• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island |OT| For your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good film but I think I liked it more for all the other movie references in it.
tons of pulp fiction references via lines and or camera angles. Also there's like Two Akira references. Good for your health jacket. Also the boat being named gray fox lol for metal gear.

Sulik2

I super enjoyed this, just a fun movie with some great set pieces. I loved the MUTO very unique looking creature. Kong was perfect. SLJ was solid and had the funniest line in the movie. Brie Larson was pointless. John Goodman felt like his role was from an earlier draft of the movie and they couldn't come up with an intro without him but removed him from the rest. John C Reilly was kind of incredible and seemed like most of lines were probably ad lib.

So you guys think the black guy got with the Asian girl at the end of the movie?

I'm guessing she is supposed to be the mother of ken Watanabe's character from Godzilla.

Bulzeeb

Worth it for the Post Credit scene alone.

Was totally expecting Godzilla, but not EVERYONE. That movie's going to be nuts.

true, I enjoyed the movie quite a lot, but then the after credits scene came in and my hype levels exploded

c2ec5fe4f6408325f288a1fb81f7fc0db0f57b773767c1a6dfe6f425578613e1_1.gif

this was basically my reaction

Saw it today and it was a lot of fun. Fights were great, but the bad monster was poorly designed (generic feeling) for my preference.
One thing that bugged me was how often they had the setting sun in the background behind Kong then switch to other people and it would be middle of the day, then switch back to Kong and setting sun again.

well that was no sun, that was his badass aura

fatestay-night-night-master-gilgamesh-visual-novels-anime-fate-series_www.wall321.com_68.jpg

Jawmuncher

Absolutely loved it. Made up for everything I disliked about Godzilla. The action was 10x better, and it didn't take itself so seriously.

I disagree. I think Sam Ls character is one of only two that is developed. He's a war nut who gets off on war, and his arc in the film felt really natural, unlike most of the other characters aside from Rileys.
Jackson's character also didn't want to fail his men like he thought he did in Vietnam.

you just missed the hypest part of the movie for me, I saw the movie like 1 hour ago and I am still hyped for the future movies

I just found a cam version of the scene. yep, I definitely missed out.

I really enjoyed the movie and it made me realize that sometimes those military mind sets need to just step back and look at a situation before running in guns blazing.

I went in optimistic but I found it underwhelming.

The cinematography was solid enough, loaded cast, not an overly long runtime, straightforward enough premise yet in the end I gave no shits about anyone save John C.Reilly.

This was the ultimate example of way too many characters.
Hiddleston and Brie Larson's character shouldve been condensed to one character.
You could lose most of the others.
Any death that occcurred felt weightless.

Im not suggesting this was a bad film by any stretch.
It's perfectly fine, it's competently executed throughout.

It just felt far too busy going from A > B > C > D without getting any sort of sense for who any of these people are, it was all surface layer.

You could say well youre supposed to have fun, and it's about Kong, etc but I found the action set pieces to lack any sort of danger sans the helicopter attack.
It's unfair in many ways but seeing the danger in Logan and the lack of danger here just makes this seem all the lesser.

Kong felt generic as well, he was just hitting beats we've seen in previous Kong movies but without any specificity here.

Peter Jackson's King Kong was 30-40 minutes too long but I remember it did make me feel something for the characters somewhat and Kong's personality came through there.

Id also take 14' Godzilla over this, which had as dull a lead performace as can be but at least Gareth Edwards executed some pretty stellar set pieces toward the end that were memorable in certain ways.

John C. Reilly is good though, he brings personality, has a few good lines, and has enough of a human being to his character and in terms of what he's after that it was enough to make me invested in him.

Overall I dont begrudge anyone that really enjoyed this,
I really wanted to, but it didnt get there for me.
The 1933 version is still king.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
The one time I decide not to stay for a possible post credit scene and I miss out on the hypest shit the movie had to offer. :(

Got back a couple hours ago. Has some issues but love it overall. That post credit scene though...as much as I love the MCU I have never been as excited by one of their post credit scenes as I was this one. So giddy afterwards!

I really had a great time watching this movie. So much better than Godzilla where we see about 5 minutes of him. Such a human movie for a Godzilla title. In this movie I actually know Kongs feelings, what he protects, what he eats etc. The movie was just fun all around. Also, that was the most hyped I've ever been for a post credit scene. Boy I can't wait for that.
81188-Loki-fuck-yeah-gif-EWzc.gif

Post credit hype baby.

Another thing. I take back everything bad I've said about John C. Reilly. Him and Tom Hiddleston were the stars of the show.

Good film but I think I liked it more for all the other movie references in it.
tons of pulp fiction references via lines and or camera angles. Also there's like Two Akira references. Good for your health jacket. Also the boat being named gray fox lol for metal gear.

There was a Jurassic Park reference there as well. Samuel actually said "Hold on to your butts" while the helicopter was taking off.

I really had a great time watching this movie. So much better than Godzilla where we see about 5 minutes on him. Such a human movie for a Godzilla title. In this movie I actually know Kongs feelings, what he protects, what he eats etc. The movie was just fun all around. Also, that was the most hyped I've ever been for a post credit scene. Boy I can't wait for that.

Samuel Jackson
shoulda just come out, surprising everyone and telling them about the
kaiju initiative.

Surprised by how much I liked it. There were some iffy bits
that 300 homage was fucking awful
, but even then, the film was never boring once it gets started. Nothing felt like a slog. A rare feat for a monster film. The action was great and the tension was, well, intense. If you like classic Kong, monkey falls for girl, monkey has heart, etc., you're not gonna find that here.

And yeah, end credit scene is awesome. Just don't read the credits after the soundtrack list starts...

KAOS

Barely liked it more than Godzilla! Doesn't touch Peter Jackson's King Kong, Jurrassic World or Pacific Rim IMO. However I still look forward to a Godzilla vs Kong movie in the future!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Saw it.

Crazy movie, good in many ways

Tizoc

OK seriously where did all those
helicopters come from? The carrier could carry about half a dozen from the the size of it and yet you had like 2 or 3 dozens of helicopters going into the island.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There's not many thoughts I have on it. It was fun, dumb as shit, and the post-credits scene was enjoyable. The human stuff was obviously far less interesting than any of the monster stuff, but unlike Godzilla, it was atleast mildly entertaining.

As much as I appreciate the tone Godzilla tried to go for, this was an infinitely more successful result.

That said, I wonder if this will carry forward at all, because this film doesn't look like it's going to do all that well.

Scarecrow

Regarding the post credits scene:
I almost don't get the point of having Brie and Loki join their monster hunter group if they're going to be too old to be in the present day. I'd love for them to show up, tho.

brawly

It was a fun movie. Great action, awesome soundtrack (both original and licensed) and the money shots are...well, just that, money shots.

What I really like is that it's unpredictable, to some degree at least. People die here and it's not just the no name actors.

vaderise

Just got my IMAX tickets. It's been a while since i watched a movie in IMAX ( generally i only go to my local theater , it's very decent and cheap) so it's good to hear action is good. I'll update this post once i see it.

Have to say I marked out during the post credits scene. Really hoping this movie takes off and we get more kaiju movies sooner than later

Regarding the post credits scene:
I almost don't get the point of having Brie and Loki join their monster hunter group if they're going to be too old to be in the present day. I'd love for them to show up, tho.

Trust me, neither of those actors are going to be in any sequels, which is one of the reasons why I didn't like the stinger. I thought the stinger should've just been a wide shot of skull island and then you see Godzilla's back pop out of the water quick, cut to black. That's all you needed. You definitely didn't need any more time with the four most pointless characters in the movie.

Replicant

It was okay. I mean I love Kong himself but he was let down by the rest of the movie. Skull Crawlers are not that scary and it was a mistake casting Tom Hiddlestone. He has no charisma to be a leading man. He's as boring as Adrian whatshisname in the Predator remake.

