• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco's Dark Souls 2 marketing: "We're treating this as a massive, massive AAA title"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I eagerly await the Mountain Dew and Doritos tie-ins.

OXM said:
Namco talks Dark Souls 2 marketing: "we're treating this as a massive, massive triple-A title"
Would like to attract Skyrim players, but series fans are the focus

Namco played it safe with the original Dark Souls marketing budget, and with good reason - this, after all, is the game that takes pride in being inaccessible. According to PR director Lee Kirton, however, the publisher has no qualms about blowing the bank on Dark Souls 2.

"The good thing this time round is we're investing more in it from a marketing perspective," Kirton told OXM at a preview event in London today. "With Dark Souls and [PS3-exclusive spiritual predecessor] Demon Souls it was very focused, small-scale. We're treating this as a massive, massive triple-A title."

"We're going to go balls-deep and guns-blazing with it, and hope to God that it works," he continued. "We're going after people who love and adore Dark Souls, while hopefully widening the net a little. I'm not saying that every Skyrim player's going to be jumping on Dark Souls, but it would be nice if some of them did. It's a different game, sure."

Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/53991/namco-ta...ing-this-as-a-massive-massive-triple-a-title/

Maybe the casualization will put an end to all the "make it exactly like Dark Souls!" talk that pops up in any Zelda, action game, or RPG discussion

cj_iwakura

Yes... good.

That said, Dark Souls' Prepare To Die trailers were fantastic(with the licensed songs), keep that stuff intact.

Alrus

I was always wondering. Does Namco actually finance the game development are they just doing the marketing/publishing in the west?

RoKKeR

I feel like spending so much on marketing is by nature making the game more accessible in order to appeal to the audience you are marketing to.

MormaPope

Banned
Prepare for the most epic dumbing down of a franchise ever done

I take it you didn't see the gameplay footage/preview from a month ago. The info in the OP is about budgeting and attempting to have a more aggressive marketing campaign.

Which isn't that smart quite frankly.

NotLiquid

I really hope hubris doesn't get to them. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls both seemed like moderate investments that performed well passed expectations cause of it, and for being such a great new IP I'd hate for it to lose that and go into crazy high-budget expectations that might prove unsustainable.

Yes, please ruin Dark Souls. Delicious tears from fanboys, and an equally or more enjoyable game for me, assuming I make it through the first one and still want the sequal.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I take it you didn't see the gameplay footage/preview from a month ago. The info in the OP is about budgeting and attempting to have a more aggressive marketing campaign.

Which isn't that smart quite frankly.
yes raising awareness isn't smart

lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm imagining this but more Dark Souls like:

RVYR8T4.jpg

Calvarok

Banned
I'm not saying that every Skyrim player's going to be jumping on Dark Souls, but it would be nice if some of them did. It's a different game, sure."

LOLOLOL obvious dumbing down if they dare to hope for fans of fantasy games to like their game.

-.-

Jawmuncher

I want to see Huge Posters, Stands, Commercials, THE WORKS.
I want Dark Souls 2 to not just come out but be a freaking EVENT here in the west.

Also attracting the Skyrim fans wouldn't be a bad thing sales wise.
Gives Namco more sales and teaches those who suck as DS to get better.

linko9

I just pray to god there are no pre-order bonuses. But if this gets more people to play the game, great.

Johnas

Well, hopefully they'll keep the advertising classy and tasteful.

Those comments don't inspire a lot of confidence.

MormaPope

Banned
yes raising awareness isn't smart

lol

If Namco wants to plop down enough money to attract Skyrim players or have the same type of marketing as Skyrim then that's an incredibly naive and ill fated strategy.

Dark Souls was successful financially due to word of mouth and decent coverage before release, no marketing dollars meant money saved. More marketing isn't going to up the existing market or player base substantially or even at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Demon's Souls made the transiti into Dark Souls ok. I think we'll be fine. And wanting Skyrim players isn't a bad thing. They can finally know quality :~

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, hopefully they'll keep the advertising classy and tasteful.

Those comments don't inspire a lot of confidence.

I can see the commercials now.

"The world is in turmoil, and it needs a savior."

"Go balls-deep and guns-blazing!"

"Dark Souls 2"

If Namco wants to plop down enough money to attract Skyrim players or have the same type of marketing as Skyrim then that's an incredibly naive and ill fated strategy.

Dark Souls was successful financially due to word of mouth and decent coverage before release, no marketing dollars meant money saved. More marketing isn't going to up the existing market or player base substantially or even at all.

lol, ok.

Top Bottom