• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

So someone finally made an Atari 2600 emulator. I'm still kinda surprised these games haven't shown up on VC for two bucks a pop or something.

Other than being a pretty straight PC port made to work with very few buttons, this seems to work pretty well. Trying to navigate through the Options menus I could get stuck by trying to mess with drop-down menus. Another weird thing to keep in mind is that once the program is running, the lights on your wiimote stay off. I thought none of my wiimotes would connect for a while.

TunaLover

JoshuaJSlone said:
So someone finally made an Atari 2600 emulator. I'm still kinda surprised these games haven't shown up on VC for two bucks a pop or something.

Other than being a pretty straight PC port made to work with very few buttons, this seems to work pretty well. Trying to navigate through the Options menus I could get stuck by trying to mess with drop-down menus. Another weird thing to keep in mind is that once the program is running, the lights on your wiimote stay off. I thought none of my wiimotes would connect for a while.

Nice!, I have good memories playing games like Xevious and Centipede =) Never understood AtaWii, I´m a fair noob in the system.

d+pad

I've been using the Homebrew Channel and some of its related apps for a while, but there's still one thing I'd like to do and I'm not sure how to do it. Hopefully someone here can help? (Oh, and by the way, I'm using a 3.3U Wii.)

What I'd like to do is find a way to go onto the Japanese shop so I can buy and play WiiWare/VC games that have yet to be released in NA (and likely won't be). Does AnyRegion Changer allow you to do this? If so, has anyone here tried it - and can you offer any advice, suggestions, etc? It seems a bit more work (and worry) than adding the Homebrew Channel, etc., and I don't want to brick my system just to get a few games. Of course, I don't want to buy a Japanese Wii just to play these games either :D

Linkhero1

Bizzyb said:
yea I ended up finding it myself, but thanks, to both of you. So do I just save this to my SD card and then open it from my Wii system menu...?
If you have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii. Simply put the IOS51 and Wii Shop Installer folders in your App folder on your SD Card. Then access the Homebrew Channel and find the installers. Install them and you're done.

If you use Tona's installer I believe both IOS51 and Wii Shop installer are in the same program, so there should be one folder and not two separate folders.

Christine

DavidDayton said:
Not that scratched, but I dislike buying disks with ANY scratches, and it seems like with all the little pirates out there, there is surely SOME way to verify that a disk is readable. The only problem is that I'm not sure if there is a way to do that short of actually copying a Wii disk to your hard drive.

David, I suggest downloading save files from various points in the game and testing as much of it as you can that way. www.wiisaves.com has a fair selection of RD saves, I'm sure there are other sources out there too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Bizzyb said:
It would have been more helpful if you gave me the direct link instead of the link with a thousand options and possibly the need to click more than one link....

Sorry. But that's not the kind of website I surf from the office. I just happened to have the main URL memorized, and figured that you wouldn't have too much trouble finding it yourself. If nothing else, a test! If you're not savvy enough to find the app you need, you probably shouldn't be dicking with your console! ;p

For what it's worth, I was rooting for you! :D

I've had the Homebrow channel installed for some time and I also have the Nintendo Channel installed. Is this a problem? Should I get rid of the Nintendo Channel?

Bizzyb

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
If you have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii. Simply put the IOS51 and Wii Shop Installer folders in your App folder on your SD Card. Then access the Homebrew Channel and find the installers. Install them and you're done.

If you use Tona's installer I believe both IOS51 and Wii Shop installer are in the same program, so there should be one folder and not two separate folders.

did that. I downloaded Tona's version and then unzipped the folder and then copy and pasted it's contents into the apps folder on my SD card but they did not show up in the homebrew channel

edit: would the installers be readily available to see like the other apps (i.e. Gecko, Tetris, Mplayer, etc) or do I click on something else?

edit: nevermind, I got! :) Thanks to all for your help!

edit: dammit, I thought I had it. :( I placed the unzipped InstallshopIOS51 folder in my apps folder on my SD card but for some reason it did not show up on my HBC. So what gives? Am I supposed to place the InstallshopIOS51.dol file in the apps-->di folder of my SD card and then install it from the last app on the HBC named "apps/di/boot.dol" ? I kinda forgot where exactly I am supposed to install it from.

Bizzyb

Banned
I believe the problem is that it does not come with a meta.xml file so it does not show up as an icon in the HBC menu, like all of my other apps... Any advice?

Bizzyb

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
It should work even without that. Make sure you don't have more than one .dol or .elf in one folder.

here's the thing, every folder in the apps folder has both an icon and meta file but the wiishopIOS51installer folder does not have either one. So how exactly am I supposed to be able to see and run it from the HBC? I can see every other app on the HBC but I cannot see the IOS51 Installer app. I do't see how I can physically launch the installer once I start HBC if it does not show up with the rest of my apps

markatisu

Bizzyb said:
here's the thing, every folder in the apps folder has both an icon and meta file but the wiishopIOS51installer folder does not have either one. So how exactly am I supposed to be able to see and run it from the HBC? I can see every other app on the HBC but I cannot see the IOS51 Installer app. I do't see how I can physically launch the installer once I start HBC if it does not show up with the rest of my apps

So just create a meta file, you can seriously duplicate one from the other folders and edit it in a text editor to say WII SHOP or something

Same with the icon, none of that is tied directly to the apps programming. Its all sort of just window dressing for the HBC

Bizzyb

Banned
markatisu said:
So just create a meta file, you can seriously duplicate one from the other folders and edit it in a text editor to say WII SHOP or something

Same with the icon, none of that is tied directly to the apps programming. Its all sort of just window dressing for the HBC

Ok so how would I go about editing the text? I have never used a text editor before. Isn't it supposed to originally come with a meta/icon file because aren't those needed to actually see the app from HBC?

edit: I think this may be a lost cause. A friend of mines who has a version of the installer with all of the icon, meta and boot.dol files in the folder sent me a copy of it. Just to be on the safe side, I took out every folder in the apps folder and booted up the HBC. As expected, nothing showed up. So I placed the homebrew browser folder back in there as a test, and as expected it showed up in the HBC. So I removed the homebrew browser folder and replaced it with the Tona Instal folder and unfortunately nothing showed up. Yep that's right, nothing. It was the same as when I took everything out of the apps folder. The only thing on the screen was the blue background with the bubbles that pop when you touch them.

So I guess for whatever reason my HBC will simply not read the Tona Instal app. BTW I am using ver 3.2U of the firmware but I doubt that would have any implications in the matter.

CTLance

BizzyB:

Make sure you're using the most up-to-date HBC and shopinstaller (etc). Please, make doubly sure that all your files are up-to-date. The newer HBCs do not run older boot.dol's, so you need to be really really really sure you have the correct version of the updater, not the older one.

Remove your gamecube memcard, if present.
Backup, then reformat your SD card (or use another one).
Be sure to unmount the SD card correctly after copying the files.

You only need a file layout like this:

(SD card)\apps\Shopinstaller\boot.dol
(SD card)\apps\Shopinstaller\meta.xml

Heck, it should work (and show up) with only the boot.dol present. Leave the SD card empty otherwise.

If you still want to go with the meta.xml thing, just open notepad (not write, not openoffice, just good old notepad from your Start menu) and paste the following into it:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">
<name>Shopchannel updater</name>
<coder>tona</coder>
<version>v1</version>
<release_date>2008</release_date>
<short_description>This updates the shop channel and IOS. Run once, then remove.</short_description>
<long_description>Read the appropriate wiibrew.org page on what this does and why you would need it.</long_description>
</app>
Then choose File->save as... and MAKE SURE you "save as type "All Files (*.*)". Just navigate wherever you need and name it properly: meta.xml, not meta.xml.txt.

Anyway, if you can't for the life of you get it to work, start the HBC, press Home, memorize the IP address that is shown in the upper right corner, exit that menu, go to your PC, and use WiiTCPLoadGUI, sendelf, or wiiload (comes with the HBC). Try the TCPload one first, the interface is self-explanatory. You choose a boot.dol file, input your Wiis address (from before), wait a few seconds, and the HBC asks you if you want to run the boot.dol on your Wii. No need for an SD card. No need for anything else.

Bizzyb

Banned
CTLance said:
BizzyB:

Make sure you're using the most up-to-date HBC and shopinstaller (etc). Please, make doubly sure that all your files are up-to-date. The newer HBCs do not run older boot.dol's, so you need to be really really really sure you have the correct version of the updater, not the older one.

Remove your gamecube memcard, if present.
Backup, then reformat your SD card (or use another one).
Be sure to unmount the SD card correctly after copying the files.

You only need a file layout like this:

(SD card)\apps\Shopinstaller\boot.dol
(SD card)\apps\Shopinstaller\meta.xml

Heck, it should work (and show up) with only the boot.dol present. Leave the SD card empty otherwise.

If you still want to go with the meta.xml thing, just open notepad (not write, not openoffice, just good old notepad from your Start menu) and paste the following into it:

Then choose File->save as... and MAKE SURE you "save as type "All Files (*.*)". Just navigate wherever you need and name it properly: meta.xml, not meta.xml.txt.

Anyway, if you can't for the life of you get it to work, start the HBC, press Home, memorize the IP address that is shown in the upper right corner, exit that menu, go to your PC, and use WiiTCPLoadGUI, sendelf, or wiiload (comes with the HBC). Try the TCPload one first, the interface is self-explanatory. You choose a boot.dol file, input your Wiis address (from before), wait a few seconds, and the HBC asks you if you want to run the boot.dol on your Wii. No need for an SD card. No need for anything else.

Thanks, I will try this, but how do I make sure I have the newest HBC? I just downloaded it about 2 months or less ago so unless something new has come out since then I doubt it's outdated.

edit: I looked in my CPU for WiiTCPLoadGUI, but I could not find it. I can't remember exactly where I saved my homebrew stuff. do you know of the name of the folder where WiiTCPLoadGUI would be located? or how I can download it by itself?

markatisu

Thanks, I will try this, but how do I make sure I have the newest HBC? I just downloaded it about 2 months or less ago so unless something new has come out since then I doubt it's outdated.

The latest Homebrew Channel is 1.01 and was released the 2nd or 3rd week in Decemeber

Bizzyb

Banned
markatisu said:
The latest Homebrew Channel is 1.01 and was released the 2nd or 3rd week in Decemeber

Success! Almost!...it showed up (finally!) in my HBC but when I went to load it, a message appeared saying "error, this is not a valid Wii application"...??

edit: the location reads apps/Tona Shop Inst/boot.elf

but in the actual folder, there is a boot.dol
although in the root directory there is (for some reason) a lone boot.elf file. Should I delete that file?

Linkhero1

Bizzyb said:
Success! Almost!...it showed up (finally!) in my HBC but when I went to load it, a message appeared saying "error, this is not a valid Wii application"...??
Create a folder in you App directory and call it "Update". Place the .dol for the latest Homebrew Channel there. Boot up your old Homebrew Channel and load it from there. It should update.

Edit: Nvm just saw your stealth edit. :p

Bizzyb

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
Create a folder in you App directory and call it "Update". Place the .dol for the latest Homebrew Channel there. Boot up your old Homebrew Channel and load it from there. It should update.

Edit: Nvm just saw your stealth edit. :p

Edit: Holy Crap it worked! Thanks guys! It was a lot more difficult than it should have been but after several hours of trying I finally got the damned thing to work. Again, Much thanks to everyone who gave advice/info!

Xavien

Dash Kappei said:
Is it possibile to downgrade from 3.4 as well?

It is possible, i just successfully downgraded from 3.4E to 3.2E (because 3.4 disabled DVD playback) by following this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiHK4-LNlA&feature=related

It also includes Instructions and files to update the Wii Shop, so after following it, everything should work perfectly, but with 3.2 instead of 3.4

Warning to All: This process could brick your Wii if you don't Follow the Instructions EXACTLY, so don't attempt it if you don't want to risk your Wii.

-PXG-

Xavien said:
It is possible, i just successfully downgraded from 3.4E to 3.2E by following this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiHK4-LNlA&feature=related

Warning to All: This process could brick your Wii if you don't Follow the Instructions EXACTLY, so don't attempt it if you don't want to risk your Wii.

Fuck it. I'm not doing any of this shit until I can do it without any risks involved. I'm not turning my Wii into a $250 paper weight.

Xavien

-PXG- said:
Fuck it. I'm not doing any of this shit until I can do it without any risks involved. I'm not turning my Wii into a $250 paper weight.

You can use the Twilight hack designed for 3.4 to install the homebrew channel, installing the homebrew channel carries virtually no risk, its when you try to downgrade firmwares and change the Wii settings that you take the risk of bricking your Wii.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Xavien said:
You can use the Twilight hack designed for 3.4 to install the homebrew channel, installing the homebrew channel carries virtually no risk, its when you try to downgrade firmwares and change the Wii settings that you take the risk of bricking your Wii.

I think I'll just do that, hopefully I'll be able to play with my copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom and also that Nintendo won't stealth upgrade on me.

CTLance

BizzyB: The HBC has an autoupdate function. Press Home on your wiimote in the HBC and check what version you currently have installed on your Wii.
Bizzyb said:
edit: I looked in my CPU for WiiTCPLoadGUI, but I could not find it. I can't remember exactly where I saved my homebrew stuff. do you know of the name of the folder where WiiTCPLoadGUI would be located? or how I can download it by itself?
Uh, a little bit of a misunderstanding there. Wiiload is in the Homebrewchannel zip, the other programs are on wiibrew.
Just click on this link to go to wiibrew.org, and then download it there. I don't know if this will work, but try clicking here to get it directly. If you do not know how to open this file, get winrar.

Back to the SD card method:
Again, keep the entire SD card empty for now. Insert the SD card into the SD card reader on your PC, copy all files on it to a safe location, rightclick the SD card on your computer, select format, make sure it's set to FAT32, and let it wipe the card clean. When that has finished, open your SD card and make a new folder "apps". open that and make a new folder "shopupdate".
Then, unpack the Tonainstaller on your PC and move the files inside to the directory apps/shopupdate on your SD card. There should be nothing else on the SD card. Just a folder apps, inside it a folder shopupdate, and inside that the four files from the zip. (You only really need one, but let's keep it simple.)
2qcmjhx.png

Drag and drop these four files to their location, exit winrar (or whatever program you're using), "eject" your SD card in the explorer by rightclicking on it and choosing eject, then take the card out of your reader and to your Wii, insert it, start the HBC on the Wii menu, and the updater should show up. If that doesn't work your SD card is f'd up, your HBC is f'd up, or you did something wrong.

Bizzyb

Banned
CTLance I'm sorry to have you type up all of that but I guess that just goes to show how helpful of a guy you are. Thankfully it finally worked (as you see from my prior post).Thank you for all your help. I'm extremely grateful.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the new version of the twilight hack made it sound like you could install it with 3.4u firmware...

it's just not happening for me, and now i can't even try it again because the file keeps deleting itself. is there anything i can do to install the hack?

Vinci

Danish
I'm considering getting in on this whole homebrew business, so ... is it really, really awesome on the Wii like with the DS, or is it just 'oh well, it's nice sometimes'? 'Cause it's risk vs. reward at this point, but I'm actively considering it at this time.

Vinci said:
I'm considering getting in on this whole homebrew business, so ... is it really, really awesome on the Wii like with the DS, or is it just 'oh well, it's nice sometimes'? 'Cause it's risk vs. reward at this point, but I'm actively considering it at this time.
I wouldn't say it's really awesome, but considering an essentially zero risk the reward wins out.

So, my Wii needs to go in for repair when I return home in the summer and I have the homebrew channel installed. Since I can't turn the Wii on, all I have to do is remove the SD card, right? There's little chance they'll say "NOPE CAN'T HELP HOMEBREW CHANNEL :D"?

CoolS

Jumped in on the Homebrew train today, though now i hit a roadblock.

