• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare Montreal's Studio Director talks about the next Mass Effect

Izick

Also I would like if the tone was more space-private-dick like Mass Effect 1 instead of dirty dozen style like in ME 2 or war-time in ME3. Looking back it's really cool to see how the series has changed as a whole each time.

Ocellatus

Neo Member
That's a third person shooter. I've never seen any conversation tree, choices or exploration mentioned.

I doubt we will see it as a True RPG any time soon. They did say it would have exploration and adventure. Honestly, the original ME probably is the closest thing we will ever get to a star trek rpg. It's more Star Trek than any of the Movies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I doubt we will see it as a True RPG any time soon. They did say it would have exploration and adventure. Honestly, the original ME probably is the closest thing we will ever get to a star trek rpg. It's more Star Trek than any of the Movies.

Well... hopefully their idea of "exploration" isn't going to be the ME2/ME3 idea of exploration... which can be translated into turning left rather than right to enter a room with a chest with credits or weapon/mod inside.

Acheteedo

I hate to admit that the ME3 ending damaged my love for the series but it did. Would like nothing more than to be swept away in the franchise again, so I'm cautiously optimistic about where they're going next.

Toa TAK

Banned
Aria was being Aria. Didn't see much changes from her. She still talk like she doesn't give a shit about anyone, just like ME2 and just like ME3 before the DLC.
The choices were your typical ME choices. If you think they were dull... well i guess you think all ME choices are usually dull then.

Really? Interesting you say that. So these typical choices were the same kind that you had to make during the Rannoch and Tutchunka missions? The same choices you make during Mass Effect 2's loyalty missions?

Right. Those were definitely dull./sarcasm

what? The gameplay from ME3 was improved from ME1/ME2 in every way. How is it dumbed down?

no. what they called improvements, I call false advertising. and secondly I never said
that they dumbed down ME3's mechanics in comparison to ME2, I had a more general view in mind.
the dumbing down process began with part 2 and just because bioware made a few
decorational changes in part 3 doesn't mean it's improved or anything. the ME1-like complexity they were bragging about in every interview was an illusion if you ask me.
sure there were some weapon mods and so on, but the point is that they weren't really
necessary. you could just stick with one oder two different types and you were done. also the levels were very restricted and linear and so on. It just didn't feel challenging and that's why all the pathetic attempts to create "variety" weapon- & amorwise + concerning the skill system were completely useless.
ME1 really made you think what to pick and how to approach certain situations and that's
how it should be. you just feel a difference.
All that said, I'm not trying to hate, I really wanted to like the game but it disappointed me and it's NOT like I'm just pissed because of the ending or anything so chill.

Ocellatus

Neo Member
I hate to admit that the ME3 ending damaged my love for the series but it did. Would like nothing more than to be swept away in the franchise again, so I'm cautiously optimistic about where they're going next.

The thing that gives me hope is that we should not see it before 2015. They will want there to be a sizable install base on the PS720 before it comes out. Should give it enough time in the oven. If we start hearing about a 2014 release, we will know it's going to be shit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really? Interesting you say that. So these typical choices were the same kind that you had to make during the Rannoch and Tutchunka missions? The same choices you make during Mass Effect 2's loyalty missions?

Right. Those were definitely dull./sarcasm

Omega had "big" decisions like
sacrificing citizens or not during the reactor part, or letting the Cerberus general live or not,
just like it had minor decisions like telling Aria to call the fuck down or telling Nyreen that you don't trust her.

How is that any different than past ME choices? You have big (that can kill people) and small decisions which might affect what happen later in the mission, just like they always did in the past.

Rodhull

I'd be happy if the next game was a bit more stand–alone just to focus on setting the game in it's new time–frame whenever that is and then they use the next two games to create a larger, more galactic scale story if they need to.

At this point I think going straight into another Big Bad Villain story that will span three games would be a mistake. Having one game to give you more breathing room to get back into the universe and to see what has changed since or compared to the events of the last games would be invaluable. More Time to establish characters too.

Toa TAK

Banned
Omega had "big" decisions like
sacrificing citizens or not during the reactor part, or letting the Cerberus general live or not,
just like it had minor decisions like telling Aria to call the fuck down or telling Nyreen that you don't trust her.

How is that any different than past ME choices? You have big (that can kill people) and small decisions which might affect what happen later in the mission, just like they always did in the past.

It just felt like a dull add on. I have no reason to care about Omega other than War-Assets, and even by then I have enough without them. Aria is flat here, too. She had more spunk in ME2. Nyreen and Aria's conversations feel forced, the general maybe the only good character here, but even he isn't completely explored beyond "I'm pretty brilliant, so don't even try." And for such brilliance he doesn't do anything when you finally get him one on one.

The choices felt bland and had little build up. How many times have we had to make these same type of choices? The difference here is that it didn't feel like it would've mattered the other way. I don't care for Omega, or the new characters introduced. It just felt like a boring, overpriced, DLC that felt like a chore to play through. It wasn't good. Leviathan was better than this. /opinion

Sounds like it will be a sequel, albeit not a direct one. On one hand, I'm happy if that's the case since I really don't want a prequel or side story. On the other hand, I don't know the hell they are going to pull it off.

Basch

I must be one of the only people who loved Mass Effect 3 (either my favorite of the trilogy or second favorite next to the original). I'm eagerly looking forward to what they have in store. Though, I thought Casey said they wouldn't be doing anymore trilogies for a long while. Apparently not according to these quotes.

Bazza

I must be one of the only people who loved Mass Effect 3 (either my favorite of the trilogy or second favorite next to the original). I'm eagerly looking forward to what they have in store. Though, I thought Casey said they wouldn't be doing anymore trilogies for a long while. Apparently not according to these quotes.

I loved ME3 and think it was better than 1 and 2 in many ways and i think the vast majority also like the game but the ending was terrible, the final 5-10 mins left such a bitter taste in my mouth that it soured my memory's of the entire series.

Basch

I loved ME3 and think it was better than 1 and 2 in many ways and i think the vast majority also like the game but the ending was terrible, the final 5-10 mins left such a bitter taste in my mouth that it soured my memory's of the entire series.

I actually loved the ending. All of it. I'm glad they stuck to their guns and wouldn't have changed a thing. To each their own.

Rapstah

I find it odd that they would switch the engine and re-design everything for a third time, fourth time for some of the things that were changed between ME2 and ME3, but I guess if they're doing it right there's a chance this turns out pretty good. Or we get the Dragon Age 2 of the Mass Effect series, which would be pretty interesting too from an analysis standpoint.

Omega

Banned
Fuck it, just do a reboot and we will all gladly pretend this trilogy didn't exist or we'll just put it in the pile with the other fan fiction garbage on the bsn forums.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I find it odd that they would switch the engine and re-design everything for a third time, fourth time for some of the things that were changed between ME2 and ME3, but I guess if they're doing it right there's a chance this turns out pretty good. Or we get the Dragon Age 2 of the Mass Effect series, which would be pretty interesting too from an analysis standpoint.

Well I would hope they are going to take things in a new direction and not simply make a new game with the same stuff.

My dream game would be a space sim/tps/rpg hybrid. It would be amazing to have a game where you really get to explore the galaxy controlling your ship and also walk around planets and stations, occasionally blowing fools away in person and also having a whole crew to manage and interact with.

Top Bottom