• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

bomblord1

Banned
I've never played Frontier, but from what I've seen of it Tides of Destiny has super limited town and social aspects even in comparison even to older Harvest Moon games. And the farming is even worse where you basically just take care of monsters and they do all the farming so you have no tools other than a wand you use to plant seeds.The only improvements I can think of is the combat is much better than Frontier's and using the in-game models for characters during conversations is actually much better than the usual artwork with changing expressions.

The town is way better IMHO than Frontier. Frontiers was slightly larger but this one is so much more alive. Characters vary their schedules a lot more and have a looot more unique dialogue they also interact with the environment and you in a lot more ways.

The town though is supplemented by the massive ocean and tons of islands some of which are fairly big.

Bogeypop

The town is way better IMHO than Frontier. Frontiers was slightly larger but this one is so much more alive. Characters vary their schedules a lot more and have a looot more unique dialogue they also interact with the environment and you in a lot more ways.

The town though is supplemented by the massive ocean and tons of islands some of which are fairly big.

Oh absolutely the characters are better. However I was referring to what there is to actually do in town. Besides talking to everyone there's not much to do unless it's a holiday. Most of your time will probably be spent taking care of your monsters, planting and harvesting new crops, or dungeoning/sailing to new islands. Though I guess the same could be said of other HM/RF games, I just felt it stuck out more in ToD. Probably because of how small the island feels which is further exacerbated by your ability to teleport back home without having to use any resources.

Red

Man, SMG upscales SO well. I was never able to find a good enough lightbar to emulate it with, though. Stopped trying after the first two didn't work great/kept getting decalibrated.

It is not being upscaled. It is being rendered at a higher resolution.

I setup SweetFX recently with PCSX2 and I really like a small CRT like look to the games:
ffxiifilteridu0t.jpg

Crispy75

Were there even widescreen TV's then?

In 1996? Sure. I remember seeing 16:9 standard-def CRTs in the mid-nineties. In 1995, 500,000 16:9 TVs were sold in Europe (source), and the SCART standard allowed the correct setting of aspect ratio by the source signal. I know less about Japan, but I suspect they were even further ahead.

jdkluv

Pissed that the Command X music team never seemed to get back together again for another game.

Well, three of them worked together... in Mega Man X7, lol.

Here's a link to the Command Mission soundtrack album if case you want to see who did what and check out these composers' other works. IIRC, Okada did most of the music for Command Mission (all the tracks I previously linked were done by him - he likes his techno music).

Wish I could get my emulators looking this good. Every time I try to play PCSX2 it ends up looking like crap even at 4K internal resolution. Tried Radiata Stories and it was blurry as hell.

Wish I could get my emulators looking this good. Every time I try to play PCSX2 it ends up looking like crap even at 4K internal resolution. Tried Radiata Stories and it was blurry as hell.

Yeah certain games just has that filter like SMT Nocturne

FFX-2 - PCSX2 - 4x native, 16xAF, 2xAA

pcsx22015-01-0417-16-wzu7h.png

pcsx22015-01-0417-17-x2uy9.png

flohen95

Sincere question: How do you guys dump cartridges and stuff like PSP? What are you using? I still have a decent N64 collection that I could dump but I don't know how. Or are most just procuring them through other means?

Dumping games is done on a console by console basis - it all depends on what you want to dump. Disc-based console games, in general, are easier to rip as you can, for many of them, simply insert the disc into your computer's disc drive and create an iso image (for example for Saturn, PS1, PS2 games). For Dreamcast games, since they're GD-ROMs, you either need a modified disc drive or a way to connect your Dreamcast to your PC (for example with a coders cable, though that method is very slow) and use the Dreamcast as a GD-ROM drive. PSP games are dumped by using custom firmware on the PSP, setting the USB device to the UMD drive and then simply copying the file from the PSP to your computer via USB. GameCube and Wii games are best ripped from a Wii - using homebrew, you can dump inserted discs onto an SD card.

For cartridge based consoles, it's slightly more complicated. A good method for older cartridge games is Retrode and it's various hardware addons, iirc, but that's out of print by now and might be hard to get. For other cartridge systems, you'll need to look up individual solutions, like cartridge adapters. I don't know the details there though as I haven't yet fiddled with cartridge dumping, which is too expensive for me considering the usage I would get out of it.

This looks great. I need to learn how to use this SweetFX thing :)

Only works with DX9 for me, every attempt to use it with DX11 crashes the emulator. It's not hard to learn and there's plenty of configs online. Mine is a very simple one just to add scanlines and adjust the colors a bit.

finalflame

Gold Member
AMD FX 8350
970 GTX
8GB RAM and I can't run dolphin for the life of me.

The AMD CPU is your problem. AMD CPUs seriously underperform in processor-intensive tasks such as emulation, and have terrible IPC when compared to Intel CPUs. Get an i5 or i7 and be happy.

Dumping games is done on a console by console basis - it all depends on what you want to dump. Disc-based console games, in general, are easier to rip as you can, for many of them, simply insert the disc into your computer's disc drive and create an iso image (for example for Saturn, PS1, PS2 games). For Dreamcast games, since they're GD-ROMs, you either need a modified disc drive or a way to connect your Dreamcast to your PC (for example with a coders cable, though that method is very slow) and use the Dreamcast as a GD-ROM drive. PSP games are dumped by using custom firmware on the PSP, setting the USB device to the UMD drive and then simply copying the file from the PSP to your computer via USB. GameCube and Wii games are best ripped from a Wii - using homebrew, you can dump inserted discs onto an SD card.

For cartridge based consoles, it's slightly more complicated. A good method for older cartridge games is Retrode and it's various hardware addons, iirc, but that's out of print by now and might be hard to get. For other cartridge systems, you'll need to look up individual solutions, like cartridge adapters. I don't know the details there though as I haven't yet fiddled with cartridge dumping, which is too expensive for me considering the usage I would get out of it.

Thanks for the reply. Always wondered about that. I'm familiar with using discs such as psx and ps2 games in the disc drive of the pc.

Radius4

PPSSPP is impressive at higher internal res too, still tweaking my setup, this is with PPSSPP libretro, internal rendering @ 2400x1360, output resolution 1080p, I might increase the internal res a bit more to get some more antialiasing.

I coupled it with XBR texture filtering and an image adjustment shader (before / after image adjustment screenshots follow):

RetroArch-0104-234625.png

RetroArch-0104-234616.png

The effect is subtle but the added saturation is quite nice, I just need to get rid of those jaggies (I didn't notice those gaming at 8 feet on my TV but now on my desktop I can see them)

Another one:

RetroArch-0104-231824.png

w00tkins

w00tkins your Metriod pictures are amazing.

Is that in playable state fps wise?

If you have a good enough PC yeah. Echoes runs pretty well for me but Corruption has lots of slowdown. Bloom effects don't emulate properly either, so no exterior shots of Skytown :(

sörine

Banned
Always amazes me how well PS2, PSP and GC/Wii games scale to higher resolutions. Can't wait until 3DS and Xbox get the same treatment some day.

sörine;146094799 said:
Always amazes me how well PS2, PSP and GC/Wii games scale to higher resolutions. Can't wait until 3DS and Xbox get the same treatment some day.

God I hope so. OG Xbox never got this, I hope 360 does.

It's always nice to see how really old 3d games like this hold up.
Yeah, wipEout 3 even has a widescreen option so it holds up amazingly. It may be the futuristic design of the ships and tracks that make the series stand the test of time better than other racing games on the PS1. Though the Ridge Racer games look nice too, will post some screens of them soon.

Oemenia

Banned
Yeah, wipEout 3 even has a widescreen option so it holds up amazingly. It may be the futuristic design of the ships and tracks that make the series stand the test of time better than other racing games on the PS1. Though the Ridge Racer games look nice too, will post some screens of them soon.
Wipeout 3 holds up even without upressing. The game was a technical masterpiece.

robgrab

So glad someone finally created a thread on this specific topic. I'm still amazed at how far emulation has come. I still remember seeing a booth in Kentia Hall at E3 many years ago showing off a product called Bleem, which was a PS1 emulator for the PC. It was so amazing to see these low res PS1 games running in HD (or whatever was considered "HD" at the time). Needless to say Sony shut them down almost immediately. Then the internet happened and the rest is history.

Radius4

So glad someone finally created a thread on this specific topic. I'm still amazed at how far emulation has come. I still remember seeing a booth in Kentia Hall at E3 many years ago showing off a product called Bleem, which was a PS1 emulator for the PC. It was so amazing to see these low res PS1 games running in HD (or whatever was considered "HD" at the time). Needless to say Sony shut them down almost immediately. Then the internet happened and the rest is history.

I don't think bleem had higher internal res... Not sure anymore... It was long ago.
But I think they didnt lose the trial against Sony. Sony didn't shut them down. Bankruptcy did (legal fees).

Actually it was the internet era already and PSemu Pro was a thing already!

Robin64

How are you guys getting 4x native resolution with FFXII? I get texture errors at that setting and a Google search shows it to be a common thing. What other settings do you have?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
How are you guys getting 4x native resolution with FFXII? I get texture errors at that setting and a Google search shows it to be a common thing. What other settings do you have?

I'm using these settings with the newest nightly and no weird graphical errors aside from aliased text.
DNtSZM6.png

Top Bottom