• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

Anth0ny

I think that was back when Nintendo didn't realise it could launch a console without a Mario game. Also FUCK YOU SM64DS kicks SM64's arse

lawl

I thought GC's launch was fine. Luigi's Mansion wasn't a masterpiece, but it was fun. We got Melee a month later, and that's lasted me 11 years and counting.

I think it was with Wii that they got lazy (lazy port of a GC game as their big title). Hopefully this isn't the start of a pattern, as NES, SNES and N64 had fantastic launches.

All with Mario games. How bout that.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm gonna crosspost:

I absolutely do not have a problem with Nintendo launching with a 2D Mario. It's an exceedingly good business move, no matter how much I'd prefer a HD 3D title.

I would have a problem with them maintaining the same artstyle and soundtrack as the other two NSMBs, though. They are launching a HD console, and frankly I don't give a shit if they're aiming for a wider audience; if the game is showcased at E3 this year looking like it did last year, then they are treating their audience with utter contempt. I don't often agree with the whole Nintendo are lazily rehashing their IP argument, but shitting out a NSMB with Miis crowbarred in and token running on the pad is the dictionary definition of the practice.

Somebody in Nintendo's PR had their head screwed on right when they dropped Pikmin 3 at E3 into the discussion, because I'd be feeling really sour about Nintendo at the moment otherwise.

It's weird because this is literally the first time Nintendo gone with a certain style of a Mario platformer three times. And it's not even that great looking. You had the original SMB and then the Japan SMB2, two Mario Galaxies, and all the rest are different from one another (you could make a thin case for others being similar though.)

I think they're feeling the pressure to get something, ANYTHING, out and I'm not understanding why. They should have been able to build a whole new Mario concept from scratch with the time they've had. It's not like inside NCL itself they've been pumping out tons and tons of games lately, they need to use their time and resources better.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm gonna crosspost:

I absolutely do not have a problem with Nintendo launching with a 2D Mario. It's an exceedingly good business move, no matter how much I'd prefer a HD 3D title.

I would have a problem with them maintaining the same artstyle and soundtrack as the other two NSMBs, though.
That's the point, aside from few people almost everybody would love to see a new 2d Mario just not a NSMB because of its lazy, anonymous art style.
They've just throw the standard models of the characters and enemies in a little above average platformer, and now they will do it again (the third time) but with the Miis.

radcliff

Do we know who provided the update to Kotaku? Was it NOA, NOE, NCL? I would take anything other than from NCL with a grain of salt as I would think only a select few in NCL would know exactly what this game is. If the update were from NOA or NOE, it could all just be speculation based on what little info the reps from those branches were provided about the game, basically, what they saw at E3.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
NSMB DS was underwhelming and forgettable. NSMB Wii was a lot of fun, and much tighter in design. Both have an hideously sterile art direction.

Knowing that NSMB Wii U will by all accounts use the same art, and probably near identical assets, sucks away lot of the hype I'd normally have for a new Mario platformer. Shoehorning Miis into the package does absolutely nothing for me, and I'm not even opposed to Miis in the first place (I have no beef with them being in Mario Kart).

I fully expect this to be a cheap launch game with a ton of reused NSMB Wii content, and some tacky NSMB 3DS cross platform shit. Blah. Prove me wrong Nintendo, with something more interesting.

This, word for word.

And btw, NDS launch lineup was truly terrible (thank god a bit later we got the amazing Canvas Curse and Meteos), but NGC's ruled.
Loved Luigi's Mansion being so different, adored Wave Race and well, Rogue Squadron II was a ka to me. We also got Melee just about a month later.

"Based on" doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be identical to. I don't have high hopes but it's possible that it'll be a new feeling game, as opposed to the same thing since NSMB on the DS.

woahjeez

Banned
You guys are going to be really disappointed when it turns out to be exactly what they showed last year. Wii U tablets and 3DSes will be able to be used as secondary controllers for when you go down pipes. That will be the amazing feature.

NSMBW was a great version of a game I've played a million times before. It was the moment the Mario mainline series became like the Mario Kart series, for the worst. They're technically and mechanically competent games, maybe even marginally 'better' than their predecessors, but playing a new Mario Kart or NSMB is like listening to a band that releases new albums that sound the same as their hit album from the 80s/90s. It doesn't aspire beyond anything that doesn't already exist. It's boring. It's totally lacking in imagination.
Basically. Like I said it's probably going to become something akin to Mario Kart. It will have some little gimmicks here and there but for the most part the game's core will stay the same.

Oh I know why it is. Nintendo is nothing if not completely shameless when it comes to obtaining money, whatever the cheapest way possible to said money may be.

And it's not even the idea of Mario Mii's itself. Mario is always whored, and low-effort shit is par the course for launch windows. This is easy shit that Nintendo can put ten guys on and have the entire Nintendo community slogging it off and calling it a masterpiece for the cost of a dozen chicken nuggets. They know how to manipulate their fans. Chris Kohler is already writing three articles about the groundbreaking nature of this paradigm shift.

But man, it's bad enough I had to spend an entire generation looking at the hideous Mii's. Now they will follow for another generation, with every developer painfully shoehorning them in as that 'extra character' instead of, I don't know, designing an extra character with some real personality. I mean, shit, Mii's are so fucking lazy that all they really are is a head, not that this is particularly enlightening commentary. You're just really designing your head, because the body is mass producted two color shite that only Nintendo could love. Nintendo doesn't just cut corners in hardware, they cut corners in art design too. I kinda feel that when I see a Mii, it's also code for "this game is almost certain to be a shallow mini-game compilation of some sort mass produced for the casualtard set." Naturally there are exceptions, but not many.

Wow......lol. I'm not even a fan of NSMB Wii but you and a number of other posters are taking this way too far and seriously. I also am pretty sure most platformer junkies like Anihawk were in agreement that NSMB Wii was a very good game so I'm not sure where this assment that it's low effort shit.

TheNatural

My Member!
Tangent, but are ANY 2D platformers good looking with flat out 3D polygonal characters? That is, without some sort of toon or cel shading or coloring like Donkey Kong Country.

I don't think it's a good look for 3D models in a 2D platformer, without some sort of shading to make it look like a 2D sprite - if that makes sense.

Amir0x

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
Wow......lol. I'm not even a fan of NSMB Wii but you and a number of other posters are taking this way too far and seriously. I also am pretty sure most platformer junkies like Anihawk were in agreement that NSMB Wii was a very good game so I'm not sure where this assment that it's low effort shit.
my post wasn't even about NSMB Wii. It was about Mario Bros. Wii U.

My feeling of NSMB Wii is it's thoroughly mediocre, but not shit, except the final two worlds which are all time Mario classics.

Sure if you like bad controls. When you control worse than an N64 game, that's not a good sign.

Thumb strap makes them acceptable. And the additional content makes it all worthwhile. Guys, I was the bomb at that game, and I'm lame as FUCK as video games, so the controls being bad is pretty much an O.J. level lie in my book

Tangent, but are ANY 2D platformers good looking with flat out 3D polygonal characters? That is, without some sort of toon or cel shading or coloring like Donkey Kong Country.

I don't think it's a good look for 3D models in a 2D platformer, without some sort of shading to make it look like a 2D sprite - if that makes sense.

WzLoB.jpg

yup

jett

D-Member

Eh? Of course there are. Off the top of my head Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ugh, really Nintendo?! Fucking Miis :/ nothing says "Wii U is underpowered" more than fucking Miis. This better be some downloadable game you can get for 10 bucks and made by 5 guys in a month.

Miis are popular because of their simplicity. Nobody wants a Playstation Home avatar.

I have no problem with them being the Wii mascots or being in Mario games. As if Mario was such a pristine, unpolluted franchise before lol.

Grymm

Banned
Oh wow just saw the update about it being based off last years NSMBMii game. You have my condolences.

It's not all bad though. Since it will probably be the same game on both 3DS and WiiU you can probably do cool cross platform stuff between them by linking your 3DS and WiiU friend codes such as

every step you take on the 3DS adds coins to your WiiU version
make Miis on the WiiU and transfer them to the 3DS version
maybe some type of street pass stuff if you live in Japan
maybe extra content for going to Best Buy and/or McDonalds
share DLC between them

all sorts of cool things.

Amir0x

Banned
This would be a great game to include with all new systems (ala Wii Sports).

