• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Got these back-to-back from amiibo tonight, so that was pretty cool.

C7airApUwAEcHDs.jpg

C7aivyxVoAAoC5N.jpg

And I ran into this...rather irritating situation last week.

C7aja7RUwAAJ5oL.jpg

Oh man, if most of the shrines were as good as the last 3-4 I've did, I'd have much less of a "problem" with them. I say "problem" because I do like them but they're not always great, however there's some real standouts that had me super giddy.

AaronMT86

Found the last Great Fairy.
Any tips to get 10k rupees? Just spent the 6k I had to buy the full Ancient set, and used all my gems buying and upgrading jewellery. At least the guy at the nearby stable gave me 500 rupees to offer on his behalf lol.

Also found my second last memory nearby, only one remaining is the one
right at Hyrule Castle

Just sell all your gems, it's so easy to get them back again.

No game has me continuously uttering the word 'wow' as much as this game does. Its sense of exploration is just ever so gracious. I just came across the
Forgotten
temple.

Can anyone tell me how this game handles saves? Everything is Autosaves and there aren't any save slots, so what happens if I beat the game and want to start a new save? Can I keep my old file around or will it get overwritten?

sonto340

Can anyone tell me how this game handles saves? Everything is Autosaves and there aren't any save slots, so what happens if I beat the game and want to start a new save? Can I keep my old file around or will it get overwritten?
I just set up a new user account. Needed one for a Japanese account anyway.

1upsuper

Can anyone tell me how to finish the Kass questline?
I have solved all of his songs and now he's outside Rito village saying he wants to tell me something someday or something like that.

atr0cious

I think only 2 fountains have those growing beside them?

And now we know why thirsty fairies have infinite endurance.

I don't know how many fountains there are. So far I've found
3 fairies and the horse god
and all of them have carrots next to them.

I think when all is said and done I might become a speedrunner for this game. I think a 100% shrine run would be amazing to do/watch just to see the ways people do the puzzles.

vareon

No game has me continuously uttering the word 'wow' as much as this game does. Its sense of exploration is just ever so gracious. I just came across the
Forgotten
temple.

This place is insane and I just happen to stumble upon it while gathering ores. Ran away like little shit before laughing as hard as I can, then got back in crazy prepared.

Formless

Finished all the shrines but took tonight to explore the area south of Hyrule Castle on foot and horseback, which I'd not done too much of.

I went immediately north/northeast after the plateau so revisiting those places was a trip. I wasn't weak and running from Moblins this time. Saved a bunch of villagers to the east deftly and found a bunch of Korok seeds I'd missed. And found a blue horse.

Oh man, if most of the shrines were as good as the last 3-4 I've did, I'd have much less of a "problem" with them. I say "problem" because I do like them but they're not always great, however there's some real standouts that had me super giddy.

Is "Blue Flames" one of them? I like the length of that one. If every shrine was that substantial my thirst of traditional dungeons would have been quenched.

I went there but what was I the supposed to do? They just ran off.

Bunnies: you attack and they spill rupees. The king of the Mountain, ie the Buck, is a mountable animal. You sneak up to mount. You need an excessive stamina bar and may even have to pop a stamina elixer mid-mount. He is not registerable like the horses so once you hop off, that's it.

I just set up a new user account. Needed one for a Japanese account anyway.

Yeah, but, like, is that it? I don't really want a whole bunch of extra user accounts on my Switch on the off chance that I want to play Zelda again from the beginning.

Finished all the shrines and did like half the side quests.

I think that's a good stopping point for me. I might come back later, but most of those side quests aren't exactly fun. The shrines kept me engaged from start to finish.

I think from a sequel I want it to be a little closer to a 'traditional' Zelda game.

Keep the general game systems, but have a smaller world with more proper dungeons.

Keep the idea of giving you a main toolset at the start, but add in traditional items on top of that. Make it so you need X item for Y dungeon, but put the item out in the world somewhere rather than behind the dungeons mid-boss.

And cool Dark Souls inspired boss fights at the end of the dungeons please ;)

Anyone know why there's a random metal door in the bottom of that pond? I don't think there's any korok puzzles nearby

C7Z48aBUwAEQX3C.jpg

It's south of the stable that get hits by lightning in the Faron jungles

C7Z5K5FVsAAp0Nn.jpg

Try freezing a column underneath it?

There's nothing underneath it. Besides it's at the bottom of the pool floor it's not floating (metal)

There's probably a wooden treasure chest underneath it. Try removing it and see if something floats.

Tried that, nothing underneath. It's strange though because this area is full of boulders with wooden chests under them. In any other game I would go "huh" and move on but this game trained me to expect something behind everything even somewhat oddly placed.

random25

Anyone know why there's a random metal door in the bottom of that pond? I don't think there's any korok puzzles nearby

C7Z48aBUwAEQX3C.jpg

It's south of the stable that get hits by lightning in the Faron jungles

C7Z5K5FVsAAp0Nn.jpg

There's probably a wooden treasure chest underneath it. Try removing it and see if something floats.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Good lord game, after 70 plus hours and 4 completed divine beasts - how can there still be two giant areas (I see them towers) and entirely new ecosystems in South Hyrule I haven't even explored yet?!

Story time: Just had a lovely session of wandering. Took Blue, my horse, from the Outskirts Stable down the road west and to the south. I set her on automatic on a relaxed canter and make the decision to pay attention to my surroundings. Here's what happened:

- I stop at a crying lady by the road.
Of course I suspect her to be Yiga clan, but when I ask her what she wanted, she throws me for a loop and asks for a salmon dish.... followed by MY LIFE. I just upgraded to level 3 armour, so perhaps she scaled up as well, sporting a nasty 40-dmg demon carver 2-handed chakra. Dispatched her and took that as my main weapon.
- I cross
Hylia Bridge in sorry shape and see some sort of thunder dragon diving in and out of the water. I had heard the same music play just hours before at the summit of Mount Lanyaru and now know what to do. I arc an arrow along its side and got myself my first Farosh scale. Need one more for the Champion's tunic upgrade. Score!
- Rain starts to pour. Super atmospheric as Blue and I move down a narrowing forest path.
Faron Woods - over seventy hours in and I now realize I haven't even been to one of Hyrule's major regions. I stop to look at a sign for directions and spot a lady hiding under a shelter waiting out the storm. We had a chat about whether dead horses can be brought back to life. She believes it's over in the Faron Grasslands, but I'm heading the other way, to Lurelin village. The prospect of finding another town is too tempting. The clouds break and we depart, heading our separate ways.
- The sound changes,
and it's clearly transitioning towards more tropical climes. I put on my headphones and listen to the noise of the jungle. I am in marvel at how this game blends biomes and environment into a seamless world. An oxen with giant horns is disgruntled and I think tries to charge me, but misses. I pay it no heed.
- I hear someone screaming off to the right.
A moblin is attacking a woman, and I jump off my horse and slow-mo pop an arrow into its ugly green mug. But he has company and his companion, hidden in the tall grass, gets a good shot in and knocks me down. Lucky with the upgraded gear. I turn around and slice him up good with my new demon carver and collect his guts, good upgrade materials. The woman is grateful, gives me a sneaky elixir, and says that she doesn't want to be out here, but her sister is making her come out to forage for truffles. I see them scurry off to the base of another tree. It's so neat that NPC's are active and out and doing their own thing. Later on I remember and stop off to grab a truffle too.
- I meet a merchant and his unruly donkey on the path towards
Lurelin village. Evidently he just came from there and had some delicious seafood to sell. Everyone seems to rave about the seafood there. I buy some porgies from him because that was the first time I'd seen porgies, plus his entire stock of hightail lizards for my climbing gear upgrade. Next time when I stop at the Great Fairy. Moving on.
- I hear
Kass' accordian tunes before I see him, and the minstrel sings me a verse about a dragon with splayed jaws in the Damel Forest. I don't have a map yet so I don't know where that is, but I keep it at the back of my head. Kass' shrine quests are always fun to figure out, like that one in the Gerudo Highlands - you know the one!
- Finally a stable,
deep in the sweltering jungle. Beedle seems to be enjoying the area, and one of the horse attendents complains of frequent thunderstrikes scaring the animals. I climb up to the top of the horse tent and found that someone had put a metal axe up there. Such a clever way to hint at a game mechanic. In gratitude she gives me a piece of electrically resistant gear. I cannot believe there is yet another set of armour in this game.

TL;DR
Went for a horseride. Met some people. Killed some fools. Learned some lore. Traveled to new locales. Scored some loot. Had a lot of fun.

Tahnit

Banned
I just ran into a little fishing village randomly. Nothing pointing me there just happened to stumble on it. And I was about to go and do the last beast.

I love that I could have missed that village if I didn't explore. Now I'm wondering what else I'm missing. I'm 100 hours in and still enthralled.

vareon

One great way to play the game is to not fast travel after you went out of your way to find a shrine/memories/any interesting place. There's always something interesting in your sight. This is the best adventure game ever.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
One great way to play the game is to not fast travel after you went out of your way to find a shrine/memories/any interesting place. There's always something interesting in your sight. This is the best adventure game ever.

I feel bad that I had to abandon my horse, but it wouldn't learn how to climb mountains with me. I need a flying horse =C

Best adventure game ever.

I just ran into a little fishing village randomly. Nothing pointing me there just happened to stumble on it. And I was about to go and do the last beast.

I love that I could have missed that village if I didn't explore. Now I'm wondering what else I'm missing. I'm 100 hours in and still enthralled.
Yeah, this was a pleasant surprise for me. Had zero idea it existed.

watershed

Banned
I can't believe I'm asking this question for the first time but is there a place I can sell weapons? The general store in Hateno Village doesn't take any. I want to sell some for major rupees.

Ultimadrago

This was my first thought:

I instantly let an arrow loose and it died. >__>

D: If only it dropped Rupees!

I can't believe I'm asking this question for the first time but is there a place I can sell weapons? The general store in Hateno Village doesn't take any. I want to sell some for major rupees.

I don't think I ever found one. After the first few towns didn't I gave up on trying though.

Kyzon

Scanned in my Ganondorf amiibo for the first time 3 explosive barrels and a chest. The chest lands on an explosive barrel, everything goes nuclear and I die.

XD this game never fails to deliver.

vareon

No place to sell or buy weapons (though a lot of weapons respawn in fixed area after a few nights).

duckroll

Finished the Rito dungeon. A bit of a letdown after the Gerudo area. The main quest here felt rather thin, the characters less interesting, and the boss was a cake walk. The dungeon itself was pretty damn cool though. I love flying machines. I think I'm going to stick around this area for a while clearing the rest of the quests and exploring this though.

Finished the Rito dungeon. A bit of a letdown after the Gerudo area. The main quest here felt rather thin, the characters less interesting, and the boss was a cake walk. The dungeon itself was pretty damn cool though. I love flying machines. I think I'm going to stick around this area for a while clearing the rest of the quests and exploring this though.

Be sure to soak in the music in the village. Such a great tune.

Too bad. Maybe Nintendo didn't want people to farm weapons for money? It seems like it should be an option. Strange really...

Rupees is my biggest complaint with the game. I had to exploit a mini game to get what I needed which is a lot (20k total I want to say)

Ultimadrago

Unrelated, but Rito kids are the cutest kids!

NEO0MJ

So, how can I kill
or at least knock off parts, from those giant dragons? I tried wearing fire resisting gear before jumping on the red one but was knocked out, Andi had no idea how to approach the electric one. Just hit the giant scales with bomb arrows?

KarmaCow

So, how can I kill
or at least knock off parts, from those giant dragons? I tried wearing fire resisting gear before jumping on the red one but was knocked out, Andi had no idea how to approach the electric one. Just hit the giant scales with bomb arrows?

You don't need bomb arrows, normal arrows work fine. You can only get one drop from them every in-game day since once you hit it once with an arrow, it flies off into the sky. Just hit the part that you want and watch where the sparkle flies off to. Maybe use a bow with extended range since getting close can be dangerous.

So, how can I kill

There are two main parts to target: horns on their heads or scales (which , really, drop if you hit them anywhere that's not a horn). Once you hit them, watch for a flashy item that leaves a stary trail as it falls to the ground. Easy to miss when the dragons are unloading on you.

Ultimadrago

So, how can I kill

You don't need Bomb Arrows. Standard will do. But when a dragon comes nearby, there should be gusts that accompany them. Ride the gusts get close and use some arrows in slow-mo to hit the body. A sparkle will shine and blast off into a direction, that is the scale. You can't kill them.

Edit: Super beaten

Golnei

Too bad. Maybe Nintendo didn't want people to farm weapons for money? It seems like it should be an option. Strange really...

That does seem like a strange place to draw the line, given that you can abuse recipes to do the same. But I guess that does kind of work as a reward for interacting with the cooking system, while weapons would just be picked up and sold off. It'd also potentially damage the inventory management / weapon durability mechanic by providing another reason to not use your weapons.

Wagram

Without spoilers can anyone say if the game has plentiful meaningful dungeons (not the shrines)? I remember pre-release people were concerned it only had like 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom