• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air have the largest fictional universe of all-time?

crossoversscaled.jpg
It looks like a zoomed out Sonic level.

cntr

Banned
The Jeffersons/Bel-Air universe makes a lot more sense than the Westphall, imo. The foundations are rocky and questionable, and more importantly, the universes involved mutually contradict each other. The logic breaks down really quickly.

On the other hand, the Jeffersons universe is composed entirely of sitcoms, and so there's no issues having them all be in the same universe. No major issues pop up from having them be in the same universe.

Though I mean yeah it's all a joke an unintentional, but as far as these theories go, this one is a notch above the rest.

The issue with the Tommy Westphall universe is that the fact that it's a dream undermines it all, since presumably he'd incorporate real life fiction into his dream world.

Plus, a lot of the universes mutually cannot co-exist. A lot of the shows involved directly contradict each other. The hypothetical Bel Air universe, however, could, because it's composed only of sitcoms set in a normal world.

They contradict because dreams are unreliable and often contradictory...

The cigarette brand thing isn't even an Easter egg, its often just practical: There's a big prop house in LA that a lot of places use and their fake Marlboro cigarettes prop is Morleys.

It's the same reason everyone is reading the same newspaper on a dozen TV shows and movies (unless they are all taking place on the same day in the same universe of course). I called the prop house a couple months back and they don't stock that newspaper anymore unfortunately.

azbxEzj_700b.jpg

8080446_f520.jpg

Nah it's because it's all connected...

cntr

Banned
They contradict because dreams are unreliable and often contradictory...
But that also means the universes could not be connected, and the connections exist because Tommy Westphall dreamed about the fiction he saw in real life. So the Westphall universe would shrink to a handful of series.

Foffy

Banned
Didn't Sherman Hemsley also play two different characters on Fresh Prince?

He played a judge and died in one of the episodes, IIRC.

cntr

Banned
..also, Tommy Westphall didn't dream up St. Elsewhere. He imagined it based on a snowglobe, he doesn't literally dream about it.

So.

lol I can't believe I'm writing about this as if it was a serious thing

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OP that is some quality fucking effort posting.

But that also means the universes could not be connected, and the connections exist because Tommy Westphall dreamed about the fiction he saw in real life. So the Westphall universe would shrink to a handful of series.

No it means Tommy dreamt them all!

All of them...

Because he's a God.... because well actually when we dream we are all gods creating new worlds and realities.

That's the newspaper Westphall is reading at night while Tommy dreams.

It all makes sense now

..also, Tommy Westphall didn't dream up St. Elsewhere. He imagined it based on a snowglobe, he doesn't literally dream about it.

So.

lol I can't believe I'm writing about this as if it was a serious thing

Even better....

It's not limited to just at nights... meaning so much more time in his life to shape our TV universe as we know it. Tommy is creating almost 24/7.

You nailed it.

But wait. If the Fresh Prince takes place in the Westphall Universe and the characters in Fresh Prince make numerous allusions to the fact that they are on a television show, then doesn't that mean our world isn't rea-- *fades from existence*

But wait. If the Fresh Prince takes place in the Westphall Universe and the characters in Fresh Prince make numerous allusions to the fact that they are on a television show, then doesn't that mean our world isn't rea-- *fades from existence*

No, it means that there's a fictional "real world" that exists in the Westphall Universe separate from the actual "real world." A mirror universe, if you will...

Wait...if you include Silver Spoons, you now have two Alfonso Ribeiro's in the same universe.

That's nothing. John Stamos is in this universe as both himself AND as Uncle Jesse.

Uncle Phil was on Family Matters.

Urkel guest starred on Full House.

Urkel guest starred on Step by Step.

John Stamos guest starred on Step by Step as himself.

Also, add Beavis and Butthead and Daria to this list, because they made multiple live action appearances on Step by Step.

Ecotic

Are we strictly taking shows, because if not it's like every comic book ever and then Stephen King.

You can make an argument for whichever fictional universe in any medium you want. Universes like Stephen King's work or the old Star Wars expanded universe are indeed impressive, but I would argue they lose prestige due to being the work of one creator or one company that owned the property and supervised its creation. It's more difficult to string together a fictional universe like The Fresh Prince universe or the alleged Tommy Westphall universe through a haphazard fashion without top-down direction specifically to create such a universe.

Wait...if you include Silver Spoons, you now have two Alfonso Ribeiro's in the same universe.

I just chalk it down to one of those moments where you see someone that looks remarkably like you, as if they could be your "twin", but aren't related. I had one of those moments once, looking into an Animerica cosplay section and seeing someone that looked damn close to what looked like. Even my family thought so. I've also saw people that look like other people I know, approached them only to be told I was mistaken. That's how I view this regarding actors in multiple roles existing in the same universe.

That kid in the Family Matters clip refers to "Fresh Prince" by name, so even if this wasn't just a prank video, that's a show in their universe, no connection.

Ecotic

That kid in the Family Matters clip refers to "Fresh Prince" by name, so even if this wasn't just a prank video, that's a show in their universe, no connection.

Most likely, but couldn't it also be that the characters of Family Matters are aware that they exist in a t.v. show universe and them referencing The Fresh Prince is them referencing a fellow show? Thus they summon said character from the show.

riotous

Banned

Will Smith played Will Smith in that show though, and he is the Fresh Prince as a stage name. In fact they referred to him as such on the Blossom episode he appeared on, and then Ashley Banks appeared on Blossom as Ashley Banks:

To gain popularity between the two shows, Will Smith appeared in the Blossom episode "I'm with the Band" as himself under his rap stage name, The Fresh Prince. That same season, Karyn Parsons appeared in the Blossom episode "Wake Up Little Suzy" as Hilary Banks. Parsons also appeared in the Patti LaBelle sitcom, Out All Night as Hilary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fresh_Prince_of_Bel-Air

It checks out.

Jharp

You think that's bad? Carl from Family Matters appeared on Girl Meets World in season 3 as a New York cop. But would that be a crossover with Family Matters or Die Hard?

he wasn't a New York cop in Die Hard, he was LAPD. The Die Hard set in New York was the first one he wasn't in.

You can make an argument for whichever fictional universe in any medium you want. Universes like Stephen King's work or the old Star Wars expanded universe are indeed impressive, but I would argue they lose prestige due to being the work of one creator or one company that owned the property and supervised its creation. It's more difficult to string together a fictional universe like The Fresh Prince universe or the alleged Tommy Westphall universe through a haphazard fashion without top-down direction specifically to create such a universe.

There's nothing alleged about Westphallverse.... It's cold hard fictionalized imagined reality

Ecotic

There's nothing alleged about Westphallverse.... It's cold hard fictionalized imagined reality

Yes, most definitely to a certain degree. The only question is the true size of the universe. Some of the connections like the Morley cigarettes could just be coincidences and not legitimate links between universes.

In fact they have to be coincidences because for example both Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead feature Morley cigarettes, but their timelines overlap and Walter White doesn't spend season 5 fending off walkers, nor does Saul Goodman fend off walkers while serving cinnabons.

Yes, most definitely to a certain degree. The only question is the true size of the universe. Some of the connections like the Morley cigarettes could just be coincidences and not legitimate links between universes.

In fact they have to be coincidences because for example both Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead feature Morley cigarettes, but their timelines overlap and Walter White doesn't spend season 5 fending off walkers, nor does Saul Goodman fend off walkers while serving cinnabons.

Ahh but again the Westphall universe is made up of unstable dream particles... Everything is possible when it's being dreamt up day and night.

That's the beauty of the Westphall Universe

Ecotic

Ahh but again the Westphall universe is made up of unstable dream particles... Everything is possible when it's being dreamt up day and night.

That's the beauty of the Westphall Universe

So it's the "Superman is as strong as he needs to be" of fictional universes.

So I know how Red Dwarf connects to Doctor Who...

But how does Red Dwarf connect to Angel?

Red Dwarf is recognized as a fictional TV show in the Buffyverse.

Edit: So yeah, I dispute that one completely. Apparently it's via the Weyland - Yutani link.

But if Red Dwarf is a fictional TV show in the Buffyverse, them showing a Weyland - Yutani logo wouldn't be any different to them showing any other companies logo. FOUL. I CRY FOUL.

Six Degrees of Television Series

So I know how Red Dwarf connects to Doctor Who...

But how does Red Dwarf connect to Angel?

Red Dwarf is recognized as a fictional TV show in the Buffyverse.

Edit: So yeah, I dispute that one completely. Apparently it's via the Weyland - Yutani link.

But if Red Dwarf is a fictional TV show in the Buffyverse, them showing a Weyland - Yutani logo wouldn't be any different to them showing any other companies logo. FOUL. I CRY FOUL.

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth might actually be able to fill in that blank. This was a made for TV movie from 2009 where the crew of the Red Dwarf end up on earth and discover that they are fictional characters in a TV show called Red Dwarf.
In the end it is revealed that the crew of the Red Dwarf were in a shared hallucination and never really left the ship. But since this all takes place in the mind of Tommy Westphall, their shared hallucination universe could connect to the Buffy Universe and still happen.

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth might actually be able to fill in that blank. This was a made for TV movie from 2009 where the crew of the Red Dwarf end up on earth and discover that they are fictional characters in a TV show called Red Dwarf.
In the end it is revealed that the crew of the Red Dwarf were in a shared hallucination and never really left the ship. But since this all takes place in the mind of Tommy Westphall, their shared hallucination universe could connect to the Buffy Universe and still happen.

Westphall dreams sci-fi on Fridays so it's all very likely connected

Calvero

Banned
Damn OP, you could have sold this to some click bait website and made a pretty penny.

(Not that this is click bait material)

Law and Order and NCIS. You must remember, NCIS is a spinoff of JAG. May not have all the connections, but they are still on the air.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I used to love St Elsewhere but don't think I saw the last episode. Should i try and watch it, or will it just annoy me?

Edit: just watched it. Any comments from the show writers if that was always intended? It just feels like a quick 5 minute 'shit we aren't getting renewed how do we close out the story' scene. Which is annoying itself because shows like St. elsewhere don't need to have closure - we can leave them alone to get on with things.

Top Bottom