Otherwise, meh.

i actually wonder if this 'mario game' is actually a Mario-themed Party type game for package with Wii U. Not Mario Party, so to speak, but like Wii Play, a series of mini-games to show the 'potential' of the tablet controller and whatever.

Beth Cyra

Unless this is something with only like 1/4th of the normal amount of Mario content is there any chance they pack it in.

Not that I mind. Can't say I was a fan of the art style but at the same time I didn't think it was nearly as bad as many people.

Will pick it up day one for my son and hopefully a couple of 3rd party games.

JimboJones

I'd take Mii's over the two coloured toads although having more characters (like wario, princess) would be nice.

I do hope it's gonna look/sound a bit nicer though, i'd be dissapointed if we just get HD NSMBWii art.

Still, I look forward to the gameplay.

impact

Banned
Miis are popular because of their simplicity. Nobody wants a Playstation Home avatar.

I have no problem with them being the Wii mascots or being in Mario games. As if Mario was such a pristine, unpolluted franchise before lol.

Miis are popular because they're forced. I didn't wanna make one for 3DS, but Nintendo made me. So I made a kawaii azn girl ^_^

Diablos54

i actually wonder if this 'mario game' is actually a Mario-themed Party type game for package with Wii U. Not Mario Party, so to speak, but like Wii Play, a series of mini-games to show the 'potential' of the tablet controller and whatever.
Don't think like that, you're only going to be more disappointed when you find out it's just a 2D Mario platformer, why do it to yourself!? :p

my post wasn't even about NSMB Wii. It was about Mario Bros. Wii U.

My feeling of NSMB Wii is it's thoroughly mediocre, but not shit, except the final two worlds which are all time Mario classics.

Please explain to me how based on 4 levels you are able to determine its a cheap cash in and is a low quality effort. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics or the mii inclusion but ill wait and see. This kind of jumping to conclusions reminds me of how everyone thought new super mario bros wii was a port of the ds game or from the same engine.

Box

Oh I know why it is. Nintendo is nothing if not completely shameless when it comes to obtaining money, whatever the cheapest way possible to said money may be.

And it's not even the idea of Mario Mii's itself. Mario is always whored, and low-effort shit is par the course for launch windows. This is easy shit that Nintendo can put ten guys on and have the entire Nintendo community slogging it off and calling it a masterpiece for the cost of a dozen chicken nuggets. They know how to manipulate their fans. Chris Kohler is already writing three articles about the groundbreaking nature of this paradigm shift.

But man, it's bad enough I had to spend an entire generation looking at the hideous Mii's. Now they will follow for another generation, with every developer painfully shoehorning them in as that 'extra character' instead of, I don't know, designing an extra character with some real personality. I mean, shit, Mii's are so fucking lazy that all they really are is a head, not that this is particularly enlightening commentary. You're just really designing your head, because the body is mass producted two color shite that only Nintendo could love. Nintendo doesn't just cut corners in hardware, they cut corners in art design too. I kinda feel that when I see a Mii, it's also code for "this game is almost certain to be a shallow mini-game compilation of some sort mass produced for the casualtard set." Naturally there are exceptions, but not many.
I think you're being melodramatic.

Amir0x

Banned
Please explain to me how based on 4 levels you are able to determine its a cheap cash in and is a low quality effort. I'm not a fan of the aesthetics or the mii inclusion but ill wait and see. This kind of jumping to conclusions reminds me of how everyone thought new super mario bros wii was a port of the ds game or from the same engine.

My commentary is on Mii's. My feeling is it's in all likelihood a cheap low-effort shit because that was the general standard for any Wii game with Mii's in it and on top of that this is probably going to be a launch window game, in my opinion. So you combine the two and you get what I feel is a fairly good prediction, judging by game launch history. I'm not a big fan of NSMB Wii either, so that doesn't inspire much hope.

Box said:
I think you're being melodramatic.

I'm being only what I really feel. Mii's are garbage

Grymm

Banned
My commentary is on Mii's. My feeling is it's in all likelihood a cheap low-effort shit because that was the general standard for any Wii game with Mii's in it and on top of that this is probably going to be a launch window game, in my opinion. So you combine the two and you get what I feel is a fairly good prediction, judging by game launch history. I'm not a big fan of NSMB Wii either, so that doesn't inspire much hope.

I'm being only what I really feel. Mii's are garbage

But dude, they'll be HD Miis.

HD only available on television sets that support it. Any use of NSMBMii on the WiiU controller will not be in HD along with any 3DS version. Certain restrictions may apply. See Nintendo.com for details. Rated E for Everybody.

Amir0x

Banned
Well then I guess I think you are melodramatic.

well that's fine, but Mii's are still shite

Grymm said:
But dude, they'll be HD Miis.

HD only available on television sets that support it. Any use of NSMBMii on the WiiU controller will not be in HD along with any 3DS version. Certain restrictions may apply. See Nintendo.com for details. Rated E for Everybody.

Heh, yeah. Instead of the five man staffs they had for their casual/party lineups on Wii, they'll need ten guy development teams now and budget maybe twice as large! Might even surpass $20. ;)

Stupid HD

Shion

This is something you expect from a small, incredibly lazy and untalented developer with scarce resources:
2114464_med.png

When it's Nintendo we're talking about, you expect something closer to this:

Diablos54

you're foiling my plan to get myself un-hyped so I can be pleasantly surprised :mad:
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Otherwise you'll just run off with crazy ideas and meltdown when you find out the truth. I'm just protecting you Ami, you can thank me later!

Amir0x said:
This x10000000. I hope they update them in someway, but who am I kidding?

Amir0x

Banned
This is something you expect from a small, incredibly lazy and untalented developer with scarce resources:

When it's Nintendo we're talking about, you expect something closer to this:

Really, it's odd, because Nintendo created this for a character like Wario:

wario-land-shake-it-20080725013457438.jpg

They're capable! I just want best Nintendo to come out, not lazy Nintendo!

Box

Yeah they're pretty bad.

There not in too many games I'd be otherwise playing though. Maybe they're incorporated more in the 3DS. I don't one one of those.

I didn't like how they used them for file selection in stuff like Metroid Prime 3, that was really jarring.

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out, odds are NSMBWU will be a brand new game and not just an HD port with Miis added. The footage showed at E3 2011 showed levels not in the Wii or 3DS game.

boyshine

Koji Kondo, you’d better be the lead composer and bring some new tunes for this one. All my greatest Mario moments are related to the soundtrack, which is why I can’t list NSMBW as even close to being among my favourite Mario games.

Also, I’m starting to dislike Charles Martinets Mario voice, especially the title screen voices. Don’t have Mario speak any words, just stick to the woo, hah, ow, wohoo, hahah and owowow sounds thanks.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah they're pretty bad.

There not in too many games I'd be otherwise playing though. Maybe they're incorporated more in the 3DS. I don't one one of those.

I didn't like how they used them for file selection in stuff like Metroid Prime 3, that was really jarring.

I didn't mind it as a... bobble head in the ship. I thought that was the only time I kind of giggled at a Mii being used.

I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out, odds are NSMBWU will be a brand new game and not just an HD port with Miis added. The footage showed at E3 2011 showed levels not in the Wii or 3DS game.

I think the problem is this is the third game in the blandest art direction mario ever, and people are hoping maybe with Wii U... Nintendo would try a little harder?

Only reason it doesn't really kill me too much is I believe all console developers get the "three lazy cash-in" rule for console launch windows, because they're all scrambling to get these things out and let's face it things get rushed. If this is a launch window game, we'll all just hope it's a temporary thing until they can get their talented teams working on stuff for a decent period of time.

jett

D-Member
The moment you play NSMBwii and truly realize it cost 10 cents and a bag of chips is when you see the "rolling hills" in the first level. I mean, it just looks like garbage. It looks like something done in a fanmade game maker. I don't understand how so little care could've been put into the visuals of that game.

Damn, this was the update I feared from the beginning. I think the lesson Nintendo learned from this gen is why put so much effort into 3D Mario when 2D Mario with a lot less effort sells ten times as much. We'll get a 3D Mario eventually but Nintendo's going to bet their future on 2D Mario for the foreseeable future.

Let's pray that they at least do something about that artstyle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Even Kirby's Epic Yarn, for all its snooze fest gameplay, has an incredible art direction.

Basically all of Nintendo's current 2D platformers have excellent art. Except fucking Super Mario Bros.

Top Bottom