• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL Wii Retro Controller

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
maybe it plugs into the revmote.

Edit: did anyone notice the two extra buttons on top?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hermit said:
HomShaBom said:
uh wtf fake.
Cold-Steel said:
Totally fake.

Looks like a Madcatz product.
evil ways said:
I wish this wasn't fake as I prefer it to the Wiimote.
heheh

but i can't talk. i said that the next mario game being called "galaxy" was bullshit and now look where we are.

anyway, to me it looks to be a completely seperate accessory for the Wii. Not a shell and not a replacement to the wiimote. Nothing more than another control option.

Tellaerin

Fan-fucking-tastic. Now I'm looking forward to playing my old GC games with that sumbitch - I never did like the Cube controller, and this is exactly the kind of gamepad I wish they had released with the system in the first place.

+1 Nintendo.

dbish

Umm...guys, how is this a good controller for n64 games? ANY games that use the c-buttons as buttons are totally ruined by having to use a stick as them. Furthermore, any Genesis games using the 6 button layout am screwed.

Here's hoping for multiple shells, despite the pain it would give my bank account.

Flipmo23

Defensor said:
HPS-118.jpg

HPS-111.jpg

:)
snes-controlpad1.jpg

:)

Ristamar

dbish said:
Umm...guys, how is this a good controller for n64 games? ANY games that use the c-buttons as buttons are totally ruined by having to use a stick as them. Furthermore, any Genesis games using the 6 button layout am screwed.

Here's hoping for multiple shells, despite the pain it would give my bank account.

*cough*GCController*cough* Anyway, I wouldn't say they're ruined. The Zelda OoT GC release worked just fine.

I don't understand why they chose this design. I can understand putting the d-pad in the primary position, since most VC games will depend on the d-pad more than the stick. But I don't understand why they added a second stick instead of C-buttons.

Whatever.

shaft said:
shut the fuck up you noob ass bitch.

LMFAO!!

they got rid of the GCN-style ridged analog sticks. these looks more comfortable, close to the MS style.

does anyone know what type of stick the nunchuck has?

Bloodwake

Am I the only one who likes the design?

It will serve well for both retro games and newer games. Looks like a winner to me.

etiolate

Banned
That won't work for n64/GC. The analog stick needs to be in the right place and have the preciseness of the GC stick. DS2 is shite for 3d gaming and I expect this might be as well.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
Looks good, I think it will serve its purpose well. But why didn't they announce it during the conference? weird Nin.

olubode said:
maybe it plugs into the revmote.
Technically possible, but a wire attachment to the wiimote seems silly.

Edit: did anyone notice the two extra buttons on top?
I'm thinking those are Zs. For N64 you'd need one for each hand, since it could be used by right or left hand depending on how you held the controller.

ant1532

Banned
sill gaffers, tricks our for kids.

why you guessing the controls, Nintendo posted them next to the official pic...

■a、b、十字、X、Y、L、R、ZR、ZLボタン
(L、Rボタンはアナログ)
■L、Rスティック
■-(マイナス)/Select、Home、+(プラス)/Startボタン

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
It's sad that Nintendo's retro remote resembles Sony's next gen remote.

(that was a Sony burn, btw)

Shmmeee

etiolate said:
That won't work for n64/GC. The analog stick needs to be in the right place

Well, it'll work, just not so well.

and have the preciseness of the GC stick. DS2 is shite for 3d gaming and I expect this might be as well.

Why would a stick made by Nintendo not have the preciseness of a GC stick, but instead of a DS2??

Tellaerin

etiolate said:
That won't work for n64/GC. The analog stick needs to be in the right place and have the preciseness of the GC stick. DS2 is shite for 3d gaming and I expect this might be as well.

The second analog on the GC controller is a worthless nub that's only fit for adjusting camera angles. The fact that this controller has an honest-to-God 2nd stick already makes it a thousand times better for '3d gaming'. And how the hell can you judge the 'preciseness' of a stick just by looking at it? Do you have magic eyes? Or does arranging the sticks like the ones on the DS2 suddenly make the controller perform like a DS2, too? Please, tell us how you came to this brilliant conclusion.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Methink they have dished the shell-concept and released the classic controller as an accessory for the people without GC pad around

Brofist

Flipmo23 said:

well no one is saying this isn't the base controller design for countless controllers that followed it, but the SNES pas didn't have 2 analogue sticks positioned like the DS controllers, which the alternate Wii controller has.

Zaptruder

Banned
Needs prongs... but this was the kind of aesthetic functionality I hoped the DS3 would go for (especially those face buttons)

ant1532 said:
sill gaffers, tricks our for kids.

why you guessing the controls, Nintendo posted them next to the official pic...

■a、b、十字、X、Y、L、R、ZR、ZLボタン
(L、Rボタンはアナログ)
■L、Rスティック
■-(マイナス)/Select、Home、+(プラス)/Startボタン
translation please?

Timotei

■a、b、cross、X、Y、L、R、ZR、ZL buttons
(L and R buttons are analogue buttons)
■L、R sticks
■-("minus")/Select、Home、+("plus")/Start buttons

Hope it helps :lol

etiolate

Banned
Tellaerin said:
The second analog on the GC controller is a worthless nub that's only fit for adjusting camera angles. The fact that this controller has an honest-to-God 2nd stick already makes it a thousand times better for '3d gaming'. And how the hell can you judge the 'preciseness' of a stick just by looking at it? Do you have magic eyes? Or does arranging the sticks like the ones on the DS2 suddenly make the controller perform like a DS2, too? Please, tell us how you came to this brilliant conclusion.

Yes, I can judge its 'preciseness' on that image alone due to the the placing of the left analog stick having a direct impact on control. You hold your thumb out at a different angle on a ds2, because the stick is in the lower position and you get less exact control. The upper position, where your thumb rests straight up instead of at an L position is more natural and more precise. The stick could be as tight as the GC stick, but the position would still hamper it.

For example, on a xbox/360/n54/GC, the stick lines up with a handle side. it is mostly a straight line up, an i position. With the stick to the bottom right of the dpad, you have to stretch your thumb out more into an L position and it influences control. Just look at your hands when you hold controllers. i get better and more precise 3d control with the stick in the upper left.

My question is now, the first rev unveiling showed controller ports on the side of the console that looked like you could use GC sticks with. Any idea if those controller ports are still there and if they work with GC controllers?

cvxfreak

I doubt Nintendo would go from the most comfortable controller ever (GC's) to something uncomfortable. I think it'll be very nice to hold.

I wonder if we can use them with the original GC system as well.

Top Bottom