• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how about that heatwave this week in California?

It was hot as f in the bay yesterday. 103F and it felt terrible. Not a full dry heat at around 30-50% humidity since we've got this big ass ocean bay over here, but it's not like it's east coast humid where ur walking in molasses.

I hate the heat. Thank God it was only one extreme day for us bay folk. I feel bad for the people inland. They get 100's on the regular in the summer.

Sulik2

It's fucking insanity here. I just didn't turn off the air conditioning all weekend. Basically I've had it on for 4 straight days. Going outside at midnight and it being like 80 degrees is insane.

Welcome to how most of the rest of the world lives in the summer. California's year round amazing temperatures most of the time make me so jealous.

Souzetsu

Lots and lots of AC wherever I can get it.

My parents' AC just died on them yesterday. I feel so bad for them! It's already 82F (28C) here at 9 am. This week is going to be hell.

Zenner

SoCal Gaf here - I just spent the weekend installing heat-control window film on all my windows that get direct sunlight, on both sides of my house. This stuff blocks 70% of the sun's heat - (you can see outside just fine, but from outside the windows do look like mirrors.) At any rate, it's made a huge difference already, and will mean less work for the central AC. Something for people to consider, anyway, to help deal with that heat.

wutwutwut

Welcome to how most of the rest of the world lives in the summer. California's year round amazing temperatures most of the time make me so jealous.
The problem is that because of the nice weather, many homes don't have air conditioning.

Still nice in SF.

I stepped out of the my house yesterday at 7pm and it was still 100 degrees

Fuck this weather. My AC is on full blast and I’m paying dearly for it but when the thermostat reads over 90 you have to

I moved this past weekend. It was only in the high 80s, but it was also 90%+ humidity and storming every hour or two. Not fun climbing in and out of a U-Haul with furniture.

In Sacramento here, the highs I can live with, it's the overnight "lows" that stay in the upper 70s that I hate. Can't even go outside for a nice breeze, it's stifling.

MindofKB

Planned on taking my dad and father-in-law wine tasting yesterday. We pulled up to the winery, got out of the car, and got smacked in the face with 103 degree heat. So much for those plans, R.I.P.

SoCal Gaf here - I just spent the weekend installing heat-control window film on all my windows that get direct sunlight, on both sides of my house. This stuff blocks 70% of the sun's heat - (you can see outside just fine, but from outside the windows do look like mirrors.) At any rate, it's made a huge difference already, and will mean less work for the central AC. Something for people to consider, anyway, to help deal with that heat.
Thanks for sharing. Reviews look legit.

Raiku

Ughhh :mad:

lBgKR0G.gif

Can confirm, it's hot. Kind of figure the state's fire departments are sweating bullets right now. Lots of bone dry vegetation after getting a normal amount of rain for the first time in five or six years.

see5harp

No thanks.

I've lived all over the country, including places where it's in the 90s for 3 months straight, and <75 is my ideal.

75 is great don't get me wrong, but when I'm at the beach I do actually like a little sunshine and some heat. Mid 80's is great for the beach.

StoneFox

Even if it's a "dry heat", it's still completely awful. I had to prepare my car by getting some towels to sit on and turning it on and letting it idle to cool down with the AC. 115+ in any humidity level is killer.

Escaped the heat of my hometown by going North for a while, but when I called home for Fathers Day, Dad says they basically won't leave the kiddy pool they bought and placed in the shade.

A friend of ours also installed tinted windows on the entire side of the house that gets sun and says it helps a great deal.

You don't think it's dangerous until it's too late. I went out for a bike ride years back and suddenly woke up on the side of the road. Don't know how long I was laying there in the sun after fainting.

jyoung188

110+ all week here north of Sacramento. My fucking swamp cooler isn't cutting it. What really sucks is that it's not cooling off at night. When I left for work this morning (6:40am) it was already 82 deg......

StoneFox

Ok.. I find those 100-120 F forecasts really scary...

That's legit dangerous temperatures
Every summer here you see on the news of a handful of people dying due to the heat. Especially the elderly, who may just be outside watering their plants or something.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's been pretty miserable for me. The highest it's supposed to get this week is 105 here in the IE. It's already 85 atm. &#128553;

Ashhong

I'm so confused. Here in OC it's high 70s, low 80s all week...

Coming back from EDC at Vegas where it was over 100 all weekend this is a godsend\

edit: ah jk, the weather changed to high 80s, low 90s. Still not too bad

Aranath

I feel your pain here in Seville, Spain. We got up to 50c/122f in the sun over the weekend. Shit's cray. God bless AC.

Nekofrog

Banned
108 up here in yuba City. Air conditioner was on like 20 out of every 24 hours. It's insane because a couple weeks ago we had a freak cold snap with hail that accumulated for almost 6 hours.

Escondido is hot as fuck. I basically sit in front of my AC unit I bought last summer. Does it cool the whole house? No... Not even close, but it's better then nothing. First time I put my girl to sleep in just a diaper, seemed to hot to throw on anything else

ShowDog

As a lifer from Cali, this "heat wave" really isn't a thing. It was mid 80s yesterday, and even 90 something in socal is really just dry heat. A fan, some shade will do nicely but of course sitting in an AC cooled house is always best.

Everything always seems to be so dramatic.. HEAT WAVE!! Oh, wait.. todays high is Orange County is 88 degrees. This is the kind of weather people move here for lol

The coast is pretty fantastic and I'm looking forward to the high 80s and low 90s. Going 30 miles inland is another story, you're at 100+ over there.

The biggest concern for California as always in these heatwaves is forest fires. I fear that we're going to be following in Portugal's footsteps as the average temps continue to rise.

Top Bottom