• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

Mercutio

I can't seem to find anything about this, but:

I cannot for the life of me get two of these things running in Neo Geo games.

The controller registered as 1 works fine, but the other simply doesn't work in Neo Geo software. This is odd, because every other game I've got both work flawlessly.

Hasney

The controller registered as 1 works fine, but the other simply doesn't work in Neo Geo software. This is odd, because every other game I've got both work flawlessly.

Not sure what to say. Plug in a Switch controller and see what options have been selected? because if they're setup as d-pad to move, then they will need to be changed to the left stick as that's what the d-pad is recognised as. I just fired up Metal Slug 3 last night and it was great out of the box.

Mercutio

Not sure what to say. Plug in a Switch controller and see what options have been selected? because if they're setup as d-pad to move, then they will need to be changed to the left stick as that's what the d-pad is recognised as. I just fired up Metal Slug 3 last night and it was great out of the box.

Are you using two though? That's my issue.

One works fine, with no problem. Two simultaneously? One isn't recognized, but ONLY in the ACA Neo Geo software. It's still connected, but the button presses don't do anything in-game.

I should also note that it's still operating properly in the Switch's OS itself; pressing DOWN + SELECT on the otherwise non-functional controller pulls up the home screen and can navigate there properly.

Hasney

Are you using two though? That's my issue.

One works fine, with no problem. Two simultaneously? One isn't recognized, but ONLY in the ACA Neo Geo software. It's still connected, but the button presses don't do anything in-game.

I should also note that it's still operating properly in the Switch's OS itself; pressing DOWN + SELECT on the otherwise non-functional controller pulls up the home screen and can navigate there properly.

Not two at a time, but having one in the second slot behind my Pro seems to work?

This is amazing news. Going to update my controllers and try this out right away.

Tried this in Samurai Showdown 4, Puyo Puyo Tetris and Wonder Boy with my SF30, this is so great. I may actually consider getting USF2 - well, maybe when the price is lower.

I just tried pairing two of these, one after the other, and it works fine.

Ii2skJ6l.jpg

N30RYU

i02bYc1.jpg

My two new NES30 Pro controllers just arrived.

Paired all the controllers at the same time just to test if they all work great.

I just hope nintendo won't update/fix the 8bitdo support.

Piers

Tempted to get one, maybe an NES controller, just for Crimson Clover.
But the fact I can use it in future for the Switch is great.

Manac0r

Wow ordered a SF30 yesterday, arrived today and total bliss. There is something about the buttons and d-pad that just takes me back. Also have a pro version with analogue sticks on the way. Now have four controllers for mario Kart at a very reasonable price. Totally worth a punt if you on the fence!

i02bYc1.jpg

My two new NES30 Pro controllers just arrived.

Paired all the controllers at the same time just to test if they all work great.

I just hope nintendo won't update/fix the 8bitdo support.
Oh dang that would be such a shit move. I hope they don't as well.

I have 2 FC30 Pro. One connects just fine. The other controller will not connect no matter what I do. Both are updated to the latest firmware.

dolabla

Just received my SFC30 controller. Everything went perfect. This is amazing! Playing MK8 with an SNES controller. I really hope Nintendo doesn't develop any plans to ax this. This is a god send for virtual console, fighters, side scrollers, etc.

fernoca

So...any guide for dummies to update one using Raspbian/Pixel/Jessie or through an Android device? Or just not possible?

Don't have a computer.

N30RYU

What's your opinion on the NES30 Pro?

It's really good. For the prize of the regular pro controller you have two. the L1/L2 and R1/R2 placement are a bit akward but you get used to it.
The d-pad on games like puyo puyo tetris or neogeo games like metal slug or KoF works like a charm. I might get an sfc30 one later on.

Oh snap, you have the JoyCon gip things? How do you like them?

They are the Duo Grips Gioteck (a cheap plastic ones). I have big hands and if I play long periods of time with a joy-con in tablet mode my hand gets really tired in about 40min and with a grip it feels more comfortable for long sessions.
Now I'll be using the nes30pro all the time unless I play in portable mode, that's for sure

N30RYU

Nice, don't know if I should get SNES or a PRO version.

If you don't have an official pro controller I would go for the nes30pro one... since the sfc30 one don't have analogs, and the L2 R2 L3 R3 buttons

I will get an sfc30 one for some specific games, but for the majority of the games the nes30pro is better since it's only lacking the amiibo reader and the movement sensors of the official one for half the $

Experien

If you don't have an official pro controller I would go for the nes30pro one... since the sfc30 one don't have analogs, and the L2 R2 L3 R3 buttons

I will get an sfc30 one for some specific games, but for the majority of the games the nes30pro is better since it's only lacking the amiibo reader and the movement sensors of the official one for half the $

Ooops, total space-out.

Meant design of the classic nes or famicom but definitely the PRO.

aechris

If anyone is on the fence, this thing is the REAL DEAL.

Picked up a SFC30 and Puyo Puyo Tetorisu is GLORIOUS.

Don't hesitate! Buy buy buy!

This works perfectly for me, that said I've only been able to test it with shovel knight.

I am now so tempted to grab Wonder Boy and Blaster Master.

I was wondering why the Down + Select for Home wasn't working on the NES30 Pro. Turned out it was a quick tap of the controller's power button for Home, or a quick tap of the pairing buttons for screencap. That solves that.

So does the 4.0 firmware update kill all compatibility with iOS?
iOS only ever used iCade keyboard protocol, and not many games supported that. But if you really need it you should stick with the legacy 8bitdo firmware. I guess you could swap between both firmware, too?

E-flux

I just ordered two of these, the nes dualstick one and a snes controller, how do you sync the controllers with switch?

I just ordered two of these, the nes dualstick one and a snes controller, how do you sync the controllers with switch?
Hold Start + Y and enter the Switch pairing screen. The light will flash blue and then you can pair with L+R. They are seen as Pro Controllers.

Do both of the SNES ones work, the US purple coloured button one as well as the JPN/EU style coloured buttons?
Yes, I have both and they work identically (see post 209).

dock

Oh, awesome! Is there any lag?

I wasn't satisfied with the lag when using the 8bitdo SFC gamepad on my Surface Pro 4, but I wasn't sure whether that was something to do with the bluetooth on the PC.

This makes me feel extra salty about Blaster Master's pixel scaling being so busted on the Switch.

molnizzle

Nice, don't know if I should get SNES or a PRO version.

I went with the SNES version since I already have a Switch Pro controller. For any game that requires analogs I'm just gonna use that since the ergonomics are so damn great. The 8bitdo is for d-pad games and virtual console.

Top Bottom