• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Dang

Eh, I thought many of those hidden jokes are pretty neat, like the players using Enter the Dungeon not being affected by the Stone Cold Basilisk in its art.

A_Dang

More Un Set notes:

If each Un set has a "game within a game" card, what will the spin Unstable puts on it be?

What are the odds of having an "Infernal Spawn of Infernal Spawn of Infernal Spawn of Evil" card?

Justin

More Un Set notes:

If each Un set has a "game within a game" card, what will the spin Unstable puts on it be?

What are the odds of having an "Infernal Spawn of Infernal Spawn of Infernal Spawn of Evil" card?

I want to say he said wasn't going to do any of the weirder cards this time around like game within a game and dexterity challenges but I might be miss-remembering and its hard to search through his million tumblr posts to fine where he said it.

I'm expecting a card like "Satanic Blood Orgy of Infernal Evil", an enchantment that generates 8/8 flying trample demons every turn. It represents a birthday party and the tokens are cute rat things with party balloons.

Daedardus

Can you imagine that they put a cheap sticker on a card that is now worth $500? They must probably have like 100 stickered Black Lotuses lying out there.

Eh, I thought many of those hidden jokes are pretty neat, like the players using Enter the Dungeon not being affected by the Stone Cold Basilisk in its art.

My favorite is the foil box on the Goblin Mime.

Can you imagine that they put a cheap sticker on a card that is now worth $500? They must probably have like 100 stickered Black Lotuses lying out there.

Multiple members of R&D have said in the past that "people would cry" if they knew some of the cards that have been stickered over for playtesting, heh.

it's not like wotc could sell the cards they are stockpiling directly on the 2nd hand market limiting their worth considerably. They literally put 1k+ cards into boosters before.

Unless they go down and then ethics don't mean shit anyway.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
What goes on at the Prerelease Events for new card packs? Do they preview all the cards or is it just a chance to score promo stuff.

I'm reading Generation Decks and I love how Garfield thought that people would only buy 2 starters and a couple of boosters a year (!!)... his idea that each game would be a reveal of new cards was certainly cool (people waiting for a player to play a card he or she had never seen before), but maybe a bit naive. lol

What goes on at the Prerelease Events for new card packs? Do they preview all the cards or is it just a chance to score promo stuff.

I'm reading Generation Decks and I love how Garfield thought that people would only buy 2 starters and a couple of boosters a year (!!)... his idea that each game would be a reveal of new cards was certainly cool (people waiting for a player to play a card he or she had never seen before), but maybe a bit naive. lol
In the past, prereleases were the first time you could ever see the cards, but time zones and the Internet meant that players who did their research had an unfair advantage, so now they instead preview cards over the period of two weeks, ending the week before the prerelease. Iconic Masters will be a throwback to the old way, with no previews until the prerelease at HasCon.

The appeal of the prerelease now is that it's a casual event that tons of players attend, and the difference between beginners and experts is minimized.

As for Garfield's expectations, remember that Magic was the first of its kind. All he had to compare with was board games and normal trading cards.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
In the past, prereleases were the first time you could ever see the cards,
The appeal of the prerelease now is that it's a casual event that tons of players attend, and the difference between beginners and experts is minimized.

As for Garfield's expectations, remember that Magic was the first of its kind. All he had to compare with was board games and normal trading cards.

So, I'm assuming that prerelease events will be store specific in a sense?

And good point about Garfield. Amazing what he and WotC was able to pull off.

So, I'm assuming that prerelease events will be store specific in a sense?

And good point about Garfield. Amazing what he and WotC was able to pull off.
All stores run the same event: a Sealed tournament where everyone is given a set of booster packs to build a deck from. Some places will do bonus stuff, but that's entirely up to them.

I really like watching Saito fine tuning UR Control with every event.
DHtD8o-UwAA4YS1.jpg

He also started out with a couple supreme wills in favour of disallow but dropped those entirely after the PT.

not sure which ones you mean?

It's quickly parsed

4x Censor
4x Disallow
4x Harnessed Lightning
4x Glimmer of Genius
4x Torrential Gearhulk
4x Magma Spray
3x Hieroglyphic Illumination
3x Abrade
3x Essence Scatter
2x Sweltering Suns

4x Wandering Fumarole
4x Spirebluff Canal
3x Aether Hub
8x Island
6x Mountain

Sideboard:

4x Negate
3x Dragonmaster Outcast
2x Summary Dismissal
2x Glorybringer
2x Chandra's Defeat
2x Kozilek's Return

Been working on a Mairsil list and about 16 cards above what I need and that's still missing some utility for mairsil. Here's what I got
34 Lands

Ramp
1 Dimir Signet
1 Expedition Map
1 Izzet Signet
1 Mana Crypt
1 Rakdos Signet
1 Sol Ring
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Talisman of Indulgence
1 Wayfarer's Bauble

Card Filtering
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Dack Fayden
1 Ancient Excavation
1 Brainstorm
1 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Thought Scour
1 Frantic Search
1 Faithless Looting
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Ponder
1 Preordain
1 Serum Visions

Draw
1 Mystic Remora
1 Rhystic Study
1 Dig Through Time
1 Epiphany at the Drownyard
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Treasure Cruise

Counter / Removal / Wrath
1 Arcane Denial
1 Chaos Warp
1 Commit // Memory
1 Counterspell
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Fire Covenant
1 Force of Will
1 Izzet Charm
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Rakdos Charm
1 Swan Song
1 Terminate
1 Collective Brutality
1 Damnation
1 Subterranean Tremors
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Murderous Cut

Tutor
1 Entomb
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Intuition
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Buried Alive
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Fabricate

Miscellaneous
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Rise // Fall
1 Mystic Retrieval
1 Dark Ritual
1 Anger
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Notion Thief
1 Snapcaster Mage

Reanimation
1 Animate Dead
1 Necromancy
1 Reanimate
1 The Scarab God

Reanimate / Mairsil
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
1 Kozilek, the Great Distortion
1 Memnarch
1 Torrential Gearhulk

Mairsil Utility
1 Arcanis the Omnipotent
1 Cavern Harpy
1 Cinderhaze Wretch
1 Honor-Worn Shaku
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 Eater of the Dead
1 Infernal Denizen
1 Minion of Leshrac
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
1 Ætherling

I don't want to rip my hand apart to cage stuff with Mairsil so I went with Reanimation strategies instead. The mighty combo with quicksilver elemental was shut down by the rules manager and is probably just not worth it now.

Been working on a Mairsil list and about 16 cards above what I need and that's still missing some utility for mairsil. Here's what I got

I don't want to rip my hand apart to cage stuff with Mairsil so I went with Reanimation strategies instead. The mighty combo with quicksilver elemental was shut down by the rules manager and is probably just not worth it now.

What do you think of Staff of Domination in the list?

I'd actually consider running some of the Greedy Ramp in Mairsil. Making him into a Basalt Monument that doesn't stay tapped or even just a plain old Gilded Lotus is probably better than a lot of people give it credit for.

I'm reading Generation Decks and I love how Garfield thought that people would only buy 2 starters and a couple of boosters a year (!!)...

Magic predated (and in some ways opened the door for) the American hobby game explosion in the 2000s. Nowadays you look at something like this and if it's a game people can play often enough you expect them to pay $100 a year (like, say, two Dominion expansions annually) but at that point the growth was in small games you could sell at a checkout counter for ten bucks. A starter fit their expectations of the market they knew about better.

it's not like wotc could sell the cards they are stockpiling directly on the 2nd hand market limiting their worth considerably. They literally put 1k+ cards into boosters before.

Well, there's ways they could give them away to employees without falling afoul of tax laws or anything.

Yeef

There's an uncommon land that's Cavern of Souls without the uncounterable clause.

Walk the Plank is also excellent flavor.

WOW

Walk the Plank full art is amazing

Ah, it's beautiful.

EDIT:
Unclaimed Sanctuary
Land
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
T: Add {1} to your mana pool.
T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast a creature spell of the chosen type.

This is great for the new Tribal Commander decks.

traveler

Not Wario
Man, Sun Titan eats a HUGE downgrade for only 1 less mana. Bishop looks.... playable, but that's just insane when you compare the two.

Love the art and flavor on walk the plank. This set is looking like it'll do a better job of capturing the adventure/savage wilds flavor of Zendikar than BfZ did. Even has vampires!

What's wrong with the treasure tokens?

Wulfric

So happy to see Chris Moeller's Walk the Plank. I presume this was his final final card?

These are pretty good promos overall. The Buy-A-Box packs are stacked, 4 rare cards and 2 foils plus the Rebecca basics. That's doing it right.

traveler

Not Wario
It's kind of sad we're not getting masterpieces here. This would have been a much cooler set for theming than Amonkhet- pirate treasures, tribal greatest hits, or even mesoamerican cave painting style invocations similar to the hieroglyphic invocations proposed for Amonkhet.

Holy butts, is a Mirrodin Chalice of the Void really a $75 card? I just, like, found one, like, in my bookshelf.

What's wrong with the treasure tokens?

I had a custom set with a pirate theme (based off an offhand convo in this thread actually) I got most of the way through idly designing last year.... it had Treasure tokens and Raid as its returning mechanic.

This is like the third time I had a half-finished set where I'd come to such similar design decisions as the version they finally printed. I should've made it to the GDS2 round of 8, dammit!

So how good is Unclaimed Territory as a Cavern replacement? How much did "can't be countered" matter?

Can't be countered is enormously important for Modern play, honestly more so than the mana fixing. A lot of the decks that run it don't even care about that property.

For EDH, Unclaimed Territory is going to be an auto-include in tons of decks, though.

Card names I'll be crabby if we don't see some variant of by block's end: First Mate, Sea Legs, Boarding Party, Wash Ashore, Sink, Shipwreck, Keel-Haul, Mutiny, Buried Treasure, Sea Shanty, Treasure Map, Pirate's Eyepatch, Captain's Parrot.

Lucario

Slivers have close to perfect mana now, so that's neat.

4 Sliver Hive, 4 Cavern, 2-4 Unclaimed Territory, 4 Mutavault, then some mixture of Reflecting Pool, Forest, City of Bras, Gemstone Mine and Breeding pool to round it out.

Reflecting Pool wasn't really viable with 8 prismatic lands in the deck, but 10-14 makes me significantly more comfortable with it. It can't cast a vial on turn 1 as your only land, but still.

Santiako

Slivers have close to perfect mana now, so that's neat.

4 Sliver Hive, 4 Cavern, 2-4 Unclaimed Territory, 4 Mutavault, then some mixture of Reflecting Pool, Forest, City of Bras, Gemstone Mine and Breeding pool to round it out.

Reflecting Pool wasn't really viable with 8 prismatic lands in the deck, but 10-14 makes me significantly more comfortable with it. It can't cast a vial on turn 1 as your only land, but still.

You need some swamps for Sedge Sliver.

I'm just impressed it's at Uncommon.

Between this and the Deserts it's starting to feel like someone actually wants lands to be up for consideration during drafts instead of just being dead cards.

Funny how terrible Walk the Plank is in modern. Even Victim of the Night has better conditions.
Can't be countered is enormously important for Modern play, honestly more so than the mana fixing. A lot of the decks that run it don't even care about that property.

For EDH, Unclaimed Territory is going to be an auto-include in tons of decks, though.
Uncounterabilty is almost pointless these days. There's only UW and Jeskai decks that even run hard counters and they make up a tiny amount of the meta.
I'd actually consider running some of the Greedy Ramp in Mairsil. Making him into a Basalt Monument that doesn't stay tapped or even just a plain old Gilded Lotus is probably better than a lot of people give it credit for.
I thought I had Gilded Lotus in it but guess I have 1 more card to cut.
What do you think of Staff of Domination in the list?
Without the easy infinite combo it's a bit underwhelming.

Unclaimed Territory is a great budget Cavern. Not as good, but Uncommon in Fall set vs Rare/Mythic from Spring sets=worth the compromise.

Modern has 2 decks that play creature counters: UW and Jeskai Control. Grixis DS can't respond to a creature on the stack before it resolves.

That said, I'm laughing at how bad that 1 Mana cheaper Sun Titan is, like.. they couldn't have even given it ETB or attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom