• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO Fest's livestream is absolutely must-see

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
bWcNDWn.png

So 20,000 people went. (I wonder how many just went and uninstalled... >_>)

Majukun

How long until Pokemon cuts ties with Niantic? Because this is a major fuckup on their part.

the game is based on niantic tech...if they cut ties with them,they basically have to develop another game

and i don't think they really care that much about what happened

The original Pokemon Go build was contracted out by another company to make. Niantic didn't even make it.

But once the contractors delivered Niantic took it over.

They are terrible, terrible engineers. They deserve all the shame and none of the profits for the glacial pace at which they've developed this game. Size of the company means nothing once that huge influx of cash started coming down the streams.

They're gonna get sued into non-existance. This is even worse than Fyre.
There were people trapped on an island with almost no food, water, light, security or provisions with nothing more than unsecured storm tents to stay in and no way out.

No this is not worse than fyre fest.

But still pretty bad.

I really feel for people who paid tons of money to travel, but I can't help but feel like this is what Niantic deserves. Over the past year, they've systematically removed multiple ways for people with disabilities to play the game. Admittedly, these ways were gray area, but not once did Niantic acknowledge their disabled players. Maybe some of this event money should've been invested in accessibility.

Lol at the server load excuse. This shits hilarious.

Pretty obvious that nobody at niantic has ever been to a sporting event where loads of people in a small area are trying to use their phones.

Nilaul

The game is a mess generally, it's a laggy mess.

Everything has been modeled in 3d but why?. Couldn't objects be replaced with sprites, especially in the distance? I would had thought it would have been beneficial to get the game running as smooth as possible as many devices as possible.

gossi

Youtubers signing a sponsorship contract where they can't criticise the organisers = amazing.

Also, who else sponsored the event? Sprint.

The mods at the silphroad took down the Go FEST highlights thread, probably because all of the highlights were pretty much negative. Lame.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
The original Pokemon Go build was contracted out by another company to make. Niantic didn't even make it.

But once the contractors delivered Niantic took it over.

They are terrible, terrible engineers. They deserve all the shame and none of the profits for the glacial pace at which they've developed this game. Size of the company means nothing once that huge influx of cash started coming down the streams.

Is this true? Do we even know who the original developers were?

Kai Ozu

They are able to use one of the greatest video game properties in the world, you better come correct.

Fix the damn game.

Kusagari

lol

The only way a festival could be worse than Fyre is if the people got trapped for days and resorted to cannibalism.

How can they have such a massive influx of income and still be unable to prepare for this?

This isn't even their first public event of this calibur! Niantic has held tons of Ingress gatherings without issue!

Dyle

What a shame, I was really hoping that this event would effectively be a relaunch of the game that would introduce legendaries and hopefully fix many of the game's persistent issues, but I guess not lol. I've always wanted to get into it but have run into too many problems and not enough local pokestops to really enjoy it. Oh well, will be interesting to see how TPC moves forward after this

Jackpot

Banned
Yeah I understand that too, but I'm 120% sure that Niantic is doing all they can in that situation. Having thousands of people in a "small" space connecting to the same servers, the mobile network just can't handle it, there are only so many antennas. Sucks, a lot, but was expected.

But yeah, they can boo all they want, just, don't expect for it to go smoothly or that booing is going to fix anything.

Also didn't know you had to pay for the event, thought it was a more "open" thing.

Doubling down on that comment was an odd choice.

I would have gone just to see Masuda alone but apparently he left asap
You would have gone to a social gaming event, not to socialize or game, but just to lay your eyeballs on some Japanese guy that owns a toy company you love?
Niantic is damaging the Pokemon brand with this.
So is this the company line by Pokemon fans? I'd wager that Niantic has reinvigorated Pokemon interest over the past year more than they've damaged it, but ok lol.

Just to be clear, I'm not defending anything (especially not this event). I just find some of these posts weird.

dark_chris

Gold Member
Man, I hope Niantic gets approached by the Pokemon Company after this and have words with them.

Honestly, with proper management, this event could have been huge but they had to fuck it all up.

I feel bad for the people who flew from different states or outside their country for this event. wtf man. Well, the brightside is that these people can enjoy downtown Chicago a lot. The downtown area has a shit ton of pokestops and pokemon wondering about while enjoying the sights and scenery. I'd almost recommend people to got to Navy Pier or the Planetarium areas.

Top Bottom