• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrommert

Banned
Though this was an interesting exchange on Phil Spencer's Twitter Account

HxTvGFb.png

The Post by @DylanJohnston5 references bringing backwards compat to xbox one

This comes after a mention during BUILD Conference that backwards compatibility was possible on xbox one, that they were "still thinking it through"

Here's to hoping at E3 :)

Tagg9

I don't see how this would be possible for 360 games (different architecture and all).

The Xbox One can barely play Xbox One games at a decent framerate/resolution, how is it going to emulate 360 games?

I don't think it's technically feasible with their CPU. Would love to be wrong.

Not until 2015 though at least.
I don't see how this would be possible for 360 games (different architecture and all).

The Xbox One can barely play Xbox One games at a decent framerate/resolution, how is it going to emulate 360 games?

I dunno man. The same way the PS3 emulated the PS2? PS3 games could barely run PS3 games at a decent framerate/resolution but it still did emulate the PS2.

I'm talking about software BC here not HW BC since you can see as of right now there's plenty of PS2 classics on the PS3.

Jito

Banned
Phil continues to agree with everything and promise the world. No surprises here when nothing comes of it.

If that Halo collection wasn't so heavily rumored I'd think there was a chance. Then again, what if the discs are just 360 copies that "play better" somehow on XB1?

It's a nice idea but I can't see it happening now that the console is launch. Perhaps Phil is talking about going forward with BC for the next console?

Orayn

It probably isn't. They could maybe make it work on a case by case basis through DynaRec like the 360 did for the OG Xbox, but the results probably be spotty to the point where it might not be worth it at all.

_Ryo_

If this happened it would push Sony to allow PS2 and PS1 disc based back compat for PS4, so I'm all for it.

bigkrev

In the "It's good to want things" section...

This isn't something that you can easily do without planning it from the start

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think it would be nice if MS unveiled a TV Tuner device for the Xbox One.

Hear me out, folks.

It would be a standalone TV Tuner, with all the normal functionality that entails, but it'll also have the Xenon chipset built-in for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. As a standalone, it'll work with X360 game downloads and connect to an external hard drive for storage space. Hook it up to an Xbox One with the HDMI-out and a USB cable, and you can piggyback the disc drive and storage from an X1 to be able to use retail discs on it.

Sell it for $149, and it'll be a hot commodity. Offer versions compatible with cable TV and DirecTV, and everyone with an X1 would take a look.

I swear, I should be working at Microsoft.

-PXG-

He said it was a good push, or rather a good pitch. Don't means nothing snd confirms nothing. People shouldn't read that much into things, especially Twitter posts.

The fact that Phil is taking feedback and responding in itself is huge! I wonder how the X1 would've been if he was in charge from the beginning!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
God darn it Phil, you magnificent bastard. You're the hero Team Xbox needs, not the one it deserves at the moment.

jonezer4

I'm assuming it would, at best, be half-baked emulation like the 360 had, which was terrible. Playing a game that's 5 years old at half the framerate and with less online features isn't worth their effort or my time.

JNT

It probably isn't. They could maybe make it work on a case by case basis through DynaRec like the 360 did for the OG Xbox, but the results probably be spotty to the point where it might not be worth it at all.

As far as I can tell, too little serial power on the One's CPU. They might be referring to some sort of streaming service though.

RE_Player

It will never be native backwards compatible. Maybe some streaming solution like Sony but you won't just put in a 360 disc and play.

Has a console ever not had backwards compatibility for the previous generation at launch but added it later?

LordOfChaos

The cloud.

Yes though, that Xenon CPU would be an impossibility to emulate at full speed even on overclocked Haswell parts, let alone the Jaguar cores. If there is BC, it will be in the cloud or a future revision with the chips baked in.

To put it in so long after launch (and at a point where 360-exclusive games are near endangered) is a massive waste of time and effort. The only reason they would do it is for the marketing push. Marketing is pretty much the only reason backwards compatibility has ever existed in any console.

Hasney

I'm assuming this would be like PS2 Classics on PS3 right now, but hopefully with disc support as well for people who owned the game. It was a shame Sony didn't open up games confirmed to work on their software emulation solution to discs, but hopefully someone does this generation.

Barzul

Microsoft invented Direct X! I'm sure they could easily figure out backwards compatibility (have some of the best software engineers) if they wanted to. They probably just don't want to kill 360 sales yet.

geordiemp

The fact that Phil is taking feedback and responding in itself is huge! I wonder how the X1 would've been if he was in charge from the beginning!

Shame its a bit late....

Imagine if they had a second CPU in the box (360 CPU) instead of all the Kinect and TV rubbish.

Would of cost MS less and they would have probably kept all of their 360 players....

Makes you wonder what marketing people actually do

Probably just means a streaming service. Didn't they demonstrate to journalists halo 4 streaming on a phone at some point or something?

DedValve

Banned

Not until 2015 though at least.

I dunno man. The same way the PS3 emulated the PS2? PS3 games could barely run PS3 games at a decent framerate/resolution but it still did emulate the PS2.

I'm talking about software BC here not HW BC since you can see as of right now there's plenty of PS2 classics on the PS3.

PS3 and 360 where designed with backwards compatibility in mind. Even I ps3 still removed some of the architecture they had something as it can play most ps2 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom