• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how about that heatwave this week in California?

Nephtis

It was motherfucking 121 degrees in Tuscon today. Went through on a road trip. The 30 seconds I had to spend outside going from the car to Starbucks was an absolute hellscape furnace of pain.

Welcome to our slightly higher than average temperature day in Tucson :p

gimmmick

IMG_1318_zps36oektdr.jpg

We tied for our hottest day ever yesterday at 117 in Las Vegas.

Kup

I enjoy hot weather, sure.

But when it's 35°C in London with high humidity, I want to die. You always get someone who says "Oooh isn't it a lovely day, so nice".

No.

Markoman

The highest outside temperature I've ever experienced was 41C. It was hell.
So let me guess, without ACs most of CAL would be a uninhabited place, right?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
31C is a heat wave? Please, add about 50% more humidity in there

If you're talking about that pic in the OP, that was at like 8 AM in the morning. Not even close to the high for that day.

Are you admitting you don't fully read OPs before replying?

Y7OW8Xp.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Death-Valley-heat-woman-burns-feet-desert-high-11234063.php

A heat warning issued by Death Valley this week includes news of a woman who suffered third-degree burns after walking about a half-mile on hot sand in June. The unnamed woman lost her sandals in Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes, and required ambulance transportation to a hospital after her walk.

"The temperature of the sand was not recorded, but touching a 120° F surface for over five minutes can cause burns of that severity," the release reads. "Ground temperatures are generally significantly higher than official temperatures, which are recorded about 4 feet off the ground in the shade. Ground temperatures over 200° F have been measured in Death Valley. To put that in perspective, 160° F is sufficient to cook meat."

Abby Wines, a spokesperson for the park, says that she's never heard of anyone burning their feet like this in the park in the 12 years she has been working there.

"Every summer we have at least a few days that are over 125," Wines said. "Maybe a few summers it will reach 129. Not every summer."

The park's record was reached back in 1913 when the high soared to 134 degrees.

That high has even come close to being beat, as Wines says, "We haven't been above 129 since hitting that record."

ReAxion

kissed 103F at lunch today.

The highest outside temperature I've ever experienced was 41C. It was hell.
So let me guess, without ACs most of CAL would be a uninhabited place, right?

only the south eastern portion, which is the mojave desert. not like how people say all of socal is a desert (it's not, just the desert part is).

Weather alert for tomorrow said 109

Also fucking hell at the lawyer who died during the 5K. I signed up for a 5K in late July, hopefully it won’t be so goddamn hot by then

In Los Angeles. Not too bad but I know it's gonna get worse. I'll take a thunderstorm over this bullshit any day. ;_;

I should move north west... 🤔

darklin0

Banned
Power went out in my neighborhood at around 2 pm. It was close to 104F at that time.

I laid down on the tile floor for about 4 hours, I was ready to call it quits, due to the temperature inside starting to get to the mid 90s, when the power came back and saved me.

I wish is was raining again, I miss it so much.

Power went out in my neighborhood at around 2 pm. It was close to 104F at that time.

I laid down on the tile floor for about 4 hours, I was ready to call it quits, due to the temperature inside starting to get to the mid 90s, when the power came back and saved me.

I got a news alert about a power outage for a ton of homes in my neighborhood (Citrus Heights) but luckily it didn’t hit me or I would have been in the same spot. Don’t know what I would have done

I went to La Jolla yesterday because the local news said inland was going to be in the mid-90s.

It was 70ish at the beach and cloudy, the water was almost too cold to swim in. lmfao

I came home today to 91 in my apartment. Even with the window AC, a large fan and two ceiling fans, I can only keep it in the mid to upper 80's during the daytime and lower 80's at night.

My car AC needs a recharge though. It's like a furnace blasting when I first get in. It does start to cool if I drive on the highway or park it in the shade for a while.

Its miserable.

One of our local attorneys died after running a 5k in yesterday's heat. Guys, please, for the sake of yourself and others, do everything in your power to stay out of the heat and stay hydrated.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/bakersfield-attorney-benjamin-greene-dies

What he posted on his FB is pretty damn heartbreaking.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-21%20at%2010.00.13%20AM_1498064436936_61558436_ver1.0_640_480.png

Very sad...but also very dumb. A fucking marathon in over 100 degree weather? It doesnt take a rocket scientist to tell you this is a bad idea.

f0nz0

It's time like this where solar panels make sense.. but then other other 8-9 months of the year say "nah sun" hueheue

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's time like this where solar panels make sense.. but then other other 8-9 months of the year say "nah sun" hueheue

Solar panels work a lot better than you think they do.

Chumley

Banned

Why would anyone go to Death Valley in the summer? Honestly.

One of our local attorneys died after running a 5k in yesterday's heat. Guys, please, for the sake of yourself and others, do everything in your power to stay out of the heat and stay hydrated.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/bakersfield-attorney-benjamin-greene-dies

What he posted on his FB is pretty damn heartbreaking.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-21%20at%2010.00.13%20AM_1498064436936_61558436_ver1.0_640_480.png

Again... why? Why would he do that?

bronk

Banned
Just spent most of the week at the beach. Got a nice tan. Also it's raining on me right now in the LA port...random!

Top Bottom