• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant spider traps terrified family inside their home

norm9

Thankfully Huntsman spiders are harmless. They look intimidating as fuck though when you come across one. I got in my car to drive home from work one day and there was one hiding in between the furthest left side of my car door and where it comes together with the car, near the hinge. Scuttled INTO a hole in the car door. Suffice to say I was nervous the entire trip home. Get home, get out of car and the fucker was on the roof. How he got there still stumps me to this day.

Harmless. -__-

While the large creatures can give a fairly painful bite, it is not considered dangerous to humans, resulting instead in localized swelling and pain, and occasionally nausea, vomiting, and heart palpitations.

Zushin

Harmless. -__-

When you live near brown snakes, tiger snakes, red belly black snakes and red back spiders the huntsman is harmless lol.

Edit: and that's just near where I live. Poor bastards near Sydney with the funnel Web :|

But yeah you actually rarely come across these things fortunately.

Is it me or are spiders getting bigger and bigger? I'm expecting stuff like what was in the Mist to show up next year in people's backyards.

giphy.gif

Australia is weird.

I freaking screamed out loud when I scrolled down and saw this.

Thankfully Huntsman spiders are harmless. They look intimidating as fuck though when you come across one. I got in my car to drive home from work one day and there was one hiding in between the furthest left side of my car door and where it comes together with the car, near the hinge. Scuttled INTO a hole in the car door. Suffice to say I was nervous the entire trip home. Get home, get out of car and the fucker was on the roof. How he got there still stumps me to this day.

Efffffffffff thaaaaaaaaat!

Yeah, most big spiders are relatively harmless because they don't have strong venom because they rely more on their size to overpower prey.

It's the tiny ones like funnel webs or black widows you have to look out for because they have strong enough venom to melt your bodily tissues.

Voyevoda

How can people live there! It's like real life Fallout.

Been here in Aussie for nine months, after 22 years in inoffensive Europe, hearing tales of how terrifying life in Australia would be (fauna-wise), and honestly, it's not.

Yes, you see the occasional snake and spider, but nothing close to a real-life Fallout or Dark Souls. :)

I'm sorry but I would have shot it. There's a difference from having spiders around to keep out pest and this. Does this thing feed on the neighborhood stray cats and dogs? Fuck that.

norm9

Brb canceling my trip to Australia.

Cancel Britain too; article from this week about a different spider.

The giant 18cm arachnid had hitched a ride from Brisbane to Britain – a journey of around 10,000 miles – and was found among suitcases.

It turned out he had survived by eating locusts which were also among the belongings.

Shocked staff immediately called the RSPCA who managed to safely confine the large spider without being bitten.

jmdajr

HORRIFYING!!!!!

Animator

"Ms Ansell said her boyfriend tried to squash it in the door, but it instead fell off and scurried off into the garden."

Yea they fucked up.....they fucked up bad.

BroBot

I think it's time for me to sell my car and use public transit.

Indelible

This is the reason I will never travel to Australia, I would probably have a heart attack if I saw a spider that big.

Elandyll

Banned
Ms Ansell said her boyfriend tried to squash it in the door, but it instead fell off and scurried off into the garden.
... Where it is now plotting its revenge, which probably involves laying hundreds of eggs inside their paralyzed bodies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Link doesn't work... fake news?

Edit: WTF, I clicked again and now it works

Edit 2: that video of the eggs hatching at the bottom..... fuuuuuuu nightmare fuel

I just thought how horrible it would be to wake up with that thing crawling on my face at night. One leg touching the ears, another the lips, another the forehead. I'm getting clamy just thinking how I would react when waking up. Get window screens australians.

Top Bottom