• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite |OT| Earliest Access VS Husks

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Getting into a groove of stockpiling and resource whoring..

Oh Yes!, As the saying goes... "That's my Fetish!"

hjkyvnml.jpg

By Thursday evening I'll have +10 Storm Storage Spaces from Research Tree 2
Can really put more of these stones away

Cool to see I'm getting Malachite Ore already in my games!

Redshirt

Banned
I got three legendary weapons: Storm Chaser's Revenge (axe), Longarm Enforcer (heavy shotgun) and Maverick (o/u shotgun).

I've been very reluctant to spend my Vbucks after accidentally buying a lama and getting nothing but crap when I first played the game. Is the concensus to save them up and only buy the 1000Vbucks ones?

That's what I've been told.

But yesterday they showed an 800 v buck weapon llama on sale for 550, so I bought it.

I got 2 legendary guns, a couple epic guns, and other stuff.

So that seamed worth it.

Redshirt

Banned
That's what I've been told.

But yesterday they showed an 800 v buck weapon llama on sale for 550, so I bought it.

I got 2 legendary guns, a couple epic guns, and other stuff.

So that seamed worth it.

Yeah that was worth it. Just avoid the 100 and 350 packs.

The packs that are available right now (until 8pm ET) for 500 are a pretty good deal too.

how do you get new models/characters for your class?

You get heroes from llama packs mostly but also as quest rewards and via transformations.

Also, some heroes' models will change as they evolve.

Blunoise

Yeah that was worth it. Just avoid the 100 and 350 packs.

The packs that are available right now (until 8pm ET) for 500 are a pretty good deal too.

You get heroes from llama packs mostly but also as quest rewards and via transformations.

Also, some heroes' models will change as they evolve.

oh thats cool, yea there is a specific model i want for the constructor class :) i hope its not hard

oh thats cool, yea there is a specific model i want for the constructor class :) i hope its not hard

keep in mind the different heroes have different abilities/bonuses

edit:
Opened my second troll pinata.

Another 2 legendary weapons. Not bad. I was hoping for some heroes... got only like 1 or 2 rares... no epics or legendaries. This must be the worst luck possible for heroes...

GraveRobberX

Level 15 Ride the Lightning mission in Stonewood

90 minutes left

Reward is a Hero, Fleefoot Ken

Getting into a groove of stockpiling and resource whoring..

Oh Yes!, As the saying goes... "That's my Fetish!"

hjkyvnml.jpg

By Thursday evening I'll have +10 Storm Storage Spaces from Research Tree 2
Can really put more of these stones away

Cool to see I'm getting Malachite Ore already in my games!

This post reminds me of your madness back in Destiny faming the engrams like there was no tomorrow.

GraveRobberX

But it's green?

Nice! What rarity is he?

Sorry for huge late replies,I got the mission done and had a family emergency, just got back
Yeah it was Green, I mean it's something extra already to fill in collection book or use for time being

Hopefully you got it to

This post reminds me of your madness back in Destiny farming the engrams like there was no tomorrow.

Yeah keeping that going
Destiny 2 just right around the corner

keep in mind the different heroes have different abilities/bonuses

edit:
Opened my second troll pinata.

Another 2 legendary weapons. Not bad. I was hoping for some heroes... got only like 1 or 2 rares... no epics or legendaries. This must be the worst luck possible for heroes...

Got double gold troll pinata which was nice.

No heroes but 4 legendary bits. A spear, a patrol ward and some weapons iirc. No heroes so I only have the one in my inventory from a general lama.

darkwing

I think this game should be played in spurts, had an enjoyable session just consisting of a few missions and that's it , no more stressing out why your level is still low etc..

Anastasis

I think this game should be played in spurts, had an enjoyable session just consisting of a few missions and that's it , no more stressing out why your level is still low etc..

Absolutely. I am starting to only play until my daily bonus XP dries up. Seems just about right and far less grindy.

Tei

Neo Member
I have not pressure to levelup because the game is unfinished. Enjoy your voyage and smell the roses, I say.

I"m just taking my time slowly working my way through plankerton. With destiny I always rushed to get raid ready so I wouldn't be left behind but there's no need to rush in fortnite. I guess when the survival mode is out there will be something to aim for but I think this game is a lot more enjoyable if you don't worry about progression.

Shredderi

So I've tried to get the last siphoning mission done for the past week. Just now was the third time it was torpedoed by a random who started the main mission on his own. I just had 4 seconds to go for fucks sake. The same thing has happened three fucking times now and I always say I'm siphoning. We even failed the main mission because I'm not fucking abandoning my siphon. I'm just done. I can't do this. It is so fucking tiring because you have to collect another 3000 materials for a single fort and a shitload of traps. All for fucking nothing again. I seriously feel like I've walked 100km. I'm that tired of this.

Ramirez

So I've tried to get the last siphoning mission done for the past week. Just now was the third time it was torpedoed by a random who started the main mission on his own. I just had 4 seconds to go for fucks sake. The same thing has happened three fucking times now and I always say I'm siphoning. We even failed the main mission because I'm not fucking abandoning my siphon. I'm just done. I can't do this. It is so fucking tiring because you have to collect another 3000 materials for a single fort and a shitload of traps. All for fucking nothing again. I seriously feel like I've walked 100km. I'm that tired of this.

I haven't played the game since hitting this mission, it really is dogshit.

Anastasis

I just finished it last night and it has been by far the worst quest.

I've tried communicating, I've tried doing it on my own. One time, after the second wave, a guy jumped into the fort to get the BluGlo like it was the rarest resource imaginable. Didn't ask - just took it. Finally, last night, people were super cool and helped out even though they didn't need it. Although I made sure I was at the machine the second the wave ended each time.

Shredderi

I haven't played the game since hitting this mission, it really is dogshit.

Yeah I after this mission came to me I haven't been able to play the game in normal amounts. I only play once in three days or something. It is so fucking draining. I actually think they should go back and look at it because as a game design it just is pretty bad if people hate it.

I just finished it last night and it has been by far the worst quest.

I've tried communicating, I've tried doing it on my own. One time, after the second wave, a guy jumped into the fort to get the BluGlo like it was the rarest resource imaginable. Didn't ask - just took it. Finally, last night, people were super cool and helped out even though they didn't need it. Although I made sure I was at the machine the second the wave ended each time.

When I was first doing this there was two other people who had to do the same mission. First siphon, they emptied the siphon after the first wave. When I taught them about the whole thing, that they have to do all three waves for all the siphons they were like "got it". Then second siphon, and they go and empty it after the first wave. I was done with the game for a while after that.

AdamT

Yeah, I heard the stories of people hating siphon, so I casually asked at the beginning of each map if anyone wouldn't mind helping me with the quest. If no one would, I I'd still get XP, loot drops etc anyway, so no loss. Got it done first try with 2 others who needed one as well. Next two I got it done the next day with randoms no problem.

Since then, I've been helping whoever asks. It doesn't take that long and wasting a couple hundred wood if they don't have good defense isn't that big of deal.

For siphoning let people know at the beginning of the mission and when you are about start. Most of the time people will help but not always. I did one solo (and the mission) but that takes way too much resources so it's better to just try to talk to people in text chat. The atlas mission is probably the easiest to do it on.

Made improvements to memory usage on Xbox One
This should prevent out-of-memory crashes
Corrected a PS4 crash caused by in game audio
Fixed an exploit preventing item durability loss
Fixed a bug which caused caches to become visible on the minimap during “Repair the Shelter”
Corrected an Xbox One network crash
Corrected an AI pathfinding server crash
Corrected a particle system crash
The Teleporter can no longer be selected via the mouse scroll wheel

Updated about 2 hours ago.

Geneijin

What platform are you? I could help out if you're PS4 or PC.

BUG FIXING
Improved memory usage in the skilltree
Aimed at reducing OOM issues
Fixed a server crash
Fixed a client crash caused by the particle system
Fight or Flight Perk
Initially intended to increase the “War Cry” ability damage buff by 15%, but it was instead increasing damage buff by 65%
The issue causing this has been corrected, and the Fight or Flight perk has been rebalanced to 10%
BALANCE
Adjusted the mix of mission types in Twine Peaks
The change is aimed at adjusting the variety of mission difficulty while work is done on additional content
War Cry - Ability
Ranged Rate of Fire reduced from 50% to 40%
Melee Rate of Fire reduced from 20% to 16%
Weapon Damage reduced from 50% to 40%
Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects of War Cry combine multiplicatively (you deal increased damage, and you do so more often)
War Cry was not initially balanced with this in mind
War Cry has been rebalanced to account for multiplicative Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects
Also adjusted with average downtime of weapon reloads in mind
Fight or Flight - Perk
War Cry damage buff reduced from 65% from 10%
Fight or Flight will now increase the War Cry damage buff to 50% from 40%

Released recently

Tei

Neo Member
Welp. My legendary hero was a Banshee. I got hit by the nerf bat hard (maybe?).

Hope the devs don't notice Constructor / Plasma protector is a class that exist, I fear for my Protector Izza.

Welp. My legendary hero was a Banshee. I got hit by the nerf bat hard (maybe?).

Hope the devs don't notice Constructor / Plasma protector is a class that exist, I fear for my Protector Izza.

I think for a long time people recognized that the soldier class is busted because of war cry. I'm told top end "meta" groups consist of 3 soldiers and a constructor for that reason.

KodaRuss

So I just finished Stonewood a couple days ago. About how long does Plankerton take?

I am really enjoying the game but I cant seem to get lucky with any new heroes

Also, when does the difficulty really ramp up?

Palmer_v1

So I just finished Stonewood a couple days ago. About how long does Plankerton take?

I am really enjoying the game but I cant seem to get lucky with any new heroes

Also, when does the difficulty really ramp up?

It ramps up in plank pretty fast. Can't depend on just shooting o complete missions.

Geneijin

That War Cry nerf

BALANCE
Adjusted the mix of mission types in Twine Peaks
The change is aimed at adjusting the variety of mission difficulty while work is done on additional content

War Cry - Ability
Ranged Rate of Fire reduced from 50% to 40%
Melee Rate of Fire reduced from 20% to 16%
Weapon Damage reduced from 50% to 40%
Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects of War Cry combine multiplicatively (you deal increased damage, and you do so more often)
War Cry was not initially balanced with this in mind
War Cry has been rebalanced to account for multiplicative Rate of Fire and Damage buff effects
Also adjusted with average downtime of weapon reloads in mind

Fight or Flight - Perk
War Cry damage buff reduced from 65% from 10%
Fight or Flight will now increase the War Cry damage buff to 50% from 40%

- https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/ea-patch-notes-1-4-7

Tei

Neo Member
I am a veteran dungeon defender player, and when I look at the numbers, I look at then from the position of a endgame content that in Fortnite don't even exist yet.

WarCry is a team wide buff. A team wide buff sounds like something too valuable not to have in endgame content.

Imagine theres a buff that make a single character 30% more powerful. Ok, thats 30/4, a 7.5% power increase for the team. Now lets imagine a buff that make the team 20% more powerful. Thats 20% increase of power for the team. 20 % >> 7.5 %.

What the devs need to do is to add new difficulty levels and endgame that is not doable just now by players. Then buff weak characters like ninja and outlander, giving them tools that help the team.

Ninja should have a aura that make teammates have damage reflect. Outlander could add resource buff. So when a outlander join the map, everyone gain a +% 10 extra mining, getting more resources from mining.

I don't expect they do this, because balance patches have the shape and size of a hotfix, and try to change small aspects and not big ones. But nerfing stuff is a step in the wrong direction.

Anyway there's a announcement about a wave mode. The wave mode will make the meta more visible for players and the devs, and I hope it teach the devs and players what is really necessary:

No amount of soldier nerfs are going to make a outlander viable in endgame metas. Ninja is broken because is a melee glass canon, is either too powerful or too weak.

note: I am generally wrong about everything.

Redshirt

Banned
How often do they reset bases? Mine is a damn mess, so I wouldn't mind restarting.

It's only happened once and only because the map had to be adjusted. I wouldn't count on it.

As you expand your base, that initial area becomes a lot less important, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

[...]

No amount of soldier nerfs are going to make a outlander viable in endgame metas. Ninja is broken because is a melee glass canon, is either too powerful or too weak.

note: I am generally wrong about everything.

I usually agree with the buff don't nerf approach, but War Cry seemed broken, and the new version still seems really good.

I'm with you on Outlander and Ninja. How Outlanders don't already share resources with the team (other than the inconvenient llamas) is beyond me. It just seems so obvious.

The thing about the soldier war cry nerf is that it's not even something you may even really notice unless you're looking for it. It's a rather modest number tweak. Instead of hitting for 3100 you'll hit for 3000. It shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the class as long as it remains a viable class, and I am pretty damn sure it remains viable.

As for ninjas getting some kind of team buff. Dunno. Keep in mind not all soldiers have war cry, it's not a class wide thing. But as for ninjas, there thing is ability damage. I think of the 4 damage abilities, 3 of them are very good.

Shurikens, with piercing shurikens and extra shurikens per use, is very powerful. Dragonblade, I think everyone knows is strong. It's riskier than shurikens when the enemies you hit aren't dead, but I don't think it's bad at higher end (in my experience so far) because if you use it smart you won't die. Smoke bomb is very strong, although with a long cooldown compared to the rest.

Crescent kick in my experience with it, is a rather weak ability. The range is point blank, the stun isn't guaranteed. I think this could be a bit better. Increase the impact damage so it stuns/staggers more often.

One other thing I would like to see is a better default bonus, which unless I am mistaken, is reduced fall damage... Dunno what it could be atm. Just seems so boring to be reduced damage from falling though.

goonie

It's only happened once and only because the map had to be adjusted. I wouldn't count on it.

As you expand your base, that initial area becomes a lot less important, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thanks! Wish there was a reset button, because I've learned a lot since I first started, like where all the enemies come from.

KodaRuss

What is the best way to get help on the storm shield defense missions? Just talk in the chat or something? I dont have a lot of friends that play the game. I just barely got through Plankton SS2 by myself, not sure if I will be able to do SS3...

Apparently Fortnite has passed 1 million players.

Here is a dev update on survival mode which is coming the 29th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3arb11wJDM

edit:
Update called "survive the storm"

survival mode details:
3-14 game days, rewards commensurate to time put in
storm modifiers, like enraged (more damage at low health), exploding monsters, may augment certain classes and weapon types

New content, "ton of new content"

What is the best way to get help on the storm shield defense missions? Just talk in the chat or something? I dont have a lot of friends that play the game. I just barely got through Plankton SS2 by myself, not sure if I will be able to do SS3...

Chat and discord. Searching for help sometimes works.

FeD.nL

Looking forward to survival. Shooting Husks is the thing they nailed the most so a mode that lets me do that as much as possible sounds famtastic.

GraveRobberX

My new Base in Plankerton coming along nicely:

Middle:
M7USKhI.jpg

Right Side:
5frMt9V.jpg

Left Side:
tC9Lhg4.jpg

If anyone needs an Uber pistol made up to level 20, Power 49
Just get me the mats and I'll make it free:
Y6WOFmJ.jpg

Stats on it, so far. Haven't evolved to 3 Star (can't, yet, but also material asked is rare at the moment)
5pcZqXk.jpg

Have 3 Legendary Weapons also if you want but only Level 5, Power 26

Copper Zapotron:
n5swHq4.jpg

i6OYNP9.jpg

Copper Razorblade:
zvAxAR3.jpg

BLWPUpD.jpg

Copper Longarm Enforcer:
oXSVcjS.jpg

p5l4YoV.jpg

My Stockpile jumped from last time lol: