• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Netcode in Marvel seems pretty fantastic as the early reports indicated

Phinor

Tucked away at the end is this little nugget:

I've a feeling that prediction is going to be about as accurate as all similar systems whether it's online stores like Amazon trying to recommend you something, movie sites like Netflix or Steam queue/is this relevant to you/etc. That is, completely worthless. There's almost never enough data to come even close to being useful(*). Hey you bought a wallet? Here's thousand more wallets you might be interested in because we know you like wallets now. You liked this very specific turn based space strategy game? Here's a garbage space RTS that has just about nothing in common with the other game but hey, this was the best we could do...

It just never works and I doubt Valve suddenly figures it out based on their recent efforts. There's a very specific moment when I lost my remaining faith in Valve and their ability to improve the store page and that's the moment they removed games you own from the front page top sellers list. Why? To show you few more games on the front page you might be interested in buying instead of providing accurate data? A little thing but it annoys me every day, having to click an extra button to see what is actually selling.

(*) I have rated ~1500 movies on a website called Movielens. It still fails to recommend me movies accurately. Sure, every now and then it predicts accurately but the hit/miss ratio is still really bad considering the amount of data I have given it.

oipic

As long as these things continue to happen i'm not too excited for that change. They really need to improve the relevancy feature.

Yep - if personalised ratings are to be determined via the same algorithm that drives the 'similar to' system, then it'll be a flimsy system at best, and laughably hit or miss at worst.

It's a good iniative, but I'd wager it's hard to pull off successfully without a good sprinkling of educated 'human' curation - something Valve would be keen to avoid, obviously.

Monooboe

I quite like the way Valve decided to go with their problem, the graph seems like the best solution. I remember hoping back when the graph first appeared, that it would be easy to see why the change happened and now you can.

Jawmuncher

Can confirm about the forced Vsync. Thread is complaining about it causing stuttering. Kinda like Nier where atm you wanna play with the borderless windowed app

FLD

Those of you with a Steam Controller, have you experienced issues with the analog stick acting weird all of a sudden? I first noticed it in Cold Steel. The character would constantly slow down to a walk if I ran in anything other than a perfectly straight line. At first I thought it was just a weird issue with the game and was able to "fix" it by changing the response curve to aggressive in the bindings.

But I noticed in the overall controller settings that when I'm testing the analog stick it's acting super wonky around the edges. I'll push it all the way and hold and the input dot just starts shaking and even pushing back slightly. If I rotate it it doesn't go in a perfect circle, either.

And now it's doing the opposite in Ys II where I'll let the stick go and it just keeps registering the input for an extra second or so. So, for example in a menu, it just shoots right past what I'm trying to stop on. It's getting kind of annoying...

I haven't paid attention to hardware upgrades in a long while, when is the best time for a full refresh? Next generation of graphics cards, cpus and so on? I have a 980ti and i53570k but I want to enjoy consistent 4k60 or 1440p144 and no vr stuttering for a few years? When next year will such things be possible, cost be damned?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So, IGNs Youtube channel just uploaded the entire story mode cutscenes from Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

Surely the publisher will be pissed?

Those of you with a Steam Controller, have you experienced issues with the analog stick acting weird all of a sudden? I first noticed it in Cold Steel. The character would constantly slow down to a walk if I ran in anything other than a perfectly straight line. At first I thought it was just a weird issue with the game and was able to "fix" it by changing the response curve to aggressive in the bindings.

But I noticed in the overall controller settings that when I'm testing the analog stick it's acting super wonky around the edges. I'll push it all the way and hold and the input dot just starts shaking and even pushing back slightly. If I rotate it it doesn't go in a perfect circle, either.

And now it's doing the opposite in Ys II where I'll let the stick go and it just keeps registering the input for an extra second or so. So, for example in a menu, it just shoots right past what I'm trying to stop on. It's getting kind of annoying...

Try recalibrating the controller in bpm

I'll be flying to Tennessee tomorrow for a few weeks to take care of my grandmother who had a major surgery. My main pc is connected to ethernet so is there any way to stream to a laptop while I'm there? If not I have my handhelds but I just thought I'd ask, she'll be asleep a lot

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bionic Commando -- MB-83EF75B281B73435 - Taken by Pixieking. 13 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-4B09CAAEE29F38A9
Renegade Ops Collection -- MB-D552B322796FE2F8
Sonic Adventure 2 -- MB-7947558354B19A18 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 3 entrants total.
Sonic Generations Collection -- MB-4C755812B433A40D - Taken by fuzzy123. 13 entrants total.
The Walking Dead: Season 1 -- MB-FDB93F20B93FEE98

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for DmC: Devil May Cry failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.
Error: The key you tried to add for Strider failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

t1505957778z1.png

FLD

Try recalibrating the controller in bpm

That seems to have improved it a little, thanks. I really wonder what's causing this, though. I've never had an analog stick bug out this way. Usually they'll loosen up or start leaning towards one side over time but this one still feels perfectly fine physically.

Erekiddo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Erekiddo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg

Dungeon Souls -- MB-E9B2D2A6295F32CD - Taken by bobnowhere. 5 entrants total.
Neon Chrome -- MB-4D2F98CB2C0D17D3 - Taken by fspm. 7 entrants total.
RIVE: Wreck, Hack, Die, Retry -- MB-BB30BD29E47A7EE5 - Taken by rainking187. 6 entrants total.
Shadow Of Mordor -- MB-CB213883CDFB5DBA - Taken by Smeagol. 18 entrants total.

t1505888240z1.png

Lain

The move to include developers/publishers right under the review "score" is a new addition because of the histogram update? Cause it's useful to have it up there instead of just buried at the end of the list of stuff, those they are still present down there as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's honestly too much shit on a store page.

Above the fold you have:
- Steam header
- Account login header
- Wishlist and cart layer
- In-store navigation menu
- Search
- Categories
- Title
- Community Hub button
- Asset carousel
- Small asset carousel nav controls
- Header image
- Description
- Recent reviews
- All reviews
- Release date
- Developer
- Publisher
- Tags

Then as you scroll below the fold:
- Discovery Queue navs
- Early access header
- Early access disclaimer
- Developer early access message (collapsed)
- Buy text
- Platform icons
- Promotion information
- Discount info
- Price info
- Add to cart
- Is this game relevant to you?
- 4-5 relevance segments, several with a carousel of friend avatar images
- Feature block
- Recent updates (most recent updates also have image headers so enjoy!)
- Discussions banner
- VR feature block
- Languages block
- Achievements block
- Game description
- Title again
- Tags again, this time listed as genre
- Developer again
- Publisher again
- Release date again
- About this game
- Navigation metadata (visit website, update history, read related news)
- Share, Embed, Flag
- System requirements (itself 6-ish lines)
- Curator block
- Customer reviews
- Learn about customer reviews
- Overall reviews, recent reviews
- Review toggle navigation
- Toggle for review bomb histogram
- Review bomb histogram (which had weird 3d shading)
- Review toggle navigation facet filter
- Number of results
- Two columns of reviews, each of which potentially has a bunch of metadata
- Footer 1: About Steam, About Valve, Help, News Feeds
- Valve logo
- Footer 2: About Value, Steamworks, Jobs, etc.

Less is more, holy jesus

Pixieking

Banned
I think the amount is fine. What's frustrating - and makes it all cluttered - is the amount of dead-space there is on the edges. Store pages are still coded as though everyone uses 4:3 monitors, with no spreading of information for those on 16:9. Like, literally half the screen is dead-space, for me. By contrast, Amazon has an amazing amount of info on their store pages, but they also take advantage of widescreen monitors to give a cleaner look (plus, white background).

Somehow, I'm not surprised in the least that it's Rainbow Six: Siege at fault for this.
Who knew Operation Health would turn out ironic. :V

Did they at least fix that horrible character select screen?
No, unfortunately. Almost all of the UI elements look about as plain as they could've possibly made them.

There's honestly too much shit on a store page.
Hey Stump, I sent the PM.

Momentary

Banned
Damn... I didn't know that did away with assists in Marvel Vs Capcom. I'm good with that.

The game is fun, but the art direction is too sterile, the UI is horrible, the music is bland, and the stages are boring as hell. It's like the game has no soul.

Nabs

Damn... I didn't know that did away with assists in Marvel Vs Capcom. I'm good with that.

The game is fun, but the art direction is too sterile, the UI is horrible, the music is bland, and the stages are boring as hell. It's like the game has no soul.

Modern Marvel for ya.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I actually wrote a post about this yesterday but didn't submit it because it seemed pretty off topic, but I'll try a more abbreviated version: Why does CvM look the way it does? Is the speculation that it's a budget game and the Marvel side has to be drawn almost entirely from the MCU basically correct?

So much style of the previous games just seems like it was tragically chucked due to licensing bullshit if so.

Monooboe

I have to say, Steam really doesn't get enough praise for what it does so damn right, for example now that I went full-time over to Mac and having all my games ready for me on Steam, while most games don't work a very many of them do. There is a good reason I've gotten so attached to my Steam library, because it truly does follow one through life, from computer to computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom