DK, and Olimar is on Nintendo. Are the people who like and buy these literally dying off? Have they really completely failed in attracting any new fans? I am not saying this is the case, but it feels like Star Trek franchise in the late 90s-early 21st century all over again (where the fandom numbers were actually, literally dying off).
The people that gave them crazy success last time around perhaps weren't what you would consider 'Nintendo fans'. They were perhaps cats that wanted to play Wii Sports and Brain Training. Of course, those people bought a lot of other titles, but they evidently didn't get hooked enough to want more. The traditional Nintendo fan has been a dying breed since the NES, looking at the figures.

AniHawk

Sales of 3DS are relatively poor and the attach rate for software is appalling. Not exactly what you or anyone would call "massive sales". LOL.

the attach rate isn't too out of line with handhelds, actually. if they hit their projections then it'll put it closer to the 4-5 attach ratio handhelds usually get, and only increase as hardware sales decrease.

the one odd man out for all major handheld systems was the ds. hitting 6 games per system was monstrous.

Oh, yay. I'm guessing the graph that sums net profits is up next?
I'm not even sure what you're trying to defend anymore or whether you're simply trying to be contrarian. What part of: "It doesn't matter what the fool thinks, it doesn't change that his opinion is wrong." do you not get.
There is nothing for me to "get" here and I dont know why you are telling me like I am supposed to.

Taker666

An obvious thing Nintendo could do to get more support would be to drop 3rd parting licensing fees entirely for the first 12-18 months of the platform (for retail releases at least)..maybe extend it further for exclusives.

It's not going to cost Nintendo that much in revenue in the early days..and it's a nice sweetener to encourage early support at least.

lefantome

Wow a disaster for Nintendo, the only point of light were Pokemon X&Y sales.

I wonder if this year will be another loss, there doesn't seem to be anything to invert the trend.

Some Nobody

That's what saddens me the most. What about loving thier exclusives, what about loyalty? I am NOT talking about fanboyism, I am talking about that many people, buying that many Wiis, and being able to immerse themselves into that much Nintendo exclusivity, only to ignore their next offering? I mean, it's almost bogus to even consider! It's as if those that bought a Wii didn't give 2 shits about Nintendo. I am not saying that is or isn't the case, but it just feels totally unreal.

Did you really not see this coming? The Wii had a cute gimmick, people bought into it. But to think they'd be back for Nintendo's next offering never made any sense.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People keep saying how Nintendo is gonna restructure and do something fresh but all I see and get is the same old Nintendo approach to things. If they were really forward thinking they would embrace social media and sharing, engage with their customers like Sony do and give us what we want. Nintendo is still being ruled by the ivory tower in Kyoto, if Nintendo is still trying to chase the casuals like they did with Wii U, they will fall hard again.

For such huge changes, it takes quite some time to see their effects on the market. Especially considering how we're talking about something they're aiming for their next hardware line, and not the current one.

...But if you think forward-thinking as embracing social media and sharing...err, what about the fact they use their Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/whatever pages costantly? Or how they're heavily improving with Nintendo Directs since the beginning of last month, making them more crazy/funny/entertaining to watch while being informative? What about their E3 plans, too?

And if you think forward-thinking as pricing policies, check out all the news about games getting price cuts on eShop and at retail, bonuses for those who buy games on eShop, Mario Golf and its season pack while being priced much lower than other 3DS titles, etc.etc. It all happened since the beginning of April, and it involved also titles not even one year old (like Animal Crossing, DKCR3D and W101), so it's not just Nintendo "being slow to adapt since they're only now changing prices", but it seems more like an overall policy change.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wii U Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      3.06     0.39      3.45     3.45

FY 2013/14     0.16     0.30     1.95      0.31        2.72     6.17

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2012/13       -        -      11.69    1.73      13.42    13.42   

FY 2013/14     1.03     5.27      9.66      2.9       18.86    32.28

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49      7.76        0.59     11.65    43.33

Software       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11      -        -         -      9.43      9.43     9.43

FY 2011/12     4.53     3.60     19.91    7.96      36.00    45.42    

FY 2012/13     7.39     11.64    20.53    10.05     49.61    95.03

FY 2013/14     11.01    16.37    29.87      10.64       67.89    162.92

shit, half of their LTD was at launch. Been on life support ever since

Even the idea of struggling to make Wii U games is stupid. There's so much documentation out there for PS3/360 development, how did Nintendo turn a blind eye to it to this day?

External documents probably are not consulted very often, outside of training seminars. At least from my experience in working with Japanese businesses. Especially if it's largely in English, which I've heard is a big problem for software usage across a few tech industries.

watershed

Banned
44 million is not relatively poor no matter how hard you try to spin it.
It is poor given their historical sales per platform in the same market in previous generations. Even if the 3ds ends up around 60 million units sold, that's a huge fall from the ds, gba advance, and Game Boy numbers.

How long will Iwata remain CEO?

I don't really expect this to impact his tenure. He (somehow) managed to keep his head out of the guillotine when he showed up to their last earnings call and out-and-out admitted he'd been feeding investors fairy tales and bullshit for the better part of two years; if they didn't make a push to oust him then, these completely predicted losses aren't likely to have much of an impact.

I mean, just for reference, while this is bad it's not in any way unexpected. He basically told investors this was going to happen, so the fact they didn't bin him then means they presumably won't do it now. Presumably, he gets to roll out his vision for the QoL platform before people start throwing tomatoes.

(Or possibly get the boot in a few months time if it turns out he still has nothing to show either in QoL or turning around the company's games business. I'm still not entirely convinced that everything from their prior earnings call wasn't just stall tactics from him, so he'd damn well better have used the time it bought him to pull some miracles out of the usual place.)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Different times. Different buying habits. Mobile gaming has created the expectation of cheap games. People are waiting now for sales. And I think the GC was not expensive to produce.

That's what saddens me the most. What about loving thier exclusives, what about loyalty? I am NOT talking about fanboyism, I am talking about that many people, buying that many Wiis, and being able to immerse themselves into that much Nintendo exclusivity, only to ignore their next offering? I mean, it's almost bogus to even consider! It's as if those that bought a Wii didn't give 2 shits about Nintendo. I am not saying that is or isn't the case, but it just feels totally unreal.

Loyalty really isn't a big factor outside of realms of hardcore fans of a company. Lots of people that liked the PS2 switched to the 360, a lot of 360 gamers switched to PS4. It's nothing new or unusual.

HUELEN10

Did you really not see this coming? The Wii had a cute gimmick, people bought into it. But to think they'd be back for Nintendo's next offering never made any sense.
Honestly, the fact that Mario Kart on Wii sold over 35 million units and that NSMBW, a core Mario game sold 28.65 million units (more than either Wii Fit version, or Wii Play) kinda made me think that they at least had some core exclusive-title growth that would stick around. Obviously, it appears I was mistaken.

cyberheater

44 million is not relatively poor no matter how hard you try to spin it.

It's not great. And the attach rate is poor. Less then 4 games per unit.
Sales of 3DS are already in decline in JPN and mostly likely will peak in the US and Europe this year. Not exactly stellar.

I think Little Big Planet also over 5 million (last i heard 4.5 at gamescom 2010 from sony), so three new IP's Uncharted, Last of US and Little big planet are over 5 million in PS3, unlike Nintendo uses popular old franchise for their 5 Million sales. Playstation also helps 3rd parties to reach 5 Million sales but nintendo systems never helps them to get similar sales.

I got to say thats quite impressive. Playstation managed to create 3 new IP's that sell 5 million+ in one generation.

Nintendo should look into this with the WiiU or future generations, unless something like the Wii happens and they hit a goldmine of new IP's.

JordanN

Banned
External documents probably are not consulted very often, outside of training seminars. At least from my experience in working with Japanese businesses. Especially if it's largely in English, which I've heard is a big problem for software usage across a few tech industries.
Can't they hire translators?

The future of the company hinged on making games, that everyone was doing for 6 years. I can't take the claim serious "we seriously have no idea how to make PS3 graphics in 2014".

The world doesn't stop for Nintendo.

No one in this threads thinks WiiU will beat GC numbers.

The question is: can they make Wii U into a profitable platform, just like the GC was profitable even though it had a small install base.

Is there any proof the Gamecube was a profitable platform? Nintendo as a whole was profitable during that time because of the help of the GBA.

It's not great. And the attach rate is poor. Less then 4 games per unit.
Sales of 3DS are already in decline in JPN and mostly likely will peak in the US and Europe this year. Not exactly stellar.

I'm pretty sure sales have peaked in the US and Europe as well. Even with a revision later on the year, if they continue to be down YoY it will be hard to make up the difference.

Sandfox

I think if Nintendo want 3rd support for their next platform they are going to have to pay the developers to do it.

I don't think paying for it is the right approach because then publishers would start expecting that to be the norm. It really depends on what type of platform Nintendo goes for but assuming they wanted to get into the mainstream gaming market they would need to make some that appeals to gamers, create games in the more popular genres to attract fans of said genre and then Nintendo could possibly to give devs some sort of incentive to develop for their platform in case they aren't willing to test the market.

you know that's just a fantasy right. and i don't even mean it in the snide 'i'm glad your dream is one that won't ever happen,' but in the realistic sense that it's just something you want and not very realistic.

You asked a rhetorical question, I gave a fantastical answer.

I'm not even on camp "Nintendo go third-party," I was just imagining what Nintendo on PS4 would be like in my dreamiest of dreams

JoeM86

Can't they hire translators?

The future of the company hinged on making games, that everyone was doing for 6 years. I can't take the claim serious "we seriously have no idea how to make PS3 graphics in 2014".

The world doesn't stop for Nintendo.

That is the west exaggerating things. Nintendo never had "trouble" with HD development. All that happened is that they underestimated the extra work required. The internet, especially here, has exaggerated that issue.

Look at Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 for example. Evidence that they don't have trouble with HD development.

BnBQ9tDCMAAkKCJ.png:large

About half of that income go for dividends (Nintendo is a company that always give 40%+ of their income as dividens). Add R&D, share buybacks etc and the actual figure is much lower.

Top Bottom