Firt off, I'm on 3.4E. Installed HBC and all, worked flawlessly. But I can't get GeckoOS to run. It loads, but all i get is the blue background, black window with a green geckosymbol in the bottom left corner. but otherwise nothing. Seems like the wii freezes, because i have to turn it off after that. Any help?

ymmv

Banned
CoolS said:
Jumped in on the Homebrew train today, though now i hit a roadblock.

Firt off, I'm on 3.4E. Installed HBC and all, worked flawlessly. But I can't get GeckoOS to run. It loads, but all i get is the blue background, black window with a green geckosymbol in the bottom left corner. but otherwise nothing. Seems like the wii freezes, because i have to turn it off after that. Any help?

You can downgrade 3.4 to 3.2 with this guide. There's also a guide for the downgrade in SoftMii which is another way to play regionfree games.

CoolS

ymmv said:
You can downgrade 3.4 to 3.2 with this guide. There's also a guide for the downgrade in SoftMii which is another way to play regionfree games.

Thanks but apparently the solution was much easier: I just had to take out my GV memory cards :lol

Ramenman

Vinci said:

Well, aside from Region Free-ness there's nothing all that awesome with Wii Homebrew.
There's scummVM, but it's only a PC Port.

alex1893

CoolS said:
Thanks but apparently the solution was much easier: I just had to take out my GV memory cards :lol
ok. Just wondered becaused GeckoOS runs fine for me under 3.4E. ;)

For the statistics:

I had 3.3E with HBC 0.8, then said "f*ck, i'll try it" and updated to 3.4E officially via the Wii system menu. After that I started up the HBC, automatically updated to 1.0... well, everything still runs fine, no problems with Mii channel, Wii shop, HBC, GeckoOS, HB browser and other stuff.

ElFly

ShockingAlberto said:
So, my Wii needs to go in for repair when I return home in the summer and I have the homebrew channel installed. Since I can't turn the Wii on, all I have to do is remove the SD card, right? There's little chance they'll say "NOPE CAN'T HELP HOMEBREW CHANNEL :D"?

Sorry, but the homebrew channel is actually installed as a channel in the Wii internal memory. Yeah, it reads all the apps from the SD card, but the program that kickstarts it is still on the Wii.

markatisu

ShockingAlberto said:

From my experience they do not even look at it, what is the problem exactly? I know the 2nd time I was having a reboot problem (they had broken my eject button on the previous SSBB repair and so it was randomly restarting)

They looked at it and figured it was unfixable so they moved all my content (saves and miis, etc) and send me a brand new one with no questions asked

They could clearly see the Homebrew Channel and the contents in the logs that I used the Homebrew Channel

B.K.

Does Nintendo ship Wiis with updated firmware? I want to import Disaster, when I get a Wii, but it's going to be a while. If I wait, will there be Wiis shipped from Nintendo have have newer firmwares that can't install the Homebrew Channel?

markatisu

B.K. said:
Does Nintendo ship Wiis with updated firmware? I want to import Disaster, when I get a Wii, but it's going to be a while. If I wait, will there be Wiis shipped from Nintendo have have newer firmwares that can't install the Homebrew Channel?

For repairs it depends, if they are fixing a hardware one then they most likely wont mess with the firmware (they did not when they "cleaned" my Wii the first time)

As for getting a new/refurb one, you get whatever the system has on it, for example I got one that had 3.2 on it when the one I sent in had 3.3

Sony does the same thing, my PS3 with 2.45 broke (the firmware disabled the reading ability of the drive) and they replaced it with a PS3 that had firmware 2.3 because thats what they had on hand

Sales wise I think in the US they will most likely be the updated ones, since the US sells out at almost 100% we do not have much old stock on the shelves

Not sure what the situation is in the EU and JP

Vinci

Danish
Ramenman said:
Well, aside from Region Free-ness there's nothing all that awesome with Wii Homebrew.
There's scummVM, but it's only a PC Port.

I like region free obviously, but doesn't sound like much has been done to truly take advantage of homebrew on the system. Think I'll hold out a bit longer before jumping in.

Have fun though, guys.

Top Bottom