• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

ViviOggi

If you click over to the right (on the right hand side of the screen, not sure if you are on console, and if so what the right button is) there's a button that says crafting, that goes into detail what each of those little icons stand for.

Cheers, this UI will be the death of me

Is there a way to unbuild something? friend and I were just farting around and inadvertently put one too many walls down for a bonus and we couldn't figure out how to rectify our mistake.

The guy who bought the founder pack and gave the aforementioned friend and I keys is having a hell of a time playing with us (on Xbone)— trying to join him or vice versa has all but once resulted in an error about being unable to join. There's some chatter on the official forums but it's hugely frustrating.

The console UI is terrible. Various tabs use the bumpers, triggers and right stick to switch between. Some dialog boxes you hit "A" and/or "B" to proceed from (following the console convention), while at least one demands you hit "Y" instead.

Maximus P

Yeah, the game has alot of issues.

I keep getting alot of public parties where the other 3 guys seem to want to explore and gather resources and nothing else.

Some guy actually got aggressive with me when I started the horde part of the game as he said he wasn't ready, which was fine, but we had already been in the game 20 minutes.

I keep getting alot of public parties where the other 3 guys seem to want to explore and gather resources and nothing else.

Some guy actually got aggressive with me when I started the horde part of the game as he said he wasn't ready, which was fine, but we had already been in the game 20 minutes.

I'm only planning on playing with 3 friends.

This sounds like a nightmare tho

I dont see a survivor llama on the loot menu?

There is a llama that rotates every 24~ hours. I think it rotates as the daily rewards reset. Most of them cost 350. There is one that is like a super llama that costs about 1000 (I don't know the exact cost and I never actually saw it in alpha). There is a survivor one, which I think includes heroes too but I am not 100% sure. There might be someone more knowledgeable on these rotating llamas here.

Most of the time this person who wants to spend forever isn't an issue. Occasionally you do have to scour the map a bit to find a specific thing though it shouldn't take 20 minutes either. If they really want to spend an hour on a map they just need to go in solo and prevent others from joining, which is an option.

VexyWexy

Yeah, I hope I don't run into a difficulty wall playing solo because both situations of either feeling like you're rushing to scavenge so people aren't waiting on you, or waiting for someone else to finish scavenging kinda suck. I just want to play at my own pace.

DarkKyo

Any place I can read impressions on this since early access started? Dying to try this but worried about spending money on it if it won't last long.

The thing that puts me off this game is the first part of the two-part format. The second, part, building a fort and defending it, seems fun. But mindlessly slapping walls et al to gather materials, while wandering around an easy PvE environment, seems very tedious. It's like playing Orcs Must Die except you have to play Tic-Tac-Toe for 20 minutes first before getting to the fun part. Are my fears unfounded? I hate mining materials, so I figure I won't like this game, am I right?

I won't have a group to play this with either. I'd be solo-queuing.

Maximus P

Don't get me wrong, There are times when it works great. I just seemed to have had 3 or 4 games where people seemed to be using the game for gathering resources rather than completing the objectives, and I've only had one guy moan.

One thing I found I don't quite like is the rewards for building. I've had more than one issue in which a player has built a structure with no defence in mind, with maze like walls, blocking off line of site to spawn areas and walling in traps that I've layed down. Im assuming these people are just trying to get their build xp up. They also totally ignore the fact that there are bonuses involved for using less structures.

Do the husks not follow a maze when you build it? They always seem to destroy it regardless.

I've had mazes work pretty well. Well, to call it a maze might be overkill, but a hallway or two lined with traps, yeah. You might have to put additional walls to deter them from eating through a wall that blocks their direct progress though.

yeah the grind makes korean mmos look like babby's first grinder

I like this game a lot. It satisfies my need to gather and fill progression bars.

Hah, pretty much pillowtalk's response is my boat. Yeah it can be a bit of a grind but when it starts feeling like a grind I stop playing and come back later. Stopped right now after I hit the 2nd research upgrade.

The collection book is also pretty deviously great. I've barely been recycling schematics and survivors because of it.

Shredderi

I'm a bit mystified. I'm supposed to unlock this rifleman defender. I have already found her in a lootbox but I guess it doesn't count. Well I don't have a skill point so I have to go to a mission to earn it. The problem is that it won't let me. It's stuck in a "testing empty servers/no available matches" loop.

Edit: And now it works after I post this.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I've had mazes work pretty well. Well, to call it a maze might be overkill, but a hallway or two lined with traps, yeah. You might have to put additional walls to deter them from eating through a wall that blocks their direct progress though.

Hah, pretty much pillowtalk's response is my boat. Yeah it can be a bit of a grind but when it starts feeling like a grind I stop playing and come back later. Stopped right now after I hit the 2nd research upgrade.

The collection book is also pretty deviously great. I've barely been recycling schematics and survivors because of it.
Was building like orc must die and they just seem to destroy walls :D

alexbull_uk

Well that sucked.

Was on the final round of a defending mission and had to go take care of something, came back about 20 minutes later and I've been kicked because it "lost connection to host" because of being idle too long. I was playing solo.

Now I have to do the entire mission again... and it doesn't look like it saved any of the loot I collected.

The game is fun as it is, and I feel I've barelly scratched the surface, but I wonder if all quests are the same type of open world maps, or if there are more like cities and stuff? More "industrial".

Currently on page 4 of the Stonewood questline.

im like meh about this game i can already feel the repetitive vibes consuming me , oddly ive been having fun with buggy Dark and Light more though and have barely tried the rest of the game yet

phant0m

Enjoying so far, played a couple hours and barely scratched the surface. Seems worth the $60 for deluxe.

Gotta go play Spla2n now

B-Dex

Pro Tip: Favorite and pin schematics to have an on screen overlay letting you know what mats you still need and to also have them pinned to the top of the crafting list.

Madventure

I was in the alpha for a year (and a half?), the best thing me and my friends came up with to be lazy for missions (it was expandable too) was just a pyramid with a fence (fence being half/short wall) around it. I bestow to you my knowledge.

Iceman829

Is anyone having issues trying to play with other people? I'm on xb1 and me and my friend can't join either's game. We both get the same pop up that says "The party is currently not responding to join requests. Please try again later"

Also, I thought I saw someone mention a discord channel before. Is there a way I can get a link to that?

The very design of the game at its core seems deeply flawed because of this. I don't understand why there aren't just some exploration missions and some horde mode missions. I don't see the benefit of fusing the two together. Now I get to search for a match and stand around at the Atlus for like 30 mins before the actual match starts.

Also wasted a bunch of materials last match because I built defenses on the wrong side. I don't understand why the game isn't just literally a tower defense game where you've gotta leave at least one opening to the Atlus, and any barriers you build serve as a means of which to guide the zombies to it. Instead, you're left trying to do that, but some zombies will just randomly attack walls and even floors regardless. Why can floors be broken? Why can stairs be broken? I don't get it.

Why's my inventory full? I can't even tell which items are taking up inventory space and which aren't. Why is everything treated as a consumable with durability? Why is the gun that I focused all my leveling on now obsolete because I haven't managed to find whatever rare material I need to craft another?

Actually, why craft anything at all during a match besides some basic walls and ceiling around the Atlus? I've asked every group I've been in, and nobody knows, because we generally just end up standing around at the zombie spawn killing them from miles away from the Atlus.

Does this game get even remotely difficult at some point?

patchday

It's a loot game with varying rarities. Think Diablo meets Minecraft meets Orcs Must Die. The microtransactions are buying pinatas that give you loot. You also earn loot by playing and get in-game currency to buy pinatas.

dang I hate random loot games. I'm out ;(

It's a shame because this game looks great otherwise. I just cant stomach f2p random loot stuff anymore I just cant do it. Sorry Epic Games ;(

But you know what I'm not sorry cause I buy ue3/ue4 powered fighting games all the time

phant0m

I've been playing with randos all night and nobody complained. Everybody explored, did some shit, then got busy when it was time to put in work. Even some occasional use of the in-game chat to coordinate.

That said, hope it cranks up a bit. Not much challenge so far with 4 players. Enemies need to be tougher/faster/do more damage, they aren't much of a threat to either the player or the base/objective, I've literally gotten myself into a pack of them before and came out with very little damage.

Top Bottom