The rest of the characters are passable
but the body counts are way too low for my taste

saelz8

I didn't really enjoy it.

It felt like it dragged, even though it clearly didn't. I didn't really like the characters. Kong himself was cool, though.

Also, we sat next to a dude that was just randomly laughing at scenes in the movie at the most innapropriate times. Example, there would just be a shot of two peoples faces and no one in the theater would be laughing and he would just burst out, for no reason. It was super bizarre and threw me off multiple times. He was also pulling out his phone, which was bright as fuck, throughout. People are inconsiderate, man.

I thought it was okay. I felt the story was very paint-by-numbers and ham-handed in some places, and some of the acting felt off (I love Hiddleston, but man he was phoning this one in). Not to mention a lot of the slowmo camera just felt really off. However, a lot of the wide shots were absolutely gorgeous, you really got a sense of the size and scope of how fucking huge Kong was. As a visual spectacle, this movie did a lot right and I'm now kind of wishing I saw it in 3D.

Oh yeah, and the
Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah
tease at the end was nice, even if they
SPOILED IT IN THE FREAKING CREDITS.

kiri

Just got back from this - a colourful movie, with some interesting shots and music but kinda meh characters and script. Not a huge fan of forcibly added Chinese characters, but I get why that is the case.

Jesus Christ those credits are long...the stinger was too vague and hasn't been signposted enough. Of the at least 80-90% full theatre I went to, there was only myself and maybe 5-6 others left by the time the stinger showed. Bit of a waste of time.

okdakor

My theater laughed also, but I think it was meant to be a gut punch.

I'm sure it was for fun, no
slomo heroic death
allowed in this movie.
Sam Jackson and his detonator, same thing, he's just squashed mid-sentence.

Also fun, Kong using the
propeller
as an old-school
flying guillotine
!

I didn't expect to like Skull Island as much as I did. It's a horrible movie. It's stupid, idiotic and sometimes it looks awful, but goddamn I had great time watching it. I laughed, I lolled, I giggled. I really loved Kong.

Those small unexpected twists in the action scene cliches were awesome!

And the post-credit scene caused goosebumps.

Absolutely loved it. Made up for everything I disliked about Godzilla. The action was 10x better, and it didn't take itself so seriously.

This is exactly how I felt. I loved this movie and wished Godzilla were this amazing (I'm a huge Godzilla fan). I loved the pacing at the beginning of the movie, they hit the ground running and never let up. End of credits scene was amazing except some random guy naming
every monster but stopping because he couldn't remember/recognize king ghidora >~<

Just got back from this - a colourful movie, with some interesting shots and music but kinda meh characters and script. Not a huge fan of forcibly added Chinese characters, but I get why that is the case.

Jesus Christ those credits are long...the stinger was too vague and hasn't been signposted enough. Of the at least 80-90% full theatre I went to, there was only myself and maybe 5-6 others left by the time the stinger showed. Bit of a waste of time.

Which characters you talking about?

That lady with the tank top had really nice boobs

Oh also the Kong action was great and there was a lot of it. Characters were at least enjoyable even if they weren't complex. Fixed all my issues with Godzilla. I'm hyped for Godzilla vs Kong. Would be cool to see a giant monster mash with king ghidora and Mothra. Maybe they'll team up

Delio

I thought it was okay. I felt the story was very paint-by-numbers and ham-handed in some places, and some of the acting felt off (I love Hiddleston, but man he was phoning this one in). Not to mention a lot of the slowmo camera just felt really off. However, a lot of the wide shots were absolutely gorgeous, you really got a sense of the size and scope of how fucking huge Kong was. As a visual spectacle, this movie did a lot right and I'm now kind of wishing I saw it in 3D.

Oh yeah, and the
Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah
tease at the end was nice, even if they
SPOILED IT IN THE FREAKING CREDITS.

Lol I noticed the credits themselves spoiled that and it was hilarious. Ah well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom