• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many FPS campaigns have surpassed HL2 in the last 13 years?

Fury451

Banned
Half-Life 2 will always be legendary for how it changed the conventions of FPS campaigns (just like Half-Life before it), but it's been far surpassed often.

Just in the past 10 years we've had Metro: 2033/Last Light, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Wolfenstein: TNO, DOOM, Crysis, FEAR, The Darkness, Bioshock 2 (yes, 2, better than the first in campaign design), Titanfall 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Portal, Dishonored, STALKER (though this is janky as hell), Riddick- Butcher Bay/Dark Athena, Far Cry 2, etc.

There's going to be a lot of varying mileage with my mentions, but while it's ssecured it's spot in gaming pantheon, it's hardly a sacred idol that will never be bested.

ShutterMunster

This is a pretty weird thread, seems like an excuse to lay into Half Life. Plenty of FPS have "surpassed" HL2, it would be strange if there weren't any. Half Life 2 came out eons ago in the scheme of things, shooters have evolved in so many different ways, and developers have made storytelling a big priority in recent years.

A list of some FPS campaigns I would rate above HL2:
• DOOM
• Halo 3
• Modern Warfare (If MP was considered it would be my fav)
• Titanfall 2 (though I'm not as moved by it as many)
• Wolfenstein: The New Order
• Bioshock (probably my favorite on the list)
• Crysis
• F.E.A.R

Haven't played Stalker and haven't finished the Metro games. Do the Portal games count? They're not really shooters but if they do count BOTH OF THOSE.

I like tons of the games being posted in this thread. Yea, a bunch of them may have more modern gameplay, be more polished or even be straight up better games.

But I don't think any of these have surpassed HL2's impact.

Best FPS campaigns (IMO) by year with runner up in parentheses.

1992 - Wolfenstein 3D
1993 - Doom (Blake Stone)
1994 - System Shock (Doom 2)
1995 - Hexen (Dark Forces)
1996 - Duke Nukem 3D (Quake)
1997 - Goldeneye 007 (Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight)
1998 - Half-Life (Unreal)
1999 - System Shock 2 (Kingpin)
2000 - Deus Ex (Perfect Dark)
2001 - Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Halo)
2002 - Jedi Outcast 2 (Medal of Honor: Allied Assault)
2003 - Call of Duty (Jedi Academy)
2004 - Half-Life 2 (Chronicles of Riddick)
2005 - FEAR (Brothers in Arms)
2006 - Prey (Resistance Fall of Man)
2007 - Bioshock (Halo 3)
2008 - Crysis Warhead (Resistance 2)
2009 - Killzone 2 (COD MW2)
2010 - Metro 2033 (COD Black Ops)
2011 - Deus Ex: HR (Portal 2)
2012 - Dishonored or Far Cry 3 maybe? weak year
2013 - Bioshock: Infinite (Crysis 3 or Metro LL)
2014 - Wolfenstein TNO (FC4 maybe)
2015 - can't think of any... haven't played Halo 5 yet
2016 - Doom (Titanfall 2)

I wonder how many of those still hold up today.

DSix

Banned
Doom 1
Doom 2
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Time Splitters trilogy
Far Cry 2
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Doom 2016
Resident Evil 7 (if you can consider it to be in the same genre)

Basically Half Life was never amazing.
It was the start of the new school of extremely linear and mediocre level design with a bit more plot and passable gameplay. It gave birth to the COD-style of campaigns that everybody likes to mock.
It never was an upgrade from the real greatness that Doom was and still is.

Fury451

Banned
Honestly if we want to talk about influential campaigns, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare influenced an entire generation and then some (for better or worse) in game design post Half-Life 2 with the introduction of set pieces on a scale unseen before.

ShutterMunster

I like tons of the games being posted in this thread. Yea, a bunch of them may have more modern gameplay, be more polished or even be straight up better games.

But I don't think any of these have surpassed HL2's impact.

If we're going to talk about impact, I think it's fair to include multiplayer into the discussion. Modern Warfare absolutely matched or surpassed HL2's impact. It changed the face of multiplayer experiences even affecting titles OUTSIDE of its genre.

People tend to credit Uncharted with progressing cinematic storytelling in games, specifically action set piece design, but MW was right there too.

Landmark achievement.

Horp

Doom 1
Doom 2
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Time Splitters trilogy
Far Cry 2
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Doom 2016
Resident Evil 7 (if you can consider it to be in the same genre)

Basically Half Life was never amazing.
It was the start of the new school of extremely linear and mediocre level design with a bit more plot and passable gameplay. It gave birth to the COD-style of campaigns that everybody likes to mock.
It never was an upgrade from the real greatness that Doom was and still is.
You're wrong. I actually got my wife to start playing HL2 for the first time 3 days ago, and it is still incredible.

1992 - Wolfenstein 3D
2007 - Bioshock (Halo 3)

This ain't a bad list. Think I agree on each and everyone, huh.

Edit:
no, at 99 I'd personally go:
1999 - System Shock 2 (Alient vs Predator)

Justinh

Uh... too many to name?
I think this is correct. Bear in mind I've never been a big fan of Half Life 2, so my opinion might differ from most people.

Even when Half Life 2 was new, I just didn't find myself attached to it like I was with the first game. I still have never completed it. I try to go back every now and then, but I just don't like playing it enough to finish (at least cloud saves are a thing now and I don't have to do that airboat part for like the millionth time).

Not a bad list, but I would definitely swap 2013. I loved Last Light's single player campaign, and Infinite definitely didn't gel with me like LL did.
I will never not be salty that FC4 got shooter of the year over The New Order at that year's Game Awards, lol...

DocSeuss

What am I even reading? This has to be a shitpost right?

HL2 is not the end-all-be-all it used to be but your examples are way off the mark.

No, it's an opinion from me, someone who is pretty well known for not liking Half-Life 2, and who often writes in-depth and at length about good shooter design. Half-Life 2, I firmly believe, is not a great video game. We're all welcome to believe what we want and argue for that perspective. It's not a shitpost just because you can't believe I'd say that.

I'm packing up right now so I don't really feel like dumping a three thousand words on why I dislike Half-Life 2 in this thread, plus it'd probably be derailing since this thread is about "how many FPS campaigns have surpassed Half Life 2?" and not "let's talk about HL2's campaign's quality."

jtb

Banned
First Call of Duty had a great campaign. Same with COD2. Crazy to think that COD used to be known for its single player long before it's multiplayer, particularly since it was so overshadowed by BF on PC at the time.

bender

What time is it?
I didn't care for HL2 when it released. Episode 2 was the first time a game in the series lived up to the original.

I can't think of one. The only two for me that come close are Wolfenstein: The New Order and DOOM.

I don't think there was a single FPS released from 2005-2013 that I loved, unless you want to count the HL2 expansions, Portal, Portal 2, or Metroid Prime 3 (most wouldn't count the latter three).

Only game that gave me the same feeling as HL2 was TimeShift. It did not surpassed not even close, still was one hell of a game even if the story went down the drain after a while.

Also loved The Darkness 1 that one too had the problem of losing my interest after the level on the ship and forward. Was one hell of a game, few worlds/settings beats it. That part when your in a restaurant and they break down the walls. Good stuff. Many parts that touched greatness, the into chase, sofa with Jenny, the subway in general. Down in the tunnels when you had to use the cover of darkness. The beginning and ending of the Turkish bath- To bad the level design go kind of bad toward the end and the pacing was in many parts way to slow.

DocSeuss

What is the best way to play FEAR?

I take it the PS3 version is pretty poor?

On PC without a logitech mouse.

Only game that gave me the same feeling as HL2 was TimeShift. It did not surpassed not even close, still was one hell of a game even if the story went down the drain after a while.

Also loved The Darkness 1 that one too had the problem of losing my interest after the level on the ship and forward. Was one hell of a game, few worlds/settings beats it. That part when your in a restaurant and they break down the walls. Good stuff. Many parts that touched greatness, the into chase, sofa with Jenny, the subway in general. Down in the tunnels when you had to use the cover of darkness. The beginning and ending of the Turkish bath- To bad the level design go kind of bad toward the end and the pacing was in many parts way to slow.

Timeshift, like Resistance 3, is one of those weird little FPSes that aped HL2 and learned that if you don't put "Valve" on the box and focus on being a tech demo, your game won't do very well. It's not a great gameplay formula.

The Darkness is legit, but the controls are so weird. Would love to see it remade with better graphics and controls.

Dirtbag

Really depends on what you like.

I like guns with heavier feedback and strong AI gun battles.
In that world, countless games surpassed it.

But that's not really what Half Life is about. I also preferred Portal 1 and 2.
I dont have the nostalgia feels for HL2

oni-link

I would say Wolfenstein: The New Order does a lot of the same things just as well, if not better. Probably my favorite FOS campaign since then. There have been tons of other good ones, though.

It's always hard with games like HL2 to claim something is objectively "better" if you were part of the release time mania. Games like that and MGS2 were such "events"' at the time of release that it's really hard to separate their content from their legacy and say "X or Y game is demonstrably better."

I first played HL2 in 2011 and I'm replaying it now in 2017. I don't remember much about it when it launched

There are tons of great FPS campaigns that I've enjoyed a lot, but HL2 just seems to be on a higher level. This is my opinion of course, but while games like CoD4 have really good campaigns, they seem to fly by in the blink of an eye, and you're always being pushed forward

HL2 has such a great sense of place, and no waypoints or markers, the game guides you with it's level design.

I think the pacing is fantastic, you're never doing one thing for too long. I know people hate the driving and boat sections, but those are under an hour long each, and you get back on foot a dozen times or so in each chapter

In terms of gunplay and story there have been quite a few that have been listed here. But I think in terms of pacing and atmosphere very few, if any, have matched it. It feels like a real adventure in a real world, there's such a strong sense of place, and it rarely feels like a connection of levels strung together. The vehicle levels people complain about make the world seem huge and real, especially since they are peppered with spots that feel organic for you to get out and explore.

Great post

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't the best question. Half Life 2 isn't that great; I can name a ton of shooters with better campaigns (Doom, Wolfenstein, Call of Duty 1/2/4/BO, Titanfall, Borderlands 2, Halo 3 ODST, Prey, BioShock Infinite). Half Life 2 is just OK.

shiv_

1992 - Wolfenstein 3D
2007 - Bioshock (Halo 3)

Very strong list that I mostly agree with (which doesn't happen often 'round these parts).

My changes:
1999 - System Shock 2 (Alien Vs Predator)
2007 - Halo 3 (Bioshock)
2010 - COD Black Ops (Metro 2033)
2011 - Portal 2 (Deus Ex: HR)

Back to HL2 talk though.. I love the Half-Life 'universe', and I think for its time it was almost as revolutionary as doom or Quake, and I consider it to be the best campaign ever basically.

Not to get too off topic but I'm surprised so many people are mentioning far cry 2. Thought I was in the minority in thinking it's the best far cry campaign. I remember it getting mountains of hate back when it released.

Many. But it would be weird if they didn't. HL2 came out 13 years ago after all.

Better question would be if Valve could live up to modern standards if they decided to do a shooter campaign.

StarPhlox

Based on this thread the answer seems to be about 8

Wolfenstein: TNO? No question

Prey? Yes by a good margin

Destiny? Really seems like it

Titanfall 2? Yes of course

DOOM? E A S I L Y

Metroid Prime Trilogy? Sure!

Chronicles of Riddick? I would say so

Bioshock games? An argument could be made

Halo? No come on

In conclusion: At LEAST 8

rtcn63

Many. But it would be weird if they didn't. HL2 came out 13 years ago after all.

Better question would be if Valve could live up to modern standards if they decided to do a shooter campaign.

I'm not sure they could.

Unless... and I'm being Cap'n Obvious here, they did a full-length, meaty campaign in VR. There are just too few of those out there, it would be novel.

I'll be honest, HL2 might be too part of its time for me, I played it years later and wasn't all that impressed.

Once you get out of the initial chase out of the first city section, I'm not really into the level design. Just seemed like you were wandering aimlessly through sewers with no clear direction.

I never finished HL2 after that. I appreciate I missed the zeitgeist around that game at the time though. Hate when circumstances out of my control interfere with my enjoyment of a game.

Randdalf

Uh... too many to name? Half-Life 2 isn't great from a mechanical or a narrative perspective, which are the two things we play FPSes for.

Halo 3 shits on Half-Life 2. Bulletstorm demolishes it on a narrative front. Titanfall 2 blows it away. Doom outplays it. Call of Duty 4 has dramatically better pacing. Crysis is way more interesting in the combat department. FEAR is the second greatest first person shooter of all time.

Half-Life 2 is a low bar. It would be easier to list worse FPSes. You got Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Darkest of Days, Legendary, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Halo 4, Halo 5, Black Ops 1-3... probably some others?

I couldn't disagree more. I played HL2 and Halo 3 back-to-back; HL2 blew me away, Halo 3 just felt like a step down in nearly every respect.

Kalentan

Honestly too many to list.

Half-Life 2 is just OK.

It's not like it's aged badly per-se but playing it now honestly feels just one giant meh.

half-life 2 is a good and hugely important game but if you don't think a ton of better games have come out in its wake you've been blinded

the last two years alone have been filled with phenomenal shooters that blow half-life 2 away

Woo-Fu

Banned
Most of them, HL2 was a boring slog overpopulated by physics gimmicks. 99% of my enjoyment from HL2 came from the mods, not the game itself.

chemicals

I agree with OP. Episode 1 and 2 were great but there's just something about Half Life 2 proper that is just classic and unmatched. I replay it every other year and I always love it. That first time I was running around in that one level and that guy was like "hey, come in here" and I followed him and the game opened up... that was a huge moment in gaming for me.

(one hour later)
I just read the first 3 pages and damn, the bullshit here is unmatched on Neogaf. Nearly everyone is dissing Half Life 2. Really guys..

SpokkX

I'm replaying this and the episodes at the moment (for the first time since 2011) and they're still blowing me away.

I'm a few chapters into Episode Two right now, but everything HL2 is just fantastic

The atmosphere, the world building, the sense of progression, the pacing, It puts most modern games to shame

It's been 13 years since this game came out, and that got me thinking. How many FPS campaigns have surpassed HL2 in the last 13 years?

If you don't think any have, then do you think any have come close?

Doom (2016) absolutely kills Half life 2:s gameplay. In fact it sets a new standard in fps gameplay

HL2 is still the king when it comes to atmosphere imo and only Bioshock 1 comes close

Titanfall 2 - vastly overrated, barely finished the campaign because of the campy story/dialogue

It's a bunch of people who played HL2 in 2014 instead of 2004, "because they heard it was a classic" and then will judge it as a game that came out in 2014.

There are plenty of old games across many different genres that can still stand with the best of modern titles. Yes, I understand historical context matters, but I think true masterpieces in any medium don't look any worse compared to anything newer.

Half-Life 2 deserved all the accolades it got. It's revolutionary. I liked it a lot when I played it in 07. I have liked more FPSes since then. In fact, I actually like the original Half-Life more.

The thing I like about HL2 is that for a good chunk of its running time 'nothing' actually happens compared with newer games. You're just going through empty building and stuff and maybe solving some simple physics puzzle. I'm not sure how receptive newer generations are to this kind of FPS where it's not full of explosions every second. The game let you just set in its world and take it in, it leaves a lasting impression because of it. The only other game that made me feel this way was The Last of Us. I guess it's a risky and difficult way to make a game, people could easily dismiss it as boring. Dishonored is similar too but it's not exactly the same experience to me. I enjoy it very much still.

I'm only a little over halfway through Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I'm very much impressed already with how it handles all the downtime in between the action, moreso than what HL2 does. Way more variety and a lot more compelling narratively, too. And going back 7 years from TNO's release, BioShock also has plenty of more resonant exploration moments too. HL2 isn't unique in that regard.

I agree with OP. Episode 1 and 2 were great but there's just something about Half Life 2 proper that is just classic and unmatched. I replay it every other year and I always love it. That first time I was running around in that one level and that guy was like "hey, come in here" and I followed him and the game opened up... that was a huge moment in gaming for me.

(one hour later)
I just read the first 3 pages and damn, the bullshit here is unmatched on Neogaf. Nearly everyone is dissing Half Life 2. Really guys..

People... have moved on.

Nothing has surpassed it. Portal 2, and Metroid Prime 2 and 3 are the only games that have equaled it. And even then, those are very different types of games. Games like the Bioshock series and the new Doom/Wolfenstein are good, but not quite on the same level.

Top Bottom